Nexus 4 Chromecast issue

Search This thread

hatyrei

Jul 29, 2011
houston
I got my Chromecast today, while watching some videos using my Nexus 4 Android 4.3 to Chromecast . I experienced lock up's, after the screen timeout. I can't get into the lock screen. So I have to reboot again..by long pressing the power button of my phone. The streamed content is still working while doing the reboot.

SoleOfJohn

Oct 10, 2009
Rancho Cucamonga
N4 Blackout Issue

I'm having the same issue. I'm on a bone stock N4 running Android 4.3 from the factory image.

However, it is an interesting development that the Chromecast continues to run even when our device is off... I'm betting that soon we'll see a crack to running the full Chrome OS on the Chromecast.

hatyrei

Jul 29, 2011
houston
I'm having the same issue. I'm on a bone stock N4 running Android 4.3 from the factory image.

However, it is an interesting development that the Chromecast continues to run even when our device is off... I'm betting that soon we'll see a crack to running the full Chrome OS on the Chromecast.

Me...too, I'm on a stock 4.3 on my Nexus 4. I wish I could chromecast my photos and videos in my phone tooo...that would be cool :). kinda suck on the lock-ups

Slowb00st

Nov 8, 2010
I got my Chromecast today, while watching some videos using my Nexus 4 Android 4.3 to Chromecast . I experienced lock up's, after the screen timeout. I can't get into the lock screen. So I have to reboot again..by long pressing the power button of my phone. The streamed content is still working while doing the reboot.

Same thing here. :eek::(

thrak410

Dec 22, 2011

Why is that an interesting developlment? That is how its designed... you arent 'sharing' content from your device to the chromecast. The CC is pulling the content directly from the network itself.

SoleOfJohn

Oct 10, 2009
Rancho Cucamonga
Why is that an interesting developlment? That is how its designed... you arent 'sharing' content from your device to the chromecast. The CC is pulling the content directly from the network itself.
No where did they ever say that the Chromecast could run without another device once it started... So since it was never announced or talked about, that DOES make it an interesting development... :D!

B Dizzle

Jun 29, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
No where did they ever say that the Chromecast could run without another device once it started... So since it was never announced or talked about, that DOES make it an interesting development... :D!

I believe it was mentioned in the demo. Once a stream was started from Google Music, YouTube or Netfix the phone/tablet is no longer needed. They mentioned that we would see no battery drain as well. This is because the phone/tablet is not doing the steaming. Essentially your phone is just a remote. Just like a TV ... You find the channel you want and the remote is no longer needed.

I too am experiencing the lock up when the phone is put to sleep during streaming. I think it is related to the lock screen. If you push the power button once and wait a while you see the new lock screen that shows up during streams.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

Last edited:

radiohead7778580

Apr 9, 2010
Chicago
good its not just me.... it happens in netflix for me

i was thinking it was because of the hybrid lte radio .... well that's a relief

hope the problem gets fixed

---------- Post added at 01:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 AM ----------

i guess we can always disable the lock screen while streaming for the time being

PhantomGamers

Jun 27, 2011
NY
sundergaming.com
good its not just me.... it happens in netflix for me

i was thinking it was because of the hybrid lte radio .... well that's a relief

hope the problem gets fixed

---------- Post added at 01:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 AM ----------

i guess we can always disable the lock screen while streaming for the time being

i do have the hybrid lte radio installed as well but i cant imagine that's the problem... hm

Scottyfer

Feb 8, 2012
I have no problems running PA 3.69. 4.3 must have a bug with the lockscreen controls.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

ianoopt

Dec 6, 2010
Same Here

Bone stock, unrooted 4.3 here. It's frustrating. Had to restart N4 5 times so far in last few hours. I am not even Casting anything now still the lockout.

optikalsaint

Apr 27, 2006
I am having the same issues. Chromecast was working fine with Android 4.2 but after getting the 4.3 update my device will randomly lock up if I am casting from Netflix. It happened once with Play Movies but so far it has only been consistently happening with Netflix while using stock Android 4.3

python2121

Jul 11, 2010
New York
Happening to me too. Seems like an awfully big bug to let out the door. Still remains unfixed. Since this is the only device I have to control Netflix on the Chromecast, does anyone know if Netflix in Silverlight/Chrome supports chromecasting?

scoobdude

Jan 8, 2008
I was having the issue and just wiped the entire thing and loaded the stock 4.3 odexed rom with busy box etc. Once i did this every time i would reboot i would get stuck at the google boot screen. Anyway, jumped into recovery and fixed permissions and all was well. That was after another 2 wipes and reflashes. So not sure what really changed, but thought i would thought my experience out here for someone to pick apart.

EvoXOhio

Mar 23, 2011
Yep having the same issue here, glad to hear it's not only me I guess.

on N4, stock 4.3 unrooted

The issue is with 4.3 and not just with Chromecast. The N4 seems to lock up when video is/was playing and the screen goes to sleep. You get a sleep of death. I've experienced it with Netflix, as have many others. I've seen reports of it with other video apps as well. And these were NOT Chromecast users, just regular users of their Nexus 4s.

So it's a bug in 4.3 that Google needs to fix, or possibly can be fixed by the developers of the problematic apps.

optikalsaint

Apr 27, 2006
I've discovered if I plug my phone in and activate the dock screensaver then it prevents my phone from going into sleep of death mode. Not ideal but it is a solution for anyone that has a charger near their TV

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts