Thanks Meter: 7

By mgl888, Junior Member on 25th July 2013, 02:55 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
31st July 2013, 10:14 AM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyaffka

Could you please provide more details what my steps should be to "flash it with twrp"? After I root my nexus 4 (which is well documented, I just looked up) and downloaded twrp & your gapps version. Thanks a lot in advance.

What bleets said...did it work?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk HD

31st July 2013, 12:32 PM |#22  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleets

Yep, that worked for me however i got the latest version of gapps for 4.2.2 instead of 4.1.2, slightly updated version of gtalk...dont know what the difference was.

Before i flashed gapps though i uninstalled hangouts with titanium...don't know if that was neccessary...also can't detach talk from the market without the paid version of titanium...maybe i should get that, i still have credit left from when i got my nexus 7 last year

---------- Post added at 09:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 AM ----------

If you've installed twrp, when the tablet is on put the zip file on the sd card, reboot into recovery (twrp), select install, navigate to the sdcard folder and select the gapps zip file. it should install.
i also go to advanced and fix permissions after, don't know if it's needed or not.
I also used titanium to uninstall hangouts first, again i dont know if i needed to do this.

Thanks a lot. Will try that today.
P.S. You said "tablet" but I got Nexus 4 phone (from Google, unlocked). Hope it doesn't matter.
31st July 2013, 01:09 PM |#23  
Thanks Meter: 58

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyaffka

Thanks a lot. Will try that today.
P.S. You said "tablet" but I got Nexus 4 phone (from Google, unlocked). Hope it doesn't matter.

Lol aye sorry, tablet or phone, doesnt make much of a difference as long as you have the right twrp for your device...i was just doing it on my (2012) nexus 7 as my galaxy nexus hasnt got the OTA yet...

one annoying thing though...
I uninstalled hangouts without signing out.
Now there's a persistant connection that says "away" since whatever servers google uses for hangouts are too dumb to realise the connection is dead, it's gone, nothing is using it...and i have no way to kill off that resource, used pidgin to sign in on that resource then log off but it keeps rearing its ugly head...even when all android devices are off. sigh...i want to be invisible...

so yeah, before uninstalling hangouts, make sure you sign out of it completely!!!
31st July 2013, 10:53 PM |#24  
Flag Novi Sad
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleets

one annoying thing though...
I uninstalled hangouts without signing out.
Now there's a persistant connection that says "away" since whatever servers google uses for hangouts are too dumb to realise the connection is dead, it's gone, nothing is using it...and i have no way to kill off that resource, used pidgin to sign in on that resource then log off but it keeps rearing its ugly head...even when all android devices are off. sigh...i want to be invisible...

so yeah, before uninstalling hangouts, make sure you sign out of it completely!!!

Try changing your Google password, it should sign you out from that phantom process
Then change it back to the old one if you want, the first password change should break the login session ...
31st July 2013, 11:59 PM |#25  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Google account password re-use isn't so easy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turshija

Try changing your Google password, it should sign you out from that phantom process
Then change it back to the old one if you want, the first password change should break the login session ...

The first part will work.
The "change it back" part will not, unless you change it 100 times first.

Google search [ Gmail not allowing to use old password? Let me change it back. ] for more details.
1st August 2013, 01:12 AM |#26  
Phoenix
Thanks Meter: 168

More
as stated before, downloaded the gapps for 4.2.2 & took everything out besides google talk, removed hangouts using titanium backup, flashed using twrp & now talk works. Oddly google search was missing after that but I just reinstalled from the app store & it works again.

*edit*
reuploaded file - found the part that was deleting gmail & search & removed it, hopefully this version is better.
Attached Files
File Type: zip gtalk-signed.zip - [Click for QR Code] (1.27 MB, 2253 views)
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to xnifex For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift xnifex Ad-Free
1st August 2013, 12:21 PM |#27  
Thanks Meter: 58

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by turshija

i already did that and alas it doesnt work

Who's expecting google to stop you flashing talk in 5.0 if it ever shows?
1st August 2013, 02:39 PM |#28  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnifex

as stated before, downloaded the gapps for 4.2.2 & took everything out besides google talk, removed hangouts using titanium backup, flashed using twrp & now talk works. Oddly google search was missing after that but I just reinstalled from the app store & it works again.

Is this also possible without custom recovery, just with root?
1st August 2013, 02:41 PM |#29  
Phoenix
Thanks Meter: 168

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by realadry

Is this possible without custom recovery, just with root?

I honestly don't know, sorry. Hopefully someone else will be able to answer this for you.
2nd August 2013, 05:49 AM |#30  

More
Working and probability the simplest solution 4 now
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnifex

This method worked for me, with the difference:
Used Super Manager (free from the market) with root access, to delete the system application - hangouts (bad-bad application) - before deleting it signed out (enter hangouts app, go to settings and sign out before uninstall !!!)
then downloaded the attached zip file, then flashed it with clockworkMod (recovery-clockwork-touch-6.0.3.4-maguro.img)
(the recovery clockworkmod is not installed on my phone I run it everytime from image trough [fastboot boot recovery-clockwork-touch-6.0.3.4-maguro.img ] command.
rebooted, and all is working fine.

Thank you for the suggestion and [gtalk-signed.zip]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to szaszi1 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift szaszi1 Ad-Free
2nd August 2013, 06:16 AM |#31  

More
Thumbs up Possible without custom rom, with root
Quote:
Originally Posted by realadry

Is this also possible without custom recovery, just with root?

Please read my previous post.
you can use clockworkmod for your device without installing it on your device.
(find the appropriate clockworkmod....img for your device from [clockworkmod.com/rommanager] (touch has touch support)
in the attached [fastboot-abd-clockworkmod.zip] file the clockworkmod is for samsung galaxy nexus) - the zip contains [aroma-fm.zip] file manager too - native file manager whitout booting into system.
power off phone,
start with vol.up+vol.down pushed and power on (until the menu appears) - connect to computer (can be connected even before in the boot menu)
(if the device is not recognized, use the attached drivers [Universal_Naked_Driver_0.72.zip]
run the [!loadClockWork[6034t].cmd] file,
in clockworkmod: navigate to "install zip" then "choose zip from sdcard",
select the [gtalk-signed.zip], and flash (install).
go back,
reboot.
done.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)