FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

A Warning to ALL GALAXY S4 ACTIVE USERS!!!!

84 posts
Thanks Meter: 95

Post Reply Email Thread
nerdfacenyan
21st August 2013, 07:19 AM |#81  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Radio Shack employee here and I use my personal Active as a water demo daily and ive yet to have an issue. Seems to be a YMMV sort of deal. Ive received no formal training either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using xda app-developers app
21st August 2013, 12:36 PM |#82  
Thanks Meter: 130

More
There's a lot of misinformation flying around about this device. People keep saying is not designed to be water proof which is absurd. It is most definitely designed to be water proof. It is also marketed to be water proof. Anyone who says otherwise needs to take a close look at the ip67 standard.

Think about when waterproof watches first came out. Half of them leaked. Now they are everywhere and never leak. Things will get better with time. Part of being on the cutting edge of technology is more inconsistency. I can't say I'm happy with Samsung choice to only replace the device once for failing to do what is designed to do, but I can't say I'm surprised either. This is exactly why I purchased the device where I could get insurance that covers water damage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
21st August 2013, 05:13 PM |#83  
Thanks Meter: 33

More
Standards aside, all AT&T and Samsung are going to tell you is that it is resistant to water intrusion up to a specific depth for a finite period of time. The good folks at AT&T reminded me that there are cases available which can emulate this same "feature" if I decided to get them to continue using the Active in the very conditions it is rated to handle sans a case.

There is always some technicality companies can use to wiggle their way out of a warranty, but the proof is in the fogged camera lenses and moisture triggered indicators on the batteries and phones of Active owners. We may never get an actual percentage of failures in the field from AT&T or Samsung, but the mere fact AT&T made a PR move of granting a water damage replacement (one-time) because of issues means that there is an issue and reason enough to make an exception to their general warranty / exchange policy. Companies don't do that just out of the goodness of their own heart.
The Following User Says Thank You to wamsille For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift wamsille Ad-Free
22nd August 2013, 07:42 AM |#84  
Flag L'Assomption

More
thanks a lot man !
22nd August 2013, 10:34 AM |#85  
London, UK
Thanks Meter: 81

More
In the UK these will just get bounced back to the seller under the "fit for purpose" legislation.

A judge would pee him/her self laughing if Sammie claimed it wasn't waterproofed while claiming IP67 and having marketing ads showing it taking underwater photo's.....ohhh the fun we have in court some days!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pinsb For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift pinsb Ad-Free
23rd August 2013, 03:42 PM |#86  
Flag Split
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Hello,

here are my two cents...

I'm Samsung Mobiler so I have this device for some time and because I got it by DHL I haven't had any proper Samsung training for this device. I was on guard and I was securing USB and battery cover two times before going into water.

It was in sea water, river, under waterhose.... It was even 2m underwater, I was swimming for more than hour and even played picigin with friends. It went through that really well.

Because of this thread I was aware of issues and I would check it after every water experience and USB cover was working really really well (not even a sprinkle) and battery cover was thight while keeping water away. Water was there but not even close to rubber protection.

While filming I'm not using Aqua mode. No AF is a minus for that mode and I somehow managed to keep away from water drop zooming.

Here is some video footage, there are even some cool fishes around

The Following User Says Thank You to Mitsuoka123 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Mitsuoka123 Ad-Free
24th August 2013, 03:06 AM |#87  
Thanks Meter: 31

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamsille

The only guarantees in life are death and taxes.

no tax for citizens of saudi and brunei

death is guarantee though
26th August 2013, 04:11 PM |#88  
Thanks Meter: 33

More
OK, taxes vary by geographical region. Death is certain, as is water damage on the S4 Active when used underwater regardless of the precautions taken.
6th September 2013, 12:52 PM |#89  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
A good informative and best ideas get to this post. Nice sharing buddy.
10th November 2013, 02:21 AM |#90  

More
Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by daledenton

This phone is not truly waterproof/resistant!!!!!

First off I want to start this off buy saying a few things. I work for AT&T so before anyone says its from improper usage remember I had to watch training videos on how to properly use it. Also, before anyone says well, you aren't really supposed to be using it in the water, you are wrong. The first thing we are trained on is how to properly close the back cover and how to show the customers Aqua mode to take pictures underwater. We actively use this as a main selling point, this is per Samsung.

Here is my story. I bought the Active on Thursday. The first thing I did with it was ensure the back was closed and made a video in my fish tank so I could show customers how it works underwater, and how good aqua mode is. That worked out perfectly except the video was a little dark, so I figured I would retake it.

In this time I had a customer swap out the phone they bought because it were defective, the bottom buttons stopped working on it. She was very vague when the water question came up but I thought nothing of it.

Now cue today. It was sunny outside so I thought it was the perfect time to reshoot the fish tank video. I ensured the back was secure, yes, including pressing down on the back where the AT&T logo is. I then submerged the phone in the tank while taking the video. Almost instantly the phone screen went black and said dock mode was enabled so I took the phone out of the water and everything went back to normal. I double checked the USB rubber to be sure. I just chalked it up to the phone doing crazy things in the water. I have read almost everywhere that the phone will say headphones are plugged in, etc. So I thought this was normal. I then put it back in and took a minute long video. Everything was fine. I even played back the video and it was fully working.

This is where everything went wrong. About 2 minutes later the phone started tweaking out, Google now opened on its own and the buttons were really sensitive. Then the buttons completely stopped working other than the power button and that's when I freaked out. I opened the battery cover and there it was, everything was soaked. but luckily none of the water damage indicators were colored. I then opened the USB door and it was like a fountain, so that's where the breach happened. The flimsy, rubber USB door. I did not tell a soul what happened and went back to work and swapped it for a regular Galaxy S4.

So please listen to my warning. There are way too many people getting this phone damaged, including me, a fully trained AT&T employee who took the proper precautions before doing anything.

Samsung should not be able to get away with calling this phone water resistant or water proof, and they should especially not include an Aqua Camera mode.

Also the warranty DOES NOT, I REPEAT, DOES NOT COVER WATER!!!!

Hi. Just got AT&T to do a warranty on my s3 would not recognize sd card. They gave me the S4 active and your right I would not trust the flimsy rubber seals either. I got an Otter Box Defender case just to make sure I don't mess it up. It has a plug to cover the head phone jack which the phone should of been built with but nothing for the micro usb port.
At least the gave me the phone and I also was allowed to keep the S3. I m debating on playing with designing new applications that will make the phone easier to use with less drain on the battery and won't slow the phone down.

---------- Post added at 01:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:15 AM ----------

Hi. Just got AT&T to do a warranty on my s3 would not recognize sd card. They gave me the S4 active and your right I would not trust the flimsy rubber seals either. I got an Otter Box Defender case just to make sure I don't mess it up. It has a plug to cover the head phone jack which the phone should of been built with but nothing for the micro usb port.
At least the gave me the phone and I also was allowed to keep the S3. I m debating on playing with designing new applications that will make the phone easier to use with less drain on the battery and won't slow the phone down.
10th November 2013, 11:56 PM |#91  
Flag Kalletal
Thanks Meter: 791

More
First when I read OP I got nervous but after reading 10 pages, I am happy with my active, again.
It's been sold to me as a 100% waterproof mobile, but hey, it takes two sites, one who is pretending and one who wants to believe.
Now, I hope to make it trough the next 23 months of my contract without trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamsille

The only guarantees in life are death and taxes.

'nuff said.

Sent from my GT-I9295 using xda app-developers app
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)