this is the official way to unlock bootloader
if you want to keep ur DRM keys, first root device and then check this out
This procedure will wipe the /data partition of your phone, so you will loose all ur stored data, settings. INTERNAL SDCARD will BE WIPED!!!
For Xperia™ devices released 2013 or later (for example Xperia™ Z and Xperia™ ZL), the SD card of your device will be formatted and you will lose all content (for example photos, music, videos) when you unlock the boot loader.
older Xperia devices sometimes got issues after unlock of bootloader (BRICK after FOTA update) - you have been warned
why to unlock bootloader?
- u can flash custom ROMs/Kernels
- u dont need to worry if the new firmware can be rooted or not as with unlocked bootloader u can always ROOT ur device
- Sony gives sneak-peaks/preview builds of latest OS which requires unlocked bootloaders, as they did with Xperia 2011/2012 line, so who knows may be Sony may give early builds of next android OS
Most of this is taken from lollylost100's his tutorial from ARC thread (all credits for that concise tutorial go to him, i have elaborated on a few things and added device specific changes)
[ before we begin unlocking bootloader ]
- get the IMEI code for ur device: type *#06# in phone dialer to find it out, note only the digits (no dashes)
- download the fastboot package
- IMPORTANT: if you are using Windows 8 you will need to enable few things to allow driver installation
- download the latest FlashTool Xperia Driver Pack and install fastboot drivers (common) & adb drivers for this device from the list!
- make sure u have a windows PC with USB cable to connect the phone
- power down ur phone and keeping the Volume Up button pressed connect the USB cable to PC this will trigger FASTBOOT mode and windows will start driver installation, which should be automatically done
- once drivers are installed just disconnect cable and power on device
[ how to unlock ] (official way)
- Go to: http://unlockbootloader.sonymobile.com/ and read everything!
- At the bottom click 'Start Unlocking the Bootloader'
First, you should confirm that it is possible to unlock the boot loader of your phone by checking the service menu. In your phone, open the dialler and enter *#*#7378423#*#* to access the service menu.
In your phone, tap Service info > Configuration > Rooting Status. If Bootloader unlock allowed says Yes, then you can continue with the next step. If it says No, or if the status is missing, your device cannot be unlocked.
- after u have verified that u can unlock bootloader, scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Continue"
- you will get numerous prompts, read all info and if u agree click on "Accept"/"OK"/"Proceed"
- finally u will get a "Create Unlock request" page, enter your IMEI (sometimes the last digit needs to be removed for this to work), name and email address
- You should now receive your unique unlock key via EMAIL, SAVE THIS KEY SAFELY
- Extract fastboot_with_Android_USB_file.rar and open fastboot folder
- Hold SHIFT and right click on the background of the folder
- Select 'Open command window here'
- Connect your phone in fastboot mode (turn phone off, hold Volume UP button and plug in USB Cable) [make sure drivers are installed as explained above)
- In the cmd windows type in fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce getvar version
- If a value is returned (it will return 0.5), it means the phone is correctly connected
- Type in fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce oem unlock 0xKEY and replace KEY with the key which u received earlier.
- You're device should now be bootloader unlocked
If this tutorial is too much for you then itskapil wrote a step-by-step guide (and recorded a video also):
(the above videos and some steps are for Xperia 2011 devices, but most the steps are same for Xperia SP)
Relock procedure is posted here