By mikereidis, Inactive Recognized Developer on 1st May 2011, 09:23 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
25th August 2013, 12:34 AM |#6701  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Ottawa/Gatineau, Canada
Thanks Meter: 4,164

Donate to Me
More
An incompatible change is happening to the Broadcom OEM FM API for (mostly) un-rooted devices.

The HTC One stock Android 4.3 leak (via MaximusHD 12.1 ROM) shows this problem. Rooted and with Bluetooth off is still OK though.

EDIT: It looks like this may be mostly "cosmetic changes", mostly just changing the names of classes. Will require a Spirit update at minimum though.

EDIT2: No, it's more than cosmetic changes. Many methods and callbacks are the same, or similar, but some of the parameter lists have changed. I'd call this part of the ongoing evolution of the Broadcom OEM FM API; there is already code in Spirit which handles some of these differences on HTC and LG devices.

As I've long said, if Spirit didn't update for 3 months, I think it would be broken on maybe 50% of devices, though mostly on custom ROMs, and this is a stock ROM issue. Seems similar to "bit rot", but due to rapid changes in system software, instead of storage media decay.

Damn, I think it's time to retire from this crazy catch up game, or at least move on to Spirit2 and concentrate on a smaller number of devices. LOL.

And the Emmis/Sprint NextRadio app still works; it just sends some command Intents to the HTC FM service.
The Following User Says Thank You to mikereidis For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mikereidis Ad-Free

25th August 2013, 02:33 AM |#6702  
Flag McMinnville, TN
Thanks Meter: 24

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereidis

Follow this thread for the latest news about Verizon HTC One: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2417047&page=2

It's not looking good now, but I need to get a 2nd debug log with FM API = Low Level before I can say any more.

Done. Let's work that Mike Reid FMagic!

Sent from my (Verizon) Samsung Galaxy S4 using the XDA app!
26th August 2013, 07:08 PM |#6703  
Flag McMinnville, TN

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereidis

"Spying" on FM radio usage stats.

I used the word "Spying" to get your attention and opinions.

I've been considering adding "opt-in" and anonymized sending of usage stats to Spirit.

"Opt-in" means it would be off by default, and you would have to enable it before any data is sent.

At this time, I'd only consider basic info such as rough city level geographic info, frequency, and length of time listened.

The reason: money. I'm doing "OK" now and making "just enough to get by" but I can make at least 3-4 times as much in the corporate world, and my retirement fund is pitiful for the time I SHOULD have remaining.

Arbitron in the US sells radio and TV usage info. They, or their current or potential competitors, would love to buy smartphone data about radio usage. I've been approached a few times about business ideas related to this.

So, if it's completly opt-in, honestly anonymized by Google or other trusted back end service, and limited to rough area, frequency and time, would you consider enabling it ? Perhaps it could provide useful feature to users, such as station data, website etc. when enabled.

Perhaps a better free version of Spirit could have no option to disable. Nobody is forcing anyone to run any app of course.

I'm happy to hear any thoughts.

Once I get a phone that supports Spirit again (Verizon HTC One or Droid 3). I would be willing to OPT-IN!
26th August 2013, 07:51 PM |#6704  
Flag Vitoria
Thanks Meter: 291

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmguy

Once I get a phone that supports Spirit again (Verizon HTC One or Droid 3). I would be willing to OPT-IN!

Opt-In!!!

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 4
27th August 2013, 12:50 AM |#6705  
Flag McMinnville, TN

More
Mike would you support the Casio GzOne Commando 4G Verizon? Officially supports FM Radio.

27th August 2013, 07:25 AM |#6706  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmguy

Mike would you support the Casio GzOne Commando 4G Verizon? Officially supports FM Radio.

I have no plans for official support. The original Commando didn't sell too well, Spirit only half worked on it w/ no audio, and I've heard exactly zero "buzz" about this followup.

BUT... If it uses pretty much the Qualcomm reference design for FM, like the HTC OneX LTE, OneS, as well as some Sony and LG's do *, then the existing support should work, with digital audio on rooted phones at least.

(* And LOTS more WOULD work, if the WCN3660 FM antenna pins weren't maliciously grounded, as we seen on the very popular Nexus 4, Nexus 7 2013, and several quite popular LG, Googorola and other OEM phones).

If this is a higher end component device, a Qualcomm reference design w/ WCN3660 FM and WDC9310 type audio is a good chance; original Commando was a ref design using the then obscure Qualcomm FM/BT combo, and Casio is a small player (outside of Japan ?), so they're much less likely to create a one-off design.

And this Qualcomm combo is very popular at high end this year, though Broadcom continues to be very successful in selling their FM/combo chips over the "integrated" Qualcomm companion chips. The Qualcomm to Qualcomm audio path is well defined, unlike Qualcomm to Broadcom, and I can't reverse engineer all the crazy combinations, just important ones like HTC One.
27th August 2013, 08:59 AM |#6707  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Do you have plans for LG Optimus G Pro?

LG-E986 cihazımdan Tapatalk 4 ile gönderildi
27th August 2013, 10:07 AM |#6708  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagrimir

Do you have plans for LG Optimus G Pro?

EDIT: I just received an unsuccessful debug log from a stock, unrooted G2 user. It may be the Broadcom changes I see on the HTC One Android 4.3 leak I posted about in post #6701. But there are usually different issues and Spirit support statuses for stock, unrooted ROMs versus AOSP ROMs.

See post #6706 right before yours for pretty much the same story.

If it works, it works. I think it might be the popular Qualcomm architecture same as on the Optimus G, which has at least one rare-ish variant that connects the FM antenna pin properly.

If it doesn't work with those settings, I'm not likely to put much time into investigating it.

If it became particularly popular among custom ROM users, I'd reconsider, but Optimus G was mostly shunned in favor of the almost identical and much cheaper Nexus 4.
27th August 2013, 06:45 PM |#6709  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I have an unrooted stock HTC One (Android 4.2.2, with Sense, Blinkfeed, etc.). What should I do to make Spirit FM work over bluetooth?

Need I to root my phone? If possible, I do not intend to change my ROM (keep Android 4.2.2).

Regards,
27th August 2013, 08:49 PM |#6710  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Barcelos

I have an unrooted stock HTC One (Android 4.2.2, with Sense, Blinkfeed, etc.). What should I do to make Spirit FM work over bluetooth?

Need I to root my phone? If possible, I do not intend to change my ROM (keep Android 4.2.2).

Regards,

First, I'll assume it's not a Verizon One. This variant seems incapable of FM.

Second, you need the Unlocked version of Spirit.

You need to root the phone and give Spirit SU/root privilege.

Then, set Menu-> Settings-> Audio-> Method to "Digital Auto" and restart Spirit.

If the A2DP BT headset is paired and connected, FM audio should go through it now.

Ensure the wired headset is plugged in for the antenna. The metal case makes operation without impossible.
27th August 2013, 08:58 PM |#6711  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Warsaw
Thanks Meter: 38,917

Donate to Me
More
Hey mike.
First of all thank you for your awesome work.

Do you plan to take a look at Android 4.3 f.e. for Samsung Galaxy S3? Available as CM-10.2. Maybe it would help with trying to catch changes between 4.2.2 and 4.3 in terms of FM.
Spirit FM worked great in 4.2.2 but doesn't with 4.3.
If you need any specific information just let me know.

Cheers.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
spirit fm radio receiver ota

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)