[ROM][4.3][ CM 10.2.] Unofficial CM 10.2 for Galaxy Note II (N7100)

What DPI Should the ROM run at?

• Total voters
Search This thread

pulser_g2

Admin Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 27, 2009
Keep that in mind. CM was and is used for a reason. This reason will be vanished, if CM keeps simplifying things, if it gets closer to Google politics and wishes.

Sent from mobile.

Possibly relevant here regarding CTS compatibility...

----

CM are currently working hard to make their rom pass CTS testing. This is why root feels 'broken' out the box, as it needs to be manually enabled. They do this to meet CTS testing that says no extra daemons may run. This is on gerrit, I'll post a link if desired by anyone.

The problem is that with every step towards passing the android CTS suite, it's another step towards becoming "just another stock ROM". Another example I saw recently was the move away from allowing camera to take photos to the SD. Why?, I hear you ask...

To meet CTS requirements.

If CM is trying so hard to do this, isn't it going to spoil the whole experience for everyone who likes the current custom ROM situation, giving them control over their device in a way Google won't allow.

I suggest, ladies and gents, if the direction is towards passing CTS, that this direction is at odds with the desires of most people who commented here, wanting a custom ROM with the features and improvements they desire. I mean seriously - removing ability to save photos to a hardware SD? I honestly was shocked when I saw that exchange take place...

Sure passing CTS would be lovely if it didn't remove all the good things about CM. But I counter the criticisms here by suggesting that to go down this route will end up removing the reasons to use a custom ROM in the first place.

No carrier will likely ship a device without CTS as it would mean no Google apps. So take a read of CTS and see what other things it prevents... Saving photos to SD is just the start of it. By complying with CTS to the letter, it's a push to become "Google friendly" at the expense of being power user friendly.

FUSIONdev

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 23, 2011
So... Pulser confirmed what I said some pages ago.

Cyanogenmod 9/10 is not anymore cyanogenmod... the advanced rom, full of advanced controls.

But removing also saturation control is insane... cyanogenmod is going to be less configurable than a stock touchwiz rom -.-

Something is going wrong on the team...

maniac103

Jan 3, 2008
So... Pulser confirmed what I said some pages ago.

Cyanogenmod 9/10 is not anymore cyanogenmod... the advanced rom, full of advanced controls.
Right. If you see CM as the ROM full of knobs everywhere as was CM7, AOKP is probably your choice. (In fact, this direction change is why AOKP exists at all).

But removing also saturation control is insane... cyanogenmod is going to be less configurable than a stock touchwiz rom -.-

Something is going wrong on the team...

You surely have a link stating that saturation control is to be removed for good, as you already have settled on a conclusion that 'something is going wrong'?

(Hint: Just read my postings above, your conclusion probably is premature)

pulser_g2

Nov 27, 2009
Right. If you see CM as the ROM full of knobs everywhere as was CM7, AOKP is probably your choice. (In fact, this direction change is why AOKP exists at all).

You surely have a link stating that saturation control is to be removed for good, as you already have settled on a conclusion that 'something is going wrong'?

(Hint: Just read my postings above, your conclusion probably is premature)

Regarding documentation, the n4 was already sparse due to one individual's personal dislike of device specific settings. I understand it doesn't have proper gamma control, despite that being possible to do (instead simply tweaking colour levels?). Surely the example reference needs to be a device which heavily uses all the different types of settings, including boolean settings, colour levels, touch sensitivity etc.

I mentioned the latter as I know you trivialised it, but for some devices it's pretty essential, especially some tablets.

Regarding CTS, any comments on why everything is going towards trying to pass CTS, regardless of what it removed or compromises? Example being not re-adding the ability to save to an external SD, for the reason that the CTS "rules", which are issued by Google, continue to push everyone away from SD cards, to further their own cloud storage offerings.

Maybe I'm missing something, but is the aim of CM to give the best experience for every user, or simply to give a less then optimal, but consistent experience?

Lately the push to unify everything is understandable, but should it be at expense of decide specific features, such as using an external SD card. People buy phones looking for that, yet cm would appear to prefer to go comply with CTS than give people choices they have had for years with CM?

Regarding the second point, arcee went and said he thinks these kinda of settings are pointless and unnecessary, so perhaps that's the reason for confusion?

When a CM "lead" goes saying he thinks these settings are unimportant and likens them to being trivial, don't you think that undermines those who put time into making CM the best it can be for users on devices?

Nobody uses CM on a device that has literally no device specific setting or feature - even the nexus 4 should have settings like

maniac103

Jan 3, 2008
Regarding documentation, the n4 was already sparse due to one individual's personal dislike of device specific settings. I understand it doesn't have proper gamma control, despite that being possible to do (instead simply tweaking colour levels?). Surely the example reference needs to be a device which heavily uses all the different types of settings, including boolean settings, colour levels, touch sensitivity etc.
I guess we have different understandings of 'example'. I fail to see why the stuff in the N4 repo + the README shouldn't be enough to understand how it's going to work. Adding new interfaces is pretty much straightforward from there.

Regarding CTS, any comments on why everything is going towards trying to pass CTS, regardless of what it removed or compromises? Example being not re-adding the ability to save to an external SD, for the reason that the CTS "rules", which are issued by Google, continue to push everyone away from SD cards, to further their own cloud storage offerings.
Got a quote/link for that? I haven't seen anyone shooting down the SD card support patch for camera or the patch for making the SD card the primary storage yet.

Maybe I'm missing something, but is the aim of CM to give the best experience for every user, or simply to give a less then optimal, but consistent experience?
There is no such thing as a 'best experience for every user'. More knobs don't necessarily mean better experience.

When a CM "lead" goes saying he thinks these settings are unimportant and likens them to being trivial, don't you think that undermines those who put time into making CM the best it can be for users on devices?
No, I don't think so, at least if 'those' are thinking about what arcee is trying to convey.

At this point, I don't think furtherly discussing with you about this makes any sense, TBH. You are on a personal mission against arcee and/or against what you think his goals and motivations are, without acknowledging the advantages of the suggested way. I don't feel like I can convince you about those advantages, so it's not a good use of time to argue about it.

(BTW, I was a huge proponent of DeviceParts in the beginning, which was CM7. I think I was even among the first who wrote an actual DeviceParts implementation [DefyParts]. But having seen the ugly code and UI in some DeviceParts instances, I think getting rid of it and merging the useful parts of it into the settings app really is a good idea. IMHO it would be a more productive use of your time gerriting patches for the Note specific interfaces than it is to complain on XDA, as that would actually benefit your users on CM 10.2. But that's obviously up to you to decide.)

skynet11

Oct 14, 2010
So how does Project Nemesis fit into this picture? My (admittedly limited) understanding of it is that it allows device-specific features (i.e. "more knobs" ) to be added by device maintainers, which would seem to be counter to this "dumbing-down" trend being discussed here. On the other hand, Nemesis does seem to fit nicely with this commercialization focus in that it claims to emphasize professional-grade apps to rival those found in OEM skins.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlienSr1

crypta

There is no such thing as a 'best experience for every user'. More knobs don't necessarily mean better experience.

I agree with you. Basic UX-Design tells us, that simplicity is the key. And this teaching is right.
But - and that's the complicated at this - this doesn't mean, that taking away options is the right thing.
E.g. if you would follow this statement word by word, you'll probably end up with something like iOS.
The great mastering is, to keep UIs simple and easy, to give the user a sufficient if not great out-of-the-box product WITHOUT limiting the user's possibilities. OK, CM will do that first part, if I understood you right.
The second part has some more advanced motivations, for a company it keeps the support tickets low, if they make nothing else available to the user, than just the absolut basics.
"no settings, no toying it unusable".
This seems to me one of the reasons, why stock roms don't give the owner proper ownership of his bought product with withholding him root.
But has CM guaranteed support or is a company?
What exactly are the aims of CM?

Taken from the CM Web site (which starts with its features first):
Based on the Android Open Source Project, CyanogenMod is designed to increase performance and reliability over Android-based ROMs released by vendors and carriers such as Google, T-Mobile, HTC, etc. CyanogenMod also offers a variety of features & enhancements that are not currently found in these versions of Android.

And I'll end my post with:
There is no such thing as a 'best experience for every user'. Less knobs don't necessarily mean better experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: rashid.fairus

crypta

Sure, too much talking can be a problem.
To less, could also be bad.

I don't comply with everything said here, but it helped me, to adjust my focus to rethinking year old opinions and ask more for current motivations of "projects".
And, if I only follow maniac's words, still then I question myself, if CM goes in the directions, I want a part of my world to be in. And I don't think so.
So much influence, so much dev power, so good reputation, so great work... and sadly I think, they don't take the responsibility to make the world a better place, instead just concentrating on the own "success".
OK, here come politics, but politics are also a part of our each and own individual reality like CM is. The news showed us that we are in 2013 and not just 1984 anymore... much is lost, privacy hard to maintain... and what does CM? gives us a privacy guard, which isn't one. A false feeling of safety. CM would be better without it. ..ah, wait... then the "consumer" installs less CM.
Yes, that is only one point/ app, but it was an eyeopener for me.
And like anybody else, who isn't active in the AOSP/AOKP/CM/DEV scene, I am not able to invest weeks to get proberly informed to judge for or against CM .. so I rely on own experience like with pguard, some research.. and sure, will be wrong in one or another point of view. But so that's life.

pulser_g2

Nov 27, 2009
I guess we have different understandings of 'example'. I fail to see why the stuff in the N4 repo + the README shouldn't be enough to understand how it's going to work. Adding new interfaces is pretty much straightforward from there.

Got a quote/link for that? I haven't seen anyone shooting down the SD card support patch for camera or the patch for making the SD card the primary storage yet.

No, I don't think so, at least if 'those' are thinking about what arcee is trying to convey.

At this point, I don't think furtherly discussing with you about this makes any sense, TBH. You are on a personal mission against arcee and/or against what you think his goals and motivations are, without acknowledging the advantages of the suggested way. I don't feel like I can convince you about those advantages, so it's not a good use of time to argue about it.

(BTW, I was a huge proponent of DeviceParts in the beginning, which was CM7. I think I was even among the first who wrote an actual DeviceParts implementation [DefyParts]. But having seen the ugly code and UI in some DeviceParts instances, I think getting rid of it and merging the useful parts of it into the settings app really is a good idea. IMHO it would be a more productive use of your time gerriting patches for the Note specific interfaces than it is to complain on XDA, as that would actually benefit your users on CM 10.2. But that's obviously up to you to decide.)

IRC discussion involving atinm and arcee (I think), I can find it if you want a reference.

I honestly don't want to turn it into a crusade and I'm glad to discuss it. The trouble is that he's said on the record that he doesn't like these settings and finds them pointless.

Indeed, I remember defy parts actually :) kudos for it, was a good solution that saw through a lot of use.

I see fully the advantages, as I actually backed him originally when the choice of device parts versus putting options in the "logical" places was discussed on the old mailing list. It makes more sense to put the settings into display than advanced, for example.

The entire disagreement stems over the process - removing what works before implementing the new solution? That's bad programming practice in any scheme of work I've seen. Couple that with his apparent dislike for per device customisation... I know other CM guys who have been put off work on the n4 due to this attitude, but it's up to them if they want to come forward or not...

Regarding CTS, any thoughts on the continual trend to try to pass CTS? Saying no to su daemon by default for the reason of "it breaks CTS", rather than the obvious "well root is dangerous, disable by default" which I thought would be the reason...

I can find you the discussion regarding SD cards if you like, where one of the CM guys was asked by another if he would implement the camera storage toggle, and he said no, and was applauded since it would break CTS.

Reactions: Formhault

pulser_g2

Nov 27, 2009
Sure, too much talking can be a problem.
To less, could also be bad.

I don't comply with everything said here, but it helped me, to adjust my focus to rethinking year old opinions and ask more for current motivations of "projects".
And, if I only follow maniac's words, still then I question myself, if CM goes in the directions, I want a part of my world to be in. And I don't think so.
So much influence, so much dev power, so good reputation, so great work... and sadly I think, they don't take the responsibility to make the world a better place, instead just concentrating on the own "success".
OK, here come politics, but politics are also a part of our each and own individual reality like CM is. The news showed us that we are in 2013 and not just 1984 anymore... much is lost, privacy hard to maintain... and what does CM? gives us a privacy guard, which isn't one. A false feeling of safety. CM would be better without it. ..ah, wait... then the "consumer" installs less CM.
Yes, that is only one point/ app, but it was an eyeopener for me.
And like anybody else, who isn't active in the AOSP/AOKP/CM/DEV scene, I am not able to invest weeks to get proberly informed to judge for or against CM .. so I rely on own experience like with pguard, some research.. and sure, will be wrong in one or another point of view. But so that's life.

Totally agree. If CM followed a standard development process, feature wouldn't be removed, expecting them to be re-added in future.

I totally agree though about motivations - I'm happy to be entirely upfront with people. I don't have the aim to get this rom into more phones, or to make money or become famous. Instead I have a goal to many my note 2 be the way it should be. Not how someone else says.

I think the reaction to privacy guard is interesting to review - CM accepted it from the original guy (Plamen was his name, brilliant guy, definitely owe him a beer), and merged it into CM7. The issues of bug reporting due to permissions blocking were addressed by preventing crash reports to app developers when permissions were revoked, and displaying a button warning of this when a force close occured with revoked permissions.

The change quickly got negative attention from Google (I believe), and cm decided they didn't want to create a "hostile environment" for apps to work in. That's why even the original changes of pffmod were watered down to prevent mocking or spoofing data.

With cm9 the feature was removed. Steve (Kondik) even commented fairly recently that he was surprised nobody had made a privacy conscious fork of CM. I question why this needs to be a fork at all - what's so dangerous about putting users in a position to protect their privacy?

Eventually, after -2'ing my patch which proposed PDroid into CM (without any explanation whatsoever, check it on gerrit, username pulser), and users eventually starting to care, finally there is enough pressure that Steve says they are considering implementing privacy guard.

I pointed out at this time before development started that this wasn't protecting privacy, as it failed to protect the user from tracking by IMEI etc. This was passed off as being not within the scope of the privacy guard... Instead it only focuses on stopping a rogue app from stealing data like contacts or messages or calendar information... Yet totally overlooks the entire need for privacy from companies who try to track users based on their IMEI or other device identifiers.

CM continue to take the attitude that it's not necessary to do anything here. I continue to disagree. It is necessary to give users to tools to protect their privacy. Otherwise where will we end up?

But to give users a false assurance of privacy when it even advertises to the app that the user is using the privacy mode isn't a good idea - simple social engineering message asking the user to disable the protection would get round this. Much better to make such a privacy more undetectable to the app.

I have no firm proof of why this is the CM "way", but they seem to always be intent to be friendly to app developers and I know some of their leads are involved in apps... Maybe there is a connection here? I don't know...

It's certainly disconcerting that CM would rather someone fork to make a privacy focused rom, rather than integrate such features into the Rom.

And the whole debate actually started as a result of CM trying to turn on anonymous stata tracking by default in the Rom. Let's not return to that dev, but I personally allow those stats, for the sole reason they're optional. But unfortunately cm valued finding out how many users they had, over the integrity and ethics... Anyway in the end, they undid it, due to the amount of whining and bad press it caught.

Putting 2+2 together here leads to an interesting picture of a project which I don't feel puts its users first. Privacy guard should at least feature a warning it won't protect against tracking, and recommend a way to do that :)

crypta

On the other hand, it could be a more modern definition of privacy. Privacy of personal data (which gets obvious with meta data tracking) seems all that's left of a person's accepted privacy needs.
As Google stated latest in reference to the 1979 ruling: there is no privacy if you couldn't have expected privacy.
Google used this related to gmail.

Sent from mobile.

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY

I mentioned the latter as I know you trivialised it, but for some devices it's pretty essential, especially some tablets.

Yeah. I gave up on trying to even get the kernel side of the gamma patch merged in. It was on gerrit for over two months with not a single comment from the maintainer (and yes, they were added to review AND pinged on G+ about it at the beginning of the effort.)

However, as far as CTS compatibility - If we flagrantly violate CTS, then we risk Google taking measures to block our access to the Play Store for breaking apps.

Last edited:

Formhault

Jun 10, 2011
Bucharest
You mean like the moderators in the secret moderator forum, the developers in the hidden developer forum, and even the news writers in their secret news writers forum...all making decisions with little to no input from the every day users on XDA?

Come on man, I get that you're pissed off here, but at least make a point that doesn't make you sound so...hypocritical.

*You decide who gets banned and who doesn't in secret moderator forums where no average user has ever been. Why isn't anyone made privy to those discussions?

*The countless development discussions in the secret developer forums that none of us normal people have EVER been a part of. You get mad at CM for having private, hidden discussions...then you have a whole hidden forum for your devs to do the exact same thing.

*The XDA design decisions, rule decisions, etc are all done by like a maximum of 4-6 people.

If you're going to sit there and try to tell all these people that you, yourself, aren't having hidden discussions with other XDA devs in the hidden dev forum about this very incident (and probably another one in the secret moderator forum for that matter) without letting everyone in on it, then forgive me for saying so, but you're full of crap dude. You guys plot behind closed doors more than most governments. Not to mention all the horrible things I've seen you people say about the average user on XDA (and everywhere else for that matter).

I used to be behind those doors and the only thing I walked out of those doors feeling proud about was that I was the only person in any forum back there that put the 5.5 million people in these forums first and you guys didn't. Geez man, find another way to complain.

If I may... I don't think these two scenarios can be compared.

CM is supposed to be open. So, its maintainers / admins should be open about it. Right?
In this case, complaining on the matter that admins don't do things as they should, is okay.

XDA is a forum. It isn't supposed to be open (sourced?) or GPL or anything... Right? So... its admins have the right to discuss matters with regards to who gets banned and who doesn't, behind closed doors. Right?

Those are... two entirely different things.

(English did get a pretty good beating in this post, I know. I apologise)

Reactions: poontab

Formhault

Jun 10, 2011
Bucharest

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 494

crypta

However, as far as CTS compatibility - If we flagrantly violate CTS, then we risk Google taking measures to block our access to the Play Store for breaking apps.

I do understand the importance of appstores, especially Playstore, but isn't this an indication, that the playing field should be leveled?
If I remember right, Google announced it great and new and free OS to the dev world in the early days and got lots of attention... and help.
Now, as Android has round about 80%(!) market share, google improves it services, connects them and uses it like any normal corporation uses its products, e.g. sideloading is not adviced, virus warnings to get fear into the customer, to make him purchase only in play store... isn't this a time, where other services and possibilities should be researched?
As I bought a waste of apps in the store for personal use and or support, I now write mails every one to three days to devs, for solving my "licence problem".
It is not fair, but I didn't think about this hard enough in the past. Now I am bound to google or have to pay the toll.
I pay gladly the toll and there are still options left. I am not happy with using AndroidPit or Amazon either, but at least... it is a market.. an app at top of my os, which offers me payment modalities and an app catalog.
Thinking back, I love the ancient times, where I bought apps only direct from the devs... and later struggled with device changes, etc... :D... but I think, the additional 20% (lets take 10% for advertising) are worth the occasional support.

I don't want anybody to break things, I don't want CM to step out of the economy, but everyone should ask himself, what he is supporting.
And if CTS is such a problem.. and everything would be fine and happy happy wonderland without... why not to branches?
Any car manufacturer does this, sportcars and family vans ;).
And yes, I know it is additional work, and no, I don't know how much...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Alas, ladies and gents... The Cyanogenmod team have managed to surpass even themselves in misdirection and disorganisation. I honestly am surprised just how absurdly short-sighted they are. Seriously. In fact, I would like to suggest that anyone who feels strongly about this lets them know about it as loudly as they deem necessary.

There is one individual, Ricardo Cerqueira (aka arcee), who seems to have single-handedly decided to go and remove huge sets of features from CM. Particularly device specific ones, under the auspices of "tidying up the settings menu". Sure, by all means have a go, but don't REMOVE functionality in the process... If you must do it, do it a step at a time - remove the features from "Advanced" as they are created into the new menu.

By way of example, recent builds have removed the Advanced menu, offering you amongst other gems, the ability to change HSPA/HSDPA/HSUPA modes, as well as to disable the incredibly annoying button backlights on the soft keys on the note 2. Oh, and the ability to remove Samsung's garishly over-saturated colours of the AMOLED screen.

All this comes from the same individual who denied Mako (nexus 4) users many advanced options, because of his own personal dislike of the "Advanced" menu. While I cannot find any public acknowledgement of this, Nexus 4 users were denied many features and tweaks due to his maintainership of the device, and there are countless occurences where his own dislike has emerged in private, hidden discussions, that you are being kept from... Such as, for example,

him said:
    There's a difference between changing the devices, and putting DeviceParts in there. I hate the whole concept of DP, and will not deploy it into a device of mine; I am, however, willing to step down as mako's maintainer if that becomes a problem.

and

him said:
    It's no secret that I have a very strong dislike for our current concept of "device parts" apps

Want some more proof? He was told about all these features on our devices.

+Ricardo Cerqueira You should have a look at galaxys2-common/smdk4412-common DeviceParts. We have HSDPA settings, vibrator, mDNIE Mode/Scenario, touch sensitivity, audio dock, sensor calibration, and a few others.

And here's his reply:

him said:
    Heh. Almost all of those are a examples of why DeviceParts should die. Kitchen sink much? Touch sensititivy, really? Just because you can do something doesn't necessarily mean you should :p

This was met with another reply from another sensible developer, pointing out the need for these features.

I can vouch for touch sensitivity on Acer A700 though.
    1) Stock comes with it - being feature-complete
    2) The stock sensitivity setting sucks in some cases, I've added an kind-of-overclock "Very high" setting which helps, but we obviously don't want to ship with that as default.
    Galaxy S also has HSDPA setting which is known (or at least believed by users) to have substantial affect battery life. mDNIe because some users prefer screen post-processing on (stock Galaxy S) and some prefer them off (stock Nexus S).

Ask yourself - why were users not made aware of this discussion? Why were these changes decided by one man on his own personal crusade? Why was there no consultation carried out before his own personal dislike was imposed upon us all?

Alas though, these discussions take place in secret, behind closed doors, which you and I do not see, because we are not felt "worthy" to see what happens there. Have no fear though, for I shall expose each and every one of these things, including the upcoming commercialisation of CM.

Yes, that's right... You heard me right - CM are attempting to now licence all new contributions as dual GPL and commercial licence. Why? To allow them to go on and sell the rights to the open source code to third parties. And one of their own "leads" even tried to strong-arm a valued contributor into re-licencing his work. I had to step in there, and point out they actually had no right to do so, as the contributor agreement doesn't cover that eventuality. Nonetheless, his attitude was frankly horrendous, TELLING the contributor it would be relicensed, not asking permission. That's gone quiet for now though. The reason they want to be able to licence the code commercially? To allow them to sell YOUR contributions to a third party, such as an OEM or carrier, who wants the features, but doesn't want to follow the open source licence of a GPL component.

They're also selling out and going commercial - there's rumours around the internet, but a little bit of smart thinking will lead you to the answers.

Unfortunately, due to CM now trying to be as secretive as possible, you probably won't see any of this elsewhere. They are making every effort to be as closed as possible in their structure, and decision making processes. That means you, the user, are running code where the changes are arbitrarily decided with no input by yourself, beyond the "false" pretence of their gerrit instance.

There are significant contributions made to CM which bypass their gerrit code review (mainly upstream merges), but also other large pushes. There is also the "submit and +2" mentality from their leads, where their own contributions are beyond testing, and should be pushed immediately, often leading to breakages.

There is a lot more going on, and I will expose more and more of it. Please encourage your beloved CM people to have a look at this. Also, let them know that their "secrets" are not safe, since they are ridiculously easy to find on the internet. So if they try to stop me finding things out, I will simply share more and more with the world. Fair is fair, right? The less open CM are, the more open I will be. When you're running code on your device, you expect the developers to be open, upfront, and honest with you, right? Is that happening?

What does this all mean? Well, there won't be any new "upstream" builds for a while, until I resolve a few issues such as the major removal of important features, thus crippling CM from being usable. I need to figure out what to do, whether it's re-adding them, or rewriting the settings to work properly. It will be worth it in the long run though! Trust me on that ;) I might introduce some more #nicethings :)

Finally, if any of the CM leads wish to engage in a dialogue about this, feel free. You can do so, in public, here because the public trust you in running your code, so why not trust them in return? Or is this a trustless relationship? Perhaps your users should stop trusting you?

More to follow ;)
    It appears there is a new CM on the way... And it appeared it wasn't available for the Note 2... And that made me disappointed, so I set out to put that right.

4.3 is a small update from 4.2. Unfortunately, Google also decided to change almost everything about filesystem mounting. And Samsung exynos devices are a hotchpotch of everything...

Today, xplodwild and I carried out a war of attrition against the nasty Samsung devices. Firstly, there remains a battle-scar in the form of graphics, where we had to disable the ability of the device to screenshot itself. You'll see this in the lack of thumbnails for your long-press-home task switcher. #Blame-Samsung

Storage was a nightmare, but I have finally beaten it into submission. It should now work. Nicely. And properly. At least for now.

Because open source is wonderful, a VERY messy device tree (commits need squashed etc) - https://github.com/pulser/android_device_samsung_n7100/

I suggest a wipe before flashing, but I have tested from 4.2.2 and should be OK actually, maybe some apps will cry, but that's not my problem :)

Link: http://goo.im/devs/pulser/N7100/CM/cm-10.2-20130810-UNOFFICIAL-n7100.zip

Pretty much everything is working and tested - you shouldn't have any issues getting it to boot. The other version posted appears it may have issues booting, but I was not aware of its existence until just now. Actually, seems there's no link in the other thread, give this a shot, and see if it helps you. There's a lot of issues on Exynos devices when doing any kind of update... Sneeze and it might explode!

XDA:DevDB Information
    Unofficial CM 10.2 for Galaxy Note II (N7100), a ROM for the Samsung Galaxy Note II

Contributors
    pulser_g2, CM Team
    ROM OS Version: 4.3.x Jellybean
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.0.x
    Based On: CM 10.2

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: N/A
    Current Beta Version: 10 August
    Beta Release Date: 2013-08-10

Created 2013-07-30
    Last Updated 2013-08-10
    @pulser_g2

You know, I can't help but to think what would YOU or another moderator or XDA staff member say if this same exact post http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=44746084&postcount=548 was made by a junior member with less then 10 posts?

I'm sure I would see replies like....

Quit complaining you troll or If you don't like it, go make your own ROM or just straight up bashing.....OR maybe the entire post will just disappear and that member would get a warning/infraction....who knows!

With that said, I also can't help but to see the hypocrisy that's taking place here!

I've been on XDA for a while and I've seen similar posts like this made by several dozen members only to have them either removed or force that user to just say F it and remove it themselves because of the negative feedback that they got.

BUT....here we are and you, an Admin and RD made a post just like those that were removed in the past YET you got 60+ thanks and NOT one person has dared to tell you to quit complaining or go make your own ROM.

No sign of a moderator or a fellow Admin or NOTHING....

I mean, believe it or not...CyanogenMod doesn't report to XDA.

Is their ROM. If they want to remove everything and anything.....is their ROM! Simple as that!!

BUT here's where the real problem lies...By you saying "I would like to suggest that anyone who feels strongly about this lets them know about it as loudly as they deem necessary" that's no better then someone trying to start drama by saying "If you don't agree with something, let's rate their thread 1 star and let them know" or whatever

The way I'm seeing this and maybe others might of seen this but are afraid to say anything is that you're using your title and authority to get people to turn on CM, specifically Ricardo Cerqueira. That to me is BS! Especially since you're an Admin......you're suppose to know better!

NOW, I ask you.....isn't that the total definition of being a hypocrite? You doing something that your staff punishes others for doing?

How are you as an Admin suppose to issue infractions and come down on people for things that you yourself are doing?

Maybe this post will get deleted or HELL....maybe I'm the one that will received the negative feedback but I'm tired of seeing this happen on XDA time after time after time!

Is really just BS! You as an Admin, are able to speak out and actually start drama BUT if a junior member that NOBODY knows of was to do the same exact thing......he or she would get their ass torn up!

I honestly think that as an Admin you should NOT be trying to start drama and getting people to turn on CyanogenMod just because you're unhappy with a decision that is made or going to be made in THEIR ROM....an open source ROM.

Just my 2 cents....
    Those decisions were probably met because those are hacks, not features. CM grew from a slob of hacks to a mature project.

The trouble is, they're not hacks... Samsung includes MDNIE colour profiling in its own ROMs. Likewise they include a feature to disable the soft key lights or adjust the timeout (I personally hate them).

But the whole idea is that even Samsung gives you the choice of what you want - there's no need for one person to select what he feels is the best - a default is picked and others simply adjust that setting.

Personally, I intend to reintroduce this feature for colour calibration, but default to the most natural and accurate colour reproduction. Of course those who want the AMOLED colours can get them by picking an option. But colours viewed should be more life like, and accurately reproduced, out of the box.

The point is user choice - there is a big trend of CM towards the "apple way" - someone else makes your decisions for you, and you're stuck with them...

Is that why any of us are here on XDA?
    there are countless occurences where his own dislike has emerged in private, hidden discussions, that you are being kept from...
    Ask yourself - why were users not made aware of this discussion?

You mean like the moderators in the secret moderator forum, the developers in the hidden developer forum, and even the news writers in their secret news writers forum...all making decisions with little to no input from the every day users on XDA?

Come on man, I get that you're pissed off here, but at least make a point that doesn't make you sound so...hypocritical.

*You decide who gets banned and who doesn't in secret moderator forums where no average user has ever been. Why isn't anyone made privy to those discussions?

*The countless development discussions in the secret developer forums that none of us normal people have EVER been a part of. You get mad at CM for having private, hidden discussions...then you have a whole hidden forum for your devs to do the exact same thing.

*The XDA design decisions, rule decisions, etc are all done by like a maximum of 4-6 people.

If you're going to sit there and try to tell all these people that you, yourself, aren't having hidden discussions with other XDA devs in the hidden dev forum about this very incident (and probably another one in the secret moderator forum for that matter) without letting everyone in on it, then forgive me for saying so, but you're full of crap dude. You guys plot behind closed doors more than most governments. Not to mention all the horrible things I've seen you people say about the average user on XDA (and everywhere else for that matter).

I used to be behind those doors and the only thing I walked out of those doors feeling proud about was that I was the only person in any forum back there that put the 5.5 million people in these forums first and you guys didn't. Geez man, find another way to complain.