FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Motochopper after .79 Update?

1,515 posts
Thanks Meter: 85

By recDNA, Senior Member on 17th July 2013, 09:49 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Has anyone who had never unlocked nor rooted been able to use motochopper to root after the most recent update? I believe the exploit is blocked but have read occasional posts suggesting otherwise.

thanks!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

20th July 2013, 07:04 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I updated to OTA 9.18.79 yesterday I have never unlocked my bootloader; however, I was rooted. I lost root and then tried motochopper, it failed. I think I am hosed and fear I will never be able to get root back.
20th July 2013, 07:44 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kry0

I updated to OTA 9.18.79 yesterday I have never unlocked my bootloader; however, I was rooted. I lost root and then tried motochopper, it failed. I think I am hosed and fear I will never be able to get root back.

Welcome to the club! I'm hoping one of the moto hackers relents and discovers a new exploit.

26th July 2013, 01:39 AM |#4  
Flag Baltimore, MD
Thanks Meter: 13

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by recDNA

Welcome to the club! I'm hoping one of the moto hackers relents and discovers a new exploit.

The person who developed motochopper told the community that motochopper would be his very last exploit for Motorola devices. He said that the easy exploits are mostly gone now and the difficult ones aren't worth the effort. Moreover, he tells us that we should not buy phones that are locked to begin with if we value the ability to root.
26th July 2013, 01:49 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by allquixotic

The person who developed motochopper told the community that motochopper would be his very last exploit for Motorola devices. He said that the easy exploits are mostly gone now and the difficult ones aren't worth the effort. Moreover, he tells us that we should not buy phones that are locked to begin with if we value the ability to root.

Thanks, I'm hoping he or someone else will. Although good advice Not much help to say buy a different phone now that I own this one though.

26th July 2013, 05:36 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Quote:

Thanks, I'm hoping he or someone else will. Although good advice Not much help to say buy a different phone now that I own this one though.

Droidrzr.com has a utility to root after the latest ota

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to JungleKing76 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift JungleKing76 Ad-Free
26th July 2013, 08:56 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JungleKing76

Rooting is not really the issue. You can just flash back to pre 9.18 then root and use Voodoo rootkeeper to keep root after the update.
The real issue is not being able to unlock the bootloader after this update even after flashing back down. In other words, if you received this update and did not previously unlock the bootloader, you cannot unlock the bootloader at all....
26th July 2013, 09:07 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JungleKing76

I read it but I'm too stupid to understand the directions. I need more step by step baby fashioned explanation specifically for locked never rooted b4 users on latest .79 update. Most experienced users just say go read it. It might as well be in sanscrit to true novices.

26th July 2013, 09:44 PM |#9  

More
Quote:

I read it but I'm too stupid to understand the directions. I need more step by step baby fashioned explanation specifically for locked never rooted b4 users on latest .79 update. Most experienced users just say go read it. It might as well be in sanscrit to true novices.

I haven't tested this step by step, but I'm pretty sure these are the exact steps.
WARNING: This does wipe your phone, read the utility warnings and instructions (ex. make sure usb debugging is enabled, etc)

1. Download utility here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2307439
2. Choose option 1 to flash back down to stock 4.1.2
3. Choose option 3 to root phone
4. Download Voodoo OTA root keeper from the app store.
5. In Voodoo OTA root keeper:
a. Backup root
b. Temp unroot
6. Download and install latest update
7. In Voodoo OTA restore root.

---------- Post added at 08:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 PM ----------

Oh and if you had safe strap installed, uninstall that before updating.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using xda app-developers app
26th July 2013, 09:44 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member

More
That's the wrong utility if you are locked unrooted and on .79 You need to use this one

http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php?/topic/23729-[RSD-Scripts]-SamuriHL's-RAZR-HD-Emporium

26th July 2013, 09:48 PM |#11  

More
Quote:

That's the wrong utility if you are unlocked unrooted and on .79 You need to use this one

http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php?/topic/23729-[RSD-Scripts]-SamuriHL's-RAZR-HD-Emporium

Worked for me. It just flashes you back to 9.16

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using xda app-developers app
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)