FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

View Poll Results: What, If Any Other Tutorials Would You Like Me To Make?

Tutorial on setting up and using ADB

378 Vote(s)
52.87%
Creating flashable .zips to be used in recovery

401 Vote(s)
56.08%
Whatever I want!

164 Vote(s)
22.94%
Nothing! I make terrible useless guides!

23 Vote(s)
3.22%

[Guide] How To Setup And Use Fastboot

6,858 posts
Thanks Meter: 3,767

By demkantor, Recognized Contributor on 13th May 2013, 07:49 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
10th September 2013, 12:54 AM |#31  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by demkantor

ok, i see what youre doing.
so you are using fastboot but you dont need a command, as in you download the .tar, then extract until you are in a folder with the jwr66y.zip and bootloader.img and there should be a couple scripts and a flashall.bat
just have your n7 plugged into pc and in fastboot mode
then click the flashall.bat and it will run just fine.
(its been a while since ive flashed a rom.zip to a device, the other command i gave you will work in ruu mode only i believe)

Let me know if this works for you!

Not to pollute this thread anymore - but this was helpfully resolved by the OP via PM. The issue was with the compatibility of the files I was trying to flash onto my CWM-only (no OS) Nexus 7, coupled with a mis-labelled file on the developers.android site.

All is well, I flashed back to 4.2.2 and can once again do as I please. @demkantor, my thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to slapperypete For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift slapperypete Ad-Free

10th September 2013, 10:14 AM |#32  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Unhappy Fastbootboot
I'm using the Amoi n850 and for the life of me I can't figure out how to boot into fastboot. Tried all combination of buttons (only has power & volume buttons) and
Code:
>adb reboot bootloader
simply reboots the device as normal..
10th September 2013, 02:35 PM |#33  
Not all android devices have a bootloader with fastboot capabilities, I'm not sure about yours but if adb reboot bootloader just reboots normally, my guess is that your phone doesn't.
Maybe check the manufactures website

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to demkantor For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift demkantor Ad-Free
10th September 2013, 09:53 PM |#34  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:

Not all android devices have a bootloader with fastboot capabilities, I'm not sure about yours but if adb reboot bootloader just reboots normally, my guess is that your phone doesn't.
Maybe check the manufactures website

Yep, that was it. Just flashed a recovery on using an app and all was well
10th September 2013, 10:28 PM |#35  
Quote:
Originally Posted by celibacy

Yep, that was it. Just flashed a recovery on using an app and all was well

Glad it worked for you, and for future reference, on devices that don't support fastboot try a terminal emulator. For flashing a partition image the ROM must contain the flash image binary and to flash a recovery your command would look something like
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
This would be so long as the recovery is named recovery.img and located on the root of SD card.
But sometimes using an app is the only way... Er easier way

The Following User Says Thank You to demkantor For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift demkantor Ad-Free
12th September 2013, 06:58 AM |#36  
Thanks Meter: 15

More
Really nice guide! It helps me a lot! Thank you!

A suggestion:

1. This guide is mainly for HTC devices.

For example, "fastboot oem ?" does not work in Sony devices. And Sony devices have a recovery-in-boot way.

Can you add some guides on other brands such as Sony/Samsung/Moto/Nexus. A table of comparison would be very nice.
12th September 2013, 07:23 AM |#37  
I'm glad you like it :thumbup:
Well I've never owned a Sony so I can't attest to how fastboot works with these devices, as for Samsung the only ones that have bootloaders capable of fastboot is the nexus s and galaxy nexus that I know of
In a way this guide does cater to HTC as all their androids have some form or another of a fastboot capable bootloader, some with more options than others of course.
This is the same with the nexus line, not all options are available as the bootloaders don't allow. I assume this is the same for Sony and other OEMs that have only a small selection of commands available.
But thanks for the suggestion and I'll do some more research on what different androids have and see if I can add some updates here for it
:beer:

21st September 2013, 10:53 PM |#38  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Transformer Infinity
Great guide!!!

Will that work on Transformer Infinity? Thanks.
21st September 2013, 11:41 PM |#39  
Should work just fine, just make sure you have fastboot on PC and the proper drivers if using windows
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1892169

22nd September 2013, 11:57 PM |#40  
Quote:

*note, occasionally OEMs package another image called rcdata.img along with a firmware release, if they do i also recommend to flash this along with the radio
Code:
fastboot flash rcdata rcdata.com

I'm not sure if this was intentional or not but thought I would point out just in case.
The name of package is rcdata.img
Then the fastboot command

Fastboot flash rcdata rcdata.com

Idk if you meant. .com or .img
With fastboot command
The Following User Says Thank You to trevor7428 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift trevor7428 Ad-Free
23rd September 2013, 12:34 AM |#41  
Ooops, good catch! Yeah it should read .img
Just fixed it

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to demkantor For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift demkantor Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)