Unlocking->insecure boot->root->flash cm10 with amplifier support your Q without apk

Search This thread

ianandamy

Apr 26, 2006
cedar hill MO
Unlocking->insecure boot->root->flash cm10 with amplifier support your Q without apk

!!!!!!THIS IS NOW ALL FIXED AND PROPERLY WORKING BY THESE INSTRUCTIONS HOPE THIS HELPS YOU ALL!!!!!!

Unlocking->insecure boot->root->flash cm10 with amplifier support your Q without

Q apk.

this is a guide I compiled from the following devs that are credited and thanked

below.

Apparently Google did not like that we are using our Q's again and have killed

the servers that host our Nexus Q apk, if you are currently logged into your Q

you will not notice it. If you try logging into another Q or relog into your Q for

the first time. It will not work any more.

I have 3 of these and want to keep the Q community alive, I needed to figure out

as many of you how to access your Q through adb if the app is dead to enable usb

debugging so you can load cheap cast and continue to use your Q.

This will get adb debugging back so you can load a custom recovery and get

cheapcast back running through CyanogenMod.

!!!!You will need a otg cable powered is a good idea these are $10.00 here ->

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To fastboot unlock your device / Credit and thanks to -> fiveipads

1. cmd to platform-tools

2. Reboot to the bootloader -> cover your Q with your hand -> power on nexus Q as

soon as you see red remove your hand -> (will go solid red and you are in

bootloader)

3. Unlock your device* (with fastboot tool) (type) -> fastboot oem unlock

(immediately copy and paste this into tool and hit enter you have only 5 secs) ->

fastboot oem unlock_accept

4.Q will reboot and turn purple etc.

5.Unplug Q and restart in bootloader see #2. (type) -> fastboot getvar unlocked

(this verifies you unlocked your Q->should reply->unlocked:yes)IF NOT DO NOT

PROCEED TILL IT DOES.

Load a unsecure boot image with adb enabled / Credit and thanks to -> ObsidianX

1.Download -> http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1563302&d=1355508721

2.This is a modified boot.img from the factory Nexus Q images that enables adb

debugging on boot in root mode.->Test before you flash!

3.Put the file you download into you platform-tools folder(make sure no other

images have the same name in that folder)

4.Flash the image -> (type in fastboot) -> fastboot flash boot boot-root.img

(image will write should say ok and writing boot etc.)

5.Pull the power on your q and restart the Q

Load Clockwork Mod Recovery / Credit and thanks to -> Koush

1.Download koush's ClockworkMod Recovery.
koush's ClockworkMod Recovery ->
http://download2.clockworkmod.com/recoveries/recovery-clockwork-6.0.3.1-steelhead.img

md5: dec2a809a20e8cb236ae092e71d8d5fe

2.Connect the Nexus Q to the computer via USB.

3.Make sure the fastboot binary is in your PATH or that you place the downloaded

image in the same directory as fastboot. (rename the downloaded recovery file

recovery-clockwork-6.0.3.1-steelhead.img to -> recoveryq.img to make it easy to

type)

4.Open a terminal on your PC and reboot the device into fastboot mode by typing

adb reboot bootloader or by using the hardward -> cover your Q with your hand ->

power on nexus Q as soon as you see red remove your hand -> (will go solid red

and you are in bootloader)

5.Once the device is in fastboot mode, verify your PC sees the device by typing

-> fastboot devices
***If you don't see your device serial number, and instead see "<waiting for

device>", fastboot is not configured properly on your machine. See fastboot

documentation for more info.

6.FLASH ClockworkMod Recovery onto your device (type) -> fastboot flash recovery

recoveryq.img
(should confirm by okay if not do it again till it does)

7.(type) -> fastboot reboot (this will reboot your device to the factory startup

screen) -> (type) adb devices (make sure your device shows up) -> (type) -> adb

reboot recovery (you should be in clockworkMod recovery)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Install Cyanogenmod to your Q through adb on Clockwork Mod / Credit and thanks to Cyanogen mod crew and hharte for amplifier support and Anthony Hopf for updated working zip file.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.Download the prebuilt release of CyanogenMod you wish to install.
Here is a build of CM10.1 from repo sync on 6/17/2013 for each of TAS5713 and SPIDF outputs:

Please go easy on the downloads or mirror these files if desired. They are on my private server so bandwidth is limited. *****IF YOU CAN MIRROR THESE LINKS CONTACT ME WITH THE LINK*****

TAS5713 (Audio Amplifier):
Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vk77uq7dmpazzpz/cm-10.1-20130617-UNOFFICIAL-steelhead_TAS5713.zip (148MB)
MD5SUM: adc98db7a9905b89c0d2fa9eab601f58 *cm-10.1-20130617-UNOFFICIAL-steelhead_TAS5713.zip

SPDIF:
Download: http://www.magicandroidapps.com/download/cm-10.1-20130617-UNOFFICIAL-steelhead_SPDIF.zip (148MB)
MD5SUM: ec26a86a5011cf480a9efb3cee63e000 *cm-10.1-20130617-UNOFFICIAL-steelhead_SPDIF.zip

HDMI: Use stock CM 10.1 nightly build. found here ->http://get.cm/?device=steelhead

Note: If, after installing, you don't have any sound, then install gapps and download "Audio Manager" from the Play Store. Run Audio Manager and select the "Mute" profile, and then select the "Loud" profile.

2.Rename your cm10 file to -> cm10.zip (this will make it easier to type later)

3.Move your cm10.zip to your platform-tools folder again like you did the recoveryq.img file

4.To install boot into recovery mode (type) -> fastboot boot recovery.img (or if you are still at recovery ignore this)

5.When Q has reached recovery mode, push the cm10.zip to /sdcard using adb, (type) -> adb push cm10.zip /sdcard/

6.To push gapps (if desired download here -> http://goo.im/gapps/gapps-jb-20130301-signed.zip md5SUM: b7e53e96e1c8b1a1c4865bf29418c8e0 and rename to gapps.zip and move to platform-tools folder)(type) -> adb push gapps.zip /sdcard/

7.From within recovery, "install zip from sdcard" and browse to cm10.zip file After this has installed, it is a good idea to wipe data and cache.

8.Then install gapps (if desired) by again choosing "install zip from sdcard" and choosing the gapps.zip file.

9.If cm10.1 gets stuck in a boot loop, then you probably forgot to wipe. Reboot the Q back into fastboot as follows:

Unplug power for Nexus Q and wait about 10 seconds.

Plug Q back in.

When the LED lights up on the top of the Q, cover it with your hand until the LED ring turns red. This has to be done in less than one second. If you miss it, try again.

As soon as the ring is RED, remove your hand, and the Q should be in fastboot mode.

10.Now, you can "fastboot -w" to wipe, or "fastboot boot recovery.img" to boot into recovery and wipe using the menu

OR YOU CAN INSTALL THIS ICS BASED ROM BASED ON THE STOCK IMAGE HERE->

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...=Download it&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13777850981938

YOU MUST USE ICS BASED GAPPS.

Install Cheapcast to q with auto boot option / credit and thanks to -> Sebastian Mauer and other devs involved (YOU NOW NEED THE OTG CABLE AND A MOUSE)

1.Start your q get the otg cable plug it in wait for the Q to boot all the way the plug the mouse into the otg cable it should work.

2.+Sebastian Mauer's CheapCast allows an Android device to act as a target for #chromecast enabled applications. Android device == Nexus Q; chromecast enabled application == +Google Play Music.

3.Go to the asop brower on the Q and go to this link -> http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23060877489999380

4.Download the apk do not use the store version at this time it is broken.

5.Using a file explorer find and open the apk it will be in the downloads folder. (you may need to authorize installing 3rd party apps in the security menu) once installed open cheapcast tick enable on startup and start sevices button. Now reboot your Q using a reboot button apk from the store.

6.Now your Q will be recognized as a target for any Chromecast enabled app upon startup, like Google Play Music it will also work on youtube as I have verified this, however if using the steelhead internal amp zip it will not output sound except to the internal amp. Use your device (I'm using my S4 GPE) to start and enjoy!

7.If for some reason the apk stops working on boot you may need to reinstall it and restart it for on boot starting. Your Q will now be on all day long so unplug it when not using it. until someoen makes a remote turn off apk or something.

Edit: All the XDA folks who put up a bounty? Please donate to Sebastian - grab the CheapCast app and hit the donate button!

(If your Q boots up and the resolution looks wrong you will need to use a different tv or monitor ot happened to me)

I hope this help anyone like me who thought everything on this forums was way to hard to find and put together, this is all tested and is done how I typed it in.

If you mess it up DO NOT COME TO ME CRYING!

If I helped you, click my thanks button and send your donations to all the devs mentioned above, also donate to cheap cast to make it stay around.

Obviously Google does not want us to keep using our Q balls so make sure we keep devs working for us here by posting and showing interest.

Thanks- Ian

Last edited:

beepem

Aug 17, 2013
OTG cable

At what point did you need an OTG cable? Looks like you did all this via PC? Thanks so much!!!! I have two of them, both had USB debugging enabled until I did factory resets on them this morning. <sigh> The folks at Google were very nice and excruciatingly unhelpful when I called them about it this afternoon. But... apparently a "Nexus Q expert" will get back to me very soon, and I'm sure the response will be the standard Google canned response regarding the Q.

Last edited:

unknownkwita

Sep 22, 2009
The TAS5713 build wont download properly for me, i have tried several times and it keeps downloading as a 121MB file rather than the 148MB that the post states, can someone post a working build?

Thankyou for the guide, can i suggest you add a note about using adb while in CWM, i had to use the universal naked drivers to get the Q to appear in adb devices

ianandamy

Apr 26, 2006
cedar hill MO
The TAS5713 build wont download properly for me, i have tried several times and it keeps downloading as a 121MB file rather than the 148MB that the post states, can someone post a working build?

Thankyou for the guide, can i suggest you add a note about using adb while in CWM, i had to use the universal naked drivers to get the Q to appear in adb devices

I will try that later and report back if it works for me

ottoemezzo

Nov 15, 2012
Thanks for the great guide, I just bought my Q a few days ago. I will definitely try this out. It is good to know, that the community is still alive.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 4

sonikot

Nov 4, 2008
Long Beach

1.Download -> http://xdaforums.com/atta...2&d=1355508721

4.This is to test it first before you permanatly install it -> (type in fastboot)

-> fastboot boot boot-root.img (If the device reboots and the mute light goes

from red to off then you've successfully booted! Run `adb devices` to ensure it's

showing up and that you can connect to it. If all goes well (which it should)

then you can flash the boot image)

5.Flash the image -> (type in fastboot) -> fastboot flash boot-root.img

6.Pull the power on your q and restart the Q

-------------------------------

you have fastboot flash boot-root.img

its supposed to be-- fastboot "flash boot" boot-root.img

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

!!!!!!THIS IS NOW ALL FIXED AND PROPERLY WORKING BY THESE INSTRUCTIONS HOPE THIS HELPS YOU ALL!!!!!!

Unlocking->insecure boot->root->flash cm10 with amplifier support your Q without

Q apk.

this is a guide I compiled from the following devs that are credited and thanked

below.

Apparently Google did not like that we are using our Q's again and have killed

the servers that host our Nexus Q apk, if you are currently logged into your Q

you will not notice it. If you try logging into another Q or relog into your Q for

the first time. It will not work any more.

I have 3 of these and want to keep the Q community alive, I needed to figure out

as many of you how to access your Q through adb if the app is dead to enable usb

debugging so you can load cheap cast and continue to use your Q.

This will get adb debugging back so you can load a custom recovery and get

cheapcast back running through CyanogenMod.

!!!!You will need a otg cable powered is a good idea these are $10.00 here ->

To fastboot unlock your device / Credit and thanks to -> fiveipads

1. cmd to platform-tools

2. Reboot to the bootloader -> cover your Q with your hand -> power on nexus Q as

soon as you see red remove your hand -> (will go solid red and you are in

bootloader)

3. Unlock your device* (with fastboot tool) (type) -> fastboot oem unlock

(immediately copy and paste this into tool and hit enter you have only 5 secs) ->

fastboot oem unlock_accept

4.Q will reboot and turn purple etc.

5.Unplug Q and restart in bootloader see #2. (type) -> fastboot getvar unlocked

(this verifies you unlocked your Q->should reply->unlocked:yes)IF NOT DO NOT

PROCEED TILL IT DOES.

1.Download -> http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1563302&d=1355508721

4.Flash the image -> (type in fastboot) -> fastboot flash boot boot-root.img

5.Pull the power on your q and restart the Q

Load Clockwork Mod Recovery / Credit and thanks to -> Koush

1.Download koush's ClockworkMod Recovery.
    koush's ClockworkMod Recovery ->
    http://download2.clockworkmod.com/recoveries/recovery-clockwork-6.0.3.1-steelhead.img

md5: dec2a809a20e8cb236ae092e71d8d5fe

2.Connect the Nexus Q to the computer via USB.

3.Make sure the fastboot binary is in your PATH or that you place the downloaded

image in the same directory as fastboot. (rename the downloaded recovery file

recovery-clockwork-6.0.3.1-steelhead.img to -> recoveryq.img to make it easy to

type)

4.Open a terminal on your PC and reboot the device into fastboot mode by typing

adb reboot bootloader or by using the hardward -> cover your Q with your hand ->

power on nexus Q as soon as you see red remove your hand -> (will go solid red

and you are in bootloader)

5.Once the device is in fastboot mode, verify your PC sees the device by typing

-> fastboot devices
    ***If you don't see your device serial number, and instead see "<waiting for

device>", fastboot is not configured properly on your machine. See fastboot

documentation for more info.

6.FLASH ClockworkMod Recovery onto your device (type) -> fastboot flash recovery

recoveryq.img
    (should confirm by okay if not do it again till it does)

7.(type) -> fastboot reboot (this will reboot your device to the factory startup

screen) -> (type) adb devices (make sure your device shows up) -> (type) -> adb

reboot recovery (you should be in clockworkMod recovery)

Install Cyanogenmod to your Q through adb on Clockwork Mod / Credit and thanks to Cyanogen mod crew and hharte for amplifier support and Anthony Hopf for updated working zip file.

1.Download the prebuilt release of CyanogenMod you wish to install.
    Here is a build of CM10.1 from repo sync on 6/17/2013 for each of TAS5713 and SPIDF outputs:

Please go easy on the downloads or mirror these files if desired. They are on my private server so bandwidth is limited. *****IF YOU CAN MIRROR THESE LINKS CONTACT ME WITH THE LINK*****

TAS5713 (Audio Amplifier):
    Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vk77uq7dmpazzpz/cm-10.1-20130617-UNOFFICIAL-steelhead_TAS5713.zip (148MB)
    MD5SUM: adc98db7a9905b89c0d2fa9eab601f58 *cm-10.1-20130617-UNOFFICIAL-steelhead_TAS5713.zip

SPDIF:
    Download: http://www.magicandroidapps.com/download/cm-10.1-20130617-UNOFFICIAL-steelhead_SPDIF.zip (148MB)
    MD5SUM: ec26a86a5011cf480a9efb3cee63e000 *cm-10.1-20130617-UNOFFICIAL-steelhead_SPDIF.zip

HDMI: Use stock CM 10.1 nightly build. found here ->http://get.cm/?device=steelhead

Note: If, after installing, you don't have any sound, then install gapps and download "Audio Manager" from the Play Store. Run Audio Manager and select the "Mute" profile, and then select the "Loud" profile.

2.Rename your cm10 file to -> cm10.zip (this will make it easier to type later)

3.Move your cm10.zip to your platform-tools folder again like you did the recoveryq.img file

4.To install boot into recovery mode (type) -> fastboot boot recovery.img (or if you are still at recovery ignore this)

5.When Q has reached recovery mode, push the cm10.zip to /sdcard using adb, (type) -> adb push cm10.zip /sdcard/

6.To push gapps (if desired download here -> http://goo.im/gapps/gapps-jb-20130301-signed.zip md5SUM: b7e53e96e1c8b1a1c4865bf29418c8e0 and rename to gapps.zip and move to platform-tools folder)(type) -> adb push gapps.zip /sdcard/

7.From within recovery, "install zip from sdcard" and browse to cm10.zip file After this has installed, it is a good idea to wipe data and cache.

8.Then install gapps (if desired) by again choosing "install zip from sdcard" and choosing the gapps.zip file.

9.If cm10.1 gets stuck in a boot loop, then you probably forgot to wipe. Reboot the Q back into fastboot as follows:

Unplug power for Nexus Q and wait about 10 seconds.

Plug Q back in.

When the LED lights up on the top of the Q, cover it with your hand until the LED ring turns red. This has to be done in less than one second. If you miss it, try again.

As soon as the ring is RED, remove your hand, and the Q should be in fastboot mode.

10.Now, you can "fastboot -w" to wipe, or "fastboot boot recovery.img" to boot into recovery and wipe using the menu

OR YOU CAN INSTALL THIS ICS BASED ROM BASED ON THE STOCK IMAGE HERE->

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...=Download it&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13777850981938

YOU MUST USE ICS BASED GAPPS.

Install Cheapcast to q with auto boot option / credit and thanks to -> Sebastian Mauer and other devs involved (YOU NOW NEED THE OTG CABLE AND A MOUSE)

1.Start your q get the otg cable plug it in wait for the Q to boot all the way the plug the mouse into the otg cable it should work.

2.+Sebastian Mauer's CheapCast allows an Android device to act as a target for #chromecast enabled applications. Android device == Nexus Q; chromecast enabled application == +Google Play Music.

3.Go to the asop brower on the Q and go to this link -> http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23060877489999380

4.Download the apk do not use the store version at this time it is broken.

5.Using a file explorer find and open the apk it will be in the downloads folder. (you may need to authorize installing 3rd party apps in the security menu) once installed open cheapcast tick enable on startup and start sevices button. Now reboot your Q using a reboot button apk from the store.

6.Now your Q will be recognized as a target for any Chromecast enabled app upon startup, like Google Play Music it will also work on youtube as I have verified this, however if using the steelhead internal amp zip it will not output sound except to the internal amp. Use your device (I'm using my S4 GPE) to start and enjoy!

7.If for some reason the apk stops working on boot you may need to reinstall it and restart it for on boot starting. Your Q will now be on all day long so unplug it when not using it. until someoen makes a remote turn off apk or something.

Edit: All the XDA folks who put up a bounty? Please donate to Sebastian - grab the CheapCast app and hit the donate button!

______________________________________________________________________________

(If your Q boots up and the resolution looks wrong you will need to use a different tv or monitor ot happened to me)

I hope this help anyone like me who thought everything on this forums was way to hard to find and put together, this is all tested and is done how I typed it in.

If you mess it up DO NOT COME TO ME CRYING!

If I helped you, click my thanks button and send your donations to all the devs mentioned above, also donate to cheap cast to make it stay around.

Obviously Google does not want us to keep using our Q balls so make sure we keep devs working for us here by posting and showing interest.

Thanks- Ian

Should be: fastboot flash boot boot-root.img

1.Download -> http://xdaforums.com/atta...2&d=1355508721

4.This is to test it first before you permanatly install it -> (type in fastboot)

-> fastboot boot boot-root.img (If the device reboots and the mute light goes

from red to off then you've successfully booted! Run `adb devices` to ensure it's

showing up and that you can connect to it. If all goes well (which it should)

then you can flash the boot image)

6.Pull the power on your q and restart the Q

-------------------------------

you have fastboot flash boot-root.img

its supposed to be-- fastboot "flash boot" boot-root.img
    im hosting the rom Anthony uploaded in this g+ post. To the best of my knowledge it is the TAS5713 CM10.1 rom that was originally modified by hharte. Ill keep it up for the foreseeable future. I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANYTHING.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8a2mhiG243Ja1lqc0xVQzAwdjQ/edit?usp=sharing
    Thanks for this great guide!! It's flawless!! I got the Q running and cheapcast works great, the sound quality with these B&W's is just superb!! I was impressed, and now I don't have to be a receiver!! :D

Glad to hear