[HOW TO] Barclays Mobile Banking working on rooted S3

Search This thread

smegal

Jul 3, 2012
I do hope someone finds a way round it. I never found a standard ruu for my phone and operator, so am stuck.

scote

Mar 30, 2007
I do hope someone finds a way round it. I never found a standard ruu for my phone and operator, so am stuck.

I was on the phone to them this morning and told them I had reflashed stock and it still didn't work. The person in the escalation team said it was a problem with samsung devices because their app now use the flash counter and modification status among other checks for root and they said it is very difficult to undo these things, I told them it was not, and people have to do these things to make warranty claims. So I said to them that was not a valid check for root, they said if you have ever rooted or flashed/jailbroken you would not be able to use their app and you should speak to samsung. Complete b****t.
I am just d'ling a 4.1.2 rom and will root it and run triangle away and see if I can get the status to unmodified and see if that fixes it then unroot. I may even need to wipe too, going to be painfull.
Then see if I can get a hidden root installed.
I wonder how long barclays will allow the old app to access the server? My problems started with a server exception, then I uninstalled and reinstalled. They have to reset your registration for you to reinstall. I bet their support people are busy at the moment

smegal

Jul 3, 2012
Strangely, my Barclaycard app updated today. Now it seems to work. I guess they realised that excluding unrooted phones is a but harsh. I've turned auto updates off in case.

blakey1971

Mar 2, 2010
1.3.3 Still working

yeah my tutorial is no longer working either, looking for a way around it currently.

so does 1.3.3 actually still work as I can bypass root on that but I couldn't get the app to work

Sent from my Xperia Play

---------- Post added at 01:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 AM ----------

OK it works today seems it was a server issue.

Sent from my Xperia Play

Yes 1.3.3 is still working on my phone, downloaded the app from here and uninstalled supersu, reinstalled supersu and updated the binary, installed 1.3.3 and re-registered and works fine. Even updated to 1.4.2 just to see if fixed but same trouble as 1.4 and 1.4.1, so just reinstalled 1.3.3 over the top and working fine.

fma965

Nov 20, 2011
cyanlabs.net
just curious does every 1 else keep getting letters in the post when they re-register mobile banking xD i have like 5 now :D

They all say "welcome to mobile banking"

deanr1977

Apr 17, 2011
lost somewhere.... Help
I'm not trolling like you did on my post, I just offered an alternative & maybe an easier option, your way sounds better but I just offered people my way which works just fine for me. You are free to do what ever you like, this is a forum & we are only here to help each other in xda & not fight or squabble. We both are helping rooted barclays mobile banking users a way back to online banking. hope this settles this matter mate & see ya in the forums another day :thumbup:

sent from Tapatalk2 via my Supermodded S3 using UltimaRom v13 & running Boeffla v2.12 beta7 kernel

fma965

Nov 20, 2011
cyanlabs.net
I'm not trolling like you did on my post, I just offered an alternative & maybe an easier option, your way sounds better but I just offered people my way which works just fine for me. You are free to do what ever you like, this is a forum & we are only here to help each other in xda & not fight or squabble. We both are helping rooted barclays mobile banking users a way back to online banking. hope this settles this matter mate & see ya in the forums another day :thumbup:

sent from Tapatalk2 via my Supermodded S3 using UltimaRom v13 & running Boeffla v2.12 beta7 kernel

yeah i know how XDA Work's i wasn't trolling, you would know that if you saw my post count and XDA Status. I was just saying your method won't work for some one on CM nor would it work for any 1 with superuser.apk in /system. IF they don't have the app data (not the apk) already.

Also just to be clear, I'm glad you found a solution but "begging for thanks" and "making new threads for the same things" are not really the best way to go about doing it.

deanr1977

Apr 17, 2011
lost somewhere.... Help
I'm not begging for thanks, if you really want thanks ask nicely & I will add a link to your post? If people want an alternative they can make there own minds up which is best for them? But if you want that link then maybe you should do the same for me

fma965

Nov 20, 2011
cyanlabs.net
I'm not begging for thanks, if you really want thanks ask nicely & I will add a link to your post? If people want an alternative they can make there own minds up which is best for them? But if you want that link then maybe you should do the same for me

deanr1977 said:
4. & the most important thing.... thank me on this post :thumbup:
deanr1977 said:
Enjoy & click thanks or like if this helps
deanr1977 said:
Please don't mirror the download, if you wanna include this in your post just include the link to my post

Yeah not begging for thanks...

I don't want to be thanked i don't care about thanks, i used to but now i don't, Not to mention that RC's are also not allowed to ask for thanks and neither should any 1 IMO, If some one wants to thank you they will :). The thing that annoyed me was it was clear you got information from this thread and yet didn't even mention or give credit to any of the guys here in this thread. You also insisted on not mirroring the file even though its the same as any other 1.3.3 APK

Reactions: Hawke84

deanr1977

Apr 17, 2011
lost somewhere.... Help
Point 4. Was sarcasm.... do you have you no sense of humor?

I did not use any info from your post because it was all from my own knowledge of my own experience while using the bank app when it updated

I would not normally link another's page unless I asked first

Let's just drop this trolling please

I haven't done anything wrong

fma965

Nov 20, 2011
cyanlabs.net
Point 4. Was sarcasm.... do you have you no sense of humor?

I did not use any info from your post because it was all from my own knowledge of my own experience while using the bank app when it updated

I would not normally link another's page unless I asked first

Let's just drop this trolling please

I haven't done anything wrong

LOL, Ok, Not sure how its trolling but ok.

If your method actually works then great, but personally i don't see how it will hence this discussion in the first place, As far as i can see all you was upload a apk and link to it from the existing barclays bank thread, I don't see how using titanium backup with 1.3.3 will make it work unless you already had it installed, and have followed another previous guide.

---------- Post added at 09:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 PM ----------

To show im not trolling i have also just created this thread here - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=43495297#post43495297 - Which has both methods (yours is a link) and mine is in the actual post :)

If you could link to my post from your post as i have for you that would be great :) and sorry if i offended you but it didn't mean to come out like that.

EDIT: A guy completely ripped off my post - http://www.jambr.co.uk/Blog/barclays-on-rooted-phone - its even the same puush link xD can mess him up just by deleting my puu.sh though HAHAHA

Last edited:

VonStarkeGSD

Jul 8, 2011
Manchester
rooted my device last night and this morning brough me to this post as i cannot open the app, I removed the old updated version and have installed the apk file listed above and follow the steps and get the same error message you can not use this app if rooted.

woooson

Jul 12, 2010
Im having problems on my s4 I rooted with chainfires auto root' installed custom rom disabled supersu restored 1.3.1 worked fine!
Reset phone
Pin invalid? Tried twice uninstalled and reset and cleaned cache n dalvik restored again and pin invalid? Gotta call 0333.......... ah well heres hoping ;)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

FinGerS o FuDgE

Jul 21, 2012
London, U.K
Silly question but tried doing this just now but didn't read the last few pages and that it now doesn't work lol :D
I've hidden the SU folder in /system/xbin but now I can find it again to unhide it, even though the 'Show hidden files' is turned to on? :confused:

Edit - Literally found it as soon as I pushed post lol. Noob!

alexktz

Feb 28, 2011
What is the current status of this?

I havn't rooted my Nexus due to this very reason but am very tempted to do so to fix a number of little annoyances software wise.

I successfully got the banking app working on my S4 in the summer last year but things can change quick in this game, so can someone confirm for me either way the current status of this app on a rooted device (from scratch).

TA

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've seen a few threads asking if it is posible to get this working on a rooted S3 so thought I'd share how I got it running. This appears to ONLY work with Barclays apps!

Software Needed:

ES File Explorer (free from Play Store)
    Barclays Mobile Banking / Pingit (also free from the Play Store)

Steps:

1: Open ES Explorer options and make sure you enable 'Up to Root' & 'Root Explorer'.
    2: Navigate to '/system/xbin/' and long press on 'SU' and select 'Hide' from the menu.

NOTE: if you update the SuperSU binary, you will need to do step 2 again!

That's it! No more messing around. You don't need to touch anything else before or after you open the app like temp unroot/hide root. I dont know if Barclays can solve that with an update so I don't plan on updating the app. I'm not a coder and don't know a lot about the technical details of Android so if you run in to problems I can only TRY to help you.

Thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium
    Hello again, found your link and follwed your steps but no luck. Only thing i noticed was that when i went to install
    supersu, it asked me to update not install from the market. So the reinstall button never uninstalled

Was this any different for you?

Yes, it's different for me. The reinstall option worked fine, it fully removed itself.

I'm now on an International S III (I'd had enough of HTC's crappy build quality/problems) and, using the same method as I explained before, it worked a treat.

Step by step:

1. Open SuperSU.
    2. Tap "SETTINGS".
    3. Scroll down until you see "Reinstall". Underneath "Reinstall" it should say "Cleanup for reinstallation from Google Play"
    4. Tap "Reinstall"
    5. It'll show a confirmation box. Tap "Continue"
    6. The app should close, and the SuperSU icon should disappear from your Apps list.
    7. Install SuperSu from Google Play as you would any other app.
    Just as a note, when you first run the reinstalled SuperSU, it will show a message saying that the binary needs updating. I have always let it install the update.

The Barclays Banking and Pingit apps should now work and register without any problems. This includes using the latest version of both apps and SuperSU.
    The Reinstalling worked ace! :)
    What I did by mistake though-
    In SuperSU Settings:
    1) Full unroot
    2) Install Mobile Banking from Market
    3) Go through the steps of activating your account in the app
    4) Flashed SuperSU from zip http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1538053 From Recovery. Because After full unroot I tried installing though market and got error binary cannot be installed.
    5) In SuperSU update binary

In SuperSU Settings
    6) Reinstall
    7) Download SuperSU from Market and update binaries

Final Run Mobile banking again to see if it worked :)
    I have and use Superuser (instead of SuperSU) on my phone, but for some reason SuperSU was also on it. Once I deleted SuperSU from system/app using ES File Explorer, both the Barclays & Pingit apps worked fine, even though the phone is still fully rooted via Superuser.

This tells me that the Barclays App is simply looking for the SuperSU App on your phone - if you don't have it, it assumes all is well and loads.

I guess the App doesn't check if the phone itself is actually rooted, edited or modified in any way, it just looks for the SuperSU app.

Hopefully Barclays wont realise there's also Superuser about, otherwise they'll get the app to look for that too.
    As an update to my previous posts.

This has completely confused the hell out of me, but then I don't code, so it's probably no wonder it's confused me.

My phone died, again (damn you HTC) so I re-installed the ROM i was using. Problem was, the Barclays app started *****ing about root.

Crazily, I found that simply going into SuperSU's settings, tapping "Reinstall" (so it cleans something up on your phone, then removes itself) and then re-installing it from Google Play, somehow makes the Barclays app unable to see that the phone is rooted and it worked perfectly, as does Pingit!

No idea what it does, but I've tried it about 4 times (just to make sure) and it worked every time.