Thanks Meter: 174

By Myriachan, Senior Member on 27th June 2013, 09:04 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
25th July 2013, 07:01 PM |#31  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myriachan

A more accurate way to state this, for technically-minded people reading the thread:

The raw exploit used to attack the kernel has not been fixed, but access to the place where we need to be in order to make use of the exploit has been blocked off.

And the community here has faith that it will only be a matter of time before one of you discovers a workaround which enables you to use the exploit again...
...or that Microsoft will come to its senses after seeing the interest that has been generated in developing/recompiling desktop apps for Windows RT and provides the option allowing end users to run unsigned code at their own risk. (one can dream )

Anyways, thank you netham45, mamaich, and Myriachan for all your hard work!!

8th August 2013, 06:20 PM |#32  
Thanks Meter: 43

More
A bit related, but is the Vivo Tab the only one with that exploit, or do Lenovo's RT devices also have a similar exploit?
9th August 2013, 02:28 AM |#33  
Retired Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 221

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnack

A bit related, but is the Vivo Tab the only one with that exploit, or do Lenovo's RT devices also have a similar exploit?

If you are talking about the ability to run any unsigned EFI module (like the Windows loader with removed signature checks) - than it was currently tested to work only on VivoTab devices and not to work on Surface. It is based on the Nvidia code, so devices based on other CPUs would not be supported.

But there would definitely be ways to jailbreak 8.1. For example I have several ideas to test, but currently don't have time for that.
9th August 2013, 08:14 AM |#34  
Thanks Meter: 43

More
Well the Yoga 11 RT is also NVidia based like the Surface RT and Vivo RT.
9th August 2013, 03:17 PM |#35  
Thanks Meter: 19

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnack

Well the Yoga 11 RT is also NVidia based like the Surface RT and Vivo RT.

What mamaich meant was that the current 8.1 exploit is specific to the Vivo Tab - that means no on the Yoga, for now. The 8.1 exploit has more to do with Asus's drivers than Nvidia's, to my knowledge.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to jtg007 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jtg007 Ad-Free
10th August 2013, 03:03 AM |#36  
Flag Baltimore, MD and New York, NY
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Question
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myriachan

It looks like they locked out the jailbreak from 8.1 by invalidating all old signatures. Windows RT 8.1's ci.dll does not trust the "1.3.6.1.4.1.311.10.3.6" OID in certificates anymore, only a new "1.3.6.1.4.1.311.10.3.21" OID. Both are required now....

I was reading through Sideload Windows Store Apps. Is it possible to install the 8.0 certificate on an 8.1 device and then side load the needed tools (for example, the debugger)?
10th August 2013, 04:48 AM |#37  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 174

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by noloader

I was reading through Sideload Windows Store Apps. Is it possible to install the 8.0 certificate on an 8.1 device and then side load the needed tools (for example, the debugger)?

Sadly, no, for two reasons. The first is that Windows RT's enforcement of what is allowed to run is enforced by the same kernel driver that enforces what kernel drivers can run, ci.dll. ci.dll has a hard-coded list of certificates that it trusts and there is no way to add additional certificates.

The second is that the certificates aren't really the problem - the object identifiers (OIDs) are. Windows 8.1 didn't invalidate the 8.0 certificates in the ordinary certificate revocation sense; rather, they changed ci.dll to require that a new OID be present in any signature for it to be trusted in 8.1. None of the 8.0 signatures have this OID.

Windows Apps seem to use a different signature system overall. Unsigned Apps can be used if you have a developer certificate, and Apps installed by 8.0 are still valid in 8.1. Similarly, there is something special going on for sideloading. I don't personally know how any of that works, but I do know that sideloading isn't useful, because the privilege level of Apps is too low to be useful for much of anything.

By the way, progress on breaking 8.1:

https://twitter.com/Myriachan/status...50790803619840
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Myriachan For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Myriachan Ad-Free
10th August 2013, 04:35 PM |#38  
Thanks Meter: 46

More
13th August 2013, 08:07 AM |#39  
Looks like 8.1 will be released in October.. There is also a leaked near-final 8.1 version (no download link though) in the link I provided. Don't know if it has an RT version..
http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/12/46...l-availability

Sent from my Carbonized Blaze
30th September 2013, 09:07 PM |#40  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
I REALLY hope Microsoft pulls its head out of it's rear end and let user run 3rd party "non signed/MS app store" apps

I understand it is a security risk but look how android does it. there is a toggle to install apps outside of the ecosystem/store.

After switching from a Surface RT to a XPS10 and finding out it the jail break doesn't work. the table loses 50% of the usability for me.

MS STOP BEING JERKS AND LET US USE 3RD PARTY APPS.

it will really increase developers for your platform and customer by gettin it more apps.

I'm a big android fan but aftert trying the surface/xps10 I really like windows RT but this issue is keeping me away from buying any of the newer devices
30th September 2013, 09:10 PM |#41  
Thanks Meter: 326

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by geniv

After switching from a Surface RT to a XPS10 and finding out it the jail break doesn't work

The jailbreak works on the XPS10 too, unless you updated it to 8.1 of course
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)