[FIX][ROOT] Disable Fast dormancy on sony smarthphones

Search This thread

mirhl

Oct 15, 2012
COMPLETELY DISABLE FAST DORMANCY ON XPERIAs
fast dormancy should be a battery-saving feature of UMTS networks.

TESTED PHONES:
¡Your phone must be rooted to edit system files!

Instructions
  1. First of all, you'll need to know your carrier MCC and MNC. You can found these on wikipedia or in your APN settings
  2. Navigate and open ./etc/fast-dormancy/fd_custm_conf.txt
  3. You'll see two lines ending with MCC and MNC and two zeros
  4. Change those zeros with the codes you look earlier and save
  5. Reboot and enjoy

FAQ
What is fast dormancy and why should I bother?
Fast dormancy is a GSM feature which makes switching to sleep state faster

It seems a nice thing, where should I opt-in?
You are already in! Every recent phone supports this specification and sometimes it could really extend your battery life

So, what's all this bothering?
Well, the fact is that even though phones are usually perfect from this perspective.. unfortunately carriers are not. Some support this, other doesn't.
And wrong combinations can be battery killing. See the chart

OMG, I want my sleep mode back !11
Before doing anything, we must be sure you are affected by the problem. Asking directly to your carrier could be a nice thing. But sometimes this couldn't even be enough, since everything depends upon the antenna you are actually connected to.

So, how in the world could I check if I'm affected by the problem? :\
A first usual sign of the issue would be high "Android OS" battery usage and/or lots of com.sonyericsson.android.wakeup wakelocks.
Another quick testing method would be to simply use the fix for a few days and then revert your changes back if you find them unsatisfactory

I'm screwed! My phone isn't in the list or I can't find those files!
You had better first checking if the /etc/fast-dormancy/ folder is there and try. If not, check karkand's twin thread (be warned, potential brick inside)

Is this really worth the hassle?
D E F I N I T I V E L Y. Battery can last up to 30% longer after applying this fix! (admitted you had this problem before).

Last edited:

Forzaferrarileo

Apr 16, 2012
Rome
prologue: a week ago i updated to stock jelly bean and i noticed soon noticed LOTS of com.sonyericsson.android.wakeup wakelocks (something like 2900 in half a day)
this is due to my carrier to have not enabled fast dormancy on their antennas

i first tried to freeze fastdormancy app, but this led only to a little lower wakelocks count (the problem was still there)

so, after some invastigation here and there i finally found a solution:

1 - First of all, you'll need to know your carrier MCC and MNC. You can found these on wikipedia or in your APN configuration
2 - Then navigate and open /etc/fast-dormancy/fd_custm_conf.txt
3 - you'll see two lines ending with MCC and MNC and two zeros
4 - Change those zeros to that you look earlier and save
5 - Reboot and enjoy

this worked flawlessly on my xperia S. i'm quite sure it will work on xperia ion and acro too
and i'm confident that it should work even on others models (judging from)

let me know if it works on custom rom too!

Fast dormancy is also enabled in 6.2.B.0.200 ramdisk

Sent from my LT26i using xda app-developers app

mirhl

Oct 15, 2012
Im gonna try it

But what exactly am i fixing/doing?
Fast dormancy is a umts feature that SHOULD improve a bit data battery usage
But this has to be supported both from your carrier and from your phone
If one of these two doesn't support fdm (but the other does) you'll have an extreme battery drain (which you can see in a logcat or in the allarm tab of betterbatterystats)

If both parts has this support this fix could even led to an heavier battery drain

I have posted this guide because i read A LOT about this.. but all that i could find regarded only samsung and lg phones..

More news here
http://www.xda-developers.com/xda-tv-2/fast-dormancy-the-whole-story-xda-developer-tv/

Reactions: ramkrsn

mirhl

Oct 15, 2012
@Forzaferrarileo
This could explain why i still see many

Code:
D/fast-dormancy(164): [FDM]: match with exclude list, so quit match procedure
in the main logcat

Anyway, i don't notice any more alarm ring from com.sonyericsson.android.wakeup (and i think this should be sufficient to solve the issue)
What do you think?
potremmo anche discuterne scialli in privato ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: ramkrsn

Forzaferrarileo

Apr 16, 2012
Rome
@Forzaferrarileo
This could explain why i still see many

Code:
D/fast-dormancy(164): [FDM]: match with exclude list, so quit match procedure
in the main logcat

Anyway, i don't notice any more alarm ring from com.sonyericsson.android.wakeup (and i think this should be sufficient to solve the issue)
What do you think?
potremmo anche discuterne scialli in privato ;)

Yes, anyway I'll made 2 version with different ramdisk

se hai gtalk ancora meglio, almeno non si intasa La casella di xda

S

skywalkerdroid

This works only when you are connected to internet through your carrier right? Not working when connected through wifi.

prologue: a week ago i updated to stock jelly bean and i noticed soon noticed LOTS of com.sonyericsson.android.wakeup wakelocks (something like 2900 in half a day)
this is due to my carrier to have not enabled fast dormancy on their antennas

i first tried to freeze fastdormancy app, but this led only to a little lower wakelocks count (the problem was still there)

so, after some invastigation here and there i finally found a solution:

1 - First of all, you'll need to know your carrier MCC and MNC. You can found these on wikipedia or in your APN configuration
2 - Then navigate and open /etc/fast-dormancy/fd_custm_conf.txt
3 - you'll see two lines ending with MCC and MNC and two zeros
4 - Change those zeros to that you look earlier and save
5 - Reboot and enjoy

this worked flawlessly on my xperia S. i'm quite sure it will work on xperia ion and acro too
and i'm confident that it should work even on others models (judging from)

let me know if it works on custom rom too!

Could this be similar to add "ro.semc.enable.fast_dormancy=false" to build.prop?

Thanks for your help

thanitos

Apr 30, 2012
You may have typed it wrong if it says "=false" you cannot type "= true" it has to be "=true" notice the space. That's how it reads responses but also on some items if its corrupted it just rebuilds the .prop if I'm not mistaken

Sent from my SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: Segamalaga

mirhl

Oct 15, 2012
You may have typed it wrong if it says "=false" you cannot type "= true" it has to be "=true" notice the space. That's how it reads responses but also on some items if its corrupted it just rebuilds the .prop if I'm not mistaken

i'm quite sure that in the 3 times that i checked the spelling it was correct, but i could still have fail
anyway try and see by yourself what will happen

my biggest issue is that my vol+ doesn't work

thanitos

Apr 30, 2012
I'll try it when I get off work I bought an s3 so I'm willing to screw with my ion

mirhl

Oct 15, 2012
I'll try it when I get off work I bought an s3 so I'm willing to screw with my ion

you won't screw up nothing at all

my problems comes from my vol+ broken, so i can't hard-reset and let the phone properly charge for flashtool
if you have a normal xs, you only need to have a FTF in case of brick and flashtool installed

thanitos

Apr 30, 2012
Have you tried taking the back cover off and pushing the physical button on the chip or re-seating the plug?

mirhl

Oct 15, 2012
Have you tried taking the back cover off and pushing the physical button on the chip or re-seating the plug?

unfortunately i have soon to take in rma my phone (for the yellow screen tint) and opening the case make me fear i could lost the warranty

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    COMPLETELY DISABLE FAST DORMANCY ON XPERIAs
    fast dormancy should be a battery-saving feature of UMTS networks.

TESTED PHONES:
    ¡Your phone must be rooted to edit system files!

Instructions
    1. First of all, you'll need to know your carrier MCC and MNC. You can found these on wikipedia or in your APN settings
    2. Navigate and open ./etc/fast-dormancy/fd_custm_conf.txt
    3. You'll see two lines ending with MCC and MNC and two zeros
    4. Change those zeros with the codes you look earlier and save
    5. Reboot and enjoy

FAQ
    What is fast dormancy and why should I bother?
    Fast dormancy is a GSM feature which makes switching to sleep state faster

It seems a nice thing, where should I opt-in?
    You are already in! Every recent phone supports this specification and sometimes it could really extend your battery life

So, what's all this bothering?
    Well, the fact is that even though phones are usually perfect from this perspective.. unfortunately carriers are not. Some support this, other doesn't.
    And wrong combinations can be battery killing. See the chart

OMG, I want my sleep mode back !11
    Before doing anything, we must be sure you are affected by the problem. Asking directly to your carrier could be a nice thing. But sometimes this couldn't even be enough, since everything depends upon the antenna you are actually connected to.

So, how in the world could I check if I'm affected by the problem? :\
    A first usual sign of the issue would be high "Android OS" battery usage and/or lots of com.sonyericsson.android.wakeup wakelocks.
    Another quick testing method would be to simply use the fix for a few days and then revert your changes back if you find them unsatisfactory

I'm screwed! My phone isn't in the list or I can't find those files!
    You had better first checking if the /etc/fast-dormancy/ folder is there and try. If not, check karkand's twin thread (be warned, potential brick inside)

Is this really worth the hassle?
    D E F I N I T I V E L Y. Battery can last up to 30% longer after applying this fix! (admitted you had this problem before).
    See this -> https://developer.android.com/reference/android/provider/Telephony.Carriers.html
    Mnc and mnc have nothing with dormancy! And dormancy can not be disabled trought fd_custm_conf.txt, you guys are in mistake! Maybe I am wrong but I have tried booth ways (including value 1) and still dormancy spaming my logcat booth ways. It looks like it spaming more when zero values changes.
    From my understanding, you disable fast dormancy for carrier which you define in fd_custm_conf.txt by putting MCC and MNC code there. After I put my carrier values in the file, I do not have fast dormancy alarms anymore (had several per minute before). Unfortunately I have no idea how to confirm if the fast dormancy has been really disabled, but disappearance of alarms suggest that it works.
    I have made a small program which will do the job. Just put it to /system/bin and chmod to 755 and with command "dormancy_patcher" all things gone patched automatically with correct value. :) Allso it can be used on boot time for example trought install_recovery.sh . I not going to change dormancy values in my phone since I think it is wrong, but you can use my program if you like :)
    See this -> https://developer.android.com/reference/android/provider/Telephony.Carriers.html
    Mnc and mnc have nothing with dormancy! And dormancy can not be disabled trought fd_custm_conf.txt, you guys are in mistake! Maybe I am wrong but I have tried booth ways (including value 1) and still dormancy spaming my logcat booth ways. It looks like it spaming more when zero values changes. I will look into smali for that!

Edit:
    Found only in /system/bin/fast-dormancy and function is:
    Code:
    signed int __fastcall sub_2884()
    {
      FILE *v0; // r7@1
      unsigned __int8 v1; // zf@4
      char v2; // nf@4
      unsigned __int8 v3; // vf@4
      signed int v4; // r4@4
      signed int v5; // r5@8
      signed int v6; // r4@2
      signed int result; // r0@17
      char v8; // [sp+14h] [bp-7Ch]@1
      int v9; // [sp+64h] [bp-2Ch]@1

v9 = _stack_chk_guard;
      _android_log_print(3, "fast-dormancy", "%sFUNCTION: fd_utility_read_custm_conf", "[FDM]: ");
      memset(dword_9010, 0, 0x54u);
      memset(&v8, 0, 0x50u);
      v0 = fopen("/etc/fast-dormancy/fd_custm_conf.txt", "r");
      if ( v0 )
      {
        v4 = -1;
        v5 = -1;
        while ( fgets(&v8, 80, v0) )
        {
          _android_log_print(3, "fast-dormancy", "%sCustm config line: %s", "[FDM]: ", &v8);
          if ( strstr(&v8, "fdmDisabledForMCC ") )
          {
            v3 = __OFSUB__(v4, 8);
            v1 = v4 == 8;
            v2 = v4++ - 8 < 0;
            if ( !((unsigned __int8)(v2 ^ v3) | v1) )
            {
              _android_log_print(
                "fast-dormancy",
                "%sCurrent exclude list index out of upper limit and  mcc is: %d, quit!",
                "[FDM]: ",
                v4);
    LABEL_21:
              v6 = -1;
              goto LABEL_16;
            }
            dword_9010[v4] = sub_27C0();
          }
          if ( strstr(&v8, "fdmDisabledForMNC ") )
          {
            ++v5;
            if ( v5 != v4 )
            {
              _android_log_print(6, "fast-dormancy", "%sMNC and MCC need to be configurated in pairs", "[FDM]: ");
              goto LABEL_21;
            }
            dword_9010[v5 + 10] = sub_27C0();
          }
          memset(&v8, 0, 0x50u);
        }
        if ( v5 == v4 )
        {
          dword_9060 = v5 + 1;
          _android_log_print(3, "fast-dormancy", "%sThe availableExcludeNum is %d", "[FDM]: ", v5 + 1);
        }
        v6 = 0;
    LABEL_16:
        fclose(v0);
      }
      else
      {
        v6 = -1;
        _android_log_print(6, "fast-dormancy", "%sCould not read the file fd_custm_conf.txt", "[FDM]: ");
      }
      result = v6;
      if ( v9 != _stack_chk_guard )
        _stack_chk_fail(v6);
      return result;
    }
    When was configured like this

fdmDisabledForMCC 0
    fdmDisabledForMNC 0

I've had a lot of battery drain, using BBS I found that was for com.sonyericsson.android.wakeups
    When I changed to

fdmDisabledForMCC 744
    fdmDisabledForMNC 04

According to the op, it's gone the alarm, and there's no more battery drain

Enviado desde mi Z1 Compact
    Disabling fast dormancy in build.prop has done nothing for me.
    Modifying ./etc/fast-dormancy/fd_custm_conf.txt was the good choice :p

Z1 Compact with french carrier ORANGE / SOSH