Headphone Jack issues

Search This thread

krishelnino

Dec 6, 2010
Detroit, MI
I am facing headphone jack issues of late with my Note 2. I have tried many headphones and earphones in my Note 2 and only the left audio works. If I wriggle around the audio jack and if I put the wire in a certain position, then the right audio comes and again stops even if the wire moves slightly. Its very annoying that I have to adjust the cable all the time. It is most likely a hardware problem with the jack. Should I give it in the service center or is there anything that I can do ? I am rooted and using a custom ROM. Will they repair it under warranty, if I flash back to stock ROM and reset the counter ?

Thanks

Last edited:

intl

Feb 26, 2013
I had this problem with my mp3 player. It's very frustrating.

This picture is from a mp3 player, but it's the same in our phones. I think something is broken inside the yellow cirkle.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1375709316137.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1375709316137.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 1,548

toofank

Nov 16, 2011
Oslo
I have the exact same problem. Its a shame bcuz Note 2 has been the best phone Ive ever hsd.

slicingtaco

May 8, 2012
C:\Earth\USA\California\Freakmont
Try cleaning out the port with a Q Tip and compressed air. No liquids if it continues then I would have services. Before sending it in have the stock firmware with kernel and recovery. And test it after that before sending it in.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 4

adytum

Jul 1, 2011
Try cleaning out the port with a Q Tip and compressed air. No liquids if it continues then I would have services. Before sending it in have the stock firmware with kernel and recovery. And test it after that before sending it in.

Agreed, a can of compressed air may end up costing you significantly less time and money!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

daveid

Jan 5, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Mine is doing this too, but only with certain cables plugged in. Those with a wider flat plug have the issue, where those with a smaller rounded plug do not. I am attempting to just get a cable for my headphones that have a smaller rounded plug, instead of getting the phone fixed, since it works with some. I think it is more an issue with not being able to push the plug entirely flush as the phone is curved, than with a defect in the contacts (though nothing would suprise me).

fz9999

Apr 23, 2009
Brighton
I've just sent my note 2 to Samsung (via Vodafone) to have the headphone socket fixed.
They refused because it was rooted :( It was still on stock Vodafone firmware and I forgot to unroot it lol

adytum

Jul 1, 2011
I've just sent my note 2 to Samsung (via Vodafone) to have the headphone socket fixed.
They refused because it was rooted :( It was still on stock Vodafone firmware and I forgot to unroot it lol

Are you in the EU? If so, they can't refuse on those grounds..

djaudicy

Aug 6, 2013
Note 2 Headphone jack fix for me

I too had this same issue. I have figured it out. I could not get the headphone jack to work, cleaned it and everything. I thought my phone was done. Then I was changing out my sd card I noticed a screw loose. The one right between the camera and the flash. I tightened it up and sure enough the headphone jack works now!! Not sure if this will fix all of your issues but just thought I would throw that out there.

Reactions: muzashi1963

anahataray

Mar 24, 2011
CO
Mine eventually went out completely, so i ordered a new one on eBay for $6 US. It literally took 5 minutes to fix.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda app-developers app

krishelnino

Dec 6, 2010
Detroit, MI
I have the exact same problem. Its a shame bcuz Note 2 has been the best phone Ive ever hsd.

I agree with you mate. The Note 2 is the best phone i have owned till date, and I don't want to send it to the service center just because of a small issue

Thanks for the suggestion. Will try it out and if not, I have no option but to send it to the service center

I too had this same issue. I have figured it out. I could not get the headphone jack to work, cleaned it and everything. I thought my phone was done. Then I was changing out my sd card I noticed a screw loose. The one right between the camera and the flash. I tightened it up and sure enough the headphone jack works now!! Not sure if this will fix all of your issues but just thought I would throw that out there.

Someone else mentioned this fix and have to try it out. Have to find the right screw driver

Mine eventually went out completely, so i ordered a new one on eBay for $6 US. It literally took 5 minutes to fix.

Can you kindly send me a link ?

fz9999

Apr 23, 2009
Brighton
Are you in the EU? If so, they can't refuse on those grounds..

Sorry for the thread hijack and thanks for the reply :D

I am in the UK and Vodafone were adamant that they (or Samsung?) wouldn't fix it because it was rooted. He then agreed with me that rooting my phone would in 'no way break the headphone socket' lol, still wouldn't repair it though :(

Do you have a link or anything that says EU phones must be fixed if they are rooted? I'm going to send Samsung a snotty email and it would be useful.

adytum

Jul 1, 2011

I am in the UK and Vodafone were adamant that they (or Samsung?) wouldn't fix it because it was rooted. He then agreed with me that rooting my phone would in 'no way break the headphone socket' lol, still wouldn't repair it though :(

Do you have a link or anything that says EU phones must be fixed if they are rooted? I'm going to send Samsung a snotty email and it would be useful.

One of many authoritative sources: http://matija.suklje.name/rooting-and-flashing-your-device-does-not-void-the-warranty-in-eu

It boils down to that the repair centre has to maintain warranty as long as they cannot prove that rooting is the direct cause to whatever problem you have.

Reactions: fz9999

anahataray

Mar 24, 2011
CO
I agree with you mate. The Note 2 is the best phone i have owned till date, and I don't want to send it to the service center just because of a small issue

Thanks for the suggestion. Will try it out and if not, I have no option but to send it to the service center

Someone else mentioned this fix and have to try it out. Have to find the right screw driver

Can you kindly send me a link ?

Here you go:thumbup:

muzashi1963

Feb 16, 2014
Cheers

Exactly this. I was going to have to unroot , until I saw this. There is also another little screw to the right of the jack when looking at the back of the phone with the cover off. Check this one too. They were both loose on mine.

LOL I had a flat bladed jeweller's screwdriver I had pocketed at home for no reason. Saw this at the office, and VOILA. Fixed. Fate.:laugh:

/edit
This also seems to have cured the hissing audio problem when using the audio while charging with a USB, which according to Samsung "is normal".

Last edited:

nastyboy2

Jul 6, 2011
St Louis
headphone jack issues.

II bought my note 2 used. The headphone jack was broken when I bought it. I've had the jack replaced twice in the past month. It keeps going out. The sound turns to static but if I move the plug, it will work a little while. Is this a note 2 defect or did I just buy a bad phone?

heartagramm

Sep 5, 2010
II bought my note 2 used. The headphone jack was broken when I bought it. I've had the jack replaced twice in the past month. It keeps going out. The sound turns to static but if I move the plug, it will work a little while. Is this a note 2 defect or did I just buy a bad phone?

I got this issue just few weeks ago. I purchased a replacement audio jack, and installed it today. Not working. Then I tightened the screws a bit, and it worked! For a good ten seconds... and the issue remains.

Does anyone know the inner workings on this device? It seems to be a connecting issue. I tried adding some pressure around the audio jack area on top of the plastic cover, but it didn't help... The phone works just fine otherwise, and I happened to notice that the original headset volume rocker and microphone works but I can't hear anything!

toastysteve

Mar 23, 2011
Brisbane
Having an interesting/annoying time with my n7105.
Dropped it one too many times, and the headhphones audio turned into a static hissing mess!
I found that by just smaching the phone against my knee or something solid, the audio would return for about an hour.
It got worse and worse and eventually I decided to fix it. I purchased a replacement audio receiver jack and installed it, but the problem still remains, so I'm unsure where the actual issue is occurring.
I found that by tightening a screw just below the audio jack, that it fixed the problem. I have to tension it just right... Too tight and the issue returns.

I think the issue must be with the connector on the motherboard, where the ribbon cable connects. I say this because the screw I'm tensioning to fix the issue sits pretty close to this, and would be pressuring this down and around.
So I'm not sure how I'd fix this without replacing the entire motherboard.

I'll crack it open again soon and have another dig at it.

---------- Post added at 10:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 AM ----------

I've been doing a bit more research and found that someone may have already done the work for me.
I'll attempt this and report back with the result.

Post from Android Central forums
After my earlier rant I opened my phone and have managed to fixed my knee smacking problem. The problem was a bad ground between the screen and motherboard. I have added a picture of the two metal surfaces I cleaned (circled in yellow) to get the good connection back. These are not pics of my phone because it was apart obviously but it is the same phone. My sound is 100% crystal clear I believe the problem comes with dropping the phone and the connection going bad due to lack of enough screws in the area of the connection. I also ran the screw directly into the motherboard instead of through the plastic backing in the same area I circled. Stop smacking you're phones!!

106128d1393530620t-galaxy-note-2-headphones-problem-filled-static-img_20140227_134936.jpg

Reactions: Zyklo!

toastysteve

Mar 23, 2011
Brisbane
Well I attempted half of this. I opened the phone up again and cleaned up the connections with some 100% Isopropyl rubbing alcohol (they had a bit of gunk on them).
Started putting the phone back together and cracked my screen. Hurray!
finished putting it back together and there's no improvement.
I'll pull it apart and place the above screw directly into the motherboard as instructed and see if that helps.
Will update upon completion.

Reactions: Zyklo!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Note 2 Headphone jack fix for me

One of many authoritative sources: http://matija.suklje.name/rooting-and-flashing-your-device-does-not-void-the-warranty-in-eu

It boils down to that the repair centre has to maintain warranty as long as they cannot prove that rooting is the direct cause to whatever problem you have.

Having an interesting/annoying time with my n7105.
    Dropped it one too many times, and the headhphones audio turned into a static hissing mess!
    I found that by just smaching the phone against my knee or something solid, the audio would return for about an hour.
    It got worse and worse and eventually I decided to fix it. I purchased a replacement audio receiver jack and installed it, but the problem still remains, so I'm unsure where the actual issue is occurring.
    I found that by tightening a screw just below the audio jack, that it fixed the problem. I have to tension it just right... Too tight and the issue returns.

I think the issue must be with the connector on the motherboard, where the ribbon cable connects. I say this because the screw I'm tensioning to fix the issue sits pretty close to this, and would be pressuring this down and around.
    So I'm not sure how I'd fix this without replacing the entire motherboard.

I'll crack it open again soon and have another dig at it.

---------- Post added at 10:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 AM ----------

I've been doing a bit more research and found that someone may have already done the work for me.
    I'll attempt this and report back with the result.

Post from Android Central forums
    After my earlier rant I opened my phone and have managed to fixed my knee smacking problem. The problem was a bad ground between the screen and motherboard. I have added a picture of the two metal surfaces I cleaned (circled in yellow) to get the good connection back. These are not pics of my phone because it was apart obviously but it is the same phone. My sound is 100% crystal clear I believe the problem comes with dropping the phone and the connection going bad due to lack of enough screws in the area of the connection. I also ran the screw directly into the motherboard instead of through the plastic backing in the same area I circled. Stop smacking you're phones!!

106128d1393530620t-galaxy-note-2-headphones-problem-filled-static-img_20140227_134936.jpg
    Well I attempted half of this. I opened the phone up again and cleaned up the connections with some 100% Isopropyl rubbing alcohol (they had a bit of gunk on them).
    Started putting the phone back together and cracked my screen. Hurray!
    finished putting it back together and there's no improvement.
    I'll pull it apart and place the above screw directly into the motherboard as instructed and see if that helps.
    Will update upon completion.