[Tutorial]Flashing android on "hopeless" HD2

Search This thread

gilbert32

Apr 4, 2011
In the universe
Hello guys. i decided to give you this tutorial to flash android roms on hopeless hd2's.

What does hopeless mean?

Hopeless = Devices with broken usb, devices with broken volume rocker, devices with broken power or call button.

WARNING
USERS WITH WINDOWS MOBILE, and HSPL, and BROKEN USB; if you want to get back to stock, NEVER flash stock wm rom, just custom wm rom from sd card, as stock WILL remove HSPL and ANY CHANCE to install CUSTOM roms or bootloaders again. BEWARE.

This guide is devided into many sections, each one regarding a specific problem.

Index:

1. Impossible combinations of problems
  2. broken usb
  3. broken call button
  4. broken volume rocker
  5. broken call buttons AND volume rocker
  6. Controlling bootloader and flashing android from pc

Impossible Combinations of problems
  • Devices with broken volume rocker AND without Windows MOBILE
  • devices with broken usb AND volume rocker
  • devices with broken usb AND {menu; power; green} key, all of them broken
  • Devices without HSPL AND Broken usb
  • Devices with faulty mainboards :p
if you have one of these combinations, then it's theoretically not possible to flash android on HD2. See section 7 at the end for possible way to get android.
If you don't have any of these combinations, then you may be lucky enough to get android running on your phone.
if you DO have one of those problems, you may be able to do it. read the whole steps to get an idea if there's something broken you need to use to flash android.

END OF SECTION 1​

Section 2: devices with broken usb

We assume you have hspl installed. grab black clk bootloader from here:http://www.mediafire.com/?nhyausx0p5whu#tzg7whl9wwaih from compiled test versions, the 3 ones at the bottom. choose the one with the recovery that fits your needs.

• Download and extract zip. you get a .nbh file
  • rename .nbh file to LEOIMG.nbh (with caps)
  • copy file to the root of your sd. sd card should be at maximum 4gb (as safely reported), and formatted to fat32 partition.
  • turn on your phone in bootloader (HSPL) mode, by holding volume down button and inserting battery. make sure the sd card is there.
  • as instructed by the hd2, you should be able to flash clk
  • Proceed to Case A

Last edited:

gilbert32

Apr 4, 2011
In the universe
Section 3: Devices with broken call button

same steps for section 1, or:
  • grab black clk bootloader from here:http://www.mediafire.com/?nhyausx0p5whu#tzg7whl9wwaih from compiled test versions, the 3 ones at the bottom. choose the one with the recovery that fits your needs.
  • download hd2 toolkit and install it (search the forum for it)
  • turn phone in bootloader mode by holding volume down
  • open the nbh file from the zip you downloaded.
  • follow on screen steps
  • proceed to Case A

Section 4: Devices with broken volume rocker

This one is a bit tricky. it requires having already clk, or windows mobile.
if on windows mobile,
  • grab black clk bootloader from here:http://www.mediafire.com/?nhyausx0p5whu#tzg7whl9wwaih from compiled test versions, the 3 ones at the bottom. choose the one with the recovery that fits your needs.
  • open .nbh after installing hd2 toolkit
  • flash clk bootloader
  • proceed to Case B

Last edited:

gilbert32

Apr 4, 2011
In the universe
Section 5: Devices with broken call buttons AND volume rocker
assuming you have clk bootloader preinstalled or windows mobile, do the same as section 4.

if on windows mobile,
grab black clk bootloader from here:http://www.mediafire.com/?nhyausx0p5whu#tzg7whl9wwaih from compiled test versions, the 3 ones at the bottom. choose the one with the recovery that fits your needs.
open .nbh after installing hd2 toolkit
flash clk bootloader
proceed to Case B

Last edited:

gilbert32

Apr 4, 2011
In the universe
Section 6: Using bootloader and controlling it from pc

Now this section is divided to two cases: A and B
  • Case A: your device has working volume rocker, with or without usb
  • Case B: your volume rocker is broken, but your usb is working

Case A: Devices with working volume rocker

if followed instructions, it's easy to flash android now.
  • boot the phone while holding back key. black clk should appear
  • navigate up/down using volume rocker
  • use answer call button OR menu button if any is broken to make selection
  • goto settings, resize partition, change system partition size and apply
  • open recovery and flash rom from sd
  • enjoy!

Case B: Devices with Broken volume rocker

Controlling clk from PC

you will need to enter clk bootloader by holding back button. once in there, plug-in usb, make sure you have fastboot drivers installed, and proceed.
each key has a command to use it.
  • UP: fastboot oem key 8
  • DOWN: fastboot oem key 2
  • ENTER (or YES): fastboot oem key 5
  • BACK: fastboot oem key 0

Repartitionning:
if you just booted clk, flashlight should be automatically selected. to resize, use:
fastboot oem part-resize name:size
this is taken directly from clk help :) example, to make a 320 mb system partition it would be:
fastboot oem part-resize system:320
or:
  • fastboot oem key 2
  • fastboot oem key 5
  • fastboot oem key 5
  • fastboot oem key 2
  • fastboot oem key 2
  • fastboot oem key 2
  • fastboot oem key 2
  • fastboot oem key 5
  • navigate and change size as you want, then use fastboot oem key 0
  • fastboot oem key 2
  • fastboot oem key 2
  • fastboot oem key 2
  • fastboot oem key 2
  • fastboot oem key 5
  • fastboot oem key 5
  • fastboot oem key 0
  • fastboot oem key 8
  • fastboot oem key 8
  • fastboot oem key 5
you are now in recovery, flash the rom you want and enjoy ;)

Now, if youre going to ask for help, or not sure if the methods will work for you, please ask including the following:
  • Do you have HSPL? No/Yes (which version?)
  • Do you have a proper radio already installed? No/Yes (which version?)
  • What's broken? (USB/Volume..etc)
  • What's currently installed on your device? (WM6.5/WP7/Android/Nothing)
  • Which custom bootloader are you currently on, and is it working? (MAGLDR/cLK/No custom bootloader (stock)) (Working/Not working (explain))

great thanks for kokotas, rick1995, cedesmith for consecutive work and improved versions of clk :)

Last edited:

gilbert32

Apr 4, 2011
In the universe
under-construction.gif

Done for now, but to be continued later
To be done later:
* using android on devices with broken buttons (button board)
* using android on devices with broken volume button

Last edited:

SneakyGuyDavid

Jan 28, 2013
Providence, RI
assuming you have clk bootloader preinstalled or windows mobile, do the same as section 4.

flashing clk asks to hold power button and back button at reboot , the way i reboot is keeping the usb plugged in and then putting the battery in , i tried holding the back button while doing this method , its a no go

EDIT: just realized holding the back button is after you flash cLk , so i cant get into bootloader without volume buttons , what do ?

EDITEDIT: USED THIS TO GET INTO BOOTLOADER ! http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=5532118&postcount=7 btw to use this you have to copy it onto the phone , then using the file manager on the phone find the file and click it , it goes black and pops up at the bootloader

EDITEDITEDIT: now im stuck in recovery , but its all text ? help ?
Picture of my situation: http://i.imgur.com/APLvzKG.jpg im stuck at this screen , cant reboot normally or anything

EDITx4: i took the battery out and held the home button intill i got into clk , then it booted into recovery !

Last edited:
Reactions: mosi hd2

Marvlesz

Jun 28, 2010
Saudi Arabia
flashing clk asks to hold power button and back button at reboot , the way i reboot is keeping the usb plugged in and then putting the battery in , i tried holding the back button while doing this method , its a no go

EDIT: just realized holding the back button is after you flash cLk , so i cant get into bootloader without volume buttons , what do ?

What is your device's current state? (read below)

@gilbert32 Since this thread is probably going to turn into a step by step support, I suggest you add the following:
If you're going to ask for help, you must answer the following with details:
Do you have HSPL? No/Yes (which version?)
Do you have a proper radio already installed? No/Yes (which version?)
What's broken? (USB/Volume..etc)
What's currently installed on your device? (WM6.5/WP7/Android/Nothing)
Which custom bootloader are you currently on, and is it working? (MAGLDR/cLK/No custom bootloader (stock)) (Working/Not working (explain))

btw, this is an excellent write up, since the HD2 is aging .. :p
Thank you!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit: @SneakyGuyDavid
Picture of my situation: http://i.imgur.com/APLvzKG.jpg im stuck at this screen , cant reboot normally or anything

This is NOT the recovery, this is cLK's User Interface. From there, you get to flash the recovery, resize partitions or reboot into recovery/bootloader again by using fastboot commands.

Last edited:

gilbert32

Apr 4, 2011
In the universe

EDITEDIT: USED THIS TO GET INTO BOOTLOADER ! http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=5532118&postcount=7 btw to use this you have to copy it onto the phone , then using the file manager on the phone find the file and click it , it goes black and pops up at the bootloader

EDITx4: i took the battery out and held the home button intill i got into clk , then it booted into recovery !

well, you flashed clk 1.4, and the links i gave were for clk 1.5.1.x; which is a LOT easier to control

@Marvlesz i will add more maybe to the tutorial, but i'm a little bit busy those few days. i wrote the whole thing in a few minutes yesterday :p
added your suggestions for troubleshooting

Last edited:

shanman-2

Nov 18, 2011
Cork
Nice tut..:thumbup:

Edit: just thought I'd mention that as I have been operating my HD2 without USB for quite a while that I find the app "WiFi adb", among others, indispensable.

Sent from my NexusHD2 using xda premium

Last edited:
Reactions: gilbert32

SneakyGuyDavid

Jan 28, 2013
Providence, RI
well, you flashed clk 1.4, and the links i gave were for clk 1.5.1.x; which is a LOT easier to control

@Marvlesz i will add more maybe to the tutorial, but i'm a little bit busy those few days. i wrote the whole thing in a few minutes yesterday :p
added your suggestions for troubleshooting

oh wow haha , well i have the phone working now , just to make things easier later on , how do i install 1.5.1 ? im asuming you have to open hd2 toolkit while the phone is in bootloader , then click install custom nbh/ruu , then just browse for the Leoimg.nbh and click install ruu

by the way i already downloaded the "black_lk_20130506-Ex-TWRP_2_5_0_3.zip" and extracted the nbh

gilbert32

Apr 4, 2011
In the universe
oh wow haha , well i have the phone working now , just to make things easier later on , how do i install 1.5.1 ? im asuming you have to open hd2 toolkit while the phone is in bootloader , then click install custom nbh/ruu , then just browse for the Leoimg.nbh and click install ruu

by the way i already downloaded the "black_lk_20130506-Ex-TWRP_2_5_0_3.zip" and extracted the nbh

if you installed hd2 toolkit, you can just open the .nbh and express installer will do it all for you. just note that you might lose your rom (i can't confirm it)

don2012

Feb 14, 2012
newark

@gilbert32 Since this thread is probably going to turn into a step by step support, I suggest you add the following:
Which custom bootloader are you currently on, and is it working? (MAGLDR/cLK/No custom bootloader (stock)) (Working/Not working (explain))

÷_£₩¥€+_+

Hi ok lets see my device is tmous hd2 recently bought it
Before I used it or flashed anything it had android well it still has android and hspl 2.80 installed with magdr.. its call button is broken and I just want to put it in usb flasher mode so I can flash wp7 in so I can get it over with..... pervious just spend 50$ to get volume down ,usb port ,ic replaced. .. I don't know about radio stuff. ...

Sent from my GT-I9500 using xda premium

gilbert32

Apr 4, 2011
In the universe
Before I used it or flashed anything it had android well it still has android and hspl 2.80 installed with magdr.. its call button is broken and I just want to put it in usb flasher mode so I can flash wp7 in so I can get it over with..... pervious just spend 50$ to get volume down ,usb port ,ic replaced. .. I don't know about radio stuff. ...

well, f your call button is broken, thene you have no chance of flashing wp7, as navigating with magldr and entering menus needs pressing the call key (no alternatives known)

Reactions: don2012

Marvlesz

Jun 28, 2010
Saudi Arabia

÷_£₩¥€+_+

I like how you quoted me with some weird characters (and smilies).

well, f your call button is broken, thene you have no chance of flashing wp7, as navigating with magldr and entering menus needs pressing the call key (no alternatives known)

I was about to tell him that this thread is dedicated to installing android and not Windows Phone. However, I think there is a way to install windows phone with a broken call button, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say it here.

Edit: However, if you were able to "find out" that (I'm allowed to), I could call in reinforcements. (psych reference :p )

Edit#2:Yep, it's fine. There's a modified version of MAGLDR that, if I remember correctly, allows you to choose options using the home key instead of the call button. I'm not sure if it "allows you to choose options" or "allows you to boot into magldr". It could be the latter since many people have broken end button and not call one. It's not here on xda and I can't link you to it, you have to find it yourself.

Last edited:

gilbert32

Apr 4, 2011
In the universe
I was about to tell him that this thread is dedicated to installing android and not Windows Phone. However, I think there is a way to install windows phone with a broken call button, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say it here.

Edit: However, if you were able to "find out" that (I'm allowed to), I could call in reinforcements. (psych reference :p )

hehe :p if you know how to install windows phone with bad call button, share it, no problem. maybe turn this thread into a flashing android/WP on hopeless hd2 or create a new one for windows phone. ;)

Marvlesz

Jun 28, 2010
Saudi Arabia
hehe :p if you know how to install windows phone with bad call button, share it, no problem. maybe turn this thread into a flashing android/WP on hopeless hd2 or create a new one for windows phone. ;)

That's the problem, the modified version has some copyrights issues and hence was removed from xda, I think you were there when that happened. :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello guys. i decided to give you this tutorial to flash android roms on hopeless hd2's.

What does hopeless mean?

Hopeless = Devices with broken usb, devices with broken volume rocker, devices with broken power or call button.

WARNING
    USERS WITH WINDOWS MOBILE, and HSPL, and BROKEN USB; if you want to get back to stock, NEVER flash stock wm rom, just custom wm rom from sd card, as stock WILL remove HSPL and ANY CHANCE to install CUSTOM roms or bootloaders again. BEWARE.

This guide is devided into many sections, each one regarding a specific problem.

Index:

1. Impossible combinations of problems
    2. broken usb
    3. broken call button
    4. broken volume rocker
    5. broken call buttons AND volume rocker
    6. Controlling bootloader and flashing android from pc

Impossible Combinations of problems
    • devices with broken usb AND volume rocker
    • devices with broken usb AND {menu; power; green} key, all of them broken
    • Devices without HSPL AND Broken usb
    • Devices with faulty mainboards :p
    if you have one of these combinations, then it's theoretically not possible to flash android on HD2. See section 7 at the end for possible way to get android.
    If you don't have any of these combinations, then you may be lucky enough to get android running on your phone.
    if you DO have one of those problems, you may be able to do it. read the whole steps to get an idea if there's something broken you need to use to flash android.

END OF SECTION 1​

Section 2: devices with broken usb

We assume you have hspl installed. grab black clk bootloader from here:http://www.mediafire.com/?nhyausx0p5whu#tzg7whl9wwaih from compiled test versions, the 3 ones at the bottom. choose the one with the recovery that fits your needs.

• Download and extract zip. you get a .nbh file
    • rename .nbh file to LEOIMG.nbh (with caps)
    • copy file to the root of your sd. sd card should be at maximum 4gb (as safely reported), and formatted to fat32 partition.
    • turn on your phone in bootloader (HSPL) mode, by holding volume down button and inserting battery. make sure the sd card is there.
    • as instructed by the hd2, you should be able to flash clk
    • Proceed to Case A
    Section 6: Using bootloader and controlling it from pc

Now this section is divided to two cases: A and B
    • Case A: your device has working volume rocker, with or without usb
    • Case B: your volume rocker is broken, but your usb is working

Case A: Devices with working volume rocker

if followed instructions, it's easy to flash android now.
    • boot the phone while holding back key. black clk should appear
    • navigate up/down using volume rocker
    • use answer call button OR menu button if any is broken to make selection
    • goto settings, resize partition, change system partition size and apply
    • open recovery and flash rom from sd
    • enjoy!

Case B: Devices with Broken volume rocker

Controlling clk from PC

you will need to enter clk bootloader by holding back button. once in there, plug-in usb, make sure you have fastboot drivers installed, and proceed.
    each key has a command to use it.
    • UP: fastboot oem key 8
    • DOWN: fastboot oem key 2
    • ENTER (or YES): fastboot oem key 5
    • BACK: fastboot oem key 0

Repartitionning:
    if you just booted clk, flashlight should be automatically selected. to resize, use:
    fastboot oem part-resize name:size
    this is taken directly from clk help :) example, to make a 320 mb system partition it would be:
    fastboot oem part-resize system:320
    or:
    • fastboot oem key 2
    • fastboot oem key 5
    • fastboot oem key 5
    • fastboot oem key 2
    • fastboot oem key 2
    • fastboot oem key 2
    • fastboot oem key 2
    • fastboot oem key 5
    • navigate and change size as you want, then use fastboot oem key 0
    • fastboot oem key 2
    • fastboot oem key 2
    • fastboot oem key 2
    • fastboot oem key 2
    • fastboot oem key 5
    • fastboot oem key 5
    • fastboot oem key 0
    • fastboot oem key 8
    • fastboot oem key 8
    • fastboot oem key 5
    you are now in recovery, flash the rom you want and enjoy ;)

Now, if youre going to ask for help, or not sure if the methods will work for you, please ask including the following:
    • Do you have HSPL? No/Yes (which version?)
    • Do you have a proper radio already installed? No/Yes (which version?)
    • What's broken? (USB/Volume..etc)
    • What's currently installed on your device? (WM6.5/WP7/Android/Nothing)
    • Which custom bootloader are you currently on, and is it working? (MAGLDR/cLK/No custom bootloader (stock)) (Working/Not working (explain))

great thanks for kokotas, rick1995, cedesmith for consecutive work and improved versions of clk :)
    Section 3: Devices with broken call button

same steps for section 1, or:
    • download hd2 toolkit and install it (search the forum for it)
    • turn phone in bootloader mode by holding volume down
    • open the nbh file from the zip you downloaded.
    • follow on screen steps
    • proceed to Case A

Section 4: Devices with broken volume rocker

This one is a bit tricky. it requires having already clk, or windows mobile.
    if on windows mobile,
    • open .nbh after installing hd2 toolkit
    • flash clk bootloader
    • proceed to Case B

if on windows mobile,
    grab black clk bootloader from here:http://www.mediafire.com/?nhyausx0p5whu#tzg7whl9wwaih from compiled test versions, the 3 ones at the bottom. choose the one with the recovery that fits your needs.
    open .nbh after installing hd2 toolkit
    flash clk bootloader
    proceed to Case B
    under-construction.gif

Done for now, but to be continued later
    To be done later:
    * using android on devices with broken buttons (button board)
    * using android on devices with broken volume button