FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[GUIDE][SCRIPT] How to root Android x86 4.3

7,905 posts
Thanks Meter: 6,555

By Quinny899, XDA Ad-Free Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor on 3rd August 2013, 11:41 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
As we all know, Android 4.3 brought with it some extra security features which caused some small issues with root. These have been solved by the likes of Chainfire and other developers, meaning we have root once more. This is their work, I've just botched it together to work on the Android x86 4.3 system, which works slightly differently

You will need:
A device with Android x86 4.3 on it
Optionals:
Another Linux based OS - this can be an OS on another partition on the device or a live disk/USB
Root permissions in that second OS and access to the terminal
Knowledge of which partition Android x86 is installed onto and which is its root folder (if you didn't mess with that, it tells you in the script)

Instructions:
On Android x86:

Download the attached zip and extract it using a file manager
Press Alt+F1 and use "cd" to change directory to where you extracted the zip
You should go as far in as the "README" and "install.sh" files
Run:
Code:
sh install.sh
Follow the instructions on-screen. It tells you the rest.

On a linux boot:

Download the attached zip and extract it to somewhere memorable
Open your terminal and use "cd" to change directory to where you extracted the zip. You should go as far in as the "README" and "install.sh" files
Run:
Code:
sh install.sh
Follow the instructions on-screen. It tells you the rest.
Reboot back into Android x86, it should have root now

Changelog:
v2:
Included version for Android x86 boot, through the Alt+F1 terminal
Made it a bit simpler

Screenshots

Credits
@Chainfire for SuperSU and all the files included that the script installs
The SuperSU thread, don't forget to thank on there
The Android x86 project for the OS itself and the init.sh file, which is patched as the install-recovery file is
Attached Files
File Type: zip Android-x86-RootScript-4.3.zip - [Click for QR Code] (1.07 MB, 75221 views)
The Following 36 Users Say Thank You to Quinny899 For This Useful Post: [ View ]

3rd August 2013, 02:46 PM |#2  
Houston
Thanks Meter: 73

More
Hello..

I try to run the install.sh but it said

"This script needs root. Enter your password to continue:
sh: 0: Can't open .install.sh"

I ran it with sudo permission. My Ubuntu is on sdb6 and and android is on sdb7.

Please assist.

Just wondering? Can I just copy the the system folder and let it overwrite (merge) the system folder in the android partition. Also what permission do I need to change for what folder if I were to do this manually.

Thanks minhgi
The Following User Says Thank You to minhgi For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift minhgi Ad-Free
3rd August 2013, 04:15 PM |#3  
OP Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Flag Salford, Greater Manchester, UK

Donate to Me
More
It hasn't extracted properly, the .install.sh file is in the zip with the install.sh
Just in case, for the next release (in testing now, can be run from the Android x86 boot itself), I made it ./.install.sh, which should work
3rd August 2013, 05:23 PM |#4  

Donate to Me
More
Here comes version 2:
Changelog:
Included version for Android x86 boot, through the Alt+F1 terminal
Made it a bit simpler
3rd August 2013, 08:49 PM |#5  
Houston

More
Thanks Quinny,

It is working. Somehow when I downloaded the attachment the first time, the script folder was not there. So there was not script to run. Anyway, I did it through the Ubuntu terminal it is working for me.

---------- Post added at 02:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 PM ----------

Opps..I said it to soo. I using an android build 4.3 from www.tabletx86.org and it use chainfire SU. It also seem like your rooting method use chainfire su. When I try to use root explorer to enable r/w permission, the app just force close. Also I try to launch chain su, it also force close. I am not sure if there is an incompatibiltiy issue there. I use the rom build from tabletx86 b/c it have broadcom wifi working for my laptop.

The android 4.3 from android-x86.org does not. Can you test the build from www.tabletx86.org? it was compile on 08-02-2013.

Thanks again.
3rd August 2013, 09:31 PM |#6  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by minhgi

Thanks Quinny,

It is working. Somehow when I downloaded the attachment the first time, the script folder was not there. So there was not script to run. Anyway, I did it through the Ubuntu terminal it is working for me.

---------- Post added at 02:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 PM ----------

Opps..I said it to soo. I using an android build 4.3 from www.tabletx86.org and it use chainfire SU. It also seem like your rooting method use chainfire su. When I try to use root explorer to enable r/w permission, the app just force close. Also I try to launch chain su, it also force close. I am not sure if there is an incompatibiltiy issue there. I use the rom build from tabletx86 b/c it have broadcom wifi working for my laptop.

The android 4.3 from android-x86.org does not. Can you test the build from www.tabletx86.org? it was compile on 08-02-2013.

Thanks again.

I'll have a go at some point, I'm on a slow connection currently so it might be a while
4th August 2013, 02:04 PM |#7  
Houston

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinny899

I'll have a go at some point, I'm on a slow connection currently so it might be a while

not a problem. Please take you time. these builts are are preview version anyway.
4th August 2013, 02:15 PM |#8  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by minhgi

not a problem. Please take you time. these builts are are preview version anyway.

I looked this morning and it can't be run from the boot as it's got a broken superuser installed which means I can't mount the system. Don't see why it would force close though
7th August 2013, 04:36 PM |#9  
Flag Prescott, AZ
Thanks Meter: 721

More
So I tried doing the script via alt+f1 and it says its in root, then when the script runs it shows that it cant mount permission denied and it fails to remove old files and fails to chmod also. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
7th August 2013, 04:54 PM |#10  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfballz

So I tried doing the script via alt+f1 and it says its in root, then when the script runs it shows that it cant mount permission denied and it fails to remove old files and fails to chmod also. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

If you're using TabletsX86's build, that's why, also, if you didn't allow /system to be mounted during install, then you're out of luck
The Following User Says Thank You to Quinny899 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th August 2013, 05:07 PM |#11  
Flag Prescott, AZ
Thanks Meter: 721

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinny899

If you're using TabletsX86's build, that's why, also, if you didn't allow /system to be mounted during install, then you're out of luck

using latest build from android-x86.org and I didn't recall seeing anything about being able to mount /system during install.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
4.3, android, android-x86, root, script

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)