[GUIDE]HDC Galaxy S4 Legend Disassembly + Antenna Modifications!

Search This thread

rynbrgss

Mar 11, 2013
York
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES ARE YOU PERMITTED TO REPOST ANY IMAGES OR TEXT FROM THIS GUIDE, DIGITALLY OR OTHERWISE, WITHOUT MY WRITTEN CONSENT.
I can only offer limited advice as I currently do not have an LCD. That said, I have a better understanding of the layout of the board now.

I have had several messages asking 'Where can I buy this part?' Unless it is already posted in this thread, I do not know where you can buy it.

Possible parts sellers: (I cannot confirm details are correct. Purchase at your own risk!)

LCD: http://s.taobao.com/search?q=fpc-a50...l-b&rsclick=13

An EXPERIMENTAL antenna guide can be found in this post: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=46020544&postcount=61
Results of this here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=46309271&postcount=68

I'm in the UK, using the O2 network so I do not know how it will affect US networks as they use a different frequency.

This guide is currently incomplete and will be updated as progress is made. Thanks to @henrykins111 and @PerisH-es for the helpful information.

Please note: This will void your warranty. I do not accept responsibility for this or any data loss or damage that may occur directly or indirectly as a result of attempting to follow any of the steps in this guide. Please take care and follow these steps at your own risk.

Tools required for the disassembly:
- Small (2-3mm?) Phillips head screwdriver
- Plastic pry tool or thin guitar plectrum.

Firstly, remove the back case, battery, microSD card and SIM card. Put these safely to one side.
DSC_0009.jpg

Remove the 9 screws that surround the edges of the back of the phone. Put these in a small box or something, I've lost countless screws by just leaving them on the side.
DSC_0010.jpg

Insert the plectrum (or pry tool) between the chrome and the brushed style sections of the phone. Take care not to use too much force or push the plectrum in too far as this could damage some of the ribbon cables, situated mostly towards the top of the phone.
DSC_0011.jpg

You'll be left with two parts. The grey piece you just removed will have the ribbon antennas for wifi and cellular signal attached, as well as the loudspeaker and the camera lens and flash diffuser. The board is now also exposed.
DSC_0012.jpg

To remove the camera, using the plectrum to carefully unplug the ribbon cable. The main camera unit can then be lifted out, but be aware that it is held down by some tape so be aware that a small amount of force may be required.
DSC_0013.jpg

Now using the same method unplug the small black ribbon cable that is attached to the SIM and microSD card slots.
DSC_0015.jpg

The card slots are held in with a little glue, and these can now be removed.
DSC_0016.jpg

To remove the board, first undo the 2 screws located in opposite corners that hold it down. Make a note of their location as it is easy to confuse which holes to put them in. Then, remove this small strip of tape, being VERY careful not to tear the ribbon cables beneath.
DSC_0014.jpg

Using the plectrum, you can now remove these. The bottom cable is a data cable that links to the bottom board and the top cable is the screen cable (I think - not sure)
DSC_0018.jpg

Just above the socket for the SIM and microSD card slots is another socket. This has a small, black, hinged plastic tab that you must lift until it is 90degrees to the board. You can then slowly slide out the ribbon cable from the socket. Underneath this cable is another plug type socket. Unplug this.
DSC_0017.jpg

Another antenna cable can now be removed. This can be quite stiff but be very careful not to dent the metal on the connections and also be aware that it is possible to pull the socket itself from the board.
DSC_0019.jpg

After unplugging another small ribbon cable located on the top edge of the phone, the board can now be lifted. Lift the board as smoothly as possible, making sure to not tear any of the ribbon cables.
DSC_0021.jpg

To remove the first infrared sensor and light sensor, simply pull it vertically out from the casing of the phone.
DSC_0023.jpg

Just underneath the top of the headphone jack is a small indent in the white plastic. Use this to remove the headphone jack, but be careful not to apply to much force as joined by another thin ribbon cable is the LED and second infrared sensor. This may take some slight wriggling to remove as it is all held in with a small amount of glue.
DSC_0024.jpg

Unplug the ribbon cable from the bottom left hand side of the board.
DSC_0025.jpg

The other end of the metal antenna cable can now be unplugged. being careful of the components underneath and the round thing (microphone?) the board should now only be held in by a couple of strips of tape and a little glue.
DSC_0026.jpg

The other side of the bottom board. This helps explain a few things. The round object connected via the wires appears to be the vibration motor. There are no numbers or letters written on it. Those of you having problems, it may simply be a broken connection on this wire, so it's worth checking.

The microphone is the small surface mounted silver box located next to the solder points for the wires.
DSC_0001.jpg

The LCD/digitizer/glass assembly is now held in with a little glue. Use the plectrum to remove the screen. If it's stubborn, gently heat with a heat gun or hair dryer on low heat in a circular motion over the device. You may need to apply a small amount of pressure to the back of the LCD, where the battery would normally be. There is a risk of breaking it if you do this, but this won't matter if you're replacing it anyway.

NOTE: The LCD cables will not fit through the slot they are in without removing the small black divider to the right hand side of the slot, where the top speaker would be.
DSC_0142.jpg

!Potentially important information!
As I broke the LCD I thought I would have a go at separating the LCD from the digitizer/glass. Turns out it is possible BUT almost impossible to do without breaking the LCD.

If your LCD is broken but your glass/digitizer is fine, then you could try removing it. The LCD is glued to the glass only around the edge. To remove it, you simply have to pull the LCD from the glue. Before you do this, be ABSOLUTELY sure that you are only pulling the LCD off and not the digitizer. The easiest way to check is to remove the LCD from the top down, as here you can use the ribbon cable as a reference to which layer is the digitizer. Picture of this to come.

As mentioned by @henrykins111, gently heating the screen and using a thin metal spudger or xacto knife will really help with this.

Last edited:

Atomic-AI

Aug 12, 2013
I was looking for the microphone part, i think in my phone it's defect and trying to repair it myself.
Maybe you have some shots of it?

Firefly0

Aug 25, 2013
Thanks for posting this. I'm also looking for the vibration engine as it seems to be faulty on mine, it stops working sometimes and shaking the phone a bit seems to fix it temporarily, which makes me think there's a loose connection. I'm also suffering from a poor wifi signal as I move away from the router - do you know where the wifi antenna is?

rynbrgss

Mar 11, 2013
York
Original post has been updated with further information about the bottom board, microphone and vibration motor.

do you know where the wifi antenna is?

It looks like the wifi antenna is the black cable with gold metal connections that runs down the right hand side (volume button side) and connects to the bottom board. This in turn connects to a grey flat ribbon style antenna which can be seen glued flat to the bottom of the phone simply by removeing the battery cover.

That said, I have the same problem. Different ROMs don't solve the problem. I'm wondering if it simply is weak, and maybe a strip of conductive tape or foil or similar on top of this antenna would help. Either that or have the complete opposite effect and it refelct signals around inside the phone. Might be worth a try though.

Reactions: Firefly0

splashboy

Mar 26, 2010
Thanks for posting this. I'm also looking for the vibration engine as it seems to be faulty on mine, it stops working sometimes and shaking the phone a bit seems to fix it temporarily, which makes me think there's a loose connection.

Let me know if you fixed it and how you did

Thanks!

rynbrgss

Mar 11, 2013
York
Does anyone have any idea why I can't update the original post with images? If i copy the exact same code into a new post, it allows me to do it.

Example:

DSC_0009.jpg

Firefly0

Aug 25, 2013
Original post has been updated with further information about the bottom board, microphone and vibration motor.

It looks like the wifi antenna is the black cable with gold metal connections that runs down the right hand side (volume button side) and connects to the bottom board. This in turn connects to a grey flat ribbon style antenna which can be seen glued flat to the bottom of the phone simply by removeing the battery cover.

That said, I have the same problem. Different ROMs don't solve the problem. I'm wondering if it simply is weak, and maybe a strip of conductive tape or foil or similar on top of this antenna would help. Either that or have the complete opposite effect and it refelct signals around inside the phone. Might be worth a try though.

Thanks for the reply. That sounds like it could work, let me know the results if you try it. I've messaged the seller I bought the phone from about the poor wifi signal to see if they have any advice, I'll post back if I have any luck.

Let me know if you fixed it and how you did

Thanks!

It seems to be OK now after shaking the phone a bit. Pulling out the battery also seemed to temporarily fix it once, but I think that may have just been a coincidence. I'll probably try opening it up if it stops working again to see if there is a loose connection.

rynbrgss

Mar 11, 2013
York
Thanks for the reply. That sounds like it could work, let me know the results if you try it.

I've been having a play but no luck. I tried simply inserting a small strip of foil between the antenna and back case and no change. I then true different sizes an locations still the same. Even made an antenna from the foil that ran just love halfway up the phone and wired it into the pins on the board, and no significant change there either I'm afraid.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

lvieira76

Aug 14, 2013
Palmela
I've been having a play but no luck. I tried simply inserting a small strip of foil between the antenna and back case and no change. I then true different sizes an locations still the same. Even made an antenna from the foil that ran just love halfway up the phone and wired it into the pins on the board, and no significant change there either I'm afraid.

It will be interesting, to see, if any parts from the real s4 are compatible with this legend, i see many users will pay an extra buck to replace de rear and front camera, and also the wifi, because these parts are relatively cheap..., in another angle, maybe someone will also wanted to change for the real s4 screen but i doubt that will be compatible .

lvieira76

Aug 14, 2013
Palmela
I see many people with poor wifi, could an original flez cable be the solution?

ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Internal-Antenna-Signal-WIFI-Flex-Cable-Part-for-Samsung-Galaxy-S4-i9500-/290931180790?pt=UK_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item43bcd984f6

Reactions: peppe vitiello

rynbrgss

Mar 11, 2013
York
It will be interesting, to see, if any parts from the real s4 are compatible with this legend, i see many users will pay an extra buck to replace de rear and front camera, and also the wifi, because these parts are relatively cheap..., in another angle, maybe someone will also wanted to change for the real s4 screen but i doubt that will be compatible .

While the wifi flex replacement should fit, I can't see it making any real difference. The wifi antenna itself is different from the S4; on our phones there is a thin grey ribbon antenna underneath the battery. It looks just like a sticker but on the other side of it it has a thin copper circuit. This is what is potentially the problem as it may not be very well designed. (I'm no expert when it comes to antenna designs themselves).

I'd be reluctant to try the camera but if you do let us know how it goes. The same with the screen.

PerisH-es

Jul 30, 2013
I think the wifi antenna is the antenna in the top. The little one at the right-corner. You can try with that.

I believe that the botton antenna is the mobile antenna (GSM).

Hope it helps.

@rynbrgss Did you get to check the lcd model?

Last edited:

lvieira76

Aug 14, 2013
Palmela
i sure hope that someone gets an fix for wifi, because, i receive my legend today and didnt pick the wireless 10 meters away...lol

rynbrgss

Mar 11, 2013
York
I think the wifi antenna is the antenna in the top. The little one at the right-corner. You can try with that.

I believe that the botton antenna is the mobile antenna (GSM).

Hope it helps.

@rynbrgss Did you get to check the lcd model?

I haven't, I need to work out how to get to it without damaging the phone.

Ill have a play with the other antenna too, thanks for the heads
up.

i sure hope that someone gets an fix for wifi, because, i receive my legend today and didnt pick the wireless 10 meters away...lol

Have you tried fluffy's Rom? That helped a lot wwith mine.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES ARE YOU PERMITTED TO REPOST ANY IMAGES OR TEXT FROM THIS GUIDE, DIGITALLY OR OTHERWISE, WITHOUT MY WRITTEN CONSENT.
    I can only offer limited advice as I currently do not have an LCD. That said, I have a better understanding of the layout of the board now.

I have had several messages asking 'Where can I buy this part?' Unless it is already posted in this thread, I do not know where you can buy it.

Possible parts sellers: (I cannot confirm details are correct. Purchase at your own risk!)

LCD: http://s.taobao.com/search?q=fpc-a50...l-b&rsclick=13

An EXPERIMENTAL antenna guide can be found in this post: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=46020544&postcount=61
    Results of this here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=46309271&postcount=68

I'm in the UK, using the O2 network so I do not know how it will affect US networks as they use a different frequency.

This guide is currently incomplete and will be updated as progress is made. Thanks to @henrykins111 and @PerisH-es for the helpful information.

Please note: This will void your warranty. I do not accept responsibility for this or any data loss or damage that may occur directly or indirectly as a result of attempting to follow any of the steps in this guide. Please take care and follow these steps at your own risk.

Tools required for the disassembly:
    - Small (2-3mm?) Phillips head screwdriver
    - Plastic pry tool or thin guitar plectrum.

Firstly, remove the back case, battery, microSD card and SIM card. Put these safely to one side.
    DSC_0009.jpg

Remove the 9 screws that surround the edges of the back of the phone. Put these in a small box or something, I've lost countless screws by just leaving them on the side.
    DSC_0010.jpg

Insert the plectrum (or pry tool) between the chrome and the brushed style sections of the phone. Take care not to use too much force or push the plectrum in too far as this could damage some of the ribbon cables, situated mostly towards the top of the phone.
    DSC_0011.jpg

You'll be left with two parts. The grey piece you just removed will have the ribbon antennas for wifi and cellular signal attached, as well as the loudspeaker and the camera lens and flash diffuser. The board is now also exposed.
    DSC_0012.jpg

To remove the camera, using the plectrum to carefully unplug the ribbon cable. The main camera unit can then be lifted out, but be aware that it is held down by some tape so be aware that a small amount of force may be required.
    DSC_0013.jpg

Now using the same method unplug the small black ribbon cable that is attached to the SIM and microSD card slots.
    DSC_0015.jpg

The card slots are held in with a little glue, and these can now be removed.
    DSC_0016.jpg

To remove the board, first undo the 2 screws located in opposite corners that hold it down. Make a note of their location as it is easy to confuse which holes to put them in. Then, remove this small strip of tape, being VERY careful not to tear the ribbon cables beneath.
    DSC_0014.jpg

Using the plectrum, you can now remove these. The bottom cable is a data cable that links to the bottom board and the top cable is the screen cable (I think - not sure)
    DSC_0018.jpg

Just above the socket for the SIM and microSD card slots is another socket. This has a small, black, hinged plastic tab that you must lift until it is 90degrees to the board. You can then slowly slide out the ribbon cable from the socket. Underneath this cable is another plug type socket. Unplug this.
    DSC_0017.jpg

Another antenna cable can now be removed. This can be quite stiff but be very careful not to dent the metal on the connections and also be aware that it is possible to pull the socket itself from the board.
    DSC_0019.jpg

After unplugging another small ribbon cable located on the top edge of the phone, the board can now be lifted. Lift the board as smoothly as possible, making sure to not tear any of the ribbon cables.
    DSC_0021.jpg

To remove the first infrared sensor and light sensor, simply pull it vertically out from the casing of the phone.
    DSC_0023.jpg

Just underneath the top of the headphone jack is a small indent in the white plastic. Use this to remove the headphone jack, but be careful not to apply to much force as joined by another thin ribbon cable is the LED and second infrared sensor. This may take some slight wriggling to remove as it is all held in with a small amount of glue.
    DSC_0024.jpg

Unplug the ribbon cable from the bottom left hand side of the board.
    DSC_0025.jpg

The other end of the metal antenna cable can now be unplugged. being careful of the components underneath and the round thing (microphone?) the board should now only be held in by a couple of strips of tape and a little glue.
    DSC_0026.jpg

The other side of the bottom board. This helps explain a few things. The round object connected via the wires appears to be the vibration motor. There are no numbers or letters written on it. Those of you having problems, it may simply be a broken connection on this wire, so it's worth checking.

The microphone is the small surface mounted silver box located next to the solder points for the wires.
    DSC_0001.jpg

The LCD/digitizer/glass assembly is now held in with a little glue. Use the plectrum to remove the screen. If it's stubborn, gently heat with a heat gun or hair dryer on low heat in a circular motion over the device. You may need to apply a small amount of pressure to the back of the LCD, where the battery would normally be. There is a risk of breaking it if you do this, but this won't matter if you're replacing it anyway.

NOTE: The LCD cables will not fit through the slot they are in without removing the small black divider to the right hand side of the slot, where the top speaker would be.
    DSC_0142.jpg

!Potentially important information!
    As I broke the LCD I thought I would have a go at separating the LCD from the digitizer/glass. Turns out it is possible BUT almost impossible to do without breaking the LCD.

If your LCD is broken but your glass/digitizer is fine, then you could try removing it. The LCD is glued to the glass only around the edge. To remove it, you simply have to pull the LCD from the glue. Before you do this, be ABSOLUTELY sure that you are only pulling the LCD off and not the digitizer. The easiest way to check is to remove the LCD from the top down, as here you can use the ribbon cable as a reference to which layer is the digitizer. Picture of this to come.

As mentioned by @henrykins111, gently heating the screen and using a thin metal spudger or xacto knife will really help with this.
    Antenna Results.

Couldn't get any screenshotting apps to work so sorry for the pictures, but here are the results of my antennas:

GSM before:
    DSC_0004.jpg

GSM after:
    DSC_0006.jpg

WiFi after (distance of 5 metres):
    DSC_0003.jpg

Good luck if you try it!
    Antenna Pics!

Before attempting, please read:
    Use these images as a reference only. I am not responsible for any damages as a result of you attempting any of this.

Copper can be bought from here (UK Seller): http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360655842459?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

GSM Antenna:

Using the original guide, remove the back cover.

Slide a short strip of the adhesive copper through the gap that the current antenna uses. Peel off the backing and stick it to the antenna as shown. MAKE SURE THAT YOU DO NOT COVER THE EXISTING CONNECTION ENTIRELY You should be able to see where the original contact point is because the pins leave a dent in the flex cable.

IMG_20130929_135101.jpg

WIFI Antenna:

With the back cover removed, locate the wifi antenna. Being careful not to damage the antenna, use a sharp knife to cut a slot above the two gold pins that is wide enough to fit the copper tape through.

In the same way that the GSM antenna was done, slot the copper through and stick it down making sure that the pins can still contact the original antenna directly.

IMG_20130929_135112.jpg

From here you should be able to expand and experiment with your own antenna styles. This is how I currently have my phone, but there is still much room for improvement. Don't let the GSM and WIFI antennas touch each other or any other metal parts!

IMG_20130929_135152.jpg
    Picture links fixed
    Nice, on wich picture can you see the vibration engine?