Chromecast in Canada!

3,298 posts
Thanks Meter: 519

By cmstlist, Senior Member on 25th July 2013, 07:58 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
28th July 2013, 06:39 PM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Anyone near the border willing to get me one and mail it to me in Toronto :S?

let me know...
28th July 2013, 07:00 PM |#22  
Flag Calgary
Thanks Meter: 54

Donate to Me
More
So has anyone tried to queue up Netflix stuff from their mobile device using the Android Netflix client SPECIFICALLY while using SetDNS?

When I manually change my DNS entries on my Nexus4 to 190.14.36.90 / 206.214.214.28, (as an example, many US based DNS servers work), before launching my Android Netflix client I get to view US Netflix content on my Nexus4.

Of course running your Mobile device through full proxy service accomplishes the same thing but I prefer the SetDNS method so I don't have to route my video stream through the proxy itself. However If necessary, I use Hotspot Sheild for that.

Anyways, if some one wouldn't mind trying to queue up Netflix stuff from their android device and push it to their Chromecast Device while running SetDNS or Hotspot Sheild (or both I suppose) and let us know if you can push US Netflix content through your Chromecast Device it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
28th July 2013, 09:01 PM |#23  
OP Senior Member
Flag Toronto

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArclightX

So has anyone tried to queue up Netflix stuff from their mobile device using the Android Netflix client SPECIFICALLY while using SetDNS?

When I manually change my DNS entries on my Nexus4 to 190.14.36.90 / 206.214.214.28, (as an example, many US based DNS servers work), before launching my Android Netflix client I get to view US Netflix content on my Nexus4.

Of course running your Mobile device through full proxy service accomplishes the same thing but I prefer the SetDNS method so I don't have to route my video stream through the proxy itself. However If necessary, I use Hotspot Sheild for that.

Anyways, if some one wouldn't mind trying to queue up Netflix stuff from their android device and push it to their Chromecast Device while running SetDNS or Hotspot Sheild (or both I suppose) and let us know if you can push US Netflix content through your Chromecast Device it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I have tried:
- Connecting to HideIPVPN in the USA and trying to push US Netflix content to Chromecast. This resulted in an error message on the TV.
- Setting my router's DNS up with Unblock Us and pointing it to US Netflix, then trying to push US content. Again, error message on the TV. Unblock US has contacted me on Twitter about this and they're going to see if they can find a workaround.

I am quite certain that the Chromecast itself has to be redirected through to the US servers in order for the content to play properly, whether via DNS, proxy or VPN. There is also a possibility that Netflix on Chromecast ignores DNS completely and accesses the servers it wants to.
28th July 2013, 09:21 PM |#24  
Flag Calgary

Donate to Me
More
Bah... OK thanks CM, good to know.

So basically short of tethering a laptop or a HTPC via HDMI to your TV so you can have full control this Chromecast Device isn't a workaround.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
28th July 2013, 11:38 PM |#25  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
If anyone in Toronto is ordering and/or picking one up, can they order or pick up a second one for me?
29th July 2013, 01:43 AM |#26  
Flag Calgary

Donate to Me
More
OK how about this test.

I use Pandora (Music) on my Nexus4 by running my connection through Hotspot Shield (see above).

Can we give that a try please? I ask because frankly for a Canadian I'm quickly running out of reasons to pick this sucker up.

29th July 2013, 02:17 AM |#27  
OP Senior Member
Flag Toronto

More
I don't think Pandora support has even rolled out yet, so no way to test it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta
29th July 2013, 02:30 PM |#28  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Indeed Guys, I live in Curacao (Island in the Caribbean).

Two days ago I was able to cast Netflix content from my Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy Tab 2 and my PC. I am using overplay.net.
My home router is configured using SmartDNS, but since yesterday this was no longer the case, I constantly get an error, which means that indeed the Chromecast device totally ignores the DNS settings and probably uses Google's DNS (8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4) which is a bummer for us.

So, right now if you really want Netflix, you will just have to cast it via your chrome browser, as I managed to Cast Hulu so netflix should work also.
29th July 2013, 02:44 PM |#29  
Flag Calgary

Donate to Me
More
Thanks for the feedback skull.

So yeah I suppose you can/could push your whole desktop or chrome browser tab running an instance of US Netflix through the chromecast device and be done with it. I certainly wouldn't label that as an elegant solution but I suppose if it works then it works.

Thanks again for the feedback.

29th July 2013, 07:23 PM |#30  
Thanks Meter: 39

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmstlist

I have tried:
- Connecting to HideIPVPN in the USA and trying to push US Netflix content to Chromecast. This resulted in an error message on the TV.
- Setting my router's DNS up with Unblock Us and pointing it to US Netflix, then trying to push US content. Again, error message on the TV. Unblock US has contacted me on Twitter about this and they're going to see if they can find a workaround.

I am quite certain that the Chromecast itself has to be redirected through to the US servers in order for the content to play properly, whether via DNS, proxy or VPN. There is also a possibility that Netflix on Chromecast ignores DNS completely and accesses the servers it wants to.

Hmm..

I dont have one yet.. BUT... I see someones dumped the system and others have rooted it.. see for system dump http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2382962

if you dl that an dlook in /etc/resolv.conf you see it is indeed hardcoded to use googles DNS servers...

Code:
nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4
so if people are able to root they are able to set that up to their own local DNS in house i assume which should fix this.. its not a pretty fix cause you'd have to be rooted, but it is a work around of one sort.. if you set it to your routers DNS you can than control what third party forwarder your using and when easier than having to login each time to the device to change it...
29th July 2013, 07:24 PM |#31  
OP Senior Member
Flag Toronto

More
Bear in mind that casting from Chrome is not a workable solution for anyone who stopped upgrading their computers circa 2009 when all they wanted to do was buy mobile devices instead :P
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)