Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (10.1) won't shut down after the latest firmware update

Search This thread

beezerhale

Apr 8, 2013
Hi. I hope this is the correct forum. My Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (10.1) won't shut down after the latest firmware update. I believe I had 4.2.1 and now I have 4.2.2. My device name is is GT-P5113. I plugged the Tab into my computer and Kies opened automatically. It said there was an update for my device so I updated.

All seems to be ok, but now when I choose to "shut down" the tablet shuts down and then cycles back on as if I had just pressed the power button to turn it back on.

I guess it could be worse - it could be refusing to turn on.

Is there a fix for this? Anybody else had this problem?

It is not rooted and I don't really want to do so.

Thanks in advance for any help!

mymeatb18

Feb 27, 2011
miami
I think u could wipe cache in stock recovery I would do that and see if that fixes it. Hold down vol up and power at the same time till the device reboots into recovery. Dunno how it is on the bigger ones but on the 7" I have to keeo holding the buttons for a second longer after the samsung gtab2 logo comes on to boot in to recovery.

Remember u dont want to factory reset just wipe cache

Sent from my GT-P3113 using xda app-developers app

beezerhale

Apr 8, 2013
wipe cache

Thank you for the reply. I tried that and got an "error". I was able to get to recovery mode and choose "wipe cache". It begins and I get an error message.

I think u could wipe cache in stock recovery I would do that and see if that fixes it. Hold down vol up and power at the same time till the device reboots into recovery. Dunno how it is on the bigger ones but on the 7" I have to keeo holding the buttons for a second longer after the samsung gtab2 logo comes on to boot in to recovery.

Remember u dont want to factory reset just wipe cache

beezerhale

Apr 8, 2013
What type of error?? :cyclops::p:p:p

can you take a picture of it ??

I just uploaded 4 pics to a section of a website that I already have running.

Here is the link:

http://6thgraderocks.wix.com/galazyerror

The images show the end process of updating through Kies (I screen captured), the current tab info, the recovery screen and the error I get when I try to erase cache. Keep in mind, I am able to reboot and my tablet comes on like normal - no issues except when I try to turn it off - it comes right back on.

mythi

Mar 1, 2013
Amman
I just uploaded 4 pics to a section of a website that I already have running.

Here is the link:

http://6thgraderocks.wix.com/galazyerror

The images show the end process of updating through Kies (I screen captured), the current tab info, the recovery screen and the error I get when I try to erase cache. Keep in mind, I am able to reboot and my tablet comes on like normal - no issues except when I try to turn it off - it comes right back on.

Did you try flashing pit?? did you flash jb bootloader ?? did your device be rooted before flash ?? were you on cm/aokp/pac/slim/etc ??? if yes whic h build did you flash black hawk next kernel ?? <--- may be it what caused it :confused: ---> did you try to downgrade to 4.0.3/4.0.4/4.1.2 if yes what happened what did you flash before going to stock rom like mod and etc ???? hope you answer these questions !!

also try this

enable usb debugging
turn off your tab fully
connect tab to pc pull a logcat dsmg ksmg and post them as txt or pastbin

does your tab stuck in recovery loop like rebooting always to recovery sometimes until you compeletly shut down the tab?

if it is under warranty return it to SAMMY TO FIX IT IT IS THEIR FAULT !!

i think it is not hard ware related don't worry !!

beezerhale

Apr 8, 2013
This tab is not rooted or tampered with at all. I have no desire to do so.

Did you try flashing pit?? did you flash jb bootloader ?? did your device be rooted before flash ?? were you on cm/aokp/pac/slim/etc ??? if yes whic h build did you flash black hawk next kernel ?? <--- may be it what caused it :confused: ---> did you try to downgrade to 4.0.3/4.0.4/4.1.2 if yes what happened what did you flash before going to stock rom like mod and etc ???? hope you answer these questions !!

also try this

enable usb debugging
turn off your tab fully
connect tab to pc pull a logcat dsmg ksmg and post them as txt or pastbin

does your tab stuck in recovery loop like rebooting always to recovery sometimes until you compeletly shut down the tab?

if it is under warranty return it to SAMMY TO FIX IT IT IS THEIR FAULT !!

i think it is not hard ware related don't worry !!

SebasC

Nov 16, 2007
Cokato, MN
I have the exact same problem with BOTH my Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 (Wi-Fi only) It's a software problem for sure...

SebasC

Nov 16, 2007
Cokato, MN
Also flashing back to 4.1.1 or lower will eliminate the problem

Sent from my GT-P5113 using xda app-developers app

beezerhale

Apr 8, 2013
I know I could probably do that (flash back) myself, but I just don't want to. I have bricked a Kindle Fire before while trying to make it do what I wanted it to. I don't want to mess with this Galaxy - it does exactly what I want it to --- surf the web, Netflix/Hulu, and comic books - I'm not too complicated!

I spoke with Samsung yesterday and they said to try a hard reset. That did not work. I spoke with another rep this morning and they are going to repair or replace it for me. He sent a shipping label to my email. This was a gift and I have no receipt. I am VERY pleased with the service from Samsung.

Also flashing back to 4.1.1 or lower will eliminate the problem

Sent from my GT-P5113 using xda app-developers app

SebasC

Nov 16, 2007
Cokato, MN
So you're going to replace a perfectly good product with a software mistake? I've two tablets, unrooted, 4.2.2 with the same problem... Your better off waiting for a fix..

mymeatb18

Feb 27, 2011
miami
Why shoukd he feel burdened for something he had no control over. Samsung sent the update, iys not his fault its not doing what it should. If he wants to return it cuz it doesnt turn off as it should he has every right to do so. At least he didnt brick it and is expecting samsung to pay for it.

d86

Sep 4, 2013
I had the same problem

Hello,

I registered here to just answer your question since I've been searching around on the internet as well for this problem. I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 with version 4.2.1. I updated to version 4.2.2 and all hell broke loose. Before I get into it, I had a perfectly working tablet that never had any problems. I installed all updates through OTA or Samsung Kies. It's not rooted.

Anyway, after the update to 4.2.2 my tablet wouldn't turn on. I had to plug it into the wall outlet and then it finally turned on. After playing around with it, some of the widgets didn't work so I thought maybe I should turn it off and reboot it. When I chose "power off" it wouldn't turn off. Instead it would automatically restart. After trying several attempts it still wouldn't turn off so I contacted Samsung. They made me clear the cache and then wipe out the whole system and install a fresh copy of the software. The tablet then went black and now all that was shown on the screen was the little android bot with the error message like how yours is now. It wouldn't boot up to the main screen anymore.

So I had to return the tablet back to Samsung yesterday and they are going to attempt to fix it. It's still under warranty but I'll be pissed if I won't be able to install the new software on my tablet since I like the new updates they did for it.

Anyway, sorry for my long response but I hope this helps you out even though nothing was resolved. I'll post what happens once I get back my tablet.

avm1

Nov 15, 2012
Similar "Reboot after turn off" issue

I have the same "can't turn off" issue on my stock Tab 2 10.1 updated to 4.2.2 via Kies. After turning off and confirming on the screen, the tablet simply turns back on. This typically happens several times in a row before something happens and it stays off. I emailed Samsung to request support.

Hello,

I registered here to just answer your question since I've been searching around on the internet as well for this problem. I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 with version 4.2.1. I updated to version 4.2.2 and all hell broke loose. Before I get into it, I had a perfectly working tablet that never had any problems. I installed all updates through OTA or Samsung Kies. It's not rooted.

Anyway, after the update to 4.2.2 my tablet wouldn't turn on. I had to plug it into the wall outlet and then it finally turned on. After playing around with it, some of the widgets didn't work so I thought maybe I should turn it off and reboot it. When I chose "power off" it wouldn't turn off. Instead it would automatically restart. After trying several attempts it still wouldn't turn off so I contacted Samsung. They made me clear the cache and then wipe out the whole system and install a fresh copy of the software. The tablet then went black and now all that was shown on the screen was the little android bot with the error message like how yours is now. It wouldn't boot up to the main screen anymore.

So I had to return the tablet back to Samsung yesterday and they are going to attempt to fix it. It's still under warranty but I'll be pissed if I won't be able to install the new software on my tablet since I like the new updates they did for it.

Anyway, sorry for my long response but I hope this helps you out even though nothing was resolved. I'll post what happens once I get back my tablet.

SamsungTab2User

Sep 7, 2013
Reboot issues

I have the same "can't turn off" issue on my stock Tab 2 10.1 updated to 4.2.2 via Kies. After turning off and confirming on the screen, the tablet simply turns back on. This typically happens several times in a row before something happens and it stays off. I emailed Samsung to request support.

I had a live chat with Samsung just now. It is interesting that the tech I communicated with did not know of any issue with the rebooting and there was no mention in their system that a problem even existed (so I sent a link to this page to him).

Anyway, the end result was that it I wanted to fix the problem, I would have to restore Android through KIES:

samsung.com/us/support/faq/FAQ00052690/61266/GT-P3113GRSXAR

This will delete all data and get back to Android 4.2.1

Since I have already have seen issues with KIES, I wonder if it wouldn't be easier to just use ODIN? Any suggestions from those who might have tried both?

d86

Sep 4, 2013
update #1

Just wanted to give an update. Samsung sent me an email yesterday stating they "fixed" my tablet. I should be getting back my tablet by the end of this week or early next week. The receipt said that it was a "software problem" and they reinstalled new software with the latest update. I'm just wondering if it's 4.1.2(that worked fine with my tablet) or 4.2.2(which messed up my tablet)

I'll give another update once I get it in my possession.

---------- Post added at 05:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:28 PM ----------

I had a live chat with Samsung just now. It is interesting that the tech I communicated with did not know of any issue with the rebooting and there was no mention in their system that a problem even existed (so I sent a link to this page to him).

Anyway, the end result was that it I wanted to fix the problem, I would have to restore Android through KIES:

samsung.com/us/support/faq/FAQ00052690/61266/GT-P3113GRSXAR

This will delete all data and get back to Android 4.2.1

Since I have already have seen issues with KIES, I wonder if it wouldn't be easier to just use ODIN? Any suggestions from those who might have tried both?

I tried this when I chatted with Samsung and it messed up my tablet completely where as when I rebooted my tablet it would show an android robot with "error"

Plus, I don't know about you but I don't want to have 4.2.1. I want to have the 4.2.2 update on my tablet. It's a much more sleeker interface. Just the only problem is that it wouldn't shut off. I will see what happens once I have it. If 4.2.1 is on my tablet I will try again updating the software to 4.2.2.

impliu

Sep 7, 2013
There are some problems like boot fail or can't poweroff I've seen at some posts, they do the same things:
1.flash a 4.2.2 stock rom
2.have some problems: boot fail or can't poweroff eg..
3.boot to recovery and want to wipe the cache
4.get a error with the robot logo lie down

I found a post mentions that he've fixed this problem by using odin 3.07 flash the 4.2.2 stock rom with a matched kernel boot file.
The post is here, it's in chinese:
http://b.it168.com/thread-4690107-1-1.html

His solution is get to this site to find the 4.2.2 stock rom and matched kernel file of your device and use odin 3.07 flash them:
http://samsung-updates.com/

do it at your own risk maybe solve your problem.

d86

Sep 4, 2013
Update #2

So I got my tablet today and I turned it on to see that it had android software 4.1.1. Then the software update icon popped up and I updated to 4.2.2. Then the same problem happened again like the last time. The tablet wouldn't turn off and it would automatically restart. I contacted Samsung Support again and they had me do a factory reset which then fried my tablet again. It doesn't turn on. So now I have to send it back again for a 2nd time. This time they said they may have to replace the tablet either with the same tablet or a different model tablet. But I stressed to them to make sure to update the tablet this time to 4.2.2 so they can see the problem I'm facing. We shall see next week I guess what happens.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (10.1) won't shut down

Hi. I hope this is the correct forum. My Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (10.1) won't shut down after the latest firmware update. I believe I had 4.2.1 and now I have 4.2.2. My device name is is GT-P5113. I plugged the Tab into my computer and Kies opened automatically. It said there was an update for my device so I updated.

All seems to be ok, but now when I choose to "shut down" the tablet shuts down and then cycles back on as if I had just pressed the power button to turn it back on.

I guess it could be worse - it could be refusing to turn on.

Is there a fix for this? Anybody else had this problem?

It is not rooted and I don't really want to do so.

Thanks in advance for any help!
    I had this exact same problem- here's the fix:

Go into application manager, go to "all apps", and find "software update". Stop and then remove the software update V6. After reboot the tablet will shut down.

I banged my head on this one for a while, figured I'd share what I learned here.

Matt
    Sorry I missed this post. They did reformat.

Did they have to restore or format the Tab to fix it?
    I will be sending mine in, but I don't want to loose everything.

Thanks.
    Fix?

I just signed up for the forum because I believe that I may have found a solution to this problem. Keep in mind, I am not a developer and if you choose to follow my advice you do so at your own risk. Here is what I found and what I did.

1. Go to Settings -> Application manager and swipe over to ALL.

2. Scroll down until you see Software update. In my case there were two of them. One of them is Version v6_1306_2_1 and the other was around Version 3 or so. If you notice the one that is Version v6, you have the option to "Force stop", but "Turn off" is grayed out. In the other version, "Turn off" is available.

What I did was "Force stop" then selected "Clear cache" on both of them. I also selected "Turn off" on the one that had that button available.

My device then shut off properly. When I turned it back on and went back to Settings -> Application manager -> All, I only had one instance of Software update running. My device has now turned off properly 5 times in a row.

I hope this helps everybody. Please post and spread the word if this works for you.