137 posts
Thanks Meter: 7

By squarejp, Senior Member on 5th May 2013, 05:08 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
9th August 2013, 12:04 PM |#11  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Why not buy an original one, guaranteed to work. I have had mine since day one and works great, even when flipped back. I can post a video. If need be.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using xda premium

9th August 2013, 12:29 PM |#12  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalMusic

Why not buy an original one, guaranteed to work. I have had mine since day one and works great, even when flipped back. I can post a video. If need be.

But does the compass work?
9th August 2013, 12:30 PM |#13  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlar

But does the compass work?

When the case is open or closed.

9th August 2013, 12:33 PM |#14  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:

When the case is open or closed.

If you open a compass app, does it point to the right directions (south, north etc) even when you slowly rotate the phone horizontally?
9th August 2013, 03:24 PM |#15  
Thanks Meter: 843

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlar

If you open a compass app, does it point to the right directions (south, north etc) even when you slowly rotate the phone horizontally?

Maybe it is different for you, but the compass on the S4 sucks with or without the S-Cover. It constantly need recalibrating on many of these phones.
9th August 2013, 04:03 PM |#16  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott14719

Maybe it is different for you, but the compass on the S4 sucks with or without the S-Cover. It constantly need recalibrating on many of these phones.

I agree. What is the reason for this though? Is it a software problem that could be fixed with an update, or a hardware problem which is pretty much permanent?
9th August 2013, 09:33 PM |#17  
Flag UK
Thanks Meter: 6,327

Donate to Me
More
My S4 S-View (original) cover definitely interferes with compass readings. As this is an original Samsung case I find this quite incredible how this has been overlooked.

With the case on and open, my compass app would always point in the same direction.
Gradual movement of the front cover from the open to closed position would quickly alter the compass bearing etc.

I decided to ditch the S-View cover for the standard one for the following reasons:
1. Affects compass bearings as described
2. Unable to see notification LED when the cover is closed. (it is in fact not enabled at all when its closed)
3. I'd rather see my full screen caller ID on an incoming call than the small S-View window. I know if you open the case you will then see the caller ID screen, but I'd prefer to see it from the offset.

Only drawback now is that I hate leaving the screen uncovered so I've put a screen protector on, and I can never get to fit one perfectly...I always seem to get one or two specs of dust that cause bubbles.
9th August 2013, 10:45 PM |#18  
Thanks Meter: 843

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aitch

I agree. What is the reason for this though? Is it a software problem that could be fixed with an update, or a hardware problem which is pretty much permanent?

I am guessing it is a hardware issue because several people have the problem (there is a thread in the "general" section about it) and it doesn't seem to matter which app or APK is used with it, it has the same issues and needs to be recalibrated periodically to work properly.
10th August 2013, 12:12 AM |#19  
Flag Los Angeles, CA
Thanks Meter: 54

More
Quote:

Well, it's tough to purchase a legit one sometimes, and knowing IF that design flaw doesn't exist in an authentic version would make it worth it.

Edit:
Fixed it myself. I pried open the fabric, took out the magnet, put a nail between the magnet and the hammer to shatter it, and put back half a disc. Works perfectly.
14th August 2013, 02:41 AM |#20  
Flag Bucharest
Thanks Meter: 87

More
I have the original S-view cover and if I slowly open or close the cover over the phone, the compass changes values, and I even got a notification in compass app regarding the magnetic field while playing with the cover.
Is there any way to repair this behavior while keeping the S-view functionality?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)