223 posts
Thanks Meter: 34

By qs504792, Senior Member on 26th January 2013, 06:52 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
30th August 2013, 03:41 AM |#1011  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Unika and GM
Anyone successfully mated an Asteroid to a GM resistive steering wheel control using the Unika? I have a 2000 olds Intrigue that I want to keep controls with. Should be the same with the Buick century, Regal, Pontiac Grand Prix, Chevy Lumina/Impala and most other GM cars of the day...
30th August 2013, 03:43 AM |#1012  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by moogvo

Anyone successfully mated an Asteroid to a GM resistive steering wheel control using the Unika? I have a 2000 olds Intrigue that I want to keep controls with. Should be the same with the Buick century, Regal, Pontiac Grand Prix, Chevy Lumina/Impala and most other GM cars of the day...

Yes, working fine! No problems with the UNIKA!
30th August 2013, 04:00 AM |#1013  
Thanks Meter: 144

More
Quote:

I did that, but it still shows "Parrot" before it loads the boot animation.

That's the kernel logo. AFAIK it can't be changed without rebuilding the kernel.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4
30th August 2013, 04:19 AM |#1014  

More
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by casoft

Yes, working fine! No problems with the UNIKA!

I just opened the Unika box and found a WHOLE MESS of wires and connectors... Is there soldering to be done or is there an ISO connector in the vehicle wiring? I have installed MANY head units, but never one with steering wheel controls. Great to hear that the Unika will actually work with a GM...

I am worried because I have read so many posts about this thing NOT working. Any tips you care to pass along would be most welcomed!

Taomyn, I figured that might be the case. It looks awesome as is though.
30th August 2013, 06:16 AM |#1015  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Just saw this on Google+

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2421357

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4
30th August 2013, 06:49 AM |#1016  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinster

Hismoom, I have a suggestion.

I think the volume control slider is too thin to operate when driving. It takes some concentration to get my finger to press the right area of the slider/buttons. More difficult when the car is going over bumpy roads. It's not very safe.

Are you able to make the whole pop-up slider bigger? Something that takes up at least half the screen so a rough press somewhere along the slider's length triggers a volume change. i.e not just along the actual slider graphics itself, but presses above it and below it would be interpreted as a press on it, if you know what I mean?

I would imagine a much larger pop-up would be needed anyway for gesture control.

Sure, I'll look into that.
30th August 2013, 07:20 AM |#1017  
Thanks Meter: 461

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I just opened the Unika box and found a WHOLE MESS of wires and connectors...

As I mentioned earlier to someone else, most of those wires aren't going to be used. They're all there to remain compatible with the older Parrot Handfree / Radios or unique cars that use more than 1 to 2 pairs for the steering wheel controls.

Quote:

Is there soldering to be done or is there an ISO connector in the vehicle wiring?

It actually depends on the vehicle. The ISO 10487 connector is actually a common car audio connector in Europe amongst a few manufacturers. However, it is not so common here in the States.

Quote:

I have installed MANY head units, but never one with steering wheel controls.

The Unika is actually the most confusing because of the sparse information available for it and the excess of wires. Plus, it is made by another company, Paser.it, that Parrot rebrands as their own. That's why there's a lack of consistency when it comes to the color of the wiring.

Quote:

I am worried because I have read so many posts about this thing NOT working. Any tips you care to pass along would be most welcomed!

Incidentally, most steering wheel controls use resistive ladders. At least at the steering wheel/clock spring end, so the Unika should be able to work with most of them if you know how to tap into at different locations. It is the ones that then get adapted into a CAN BUS or K-Bus before going into the stereo wiring which can sometimes cause quirks,
The Following User Says Thank You to donaldta For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift donaldta Ad-Free
30th August 2013, 10:44 AM |#1018  
Here's a new version of my volume control app.

I've changed the layout a bit and implemented swipe up/down gestures to increase/decrease volume. You can also touch anywhere on the screen to change the slider. If this causes too many problems, I can change the behavior to only react to the view itself (the "white window").
The only thing I'm still struggling with is detecting if the device has switched to night mode when the setting is on "Auto". Unfortunately the docs that Parrot published in their Devzone aren't helpful in this regard. Maybe someone has an idea there?
Attached Files
File Type: apk ASTEROIDSmartVolumeControl.apk - [Click for QR Code] (234.2 KB, 97 views)
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to K_Hismoom For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift K_Hismoom Ad-Free
30th August 2013, 12:00 PM |#1019  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Man you are quick. Thanks for a great program!
30th August 2013, 02:29 PM |#1020  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Hi guys! I had my parrot asteroid smart installed yesterday, looks nice! A bit sad it's running such a old Android. I'll soon root it and get Android market on it, but i saw couple of people here that say they are using PLEX on it. I want to know where did you get the apk that run on such a old version of android?? Is it thru market?

Also. I saw someone recommend Smart Launcher as a launcher replacement. Is there any other good launcher for the asteroid?

Did anyone had any success bringning Google Music on it?

Also, If I want to put all my music Library on a USB Hard Disk, does the Stock Multimedia player will play it ? Or if not, What do you suggest as a good Music player easy to use on a Car device like the Smart... ?

Thankk you guys!!
30th August 2013, 04:13 PM |#1021  

More
I use Zeam launcher. It is lightweight and quick. You can use an external HDD. It has to be formatted as FAT32. NTFS and exFAT will not work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda app-developers app
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)