PSA: DO NOT UPDATE TO MF3 - You lose Motochopper, Loki, Rootkeeper and ODIN Downgrade

Search This thread

polish_pat

Nov 30, 2011
Montreal
If you want to keep root, don't update to today's MF3 OTA as it break motochopper exploit and prevents Rootkeeper from working

Some members have sacrificed themselves:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=43420412&postcount=57

Anybody knows if it break Loki too?

It has been well documented that trying to ODIN back to MDL does not work and causes an immediate fail

If you wish to have the new features then run GoldenEye ROM, a fantastic i9505 MF8 based ROM that runs smooth as melted butter. It also has all latest MF3 additions such as App2SD, audio flickering and sms fix

Last edited:

polish_pat

Nov 30, 2011
Montreal
If you can't root, you can't install custom recovery. Can't install custom recovery, can't loki...

If using customer recovery, I don't think the update will apply.

The question should be answered once root is achieved.

It might break motochopper, but what tells you that once another root method is found, loki will still work? that was my question

J

jetlitheone

It's not going to break loki I don't think, it has KNOX but thats a seperate bootloader that allows apps to run with full security, our phone doesnt boot into Knox mode.

popfan

Jan 26, 2011
Might have to do the same thing we had to do in the Motorola Atrix HD - edit some of the XML files out and then flash it though ODIN.

Justin1123

Jul 9, 2013
I just got my S4 today and updated it outside of the box. I'm now trying to root.

I know that the motochopper method is broken, but is the odin method broken?

J

jetlitheone

I just got my S4 today and updated it outside of the box. I'm now trying to root.

Odin method ? Of you're asking if you can downgrade the answer is sadly no

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

WoodburyMan

Jun 7, 2011
Connecticut

To late :( Can't downgrade. You'll have to wait and be patient until a new exploit is found for the new firmware.

To boot I did the same thing. My S4 came with AMDB installed. I updated out of box to AMDL without even checking first in the parking lot of the AT&T store. Got home and luckily found AMDL was still rootable.

fabster530

Jul 30, 2012
I have one question.... what exactly does this update do besides patch stuff because its 300+ mb? Just wondering because I had to freeze my att updater:)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

polish_pat

Nov 30, 2011
Montreal
I have one question.... what exactly does this update do besides patch stuff because its 300+ mb? Just wondering because I had to freeze my att updater:)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

heared it fixes some sms and audio glitches, brings hdr video recording, brings app2sd,

- More stable performance.
- Semi-transparent status bar.
(see screenshots)
- More free RAM.
- New Apps to SD Card feature that
lets you move an app to the SD Card.
- Improvement in camera picture quality.
- New “Increase legibility” feature that
can be found under Settings> My Device> Display.
- New Smart Pause toggle in Quick Settings under
Notification Panel.
- Improvements in the S Planner app (calendar app).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thread cleaned
    Please keep all drama in PMs
    As respect is a rule please respect all members
    If you do not like someone's post, ignore it, move on
    Thank you for your cooperation
    Friendly Neighborhood Moderator
    If you want to keep root, don't update to today's MF3 OTA as it break motochopper exploit and prevents Rootkeeper from working

Some members have sacrificed themselves:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=43420412&postcount=57

Anybody knows if it break Loki too?

It has been well documented that trying to ODIN back to MDL does not work and causes an immediate fail

If you wish to have the new features then run GoldenEye ROM, a fantastic i9505 MF8 based ROM that runs smooth as melted butter. It also has all latest MF3 additions such as App2SD, audio flickering and sms fix
    i think we all knew this day would come.

Maybe I should put my rootable, ODINable S4 on EBAY for $2,000.00:D
    I have been trying to tell everyone that...

DO NOT UPDATE PERIOD
    actually for myself and my gf, this effectively means no warranty support as samsung would probably update to latest firmware during a fix (please let me know if i am wrong here but i assume they would update all firmware during a repair)