[GUIDE] REVONE, MOONSHINE & RUMRUNNER Pre-S-OFF Steps.... READ FIRST

Search This thread

horsetastic

Jun 6, 2011
Isle of Wight, UK
Xiaomi Mi 11 Lite 5G
IMPORTANT INFORMATION!
READ THIS BEFORE GOING TO THE S-OFF THREADS

This simple guide is aimed at giving you the best chance at achieving S-OFF on your device. Although not all of the steps listed below are 100% necessary if you are failing to achieve S-OFF or still receiving errors of any sort then you either cannot S-OFF your phone or you haven't followed the guide. In my opinion your best hope for S-OFF is by using RUMRUNNER. It supports the largest amounts of firmware and the support is great.

You should only use MOONSHINE/REVONE to S-Off if......

1. You are on or flash a STOCK Sense 5, Android 4.1 ROM! (NOTE: 4.2 Software may be OK however for your best chances use the oldest you possibly can!!)

2. Have an old un-patched 1.44 HBoot or If on T-Mob or AT&T and on Patched 1.44 HBoot you have downgraded using one of the guides provided at the bottom of this post. (NOTE: To my knowledge patched 1.44 HBoot's are most likely those dated from June 2013 onwards, to check this reboot to bootloader and find the date there.)

3. Use the up to date 0.2.1 revone (the older ones give false successes)

4. Are Rooted (Not necessary but seems to improve chances of success)

5. Have the correct Moonshine package for your exact firmware and software version! If your firmware is not on the site and there is no way of you getting a matching firmware then you can't use it!

6. Are not on stock 4.2 software upgraded via OTA. (NOTE: Custom 4.2 Software may be OK as long as your HBoot is still 1.44)

7. Are not using a GE ROM, 4.3 Rom or on stock 4.3 software

8. Are not on HBoot 1.54 or higher

9. Are NOT on HBoot 1.54 or higher

10. ARE NOT ON HBOOT 1.54 OR HIGHER

11. Are not an Idiot! (Most important of all)

Before you try RUMRUNNER you must.....

1. Ensure you are on 100% Stock firmware/software that is supported. (note:you may be rooted or have custom recovery they should not effect success)

2. Ensure that if your device is carrier branded you are running stock firmware/software for your carrier (i.e H3G = 2.24.771.3)

3. Have your bootloader unlocked!

4. Use the correct RumRunner package for your device firmware. If you are not then flash Stock software matching your correct carrier firmware before starting.

5. Have HTC Sync removed from your computer!

6. Have firewalls, antivirus and anything else turned off or un-installed! (Ensure to turn back on after completion :D)

7. Have read the RumRunner thread and Site HERE and know you can email them with your firmware version so maybe they can S-OFF your phone! But DO NOT pester them on their IRC channel, that is for support only!!

8. Have more then 40% battery life.....

9. Not be an idiot! (Always the most important point!)

Notes:

1. If it still isn't working try a different stock rom and re-flash your correct stock firmware and try RumRunner again :)

2. If RumRunner gets to pouring (5)... Or higher it's more then likely failed already.

3. Some branded firmware's might work with the international package i.e 2.24.111.3 works with the 2.24.401.1 rumrunner package.

Again as I stated earlier some of these may not apply but if you want to guarantee revone or moonshine to work then you should follow these rules! Also in addition to this. READ THE OP of the threads in question (and POST 2 of revone!) They are your bible and will tell you what to do.

If you aren't sure what S-OFF is, does, why you might need it or how to achieve it safely then you DO NOT NEED S-OFF. You could ruin your phone and you really should start with more basic things first!!

WARNING Going back to S-ON isn't necessary for warranty, just lock the bootloader and go back to a stock rom/recovery if you do decide to be crazy and go S-ON again you may receive back a non-s-offable device that isn't supported by any of the above methods... YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

Error codes and what they mean (from my experience, and what I've read!) ;-

Error Code -1 = Potentially you need to try a different ROM or it could just be random and after a few tries and reboots it might work. A few people have reported that rebooting and using -p rather than -P has worked but I'm not convinced as -p isn't built as a command but you're free to try whatever you wish.

Error Code -2 = I've seen people report this but revone has actually worked so should you see this try and reboot and carry on, if not then try changing ROMs and try again.

Error Code -6 = More then likely you're on either a patched or a 1.54 HBoot and you're not going to be able to S-Off. If you reboot to bootloader and you're on 1.44 then you might be able to downgrade using one of the guides on xda. Xboarder's guide on rootzwiki for TMob is a good one. In addition you may be on the right 1.44 HBoot but the software/ROM you're running could be the issue. In any case run a stock RUU for your CID and you should be sorted.

Error Code 1 = I've had this myself and this basically means it's not ever going to work. I think it's a variant on the -6 Error. If you see this, you're out of luck IMO.

Link for T-Mobile Device HBoot Downgrade to enable S-OFF HERE

Link for AT&T Device HBoot Downgrade to enable S-OFF HERE

Additional Info (On Downgrading HBoot from 1.54 with S-ON)

If after reading this guide you're thinking OK so I need to downgrade my HBoot, then to clear things up here is a list of methods that categorically do not and will not work to downgrade your 1.54 HBoot to 1.44 HBoot if your device is S-ON regardless of how much you think it should work because it did on your old phone.

Note these methods WILL NOT WORK to downgrade HBoot from 1.54 to 1.44 while S-ON!

1. Running an old RUU for your device with a lower HBoot inside

2. Writing directly to any of the board or hboot partitions mmcblk0p4, mmcblk0p5, mmcblk0p12. This includes:-
a) dd'ing your hboot/board image, editing the version then dd'ing it back
b) dd'ing any other hboot/board image to your hboot partition mmcblk0p12
c) dd'ing anything to anything!! HBoot and board are WP from low boot and cannot be written to or modified at all unless S-OFF
d) chmodding mmcblk0p12, deleting it, editing it, or anything else you might thing could work
e) using recovery to flash to mmcblk0p12 using busybox and dd command.
f) anything else I missed (I hope you're getting the picture here anyway) Oh and note, if you try to dd and it says it worked.... It didn't!

3. Modifying and flashing an encrypted or decrypted rom.zip, firmware.zip, PN07IMG.zip or RUU.zip from recovery, fastboot or RUU mode

4. Flashing an old encrypted or decrypted rom.zip, firmware.zip, PN07IMG.zip or RUU.zip from recovery, fastboot or RUU mode

5. Using a Y-Cable with or without a goldcard to flash an old PN07IMG.zip

6. Using a Y-Cable with or without a goldcard to flash a modified PN07IMG.zip

7. Running a modified RUU with old or editied HBoot version

8. *Not totally proven yet* Trying to brick the phone by shutting it off during RUU.zip install at the HBoot writing stage. (This has only been tried once so far and didn't pay off, I would not advise trying this unless you are a "VERY" confident/crazy android user/dev)

I hope this helps clear things up, have a nice day and happy flashing :)

Last edited:

exocetdj

OK so following my post of pretty much exactly this on the revone thread it seems that a lot of people still aren't sure what's going on so here is my simple guide to follow BEFORE you try to S-OFF your phone or post in the Revone or Moonshine threads.

You should/can only use revone or Moonshine(potentially different as I am not as familiar but I'm pretty sure the same rule apply) to S-Off if;-

1. You are on or flash a STOCK Sense 5, Android 4.1 ROM before you try!

2. Have an old un-patched 1.44 HBoot or If on T-Mob or AT&T and on Patched 1.44 HBoot you have downgraded using one of the easy to find guides provided.

3. Use the up to date 0.2.1 revone (the older ones give false successes) <revone only>

4. Are Rooted (Not necessary but seems to improve chances of success) <revone only>

5. Have the correct Moonshine package for your exact firmware and software version! If your firmware is not on the site guess what..... You can't use it! <moonshine only>

6. Are not using a 4.2 ROM

7. Are not using a GE ROM

8. Are not on HBoot 1.54

9. Are not on HBoot 1.54

10. ARE NOT ON HBOOT 1.54

Some of these may not apply but if you want to garuntee revone or moonshine to work then you should follow these rules! Also in addition to this. READ THE OP of the threads in question (and POST 2 of revone!) They are your bible and will tell you what to do.

Notes on Error codes (from my experience, and what I've read!) <revone only>;-

Error Code -1 = Potentially you need to try a different ROM or it could just be random and after a few tries and reboots it might work. A few people have reported that rebooting and using -p rather than -P has worked but I'm not convinced as -p isn't built as a command but you're free to try whatever you wish.

Error Code -2 = I've seen people report this but revone has actually worked so should you see this try and reboot and carry on, if not then try changing ROMs and try again.

Error Code -6 = More then likely you're on either a patched or a 1.54 HBoot and you're not going to be able to S-Off. If you reboot to bootloader and you're on 1.44 then you might be able to downgrade using one of the guides on xda. Xboarder's guide on rootzwiki for TMob is a good one.

Error Code 1 = I've had this myself and this basically means it's not ever going to work. I think it's a variant on the -6 Error. If you see this, you're out of luck IMO.

I hope this clears things up. Please feel free to post your error code findings should they be any different from what I have stated. Also anyone familiar with moonshine please feel free to add anything I might have missed. Cheers.

Sent by homing dragon......

Can I get s-off with HBOOT 1.54???????? (joking BTW lol) :p ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

cheers for this should stop certain muppets asking silly things :)

Reactions: BartuG

horsetastic

Jun 6, 2011
Isle of Wight, UK
Xiaomi Mi 11 Lite 5G
Aditional Information - SuperCID

On a separate note If you are on an updated HBoot but SuperCID (11111111) Then the above rules may not apply. If this is the case for you and you are SuperCID, S-ON on HBoot 1.54 or Higher then you may have to try a few different routes as SuperCID bypasses some things on occasions. You may well be able to downgrade your HBoot and S-OFF.

Reactions: exocetdj

horsetastic

Jun 6, 2011
Isle of Wight, UK
Xiaomi Mi 11 Lite 5G
Can I get s-off with HBOOT 1.54???????? (joking BTW lol) :p ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Lets hope so. Mods moved it from the Origional Dev forum though and I have a feeling a lot of Muppets will totally bypass this forum and go there and still crack on blindly...... Maybe if this was a sticky then it would be missed less.... I dunno..... MODS?

exocetdj

Lets hope so. Mods moved it from the Origional Dev forum though and I have a feeling a lot of Muppets will totally bypass this forum and go there and still crack on blindly...... Maybe if this was a sticky then it would be missed less.... I dunno..... MODS?

Think maybe you should put the title of the thread entirely in capitals and surround it with *********s or ###s so not even the dumbest noob will miss it lol! :D:D

horsetastic

Jun 6, 2011
Isle of Wight, UK
Xiaomi Mi 11 Lite 5G
the noobs dont even notice the stickies, they will still answer questions :D

I know. I'm thinking that at least from now on noone has to answer the questions though. they can simply send them to this thread lol.

I'd be better if this was in the Orig Android Dev forum imo, that way when they jump in there head first they might see it!

Reactions: IINexusII

IINexusII

Nov 8, 2010
I know. I'm thinking that at least from now on noone has to answer the questions though. they can simply send them to this thread lol.

I'd be better if this was in the Orig Android Dev forum imo, that way when they jump in there head first they might see it!

the ONLY way is for XDA to automatically redirect the noobs to this thread whenever they click on a S-OFF thread. otherwise they wont see it

doohdah

Jan 28, 2011
1.54 s off

just go my phone s-off on 1.54 h boot,check fone fun shop.was only achieved today.:D

doohdah

Jan 28, 2011
1.54.s off

S-Off via jtag or by an external paid source is completely different to revone or moonshine. Fit's the onlone they're a lot cheaper!

Also the company you mention has been offering S-Off on the one for while now.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

For your information the 1.54.s-off was only achieved yesterday and is.by java card,it my be more expensive than revone but its the only solution at this time.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    IMPORTANT INFORMATION!
    READ THIS BEFORE GOING TO THE S-OFF THREADS

This simple guide is aimed at giving you the best chance at achieving S-OFF on your device. Although not all of the steps listed below are 100% necessary if you are failing to achieve S-OFF or still receiving errors of any sort then you either cannot S-OFF your phone or you haven't followed the guide. In my opinion your best hope for S-OFF is by using RUMRUNNER. It supports the largest amounts of firmware and the support is great.

You should only use MOONSHINE/REVONE to S-Off if......

1. You are on or flash a STOCK Sense 5, Android 4.1 ROM! (NOTE: 4.2 Software may be OK however for your best chances use the oldest you possibly can!!)

2. Have an old un-patched 1.44 HBoot or If on T-Mob or AT&T and on Patched 1.44 HBoot you have downgraded using one of the guides provided at the bottom of this post. (NOTE: To my knowledge patched 1.44 HBoot's are most likely those dated from June 2013 onwards, to check this reboot to bootloader and find the date there.)

3. Use the up to date 0.2.1 revone (the older ones give false successes)

4. Are Rooted (Not necessary but seems to improve chances of success)

5. Have the correct Moonshine package for your exact firmware and software version! If your firmware is not on the site and there is no way of you getting a matching firmware then you can't use it!

6. Are not on stock 4.2 software upgraded via OTA. (NOTE: Custom 4.2 Software may be OK as long as your HBoot is still 1.44)

7. Are not using a GE ROM, 4.3 Rom or on stock 4.3 software

8. Are not on HBoot 1.54 or higher

9. Are NOT on HBoot 1.54 or higher

10. ARE NOT ON HBOOT 1.54 OR HIGHER

Before you try RUMRUNNER you must.....

1. Ensure you are on 100% Stock firmware/software that is supported. (note:you may be rooted or have custom recovery they should not effect success)

2. Ensure that if your device is carrier branded you are running stock firmware/software for your carrier (i.e H3G = 2.24.771.3)

3. Have your bootloader unlocked!

4. Use the correct RumRunner package for your device firmware. If you are not then flash Stock software matching your correct carrier firmware before starting.

5. Have HTC Sync removed from your computer!

6. Have firewalls, antivirus and anything else turned off or un-installed! (Ensure to turn back on after completion :D)

7. Have read the RumRunner thread and Site HERE and know you can email them with your firmware version so maybe they can S-OFF your phone! But DO NOT pester them on their IRC channel, that is for support only!!

8. Have more then 40% battery life.....

9. Not be an idiot! (Always the most important point!)

Notes:

1. If it still isn't working try a different stock rom and re-flash your correct stock firmware and try RumRunner again :)

2. If RumRunner gets to pouring (5)... Or higher it's more then likely failed already.

3. Some branded firmware's might work with the international package i.e 2.24.111.3 works with the 2.24.401.1 rumrunner package.

Again as I stated earlier some of these may not apply but if you want to guarantee revone or moonshine to work then you should follow these rules! Also in addition to this. READ THE OP of the threads in question (and POST 2 of revone!) They are your bible and will tell you what to do.

If you aren't sure what S-OFF is, does, why you might need it or how to achieve it safely then you DO NOT NEED S-OFF. You could ruin your phone and you really should start with more basic things first!!

WARNING Going back to S-ON isn't necessary for warranty, just lock the bootloader and go back to a stock rom/recovery if you do decide to be crazy and go S-ON again you may receive back a non-s-offable device that isn't supported by any of the above methods... YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

Error codes and what they mean (from my experience, and what I've read!) ;-

Error Code -6 = More then likely you're on either a patched or a 1.54 HBoot and you're not going to be able to S-Off. If you reboot to bootloader and you're on 1.44 then you might be able to downgrade using one of the guides on xda. Xboarder's guide on rootzwiki for TMob is a good one. In addition you may be on the right 1.44 HBoot but the software/ROM you're running could be the issue. In any case run a stock RUU for your CID and you should be sorted.

Link for T-Mobile Device HBoot Downgrade to enable S-OFF HERE

Link for AT&T Device HBoot Downgrade to enable S-OFF HERE

Additional Info (On Downgrading HBoot from 1.54 with S-ON)

If after reading this guide you're thinking OK so I need to downgrade my HBoot, then to clear things up here is a list of methods that categorically do not and will not work to downgrade your 1.54 HBoot to 1.44 HBoot if your device is S-ON regardless of how much you think it should work because it did on your old phone.

Note these methods WILL NOT WORK to downgrade HBoot from 1.54 to 1.44 while S-ON!

1. Running an old RUU for your device with a lower HBoot inside

2. Writing directly to any of the board or hboot partitions mmcblk0p4, mmcblk0p5, mmcblk0p12. This includes:-
    a) dd'ing your hboot/board image, editing the version then dd'ing it back
    b) dd'ing any other hboot/board image to your hboot partition mmcblk0p12
    c) dd'ing anything to anything!! HBoot and board are WP from low boot and cannot be written to or modified at all unless S-OFF
    d) chmodding mmcblk0p12, deleting it, editing it, or anything else you might thing could work
    e) using recovery to flash to mmcblk0p12 using busybox and dd command.
    f) anything else I missed (I hope you're getting the picture here anyway) Oh and note, if you try to dd and it says it worked.... It didn't!

3. Modifying and flashing an encrypted or decrypted rom.zip, firmware.zip, PN07IMG.zip or RUU.zip from recovery, fastboot or RUU mode

4. Flashing an old encrypted or decrypted rom.zip, firmware.zip, PN07IMG.zip or RUU.zip from recovery, fastboot or RUU mode

5. Using a Y-Cable with or without a goldcard to flash an old PN07IMG.zip

6. Using a Y-Cable with or without a goldcard to flash a modified PN07IMG.zip

7. Running a modified RUU with old or editied HBoot version

8. *Not totally proven yet* Trying to brick the phone by shutting it off during RUU.zip install at the HBoot writing stage. (This has only been tried once so far and didn't pay off, I would not advise trying this unless you are a "VERY" confident/crazy android user/dev)

I hope this helps clear things up, have a nice day and happy flashing :)
    OMG! I have been reading and reading in the HTC One threads and stickies but I haven't found any basic definitions. I am experienced in rooting and flashing my kindle, galaxy s2 and galaxy tab 2 but I've never heard of s-off. What the h*** is it and why do I want it? I'm not going to start working through the rooting/recovery guides and risk messing up my phone when I can't even figure this out. Arghh!

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

As I state in the OP of this guide my advice to anyone asking what S-OFF is and why do they need it can surely only mean that you don't really need it otherwise you'd have stumbled upon it whilst trying to do something you wanted/needed to do. In which case I would suggest not even bothering to start down the S-OFF road. It's not necessary for the majority of customisation with the 'One' as with a rooted phone and custom recovery you can still update radio's and flash new ROM's etc. If you're genuinely interested then there's plenty out there to teach you what S-OFF is and what it does. Essentially it turns your phones write safety off so you can completely wipe/edit/modify any of the partitions. Which as you can imagine means that someone who is inexperienced could quite easily kill their phone by changing something that shouldn't be touched.
    Thnx for the reply dude.I used my twrp backup stock Rom 4.3,I tried cynogenmod,paranoid,aosp 4.1 On Windows with firewall down and defender off.HTC sync uninstalled and all .it just keeps pouring till 8th and says wait 30sec,pray and run again.tried ubuntu,same story.goes up to 8 and tells me to pray but I'm not even religious!lol.but without bs now.what Rom would you advice me to use?
    Many thanks man!

You could try this....
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2606577

Sent from my LG-D803 using xda app-developers app
    OK so following my post of pretty much exactly this on the revone thread it seems that a lot of people still aren't sure what's going on so here is my simple guide to follow BEFORE you try to S-OFF your phone or post in the Revone or Moonshine threads.

You should/can only use revone or Moonshine(potentially different as I am not as familiar but I'm pretty sure the same rule apply) to S-Off if;-

1. You are on or flash a STOCK Sense 5, Android 4.1 ROM before you try!

2. Have an old un-patched 1.44 HBoot or If on T-Mob or AT&T and on Patched 1.44 HBoot you have downgraded using one of the easy to find guides provided.

3. Use the up to date 0.2.1 revone (the older ones give false successes) <revone only>

4. Are Rooted (Not necessary but seems to improve chances of success) <revone only>

5. Have the correct Moonshine package for your exact firmware and software version! If your firmware is not on the site guess what..... You can't use it! <moonshine only>

6. Are not using a 4.2 ROM

7. Are not using a GE ROM

8. Are not on HBoot 1.54

9. Are not on HBoot 1.54

10. ARE NOT ON HBOOT 1.54

Some of these may not apply but if you want to garuntee revone or moonshine to work then you should follow these rules! Also in addition to this. READ THE OP of the threads in question (and POST 2 of revone!) They are your bible and will tell you what to do.

Notes on Error codes (from my experience, and what I've read!) <revone only>;-

Error Code -6 = More then likely you're on either a patched or a 1.54 HBoot and you're not going to be able to S-Off. If you reboot to bootloader and you're on 1.44 then you might be able to downgrade using one of the guides on xda. Xboarder's guide on rootzwiki for TMob is a good one.

I hope this clears things up. Please feel free to post your error code findings should they be any different from what I have stated. Also anyone familiar with moonshine please feel free to add anything I might have missed. Cheers.

Sent by homing dragon......

Aditional Information - SuperCID

On a separate note If you are on an updated HBoot but SuperCID (11111111) Then the above rules may not apply. If this is the case for you and you are SuperCID, S-ON on HBoot 1.54 or Higher then you may have to try a few different routes as SuperCID bypasses some things on occasions. You may well be able to downgrade your HBoot and S-OFF.