Thanks Meter: 0

By TobiH8, Guest on 10th August 2013, 11:20 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
22nd August 2013, 09:04 PM |#31  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by To98

You can update it as often as you want. Everytime a new package is published you can install it asap. You don't have to wait until the new daily build comes out. It's just like desktop Ubuntu.
I flash the daily build every Sunday via my PC to my devices to have the newest recovery, kernel etc. and fix some problems (e. g. double wifi indicator).

How do I change the keyboard and choose the Arabic language
How do I change the language of the device to the Arab
Knowing found in settings

22nd August 2013, 10:08 PM |#32  
Thanks Meter: 618

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by emtt_medo

Taken from the Official Ubuntu Touch Release Notes

Code:
Language and keyboard
A Settings UI for selecting the language and keyboard/input method is currently in the works. In the meantime, the settings can be changed from the command line.

KEYBOARD
These instructions require you to be using a saucy version of Ubuntu Touch. If you are on raring, please upgrade to the latest Ubuntu Touch for saucy with phablet-flash.

Access your device through SSH or start the Terminal app on your device

mkdir /home/phablet/.config/maliit.org && cp /etc/xdg/maliit.org/server.conf /home/phablet/.config/maliit.org/server.conf

vi /home/phablet/.config/maliit.org/server.conf and change two things in the server.conf file. In this example we'll be changing the keyboard layout to German.

Change onscreen\active to point at your desired keyboard language (e.g. change en_us to de for German). Note, not all langs are supported. Do dpkg -L maliit-keyboard-data | grep languages to see which languages have corresponding .xml files.

Change onscreen\enabled and add an entry for your desired language such that it gets enabled. For example add a libmaliit-keyboard-plugin.so:de if you want to enable German. The resultant file should look like this:

[maliit]
onscreen\active=libmaliit-keyboard-plugin.so:de

pluginsettings\libmaliit-keyboard-plugin.so\current_style               = ubuntu
pluginsettings\libmaliit-keyboard-plugin.so\word_engine_enabled         = false

onscreen\enabled=libmaliit-keyboard-plugin.so:en_gb, \
libmaliit-keyboard-plugin.so:en_us, \
libmaliit-keyboard-plugin.so:de, \
libmaliit-keyboard-plugin.so:es, \
libmaliit-keyboard-plugin.so:zh_cn_cangjie, \
libmaliit-keyboard-plugin.so:zh_cn_pinyin, \
libmaliit-keyboard-plugin.so:zh_cn_zhuyin,
Restart the phone
LANGUAGE
To set your system language to display localized strings (where available) in applications, do the following. In the example we'll be changing the language to Simplified Chinese (language code zh_CN). For any other language, replace the zh_CN by your language's ISO 639 code. E.g. ca for Catalan, pt_BR for Brazilian Portuguese, etc. 

Access your device through SSH or start the Terminal app on your device

Then on the terminal connected to your device run:
sudo apt-get install fonts-droid # Required only if your language requires additional fonts
sudo locale-gen zh_CN
sudo vi /etc/default/locale # Then change LANG="en_US.UTF-8" to LANG="zh_CN.UTF-8"
sudo vi /etc/environment # Then change LANG="zh_CN.UTF-8" and LANGUAGE="zh_CN"
reboot
Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to blmvxer For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift blmvxer Ad-Free
TobiH8
23rd August 2013, 07:27 AM |#33  

More
Quote:

As blmvxer said this is already written down in the release notes so I won't write this down.
23rd August 2013, 11:44 AM |#34  

More
Quote:

As blmvxer said this is already written down in the release notes so I won't write this down.

I tried to change codes but did not work
Will support Arabic
TobiH8
23rd August 2013, 12:22 PM |#35  

More
Quote:

I tried to change codes but did not work
Will support Arabic

Where is the problem? To change the language you have to run:
Quote:

sudo apt-get install fonts-droid # Required only if your language requires additional fonts
sudo locale-gen zh_CN
sudo vi /etc/default/locale # Then change LANG="en_US.UTF-8" to LANG="zh_CN.UTF-8"
sudo vi /etc/environment # Then change LANG="zh_CN.UTF-8" and LANGUAGE="zh_CN"
reboot

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/ReleaseNotes

Do you get any errors?
TobiH8
24th August 2013, 07:16 AM |#36  

More
Warning!
Don't update to the latest version of Ubuntu Touch if you've added discard to your /etc/fstab. For me it won't boot up if I add this. Wihtout discard everything works fine.
6th September 2013, 10:46 AM |#37  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:

I want to explain you how to do simple UI changes (installing apps...) in Ubuntu Touch and do some other things under the hood.
First: Check out the Release notes. A lot of tweaking is explained there (changing language or keyboard layout).

I want to start with changing the system time zone:
Connect your device via SSH to your computer (explained in the release notes).
The type into a terminal:

root password is phablet

1. Change the system time zone
2. How to change the wallpaper.
3. How to update Ubuntu Touch without a PC
4. Create a simple web app
5. Installing Core Apps

If you see this smiley: You should type in the Terminal this: : p without the space.

thank you so much, you are real life saver
The Following User Says Thank You to paupav For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift paupav Ad-Free
TobiH8
8th September 2013, 12:48 PM |#38  

More
I should write down that you are now able to receive updates without the terminal.
Just type
Quote:

phablet-flash ubuntu-system

into the terminal on your Ubuntu PC and receive updates via the settings app.
Important: You won't be able to tweak you system because the system partition is mounted as read-only.

If you want to tweak your system you should type
Quote:

phablet-flash cdimage-touch -b

for a fresh install.
TobiH8
8th September 2013, 12:56 PM |#39  

More
How can I install the new display server Mir?

I have tested it on my devices and can confirm that the installation works. If you want to try it yourself SSH into your device and type the following:
Quote:

sudo apt-get install software-properties-common -y --force-yes && echo "Hit ENTER" && sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mir-team/staging && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install mir-demos -y --force-yes && sudo apt-get autoremove -y --force-yes && sudo apt-get autoclean && sudo reboot

Note: Your system can break easier with the Mir demos because the new display server is still in an alpha state!

On my Galaxy Nexus it doesn't work yet and I only see a black screen so be careful and make a backup before trying this!

Source
11th September 2013, 09:35 AM |#40  
Flag willebroek
Thanks Meter: 113

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure tzdata

is not working after using

Quote:

phablet-flash ubuntu-system

because of the read only sytem

changing time in setting menu is also not working

Quote:

apt-get install

is also not working because the read only
TobiH8
11th September 2013, 05:42 PM |#41  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by davjan

...because of the read only sytem

That's the "feature" of the ubuntu-system image. We'll have the choice between read only (default) and read and writeable builds (custom roms etc.). But I'm sure you've read this already...

Quote:

changing time in setting menu is also not working

Because it's note ready or should it be ready??

Quote:

"apt-get install" is also not working because the read only

True, you'll have the click packages (there are few already available as you can see in your applications lens). Flash back to the writeable build to install custom software (I'm using those builds because I want the full control over my system ).

EDIT: I've got a question to someone who's running the current ubuntu-system builds: How do they perform and could you try to inject a modified fstab to get them writeable? Maybe we can get updates and have them writeable. Oh and could someone share the /etc/apt/sources.list? I don't want to delete all my data just to try those things because my UT is working so good.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)