Software Uptdare 07/09/13

Search This thread

its_dale

Nov 26, 2012
FYI, just checked my phone for an update and it is now downloading the 357.38MB update. I am not rooted btw

amhatter

Sep 1, 2012
Erwin
Just did this myself, any idea what it is? Wondering if this is the security patch?...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

its_dale

Nov 26, 2012
Is this the apps to SD update? I think the sprint update was about 357MB.

still downloading. it took forever to "check for update". Some apps have updates (like Facebook) that give option to add the app to an SD card. This is probably what it is. Im a noob to android btw.. just letting people know an update is out.

AxAtAx

Mar 14, 2011
ViSiON,Texas
I do not think this is wise, but I think the update is a patch that blocks the loki unlock the devs achieved. need to be careful with these updates as the devs have warned us about. I could be wrong here.

Oh well. let us know the outcome if you don't mind.

The Ax says that this is MY OPINION ONLY!

Reactions: Thermalwolf

Aou

Aug 4, 2008
Arizona
I do not think this is wise, but I think the update is a patch that blocks the loki unlock the devs achieved. need to be careful with these updates as the devs have warned us about. I could be wrong here.

Oh well. let us know the outcome if you don't mind.

The Ax says that this is MY OPINION ONLY!

You are correct - it's usually a good idea to hold off on taking any OTA updates before knowing what they do. To keep from getting OTA updates, use something like Titanium backup to freeze or otherwise disable three specific apps:
Correct. To block future OTA updates, "Freeze" the following three applications:
AT&T Software update Vxx_x_xxxx_x_x
FWUpgrade x.x.x
LocalFOTA vx_xxxx_x_x

Freezing (with Titanium Backup) will keep them from running, and effectively hide them from the rest of your system. Otherwise, you may find a way to backup and uninstall them completely, but this is more risky if you're ever planning to take an OTA update in the future.

its_dale

Nov 26, 2012
Apps can now be moved to SD card.. i have a notification that says "Device Management- Connecting to DM server..." and its been like that for a good 5 mins. Wish i can help with more, but again, Im stock and new to android

mattpayne92

Jan 27, 2012
Amherst
I got an upgrade too and it started downloading when I checked but I quickly bought the titanium pro version to freeze the upgrade apps to stop the download until we know if this is some kind of security update

Sent from my SGH-I337 using xda app-developers app

HiTideBlastoise

Nov 4, 2012
Any other way to stop it? I'm not rooted, but been tempted too lately. If not, can't change what I've done so no worries.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda app-developers app

Edited:

I turned off my wifi and it interrupted the update and stopped downloading it. I am not updating till something is released about it.

Last edited:

amhatter

Sep 1, 2012
Erwin
Talked to ATT, app2sd, audio clipping issue with headphones fix, removed a wallpaper and added 2 back, and some msging fix. I think there was a few other things as well, he said a security patch as well, but no real information on what.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Aou

Aug 4, 2008
Arizona
I'll take the risk and attempt to download the patch without letting it install, and post its contents here. Wish me luck. :p

Reactions: AxAtAx

scott14719

Dec 24, 2011
Well, plenty of warning has been given about waiting to apply this update until it is cleared as safe, so if anyone decides to ignore the warnings, too bad. If it's safe, it'll be known soon enough. I'm just wondering how many other threads will be made about it...anyone taking bets?

Thermalwolf

Mar 13, 2011
Austintown, Ohio
Yea I would definitely hold off on this update considering how long AT&T has had time now to play with it. Even an above post said the ATT rep said it was also a security update with no other info. Seems suspicious...

Be wise in your choices gentlemen; that's all I have to say :)

Radukk

Jul 25, 2010
I337UCUAMF3, MF3 baseband

Kernel June 5th build

New Battery Manager, Data Manager apps (just shortcut to setting menu)

Looks like same as I9505 MF8 build

Secure Boot status.. KNOX thingy for enterprise MDM only so no worries

Cusa

Dec 25, 2011
Can someone upload only the baseband/modem so the rest of us can flash?

Sent from my SGH-I337

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Taken straight from \cache\fota\2400258.cfg, here is the I337UCUAMF3 OTA update:

http://d-h.st/vBt

Simply rename the file with a .zip extension to open it.

If someone would like to mirror this to a more permanent location, that would be appreciated.

EDIT: Uploaded to Dev-Host, so link has changed.
    Taken straight from \cache\fota\2400258.cfg, here is the I337UCUAMF3 OTA update:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46129395/2400258.cfg

Simply rename the file with a .zip extension to open it.

If someone would like to mirror this to a more permanent location, that would be appreciated.

I was able to make full stock rooted ROM of MF3 from this....

Thanks again for posting it. I will post a stock rooted ROM in about 2 hours... Slow ass upload speeds, lol

ATT%20Update.png

Everyone should thank that dudes post! He hooked us up PROPER!
    Here's a flashable zip of the MF3 modem ONLY. The zip should work, but I can't attest to the anything that may happen to your device as a result of the new modem.

http://www.mediafire.com/?67m2wlhukg7c8vj

Gonna assume everyone has the common sense to read through this thread BEFORE flashing, as this kind of stuff can mess up your phone pretty bad if done wrong.
    Nothing is "uncrackable", people. There might be some misunderstanding here about what it means to blow a qfuse/efuse. It's been stated around the forums plenty of times before, but usually only deep within Dev conversations about hacking bootloaders, etc.

If I'm wrong in any of this, please feel free to correct me (that's what the internet is for, right?).

It's simple - an e-fuse is designed to do one thing: increment. When the bootloader is flashed to a new major version (often correcting numerous exploits, along with some bug fixing or improvements), the manufacturer or carrier will often decide they don't want anyone going back to earlier versions. In the case of the S4 with KNOX expectations of security, this makes total sense (how could a government agency or large corporation guarantee that their employees are not rooting their phones and bypassing security measures set in place by the company? Or even malware that applies the root exploit for itself?).

When the newer firmware is flashed, the e-fuse gets incremented (to a "2" in this case, it appears). Any firmware with a "1" will be refused by Odin on the phone. These e-fuses are again designed to only increment, never decrement - meaning if you're at a "2", there's no hope that you can ever get your e-fuse back to a "1" again.

In terms of hacking, bootloaders, root, etc.: This just means that whatever exploits and bug fixes have been made are now permanent. That doesn't mean that new exploits cannot be made.

One of the biggest questions I will have: Does the refusal to apply an older firmware (through Odin) also imply the refusal to boot said firmware (if somehow loaded by another means - via dd or JTAG for example)?

I'm hoping to find out sometime this week.

EDIT/ADD:

And yes, jeboo is correct. They could always release a new firmware, and increment the e-fuse again to a "3" whilst still unlocking the bootloaders. The bootloaders are only "locked" because they are currently programmed not to load "whatever we want". Just remember the chain:
    PBL -> SBL1 -> SBL2 -> SBL3 -> ABOOT. The PBL is physical and can't be changed without hardware modification. But the rest of those can be changed. Usually custom bootloaders would be loaded in the later stages (aboot for example). But with sbl2 and sbl3 checking for signatures and such, there's no hope to do this without bricking instantly. If AT&T were to push an unlocked version of SBL2 and SBL3 in a future patch, these new pieces of the bootloader could be designed to be successfully loaded by PBL/SB1, but also not check for signatures on ABOOT.
    Update on neutered OTA:

Complete! Uploading shortly. I will be starting a new thread with a full write-up on how to install MF3 on your own device while keeping your current recovery and rooting the new MF3. Also, I've zipped up my modified MF3 SecSettings.apk to remove SysScope. That means you'll have the option to get MF3 without the "Custom" status or logo. ;)

(To those wondering if it is possible to root the new MF3 if you were forced to get it, I cannot help you, I'm sorry. The method involves simply flashing a zip from recovery. If you've taken the full, unaltered MF3 OTA update, you will notice you no longer have a custom recovery!)

I need to go upload a lot of files and finish the write-up. Once complete, I'll run my device through the instructions one last time as a final test.

As usual, "Stay tuned." I'll post a link her ein this thread to the new thread when it is created. ;)