FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Wireless Charger Module, S4 or S4 active

3,336 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,256

By joshuadjohnson22, Senior Member on 27th July 2013, 03:13 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Just thought I would share a cheap accessory I found. This is a wireless charging module for a QI charging base. In the past I have bought alternative modules (this one) and they never seemed to work right. I would spend a lot of time moving my phone around trying to get the charge working(my wife always got so annoyed)... but this one does the trick.

I have a S4 Active and it works flawlessly, you may lose the water seal but it is worth it in my opinion. I picked it up at Tmart (here)... these guys have always taken care of me(fast shipping and so on).

Here are some pictures of how it looks, I also bought the gold battery works great and has great battery life(a little less than the OEM):

If you have never seen how this works... basically just insert the module, put the back of the phone back on and toss it on the charger. Hope this helps!

27th July 2013, 05:53 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 33

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuadjohnson22

...I have a S4 Active and it works flawlessly, you may lose the water seal but it is worth it in my opinion....

...I also bought the "gold" battery works great and has great battery life(a little less than the OEM)...

I don't get it.

Why bother with S4 Active (instead of regular S4) if you don't care about water seal???

What is the purpose of switching from original high quality Samsung battery for "gold" one with smaller capacity??? Does it have some other Austin Powers or Goldmember magic powers? Was it desperate move to get rid off NFC from your phone (you know, PRISM is watching us)?
The Following User Says Thank You to Diamond 2 owner For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Diamond 2 owner Ad-Free
27th July 2013, 12:23 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Atlanta

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond 2 owner

I don't get it.

Why bother with S4 Active (instead of regular S4) if you don't care about water seal???

What is the purpose of switching from original high quality Samsung battery for "gold" one with smaller capacity??? Does it have some other Austin Powers or Goldmember magic powers? Was it desperate move to get rid off NFC from your phone (you know, PRISM is watching us)?

I had the s4 and the active is much better, the LCD kills the amoled I'm and that was the selling point. Water resistance is still nice and I think if I was to drop it in water it would hold up a little better than the s4. I use the second battery as a back up so I can go multiple days without a charge. I don't use NFC much so no problem there. But thanks for your concern .

Oh almost forgot... the Active doesn't scratch or break as easy, it is a lot easier to see outside(screen)... it is what the S4 should have been... I like the hardware buttons because I don't accidently press the back button when playing games... The brush metal on the glass looks better than bubbles... It has a better build quality... Plus almost all the features of the regular S4....
28th July 2013, 11:42 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 6

Donate to Me
More
How does the charging module perform through a thick(3mm) case?
The Following User Says Thank You to qwerp For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift qwerp Ad-Free
28th July 2013, 06:43 PM |#5  
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 20

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerp

I'm also curious to know this, I wanted to buy one but I don't want to take my phone out of its case each time to let it charge
28th July 2013, 07:00 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 33

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuadjohnson22

I had the s4 and the active is much better, the LCD kills the amoled I'm and that was the selling point. Water resistance is still nice and I think if I was to drop it in water it would hold up a little better than the s4. I use the second battery as a back up so I can go multiple days without a charge. I don't use NFC much so no problem there. But thanks for your concern .

Oh almost forgot... the Active doesn't scratch or break as easy, it is a lot easier to see outside(screen)... it is what the S4 should have been... I like the hardware buttons because I don't accidently press the back button when playing games... The brush metal on the glass looks better than bubbles... It has a better build quality... Plus almost all the features of the regular S4....

Yes, now it seems quite reasonable.

I personally prefer SAMOLED over LCD, so I think it is great move of Samsung, that they differentiated Galaxy line so much, that everybody could much features and specifications set to their preferences/usage/needs.

Keep in mind, that S4 Active uses Gorilla Glass 2, while regular S4 have latest version - Gorilla Glass 3 (it is 40% more scratch resistant and 50% stronger by manufacturer's specs).

btw. gsmarena rated battery endurance factor (measures battery lifetime for average usage model) for regular S4 S600 for 69h. For S4 Active they measured 57h. It is half day difference. That was for stock batteries in both phones. If you switch S4 Active stock battery with non-genuine battery ("gold" or other questionable zerolemon etc.) this difference will be even more than half day. Probably close to one day. This is huge difference in real life experience.
28th July 2013, 08:06 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Atlanta

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond 2 owner

Yes, now it seems quite reasonable.

I personally prefer SAMOLED over LCD, so I think it is great move of Samsung, that they differentiated Galaxy line so much, that everybody could much features and specifications set to their preferences/usage/needs.

Keep in mind, that S4 Active uses Gorilla Glass 2, while regular S4 have latest version - Gorilla Glass 3 (it is 40% more scratch resistant and 50% stronger by manufacturer's specs).

btw. gsmarena rated battery endurance factor (measures battery lifetime for average usage model) for regular S4 S600 for 69h. For S4 Active they measured 57h. It is half day difference. That was for stock batteries in both phones. If you switch S4 Active stock battery with non-genuine battery ("gold" or other questionable zerolemon etc.) this difference will be even more than half day. Probably close to one day. This is huge difference in real life experience.

Well on the s4 I have used I got scratches on the plastic easily, the active has taken everything I have thrown at it and not even a tiny scratch has surfaced. The glass is less but it is also cheaper to replaced... The lcd and digitizer is only 100 bucks which is half the cost of the s4's equivalent part. The battery life between the s4 I have and the active seem the same and I can get easily 24 hours on a charge with about 2 to 3 hours of screen time. The gold battery is perfect for what I use it for and I am well pleased. The LCD looks much better than the amoled, I had to return it because of the cartoonish looks and ugly whites personally it was a turn off. If they would just get rid of their pentile pixel layout the screen would be amazing.

Basically you have 2 types of people, some love over saturated screen and some like natural. Samsung has got both camps covered with both of these phones. For me the active is the phone I have been waiting for from Samsung. The regular s4 is awesome and I wish they had a version with lcd but the only choice I have is this beautiful active.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
28th July 2013, 08:07 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Atlanta

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garen21

I'm also curious to know this, I wanted to buy one but I don't want to take my phone out of its case each time to let it charge

It works great through my case which is this

The other modules did not

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joshuadjohnson22 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift joshuadjohnson22 Ad-Free
21st August 2013, 02:16 AM |#9  
Active S4 Active wireless receiver up in Ebay today
ebay item number 181200237784 Ive sent him a message saying it wouldnt fit he replyied the following: I've had both in my hand and it fits I wouldn't put something up if it wasn't for what they say it was.
Just a heads up only 2 units left
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)