[HOWTO] Unroot, Remove TWRP, and Prepare to Sell your KFHD7"

Search This thread

r3pwn

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 11, 2012
r3pwn.com
I, as well as a few others, are going to sell our KFHD7 devices to get something better *cough* 2013 Nexus 7 *cough*. Before I leave the Kindle community, I would like to help those looking to sell the device. Keep in mind that these are very simple steps and you must have TWRP already working. (You can't really remove something that you don't have, now can you? :D)

You can choose to do this process entirely on your device or with the help of a computer.

First, grab Amazon's latest update file from http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201016350 (You can do this on your Kindle or your computer) then rename it from WHATEVER-THE-UPDATE-NAME-IS.bin to WHATEVER-THE-UPDATE-NAME-IS.bin.zip

Next, Backup all important data. What YOU classify important data as is all up to you. This could be apps (Free apps are located in "/data/app", while premium and paid apps are in "/data/app-asec". Please note that if you copy a premium app from "/data/app-asec", you must also copy it's corresponding folder in "/data/data".), family pictures from a recent vacation (Most likely located in "/sdcard/Pictures" somewhere.), or just some hard-to-find files that work on all newer android devices. You can choose to zip all the files up and put them on Dropbox, or use your computer to "adb pull" them. If you have any questions about backing things up, leave a comment down below.

Third step: If you downloaded Amazon's update file to your computer, you can transfer it over now or wait a step or two.

Now you need to reboot into TWRP recovery. Once you get there (Shouldn't take too long now, thanks to Hashcode! :D), if you downloaded the file on your computer, you can wipe your internal storage (/sdcard), system, data, dalvik cache, and cache now. If not, wipe all above except for your internal storage (/sdcard) and flash the zip file you downloaded earlier then afterwards, wipe your Internal Storage (/sdcard). To those who just wiped everything and have the file downloaded on your computer, got to the "Advanced" menu in TWRP and hit "ADB Sideload". You will need to have the proper drivers if using Windows. (Windows always has drivers issues with Android. :/)

If you need help with anything in this thread, please leave a comment down below.

Now that all that is done, reboot your tablet and you should now be 100% stock with NO ROOT, TWRP REMOVED, ALL DATA REMOVED, ALL IMPORTANT FILES BACKED UP, and YOUR KINDLE FIRE HD 7" IS READY TO SELL.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD using xda app-developers app

xxxo

Dec 26, 2011
Do not forget to de-register with Amazon if you have, this is how I got mine so cheap

Opensystem

May 12, 2013
Useful guide, in any section. I'd say Android development is probably where the people who need this will find it first. And technically, reverting a device is the opposite of development...don't see that thread section on XDA

Sent from my Android Kindle Fire HD 7 Running Cyanogenmod 10.1

r3pwn

Jul 11, 2012
r3pwn.com
Useful guide, in any section. I'd say Android development is probably where the people who need this will find it first. And technically, reverting a device is the opposite of development...don't see that thread section on XDA

Sent from my Android Kindle Fire HD 7 Running Cyanogenmod 10.1

Thanks. Lol. :)

Do not forget to de-register with Amazon if you have, this is how I got mine so cheap

I don't think you need to do this. Wiping all data removes that.

xxxo

Dec 26, 2011

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD using xda app-developers app[/QUOTE]

Yes ,but the person that purchases it will have a hard time to register it with Amazon ,they bind device ID to amazon accounts to stop the thief's

r3pwn

Jul 11, 2012
r3pwn.com

Yes ,but the person that purchases it will have a hard time to register it with Amazon ,they bind device ID to amazon accounts to stop the thief's

Oh. Okay.

davelinc

Nov 18, 2012
Thanks for this. My old kindle developed a loose charging port, and following a phone call with Amazon, I received a brand spanking new one 2 days later, with 30 days to return the faulty one (excellent service from Amazon by the way). Anyway, time is ticking by and I was thinking I would have to use KFFA to restore it back to its original state. This will save me a lot of time and hassle. Thanks.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD using xda premium

caithao

Dec 4, 2012
To those who just wiped everything and have the file downloaded on your computer, got to the "Advanced" menu in TWRP and hit "ADB Sideload". You will need to have the proper drivers if using Windows. (Windows always has drivers issues with Android. :/)

You forgot to mention, after you have completely wiped everything. After the ADB Slideload, once the device is in sideloading mode and is connected to the PC, type "adb sideload rom.zip" and hit Enter. Now you'll find the ROM on the sdcard, flash, and you're done.

Sep 7, 2010
Just to be completely clear, if I download the zip to my device, I wipe EVERYTHING BUT the internal storage, then I can flash it, and then wipe JUST the internal storage?

LinearEquation

Aug 26, 2013
Midwest
Just to be completely clear, if I download the zip to my device, I wipe EVERYTHING BUT the internal storage, then I can flash it, and then wipe JUST the internal storage?

If you have the zip on your SD card then don't wipe the internal storage until after you flash the zip. If you do, you wipe the ROM too.

If the ROM is on your computer then wipe away. Then in TWRP go to advanced and select ADB sideload, open a command prompt and type adb sideload /path/nameofyourzip.zip and the zip will begin to flash. You will see the percentage of the zip flashed on your computer screen.

I would suggest anyone wishing to sideload the ROM to confirm adb is seeing your tablet. Open command and type "ADB devices." If it remains "waiting for device" adb sideload will not work.

Sent from my Nexus 7 Flo running CM 11 4.4.2 with ElementalX Kernel using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Sep 7, 2010
If you have the zip on your SD card then don't wipe the internal storage until after you flash the zip. If you do, you wipe the ROM too.

Well, it's a Kindle Fire HD, so no SD card, just Internal memory. I flashed the zip from internal storage, and then wiped the internal storage. Now the static Kindle Fire logo pops up.... and that's it. A bit brickish.

cajkallal

Jul 17, 2014
HELPOkay

Okay I was unrooting my Kindle...followed the above directions to a T and then when I got to adb sideload....nothing happens....what do I do or what did I do wrong??? Trying to get Kindle back to stock...and I wiped everything because had Kindle zip on computer. :crying::eek:

cruzdude

Jul 6, 2016
Title

What are one of these things worth stock anyways? And what if it has twrp and all of that crap?

Sent by my kfhd7 with BeanStalk-4.4.4065-20141002-tate and Twrp 2.8.7.0

sullytrny

Dec 24, 2006
Saranac Lake
Thanks for this. My old kindle developed a loose charging port, and following a phone call with Amazon, I received a brand spanking new one 2 days later, with 30 days to return the faulty one (excellent service from Amazon by the way). Anyway, time is ticking by and I was thinking I would have to use KFFA to restore it back to its original state. This will save me a lot of time and hassle. Thanks.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD using xda premium
just put it in the microwave for 5 seconds

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I, as well as a few others, are going to sell our KFHD7 devices to get something better *cough* 2013 Nexus 7 *cough*. Before I leave the Kindle community, I would like to help those looking to sell the device. Keep in mind that these are very simple steps and you must have TWRP already working. (You can't really remove something that you don't have, now can you? :D)

You can choose to do this process entirely on your device or with the help of a computer.

First, grab Amazon's latest update file from http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201016350 (You can do this on your Kindle or your computer) then rename it from WHATEVER-THE-UPDATE-NAME-IS.bin to WHATEVER-THE-UPDATE-NAME-IS.bin.zip

Next, Backup all important data. What YOU classify important data as is all up to you. This could be apps (Free apps are located in "/data/app", while premium and paid apps are in "/data/app-asec". Please note that if you copy a premium app from "/data/app-asec", you must also copy it's corresponding folder in "/data/data".), family pictures from a recent vacation (Most likely located in "/sdcard/Pictures" somewhere.), or just some hard-to-find files that work on all newer android devices. You can choose to zip all the files up and put them on Dropbox, or use your computer to "adb pull" them. If you have any questions about backing things up, leave a comment down below.

Third step: If you downloaded Amazon's update file to your computer, you can transfer it over now or wait a step or two.

Now you need to reboot into TWRP recovery. Once you get there (Shouldn't take too long now, thanks to Hashcode! :D), if you downloaded the file on your computer, you can wipe your internal storage (/sdcard), system, data, dalvik cache, and cache now. If not, wipe all above except for your internal storage (/sdcard) and flash the zip file you downloaded earlier then afterwards, wipe your Internal Storage (/sdcard). To those who just wiped everything and have the file downloaded on your computer, got to the "Advanced" menu in TWRP and hit "ADB Sideload". You will need to have the proper drivers if using Windows. (Windows always has drivers issues with Android. :/)

If you need help with anything in this thread, please leave a comment down below.

Now that all that is done, reboot your tablet and you should now be 100% stock with NO ROOT, TWRP REMOVED, ALL DATA REMOVED, ALL IMPORTANT FILES BACKED UP, and YOUR KINDLE FIRE HD 7" IS READY TO SELL.