[LOKI] Bootloader hack official FAQ thread

Search This thread

CPA Poke

Oct 23, 2012
Tulsa, OK
I think this belongs here. It seems as if this entire discussion may start very soon again for those going to purchase the AT&T S4 in the future, so maybe this is a good way to kick it off.

http://rootzwiki.com/news/_/article...oki-bootloader-script-for-its-galaxy-s4-r1994

You're aware that it's a two month old article?

You're aware that the post you quoted was, in fact, also two months old?

Reactions: alacrify

mdanish4

Apr 9, 2009
Miami, Florida USA
HELP!!!

Hi, I bought this AT&T S4 and it has MF3, I rooted the phone.. but when i am trying to do the loki patch for custom recovery via terminal emulator i am getting this message " LOKI ABOOT VERSION DOES NOT MATCH DEVICE".. any one can help me on this???

Mike

Jun 20, 2012
Hi, I bought this AT&T S4 and it has MF3, I rooted the phone.. but when i am trying to do the loki patch for custom recovery via terminal emulator i am getting this message " LOKI ABOOT VERSION DOES NOT MATCH DEVICE".. any one can help me on this???

Can't do it to MF3. They patched it. Your out of luck currently. Can only root it atm. No custom recovery / custom roms

Sent from my AT&T Galaxy S4 I337

Mike

Jun 20, 2012
Damn... don't tell me that man.......

It's a harsh reality I know. All we can do is hope Adam and others will continue pushing to find a new work around.

For now, you could root and install the Xposed Framework along with the module for the S4 found in our dev section. As much as I don't like TW, the module made it bearable and even enjoyed the experience. The mods available within the module have only expanded since I used it waiting for the original Loki work around. You can expect a good user experience.

Between the Xposed module, Adaway and TiBu you should be able to hold out. It's not ideal, but it's certainly not bad.

Last edited:

PeartFan40

Jun 15, 2007
South Hadley, Ma. USA
ok I am about to just get twrp from goo manager I jsut wanted to make sure before i did ...lol dont wanna brick my phone like noob I rather get flamed on the forum and know for sure if this is a good isea or not

If you're on mf3 amd you flash twrp using terminal emulator, you're going to bork the stock recovery and begin a download mode loop. Albeit that is fixable, you wont be able to reset your phone to stock, with a corrupted stock recovery.

This is the Galaxy S4, usng XDA Premium

tkienzle

Feb 9, 2008
It's a harsh reality I know. All we can do is hope Adam and others will continue pushing to find a new work around.

For now, you could root and install the Xposed Framework along with the module for the S4 found in our dev section. As much as I don't like TW, the module made it bearable and even enjoyed the experience. The mods available within the module have only expanded since I used it waiting for the original Loki work around. You can expect a good user experience.

Between the Xposed module, Adaway and TiBu you should be able to hold out. It's not ideal, but it's certainly not bad.

If you don't like TW then install nova or another launcher of some sort that is what I did ;)

Yea stuff...

Reactions: Apollo Eldon

Mike

Jun 20, 2012
If you don't like TW then install nova or another launcher of some sort that is what I did ;)

Yea stuff...

I'm on Slim Bean 4.3. I realize my post was confusing in that it may have seemed as if I was in the same boat with mf3 as the person I quoted.

inyourface09

Aug 9, 2012
Texas
Looking for assistance.

I noticed that support has been added for the LG Optimus F7, I recently purchased the F3 and have tried every attempt possible to unlock the bootloader. This phone was released in may and I was hoping to add my own support to LOKI even though it may not work. I have no idea how to find the needed addresses and convert them. This phone is across 4 separate carriers and I know people are dying to get some custom sw. Any links or guidance would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Thank you Dan for all your hard work! If i get this to work on my phone I will definitely be sending a donation.

jpeps

Dec 20, 2010
Please i527 is locked who do unlock it ???

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using xda premium

mg2195

Dec 5, 2011
RSM
Please i527 is locked who do unlock it ???

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using xda premium

Seeing how this is the galaxy s4 forum for the att/Canadian variants (i337/i337m)...I don't think your gonna get the answer you want, try asking in your devices forum :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4

mkinney88

Aug 10, 2010
Rochester Hills
I just released Loki, a set of tools for developers and users to flash custom kernels and recoveries on the AT&T and Verizon branded Samsung Galaxy S4.

The tool is available at:
https://github.com/djrbliss/loki

The technical details on how the exploit works are described at:
http://blog.azimuthsecurity.com/2013/05/exploiting-samsung-galaxy-s4-secure-boot.html

This is a support thread that I will check regularly until I decide to hand over support to the community. Feel free to ask any questions, and I may add the answers to this post. As a guideline, if it's a question that's already been answered in this thread or in the README for Loki, I will ignore it.

Does this make any permanent changes to the device?

No permanent changes are made to your device when using loki_flash. The bootloader itself is untouched. By restoring the original system, boot, and recovery images (via Odin or otherwise), the device will be in a stock state.

Can this be patched?

Absolutely. Any update that includes a new aboot will almost definitely cause your custom kernel or recovery to fail to boot without running it through loki_patch again, and if the update contains a fix for the vulnerability Loki exploits, it may permanently prevent using the tool. It's possible for Samsung to ship an update that prevents downgrading aboot to a vulnerable version, so I recommend avoiding installing any OTA updates without confirmation that it's safe.

What about the bounty?

As usual, I encourage anyone looking to donate (as part of the bounty or otherwise) to give their money to a reputable charity organization instead. If you insist on donating to me, I'm sure you can find my Paypal account somehow. ;)

This all seems complicated. What about a step-by-step guide?

These tools are primarily intended for developers, who will be able to use them and provide ordinary users with easy ways to flash custom ROMs. Be patient, I'm sure your favorite ROM developer will come up with something for you.

I've installed a Loki-patched recovery. Can I just install regular custom ROMs now?

Any ROMs that include a replacement boot.img must be modified to include a Loki-patched boot.lok file instead. Otherwise, your phone will fail to boot until you restore a Samsung-signed boot.img or a custom boot.lok image via your custom recovery, or flash a stock image via Odin.

So this is just like kexec?

This is similar to kexec in that it works around a locked bootloader, but this approach is much more flexible and robust. Kernel and recovery developers can build their projects just as they would for an unlocked device, run the final result through Loki, and then it's ready to be flashed. No hackery and brokenness required.

would you be able to port this exploit to the moto x ? I thought samsung was using a version of the motorola bootloader?

kuma82

Jan 19, 2012
Houston
would you be able to port this exploit to the moto x ? I thought samsung was using a version of the motorola bootloader?

Quoting the entire OP is frowned upon in this establishment ;)
Please play nice and edit your post.

Dear @djrbliss (Dan), thanks for always giving what the people want, freedom :beer:
My fellow Optimum L9 users are seeking freedom from our selfish carriers, and your Loki exploit, might be the answer to our prayers. Our bootloader resides in a u-boot, we will like to create a thread in our forum, to try and port your Loki exploit with your grace of course.
Oh and if you can share any info you may have on a u-boot.
Lol, sorry for brown noising

Sent from my LGMS769 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: -lu- and eak1080

ballaz

Nov 14, 2009
Hope i did not miss the answer to my question. I am about to purchase a stock att gs4 from craigslist. how do i check if loki will work onit before purchasing? Thanks in advance. PS i know it will not work on mf3 aboot but how does one check for that?

mspayde

Dec 1, 2010
Lansing, MI
Root checker by free android tools on the market...you can check build and bootloader.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4

mikecantreed

Nov 10, 2012
Hope i did not miss the answer to my question. I am about to purchase a stock att gs4 from craigslist. how do i check if loki will work onit before purchasing? Thanks in advance. PS i know it will not work on mf3 aboot but how does one check for that?

I'm assuming you mean motochopper? Unless you're building your own ROMs you wouldn't give a **** about LOKI (most ROMs in this forum are auto-lokied). And to answer your question go into Settings-More-About Phone and check the baseband version. If it ends in MDL then you can use motochopper, if it ends in MF3 then you'll have to use Hashcode's safestrap.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just released Loki, a set of tools for developers and users to flash custom kernels and recoveries on the AT&T and Verizon branded Samsung Galaxy S4.

The tool is available at:
    https://github.com/djrbliss/loki

The technical details on how the exploit works are described at:
    http://blog.azimuthsecurity.com/2013/05/exploiting-samsung-galaxy-s4-secure-boot.html

This is a support thread that I will check regularly until I decide to hand over support to the community. Feel free to ask any questions, and I may add the answers to this post. As a guideline, if it's a question that's already been answered in this thread or in the README for Loki, I will ignore it.

Does this make any permanent changes to the device?

No permanent changes are made to your device when using loki_flash. The bootloader itself is untouched. By restoring the original system, boot, and recovery images (via Odin or otherwise), the device will be in a stock state.

Can this be patched?

Absolutely. Any update that includes a new aboot will almost definitely cause your custom kernel or recovery to fail to boot without running it through loki_patch again, and if the update contains a fix for the vulnerability Loki exploits, it may permanently prevent using the tool. It's possible for Samsung to ship an update that prevents downgrading aboot to a vulnerable version, so I recommend avoiding installing any OTA updates without confirmation that it's safe.

What about the bounty?

As usual, I encourage anyone looking to donate (as part of the bounty or otherwise) to give their money to a reputable charity organization instead. If you insist on donating to me, I'm sure you can find my Paypal account somehow. ;)

This all seems complicated. What about a step-by-step guide?

These tools are primarily intended for developers, who will be able to use them and provide ordinary users with easy ways to flash custom ROMs. Be patient, I'm sure your favorite ROM developer will come up with something for you.

I've installed a Loki-patched recovery. Can I just install regular custom ROMs now?

Any ROMs that include a replacement boot.img must be modified to include a Loki-patched boot.lok file instead. Otherwise, your phone will fail to boot until you restore a Samsung-signed boot.img or a custom boot.lok image via your custom recovery, or flash a stock image via Odin.

So this is just like kexec?

This is similar to kexec in that it works around a locked bootloader, but this approach is much more flexible and robust. Kernel and recovery developers can build their projects just as they would for an unlocked device, run the final result through Loki, and then it's ready to be flashed. No hackery and brokenness required.
    Thank you very much!!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
    Question... what is the benefit to using this method versus an actual unlock? Im honestly just trying to learn and understand.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

The biggest benefit is that this actually exists, and the other doesn't.

Also, there are some perks to not permanently modifying the hardware, such as not setting off any irreversible "warranty voided" flags. Note: I do not encourage warranty fraud in any way.
    Thats good to know!

Will Nandroids and such be able to flash? Does the backups use loki also when created?

You'll definitely be able to flash a Nandroid backup for everything except for the recovery and boot partitions. As for recovery and boot, I suspect that would work fine (assuming the aboot hasn't changed), but I don't know for sure, so I don't encourage you to try it unless you really know what you're doing.
    Hey Dan, I remember a few weeks ago you had posted a photo of AT&T Galaxy S4 on your twitter that had a cracked code listed on the device. Was this the same Loki method or you were able to actually hack into the bootloader?

I'm not sure what you mean by "actually hack into the bootloader". Loki allows me to execute code in the context of the bootloader, which is pretty much the definition of "hacking" it. For the picture, rather than booting a custom kernel or recovery, I had my code cause the bootloader to print that teaser message. So yes, it was the same method, just a different payload.