LK (LittleKernel) for Tablet Z

Search This thread

Apo11on

Sep 5, 2008
San Diego, CA
None of the software rebooting tools, such as Quick Boot, or Rebooter in Rom Toolbox, or even TeamWin's own TWRP Manager are able to reboot into recovery from system when using this LK bootloader. When you select "reboot recovery" it just cycles the tablet back into system. I have latest TWRP 2.6 installed and TeamWin's own TWRP Manager cannot boot into it. I was wondering if this is something @lilstevie can fix in LK bootloader, or does it have to be fixed by dees_troy in recovery itself?

skiwong20

Nov 29, 2011
Google Pixel 4
Google Pixel 4 XL
He knows that already. It not broken nor is it a twrp issue. With LK we need to use a patched kernel to reboot directly to the recovery u have with the LK bootloader. There is a Cm patch under review.

Sent from my SGP311 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

Apo11on

Sep 5, 2008
San Diego, CA
He knows that already. It not broken nor is it a twrp issue. With LK we need to use a patched kernel to reboot directly to the recovery u have with the LK bootloader. There is a Cm patch under review.

I hope that cm patch will be delivered as a standalone flashable zip and will be compatible not only with cm kernels, but with stock kernel as well. Otherwise not many people will be able to use it...not everyone runs cyanogenmod on their XTZ

skiwong20

Nov 29, 2011
Google Pixel 4
Google Pixel 4 XL
the patch is code added to the restart.c found inside the kernel. it can be added easly to any aosp kernel. in the op, he has a stock .370 kernel that he said is patched, not sure about reboot to recovery, but it is a kernel for stock users.

Reactions: Apo11on

Apo11on

Sep 5, 2008
San Diego, CA
I guess i should have read the OP more carefully, heh. It already says patch will be published soon and has a link to the CM commit, very similar to what will be done.

lilstevie

Senior Recognized Developer
Apr 17, 2009
I hope that cm patch will be delivered as a standalone flashable zip and will be compatible not only with cm kernels, but with stock kernel as well. Otherwise not many people will be able to use it...not everyone runs cyanogenmod on their XTZ

It is a patch to the kernel, all rom devs can grab the patch easily from gerrit and apply it to their own kernels. When I get some time I am going to work with dees_troy to get the patch into twrps kernel, and offer the patch as a .patch so kernel devs can apply it to their kernels with diff.

There is nothing that can be done to solve this problem, S1Boot consumes the reboot-recovery message under normal circumstances and prevents LK from getting the reboot reason. The solution the kernel patch introduces is to move it up in memory to somewhere s1boot does not consume and lk reads it

Reactions: skiwong20

Apo11on

Sep 5, 2008
San Diego, CA
Since Doomlord left XTZ development I dont think we have any kernel devs left. Therefore i suspect the patch, if it will ever be made available, will be un-grabbed and un-applied for a really long time because there is no kernel development going on...

It's been nearly a month since we discussed this, so I wanted to check in and see if you had a chance to work with dees_troy on integrating the patch into twrp kernel. It would be really nice to be able to boot into recovery using software apps, without having to shutdown and hold HW button combination every time

Alternatively, my previous suggestion stands - a flashable zip, which could be applied to the existing twrp 2.6 kernel will work just as well

pulser_g2

Admin Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 27, 2009
Since Doomlord left XTZ development I dont think we have any kernel devs left. Therefore i suspect the patch, if it will ever be made available, will be un-grabbed and un-applied for a really long time because there is no kernel development going on...

It's been nearly a month since we discussed this, so I wanted to check in and see if you had a chance to work with dees_troy on integrating the patch into twrp kernel. It would be really nice to be able to boot into recovery using software apps, without having to shutdown and hold HW button combination every time

Alternatively, my previous suggestion stands - a flashable zip, which could be applied to the existing twrp 2.6 kernel will work just as well

Uhhh I don't think it's at all accurate to say there are no kernel developers left. Maybe there are none who are "public facing" and release their kernels in threads while begging for thanks and shouting, "no mirrors on my files!", but there are certainly some of the best kernel developers out there on the Z.

They don't release junk though - they make proven, beneficial improvements to kernels, and submit them to open source kernel projects.

But just because they don't make a huge big deal out of it, trying to get recognition, doesn't mean they don't exist. As a matter of fact, I was working with one, trying to get GPS fixed on custom, source built ROMs, due to kernel issues.

But these people don't release winzip kernels... They work on ones that are source distributed.

skiwong20

Nov 29, 2011
Google Pixel 4
Google Pixel 4 XL
@Apo11on...as pulsar said we do have good kernel devs. they are on open .source. i also have told u once that the patch is for inside the kernel to trigger when LK bootloader is in place. your idea or concept of a flashabale zip is not easy at all. and i know Stevie probably more focused on ironing out bugs. which i have ran into. also have offered to share my personal kernel with u but u refused. if i were u; its time to invest sometime and learn how to..instead of request or demanding someone to update or make for u. open source is fun to play. give it a shot and enjoy.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Apo11on

Sep 5, 2008
San Diego, CA
@Apo11on...as pulsar said we do have good kernel devs. they are on open .source. i also have told u once that the patch is for inside the kernel to trigger when LK bootloader is in place. your idea or concept of a flashabale zip is not easy at all. and i know Stevie probably more focused on ironing out bugs. which i have ran into. also have offered to share my personal kernel with u but u refused. if i were u; its time to invest sometime and learn how to..instead of request or demanding someone to update or make for u. open source is fun to play. give it a shot and enjoy.

All I did is ask the dev if he had a chance to look into a patch, which he said he would do a month ago...there is no need to bite my head off, and I don't recall making any demands. Thanks for the advice on the learning - i'll keep that in mind.

If your kernel is solid enough and has things, that other kernels don't - why won't you share it with the people here, not just me, and post it in the development thread?

shangrila500

Jan 24, 2010

When and why did Doomlord leave?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Premium HD app

---------- Post added at 03:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:57 PM ----------

How do we go about finding these kernels that are being worked on by these devs when they arent posted? Do we have to build them from source or is there another site we can find them on?

Apo11on

Sep 5, 2008
San Diego, CA
@shangrila500 He made a post in one of his threads in the development section for XTZ over a month ago, not sure exactly how long, saying he decided to focus on development for devices he owns, and he doesnt own XTZ. You're welcome to search his posts from the past couple of months - I'm sure you'll see it. Or, shoot him a pm to confirm.

I also agree with you that if there other kernel devs for XTZ, who dont make images or flashable zips, dont post on XDA and we dont know who they are and unaware of the work being done - that does not invalidate my statement "we have no kernel devs", as far as I'm concerned...Also, over 90% of the member here cannot compile stuff from source, so even if we knew who those people are and had access to their kernel sources - it wouldnt help.

Last edited:

zylstrajs

Jun 4, 2013
When and why did Doomlord leave?

He entered the developer contest for a giveaway XTZ tablet and in the end his work wasn't picked up/rewarded with a tablet... Its totally understandable that he made the decision to only develop for the devices that he owns, its just a shame that he didn't end up with an XTZ... ( I believe this dev got a tablet z, look at when it was last updated/how progress went... http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2337281 )

His last account activity? 14th July 2013 12:15 PM

Last edited:
Reactions: shangrila500

lilstevie

Apr 17, 2009
He entered the developer contest for a giveaway XTZ tablet and in the end his work wasn't picked up/rewarded with a tablet... Its totally understandable that he made the decision to only develop for the devices that he owns, its just a shame that he didn't end up with an XTZ... ( I believe this dev got a tablet z, look at when it was last updated/how progress went... http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2337281 )

His last account activity? 14th July 2013 12:15 PM

Sounds like lovely behaviour, "wah I didn't get a tablet... /raegquit". That behaviour is that of a dev I would not work with, besides my project hasn't been updated for a while either, is it dead? no, is there work going on to make it better? yes. You do not know whether that other guy is still working on getting his project off the ground.

I rather devs that take their time to make something that works rather than someone who releases several versions over the period of a few weeks because of sloppy work, and I especially do not agree with devs who insist on releasing stuff for devices they do not have, then get ****ty when someone won't give them said device.

om22

Feb 4, 2013
Munich
Is there a chance to have the ability to flash a new kernel from recovery with this mod?

Gesendet von meinem Xperia Arc S mit Tapatalk 4

lilstevie

Apr 17, 2009
Is there a chance to have the ability to flash a new kernel from recovery with this mod?

Gesendet von meinem Xperia Arc S mit Tapatalk 4

As far as I am aware twrp already does allow this as it flips boot and fotakernel.

I am however checking with dees_troy at the moment to check

Reactions: om22

asweetlove

Feb 16, 2011
on step 2. Flash pollux_windy-lk.img, what command do i type in cmd windows to do this ? please help

PS: when i use fastboot flash recovery pollux_wifionly.img, it said "writing recovery....failed remote: command not allowed"

Last edited:

skiwong20

Nov 29, 2011
Google Pixel 4
Google Pixel 4 XL
on step 2. Flash pollux_windy-lk.img, what command do i type in cmd windows to do this ? please help

PS: when i use fastboot flash recovery pollux_wifionly.img, it said "writing recovery....failed remote: command not allowed"

fastboot flash boot pollux_wind-lk.img

reboot
hit the down volume key a couple times and u should be in lk fastboot and then flash the recovery.img and the kernel u choose ex:to boot cm10.2 u need to download the rom to a computer first and extract the boot.img..and copy the rom to your tab. from there use the boot image u extracted and now flash it fastboot to the boot partion and then flash the recovery img... then reboot. hit up volume a couple time right away and get into recovery nd flash rom like normal

asweetlove

Feb 16, 2011
fastboot flash boot pollux_wind-lk.img

reboot
hit the down volume key a couple times and u should be in lk fastboot and then flash the recovery.img and the kernel u choose ex:to boot cm10.2 u need to download the rom to a computer first and extract the boot.img..and copy the rom to your tab. from there use the boot image u extracted and now flash it fastboot to the boot partion and then flash the recovery img... then reboot. hit up volume a couple time right away and get into recovery nd flash rom like normal

but after i typed fastboot reboot, and then press vol down, it either entered flash mode or stuck with a red LED

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Note: This is a preview build only, features may change or be incomplete at this time
    SGP311 & SGP312 only

Installation instructions in the second post, download links in the third

What is LittleKernel?
    LittleKernel is an opensource bootloader for qualcomm devices available from codeaurora.

Why LK?
    TL;DR Version
    LK allows running separate boot and recovery that are fully independant of eachother.​

Sony use a special method of booting into recovery for their updates, this is not available when you are unlocked, and there is no button combination to enter this mode. As a result the common method to get recovery on Xperia devices has been to use an initrd that has a script to load either normal boot or recovery boot based on a button press. This is a far from ideal solution as when you update your kernel it also updates your recovery. If something goes wrong you are stuck needing a computer to reflash the kernel partition.

With the recent addition of TWRP support for the latest devices there have been advances made in this technique making recovery updatable it still requires the flashed boot image to support that method. This is less than ideal still as it reduces choice in what you want on your device, giving the decision to the dev of the rom you have flashed. This also leaves you in the position of needing your computer if a kernel update fails for any reason.

LK solves these problems by separating out boot and recovery to their own kernels with their own ramdisks like every other device, if you flash the boot kernel, recovery isn't touched and will be there for you as a failsafe in case anything goes wrong. This removes the need to have a computer near by in case of breakage occuring.

What progress has been made?

I have been working on LK for the Xperia Z phone and since the release for the Xperia T have managed to make things a little more portable between devices.

Once the hardware arrives I need to compare the expected configuration against what is expected and add these definitions into my Xperia modifications to the aboot module.

Are there any changes that devs should look at?

Yes, they are minor but I suggest that devs look at the implementation by Dees_Troy for flip flopping boot and fota kernel. Soon I will also publish a patch to kernel restart procedure so that reboot messages can be passed to LK from kernel without S1Boot intercepting and clearing them.

Reboot patch will be very similar to http://review.cyanogenmod.org/#/c/44366/

XDA:DevDB Information
    LK (LittleKernel) for Tablet Z, a Tool/Utility for the Sony Xperia Tablet Z

Contributors
    lilstevie

Version Information
    Current Beta Version: 1.0a
    Beta Release Date: 2013-07-02

Created 2013-07-30
    Last Updated 2013-08-26
    Installation:
    Follow these instructions for installing the preview of lk.
    1. Boot device in fastboot mode
    2. Flash pollux_windy-lk.img
    3. Type "fastboot reboot"
    4. Press Vol-Down between 1 and 5 seconds after rebooting
    5. Flash boot.img with "fastboot flash boot boot-pollux_windy.img"
    6. Flash recovery with "fastboot flash recovery pollux_wifionly.img"
    7. Reboot device

Notes:

S1Boot (default bootloader) has different Device ID's to LK, this is to make it easier to identify when you are in lk fastboot, and because google's drivers are more available. The device will show up like the following if you are in lk fastboot:
    Code:
    Bus 001 Device 049: ID 18d1:d00d Google Inc.

This is only a preview, if your serial number does not show up in settings please notify me so that this can be investigated.

This is for Pollux_Windy only, that is the WiFi version of the Tablet Z, Model numbers are SGP311 and SGP312.

Because this is chainloaded from S1Boot pressing vol-up/down within the first second from pressing the power button may end up in flashmode or sony's fastboot. There is a 5 second timeout for pressing buttons in LK, you will not miss it if you wait a second.

Volume-up will boot the kernel you have flashed to recovery.
    Volume-down boots into fastboot.
    LK is up and running on my tabz now, in the morning I am going to push out a preview build.
    Downloads:

LK for pollux_windy: here
    Stock boot image: here

TWRP by Dees_Troy: here

Note: The boot.img is entirely stock, only repacked for use with lk. Kernel is from .370
    updated first few posts with preview build and information on installing