Thanks Meter: 5,409

By daniel_hk, Inactive Recognized Contributor on 6th July 2013, 11:44 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
17th July 2013, 12:14 AM |#31  
Thanks Meter: 135

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by krishaun27

I'm familiar with Odin but have never used it since I'm running Mac os. Mobile Odin doesn't support my device (Verizon galaxy tab 7.7). I tried to twrp over cmr using goo manager but it hasn't worked. Guess I'll just stick with cmr.

Sent

You should be able to flash the recovery of your choice using dd. Extract the image from the tar and figure out what the recovery partition is for i815. It's mmcblk0p6 for both P6800 and P6810, so if you back it up you could try that one for i815... >.> Maybe someone knows for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sas_sas

'CMR' ?

ClockworkMod Recovery (you probably would have just called it cwm).
27th July 2013, 01:18 PM |#32  
Thanks Meter: 209

More
Moderator, please make this thread sticky. Thanks.
16th August 2013, 06:39 PM |#33  
Flag Greenville, SC
Thanks Meter: 767

More
Thanks for your continued efforts to keep the 7.7 alive Daniel! Much appreciated.

You working on 4.3 yet?

Cheers,
-Mike
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike02z For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Mike02z Ad-Free
30th August 2013, 10:24 AM |#34  
@daniel_hk
I have two question
First Is this recovery is a kernel? or just a simple recover? If it is , is it based on 4.1.2?
Second Can I flash other kernel along with this one? will they work with each other?
Huge Thanks
30th August 2013, 05:36 PM |#35  
OP Inactive Recognized Contributor
Flag Hong Kong

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sijav

@daniel_hk
I have two question
First Is this recovery is a kernel? or just a simple recover? If it is , is it based on 4.1.2?
Second Can I flash other kernel along with this one? will they work with each other?
Huge Thanks

You may have a bit mixed with other Samsung devices. Device like i9100 has no seperate partition for recovery. The recovery is merged with the kernel and put in the /boot partition. That means both recovery and normal boot share the same kernel binary.

Our devices has a seperate /recovery partition. Thus a separate kernel binary is needed in the recovery.img. For our devices, official TWRP use is CM9 kernels. I use CM10 and CM10.1 kernels.

Strictly speaking, only the android platform has the version no. 4.x, etc. Kernel is more or less a linux kernel with a different version. From CM9 to CM10.1, the linux kernel version are all 3.0.x but with updated drivers.

This would probably answer both of your questions.

The official TWRP 2.6.0.0 is out 2 days after my build. If I wait a bit longer, I might not waste time on this.
However, I also provide the TWRP for i815 and have same modifications.

Hope your questions are answered.

Edit: To clarify, the kernel version I mentioned "3.0x" is only for our device. Other devices may have differnent kernel version like 3.1.x for CM9, CM10 and/or CM10.1
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to daniel_hk For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift daniel_hk Ad-Free
31st August 2013, 10:30 PM |#36  
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_hk

You may have a bit mixed with other Samsung devices. Device like i9100 has no seperate partition for recovery. The recovery is merged with the kernel and put in the /boot partition. That means both recovery and normal boot share the same kernel binary.

Our devices has a seperate /recovery partition. Thus a separate kernel binary is needed in the recovery.img. For our devices, official TWRP use is CM9 kernels. I use CM10 and CM10.1 kernels.

Strictly speaking, only the android platform has the version no. 4.x, etc. Kernel is more or less a linux kernel with a different version. From CM9 to CM10.1, the linux kernel version are all 3.0.x but with updated drivers.

This would probably answer both of your questions.

The official TWRP 2.6.0.0 is out 2 days after my build. If I wait a bit longer, I might not waste time on this.
However, I also provide the TWRP for i815 and have same modifications.

Hope your questions are answered.

ummm ...
It is the most accurate and greatest answer I have read about this on this device many of my questions have been solved now but still I don't get one thing,
I understands that the twrp official recovery is based on CM9 and yours is based on CM10 and CM10.1 kernels ... but I don't know if I can flash it with stock 4.1.2 Jellybean rom or I have to flash it with cm? ... should I flash yours for rom 4.1.2 or I should flash official?! In general Can I flash this with this 4.1.2 ROM? (If yes yours is better or official? )
1st September 2013, 05:00 AM |#37  
Thanks Meter: 38

More
Quote:

ummm ...
It is the most accurate and greatest answer I have read about this on this device many of my questions have been solved now but still I don't get one thing,
I understands that the twrp official recovery is based on CM9 and yours is based on CM10 and CM10.1 kernels ... but I don't know if I can flash it with stock 4.1.2 Jellybean rom or I have to flash it with cm? ... should I flash yours for rom 4.1.2 or I should flash official?! In general Can I flash this with this 4.1.2 ROM? (If yes yours is better or official? )

Hi,,,, Just want to share mine. I am using Jelly Bean Stock ROM 4.1.2. It works excellent. I flash this recovery using mobile odin.
The Following User Says Thank You to cakrabayu For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift cakrabayu Ad-Free
1st September 2013, 08:47 AM |#38  
Flag Hong Kong

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

ummm ...

Since our device has a seperate /recovery partition, It will not affect the normal boot. One thing might worth noted before making decision. In stock roms, there is a reest function in Settings.This function requires the stock recovery to work properly. It would probably ask the stock recovery to do a factory reset and wipe the internal storage. Custom recovery may not do it in the way stock rom thnk. Sometimes it would corrupt other partitions.

If you never use the above function, it is quite safe to install TWRP. Both official and mine are more or less the same. I map the internal sd to /sdcare while official map to /emmc. Other modification I made may refer to post #1.

Good luck!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daniel_hk For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift daniel_hk Ad-Free
16th November 2013, 10:57 AM |#39  
Account currently disabled
Flag Phuket, Thailand
Thanks Meter: 15,931

Donate to Me
More
Hi Daniel,

Just wondering if you might have an idea to the answer of my problem.

I have successfully flash official P6800 (3G) JB 4,12 firmware on my P6810 (WIFI) device using a pit file.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2523798

All partitions now show that of a P6800 and device works well.

Now the cruncher............

I am only able to successfully flash official P6800 TWRP 2.6.1.0, but my preload partition doesn't show. Without being able to backup that, it's effectively useless. P6800 CWM 6.0.3.0 is the same.

Your P6800 TWRP 2.6.0.0 flails to load & stuck on Samsung screen when try to boot into recovery (flash ok though). The P6810 version flashes and loads but (from memory) doesn't recognise some partitions.

Anyway, in Download mode, my device still states P6810, not P6800. Could this be something to do with the other bootloader partition (SBL1 or SBL2) in dev/block..........p2 or p3 ?

All Odin flashes show the SBL being flashed OK, so the other could be causing a problem?

I'm not really keen to go meddling within a bootloader though.

Any idea or insight?

Thanks,

UITA
16th November 2013, 05:27 PM |#40  
Flag Hong Kong

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpInTheAir

Hi Daniel,

Just wondering if you might have an idea to the answer of my problem.

I have successfully flash official P6800 (3G) JB 4,12 firmware on my P6810 (WIFI) device using a pit file.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2523798

All partitions now show that of a P6800 and device works well.

Now the cruncher............

I am only able to successfully flash official P6800 TWRP 2.6.1.0, but my preload partition doesn't show. Without being able to backup that, it's effectively useless. P6800 CWM 6.0.3.0 is the same.

Your P6800 TWRP 2.6.0.0 flails to load & stuck on Samsung screen when try to boot into recovery (flash ok though). The P6810 version flashes and loads but (from memory) doesn't recognise some partitions.

Anyway, in Download mode, my device still states P6810, not P6800. Could this be something to do with the other bootloader partition (SBL1 or SBL2) in dev/block..........p2 or p3 ?

All Odin flashes show the SBL being flashed OK, so the other could be causing a problem?

I'm not really keen to go meddling within a bootloader though.

Any idea or insight?

Thanks,

UITA

The firmware bootloader (like the bios of an PC.) is not flashable. It can only be reload via JTAG. Download mode is in that bootloader. That's why it always shows p6810.

Recovery partition is in mmcblk0p6, Same for all 7.7 models. Odin doesn't have assert to recognize model.

Did you flash the p6800 recovery? If you use an p6800 PIT, you should use the p6800 recovery to match the partitions.Preload for p6800 is 11 and 10 for p6810. You can always backup the whole partiton with dd cmd. dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p11 of=<a file>. but it would be the whole partition size.

Don't know why my 2.6.0.0 can't boot on your tab. if your PIT is from stock roms, it should work. The only thing I think of may be recovery partition is resized.

There are data in /efs which is unique to p6800 and p6810 but only encrypted partition affected.

Try unpacking the initramfs of the recovery.img to study the mount points. The img is similar to a zImage or boot.img. It is probably the fstab not match.

Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to daniel_hk For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift daniel_hk Ad-Free
16th November 2013, 11:14 PM |#41  
Account currently disabled
Flag Phuket, Thailand
Thanks Meter: 15,931

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_hk

The firmware bootloader (like the bios of an PC.) is not flashable. It can only be reload via JTAG. Download mode is in that bootloader. That's why it always shows p6810.

Recovery partition is in mmcblk0p6, Same for all 7.7 models. Odin doesn't have assert to recognize model.

Did you flash the p6800 recovery? If you use an p6800 PIT, you should use the p6800 recovery to match the partitions.Preload for p6800 is 11 and 10 for p6810. You can always backup the whole partiton with dd cmd. dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p11 of=<a file>. but it would be the whole partition size.

Don't know why my 2.6.0.0 can't boot on your tab. if your PIT is from stock roms, it should work. The only thing I think of may be recovery partition is resized.

There are data in /efs which is unique to p6800 and p6810 but only encrypted partition affected.

Try unpacking the initramfs of the recovery.img to study the mount points. The img is similar to a zImage or boot.img. It is probably the fstab not match.

Good luck!

Yes, you would think it would work. Partitions are identical to that of a P6800. The stock 3e recovery works. Flashing the P6810 recoveries were just an experiment to see what partitions were recognised, but as suspected, not useable. The official TWRP P6800 2.6.1.0 Recovery flashed ok and successfully backup system, data etc, but no option for the preload. I am sure your 2.6.0.0 does have that option (when I used for "P6810" parttioned device), It will flash but no boot. I tried studying the pit with the pit magic pc program, but my knowledge is limited there.

I thought a successful Odin flash would indicate the recovery parttion size size is ok (with other recoveries being able to load)? I might unpack the recovery just to see as you suggest, but I was really hoping for "flash and play" simplicity for users using the guide.

Users going to the trouble of using the guide probably don't want to backup/restore manually (PITA), custom recovery is the way to (if possible).

A little bewildering since my tab is effectively now a P6800 with same partitions.

Appreciate your time taken and input mate.

Cheers,

UpInTheAir

Sent from my GT-I9500 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)