[RECOVERY] OUYA Safe Recovery // A flasher's failsafe.

Search This thread

ProfessorAnomaly

Apr 20, 2013
Mountain View, CA
OUYA Safe Recovery v1.0.0
Because the OUYA lacks a hardware recovery button combination.
Purpose

To create a safe environment where the end user can flash their OUYA with confidence.

How This is Achieved

By switching the roles of the boot image and the recovery image, the user is presented with a customized recovery before entering the actual ROM. This gives the user a failsafe before they start to flash their OUYA. This way if something were to go wrong in the flashing process, the recovery image is still in tact and the system can be restored to a working state.

Features

Custom font size that looks better on HDTV's.
Custom color scheme that matches that of the OUYA theming.
Custom reboot options.

Attachments

• IMAG0032.jpg
    IMAG0032.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 2,626
Last edited:

ProfessorAnomaly

Apr 20, 2013
Mountain View, CA
Installation Methods

Method 1 - Computer

Simply download the archieve containing a script that will flash your OUYA. Follow the on-screen directions based on the OS your computer is running.

Method 2 - Recovery

This method is a little more dangerous, but if you already have Clockworkmod Recovery installed on your OUYA you can flash the specified zip to install OUYA Safe Recovery.

Last edited:

ProfessorAnomaly

Apr 20, 2013
Mountain View, CA
Last edited:

ProfessorAnomaly

Apr 20, 2013
Mountain View, CA
Credits

Credit to koush for maintaining ClockworkMod Recovery which this recovery is built and compiled from, and to mybook4 for the original CWM port to the OUYA.

Donations and Thanks

If you like the work that I am doing and would like to send a donation my way, please feel free to do so, even though it is not required. Every dollar is appreciated, and will go towards future development costs.

Last edited:

qwasz123

Jul 30, 2010
Will we be able to install Cyanogenmod 10 with this recovery? Or will we need to replace the boot.Img in the zip so it will gflash correctly without having to use fastboot?

Edit: Where are my manners, AWESOME! Thanks for the recovery! I remember you talking about it in the Cyanogenmod Thread and I didn't expect it to be made so fast!

Last edited:

ProfessorAnomaly

Apr 20, 2013
Mountain View, CA
Will we be able to install Cyanogenmod 10 with this recovery? Or will we need to replace the boot.Img in the zip so it will gflash correctly without having to use fastboot?

Edit: Where are my manners, AWESOME! Thanks for the recovery! I remember you talking about it in the Cyanogenmod Thread and I didn't expect it to be made so fast!

To install Cyanogenmod 10 you will need to manually flash the boot.img to the recovery partition.

Code:
fastboot flash recovery 20130702-boot.img

Thanks for the nice comment!

qwasz123

Jul 30, 2010
To install Cyanogenmod 10 you will need to manually flash the boot.img to the recovery partition.

Code:
fastboot flash recovery 20130702-boot.img

Thanks for the nice comment!

You're welcome!

So I'm guessing all of the roms need to be updated to install to the recovery partition instead of the boot partition?

S

suruceanu.nick

Hi, you have done A Great Job, i flashed (via CWM) the recovery and Its working, i also flashed boot image (via Fastboot) and its booting.. Everything is working, we are safe Now!!! Finally!!!! Thanks to you!!!

This should be in Xda Portal!!!!

Only one thing remains what should we choose when we are asked to disable recovery flash... ?

SniperJunkie

Jul 2, 2007
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Tried the installer from windows and it reset the ouya and booted back into the ouya launcher? Am I doing something wrong? So far im rooted and adb is working as its sending the files to my internal SD Card. Driver is installed correctly on the pc. Im running Windows 7 (x86).

Sent from my A210 using Tapatalk 4

gianptune

Oct 10, 2010
Does this have any passthrough mode? I mean, is there any functionality to make it automatically boot into the rom by default, and only show the recovery screen if you are holding the power button or some key on the usb keyboard?

ProfessorAnomaly

Apr 20, 2013
Mountain View, CA
Hi, you have done A Great Job, i flashed (via CWM) the recovery and Its working, i also flashed boot image (via Fastboot) and its booting.. Everything is working, we are safe Now!!! Finally!!!! Thanks to you!!!

This should be in Xda Portal!!!!

Only one thing remains what should we choose when we are asked to disable recovery flash... ?

I've been choosing no, but I doubt it makes much of a difference.

ProfessorAnomaly

Apr 20, 2013
Mountain View, CA
Tried the installer from windows and it reset the ouya and booted back into the ouya launcher? Am I doing something wrong? So far im rooted and adb is working as its sending the files to my internal SD Card. Driver is installed correctly on the pc. Im running Windows 7 (x86).

Sent from my A210 using Tapatalk 4

It should work. I don't see why it wouldn't if adb is working correctly.
Maybe a bad download is to blame?

Asadullah

Aug 24, 2010
casselberry
This is what I have planned for the next update. Shouldn't be too long before I get it worked out. :)

I believe that for koush bootstrap recovery what it does is puts a certain file /system/etc on successful shut down and when it restarts the recovery checks first if the file is there and it moves into normal boot and after that it destroys the file to be rebuilt on successful shutdown.
But if the file is not found it goes into recovery mode

Sam3gX

Jul 24, 2009
Long Beach, CA
I installed this but I'm confused on how to get into recovery. When trying to boot into recovery, it boots into a screen with a Ouya logo and an exclamation mark right under it (Ouya !")

Last edited:

ProfessorAnomaly

Apr 20, 2013
Mountain View, CA

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OUYA Safe Recovery v1.0.0
    Because the OUYA lacks a hardware recovery button combination.
    Purpose

To create a safe environment where the end user can flash their OUYA with confidence.

How This is Achieved

By switching the roles of the boot image and the recovery image, the user is presented with a customized recovery before entering the actual ROM. This gives the user a failsafe before they start to flash their OUYA. This way if something were to go wrong in the flashing process, the recovery image is still in tact and the system can be restored to a working state.

Features

Custom font size that looks better on HDTV's.
    Custom color scheme that matches that of the OUYA theming.
    Custom reboot options.
    Downloads

Computer Method: Ouya Safe Recovery Installer v1.0.0.zip - 16.08 MB
    Recovery Method: update_v1.0.0.zip - 6.93 MB

Source and GPL

The source for this project is quite simple, but will continue to evolve over time. If you are interested in taking a look at the required source code or compiling your own Safe Recovery binary, you can find the requested material here.
    Installation Methods

Method 1 - Computer

Simply download the archieve containing a script that will flash your OUYA. Follow the on-screen directions based on the OS your computer is running.

Method 2 - Recovery

This method is a little more dangerous, but if you already have Clockworkmod Recovery installed on your OUYA you can flash the specified zip to install OUYA Safe Recovery.
    Credits

Credit to koush for maintaining ClockworkMod Recovery which this recovery is built and compiled from, and to mybook4 for the original CWM port to the OUYA.

Donations and Thanks

If you like the work that I am doing and would like to send a donation my way, please feel free to do so, even though it is not required. Every dollar is appreciated, and will go towards future development costs.