[Guide] Nook Color Installation Instructions for CM 10.1.2 on SD + V6 (simplified):

Search This thread

eltrkbrd

Jan 11, 2008
This all started with the hell I went through trying to get V6 Supercharger 100% on my NC running 10.1.2 off SD (services.jar patch wasn't working). This is a simplified guide made by an Android newbie for other newbies. I've tried to consolidate everything into simplified instructions and a single post.

Offline, I have everything broken up into 3 folders including all the installation files and source links; very neatly organized - even my technically challenged, significant other could follow these steps...

Everything all zipped up is about 299 MB (see download link below). Simply download and extract that to your Windows PC, then open and follow the readme.txt files.

I'll clean this post up as time allows. This is just my small way of giving back.

Thanks to all the masters here in the XDA community; it's a far reach for us lowly users... ;)

Your feedback and suggestions are appreciated.

Kind Regards,
~Eltrkbrd

README 1

[Guide] Nook Color Installation Instructions for CM 10.1.2 on SD (simplified):
  1. Install the SDFormatter software on Windows.
  2. Insert your USB MicroSD card adapter (with Sandisk Class 4 MicroSD inserted) into your PC.
  3. Format MicroSD with SDFormatter.
  4. Use Win32DiskImager.exe to write the generic-sdcard-v1.3-CM7-9-10-10.1-larger-Rev6.img file to the formatted MicroSD card. Make sure you choose the correct drive letter otherwise you will erase the wrong drive!
  5. Eject the USB MicroSD card/adapter from the PC and reinsert it back into the PC (select "continue without scanning" if prompted by Windows).
  6. Use Windows Explorer and copy both the cm-10.1.2-encore.zip & gapps-jb-20130301-signed.zip files to microsd (this installs cyanogenmod android rom & google apps).
  7. Copy both the uAltImg & uAltRam files from the AlternateCWM-SDInstalls-Rev2-v6.0.1.2 directory to the USB MicroSD card/adapter (x:\boot) (this CWM will nandroid backup the SD, wipe dalvik-cache or cache, fix permissions, etc).
  8. From Windows Explorer, right click the drive letter to eject the USB MicroSD card/adapter and then insert it into your Nook Color (while it's powered off).
  9. Turn the Nook Color on and wait for Cyanogenmod to boot. Setup your google account when prompted (wifi connection required).
  10. Hold the power button down and reboot your Nook Color. Enjoy!

Please note:
At this point, you will have a stable version of Android 4.2.2 installed on your Nook Color thanks to the CyanogenMod team & the XDA community. You can stop here but I would recommend installing v6 SuperCharger, the 720p Flash & Video Patch and the Netflix Xposed mod (README 2 & README 3 below).

Sources:

Download this entire guide including source files here:

Alternatively, you can click the links in each step of this guide to download the files separately.

----

Newbie App Guide (Addendum):

If you're fairly new to Android, here are some recommended Android Apps (APKs) that will put some pep back into your Nook Color.

General Apps -
  • ES File Explorer (excellent file manager; free from Google Play)
  • Airdroid (easily transfer files from/to your NC wirelessly from your PC; no USB cable required!)
  • MX Player (think VLC but for Android; this is an excellent multimedia player supporting a wide array of video codecs)
  • Cool Tool (useful cpu, memory, battery utilization meter, etc.)
  • ZArchiver (like 7zip but for Android; very simple and handles most all file archive types automatically)
  • SD Tools (simple performance guage to easily benchmark your SD card performance)
  • Titanium Backup (popular backup application)
  • Spotimote (use this awesome app with Spotimote server & Spotify on your Windows PC to turn your Android device into a Spotify remote)
  • Gmail (not included with gapps)
  • Youtube (not included with gapps)
  • Netflix (new version from Google Play using Xposed mod or install w/o Xposed mod by downloading older version netflix-1.8.1.apk)
  • OfficeSuite Pro (works amazingly with "gesture typing" keyboard included in Android 4.2.x)

eBook Apps -
  • Calibre Companion (manage your ebook collection and easily sync your ebooks wirelessly from your PC to your Android device; Calibre Portable for Windows highly recommended)
  • Mantano Reader (PDF & EPUB support, works great with Calibre companion)
  • RepliGo PDF Reader (excellent support for PDFs featuring text resizing / reflow; it even automatically reflows multi-column pages into single pages).
  • Moon+ Reader (supports many different ebook formats including PDF in pro version)
  • FBReader and CoolReader (also worth checking out but no PDF support)

----

README 2

[Guide] v6 SuperCharger + Service.jar patching Instructions for CM 10.1.2 (simplified):
  1. Note: On Android 4.2 and newer, the "Developer options" are hidden by default. To make it available, go to "Settings" > "About tablet" and tap "Build number" seven times. Then, return to the previous screen to find the developer options.
  2. From the developer options screen, enable "Android debugging" and tap OK on the "Allow USB debugging" dialog when prompted.
  3. From your PC, install the "nookcolor-easyADB.exe" drivers.
  4. After the driver installation is complete, plug your Nook Color into your PC via USB. Do NOT "turn on USB storage" if prompted on your Nook Color.
  5. From your PC, open Windows Explorer and copy the file "v6_supercharger_for_android-update9_rc12-blackdog-63457_fix.sh" (right click > "save link as" to download this file) & the entire "supercharger_starter_kit" directory to My Computer > Portable Devices > NookColor > SD card.
  6. From your Nook Color, open the "Play Store" > search for "SManager" (free), & install it (select browse as root; superuser access - remember this choice forever).
  7. Launch SManager & enable "Mount/system as rw" from advanced options.
  8. From SManager, navigate to /storage/sdcard1/SuperCharger_Starter_Kit/ and run StartMeUp.sh as SU, then follow the prompts to install busybox & sqlite3/zipalign.
  9. Reboot your Nook Color.
  10. Now from smanager, open "v6_supercharger_for_android-update9_rc12-blackdog-63457_fix.sh" and follow prompts but don't reboot, simply press (E) to exit when prompted and proceed to next step.
  11. From your PC, navigate to the "Ultimatic_Jar_Patcher_Tools_RC7_TEST6_ALL_DEX_ALL_OSes_NO_FLASH" directory, right click "ultimatic_jar_patcher_adb.sh", select run as administrator (accept Secure USB debugging notification on Nook Color otherwise it will hang).

Sources:

Important Notes:

1. As of JB 4.2.2, you will have to tap to accept the adb secure usb debugging message that pops up on your Android device, otherwise Ultimatic_Jar_Patcher will hang after you see "daemon started successfully".
  2. Java is required on your PC; you may also need to set your Windows path variable to point to your java installation directory. On Windows 7 x64 add this to Windows environmental settings path variable - ";C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin" (without the quotes but prefixed with a semicolon).
  3. Optionally, you can also download only the Android SDK Tools from here (after extracting the .zip, you only need to run SDK Manager.exe update for Platform-tools), then replace the 3 files in the Ultimatic_Jar_Patcher_Tools directory with the three updated ADB files below (located in the android-sdk-windows\platform-tools dir):
    • adb.exe​
    • AdbWinApi.dll​
    • AdbWinUsbApi.dll​

----

Windows 7 ADB USB driver installation & troubleshooting:

1. Check windows device manager to make sure there aren't any "unknown" or "other" devices showing
  2. You should see the following listed under device manager:
    • Android Device > Android Composite ADB Device​
    • Portable Devices > (two drive letters)​
  3. If you don't see the above devices; try rebooting your PC & Nook Color and connecting to a different USB port on your computer, then disabling & re-enabling "Android debugging" on the NC under "Settings" > "{} Developer options" -
  4. From the Nook Color, go to "Settings" > "Storage" > tap the overflow menu icon (the three small vertical dots located in the top right of the display) > then tap "USB computer connection" > and check "Media device (MTP)", making sure "Mass storage" is unchecked.
  5. Now when connected via USB, the Nook Color should appear under My Computer on Windows as "Nook Color Portable Media Player" and if you double click on that you will see two partitions; one that says "Internal Storage" and the other that says "SD Card".
  6. Lastly, if none of that works, remove the following devices from device manager containing the Hardware ID "2080":
    • USB Composite Device​
    • USB Mass Storage Device​

----

ADB USB console test:

1. Click the Windows Start menu, then type "cmd" & press ctrl + enter (without quotes) to open the command prompt with administrator privileges.
  2. Type: "adb devices" (without quotes) and press enter.
  3. You should see the serial # of your Nook Color listed and the word "device" next to that if the Android Debug Bridge (ADB) connection was successful between your PC & NC (if not, make sure your path to adb.exe is correct & that the nook color USB drivers are installed properly).
  4. As of CM 10.1.2 (JB 4.2.2), you will have to tap to accept the ADB secure USB debugging message that pops up automatically on your Nook Color; otherwise the connection will fail.

----

README 3

Nook Color CM 10.1.2 720p Flash & Video Patch download & instructions:
  1. Open the Android Browser on your Nook Color and go to (XDA DDL shortlink): http://goo.gl/Nu8DW
  2. The patch file, libstagefright-omxcodec-patch-for-cm-10.1.0-encore.zip will be saved to the "Download" directory by default. Open "File Manager" and navigate there to verify the download completed successfully.
  3. Power off your Nook Color.
  4. Power on your Nook Color and hold the Nook "U" button down until you see the "Cyanoboot" menu.
  5. Use the minus volume button to scroll down to the "SD Card Alternate" option and press the Nook button again to select that option.
  6. Select "install zip from sdacard".
  7. Select "choose zip from sdcard".
  8. Scroll down and select the "Download" directory (verified in step 2).
  9. Select the libstagefright-omxcodec-patch-for-cm-10.1.0-encore.zip file.
  10. Confirm install by selecting the option "- Yes - libstagefright-omxcodec-patch-for-cm-10.1.0-en" option.
  11. You will see "Install from sdcard complete".
  12. Press and release the Power button once and once again until you see the menu option "reboot system now".
  13. Press the Nook button to select that option and wait for it to reboot. Enjoy!

Source:

Netflix Workaround
  • Netflix Xposed mod here (to download latest version of Netflix from Google Play on your Nook Color).
  • You can download the older version of Netflix 1.8.1 here directly from the web browser on your Nook Color (no mod required). Note: You must go to Settings > Security > and enable "Unknown sources" first. Then after the download is complete, open "File Manager" on your Nook and navigate to the "Download" directory and click the netflix-1.8.1.apk to install it.

Last edited:

LILLA45

Jul 4, 2012
eltrkbrd,

Thanks you, Thank you, Thank you. The level of detail in your instructions was just what I needed!
I'm a relative newbie to installing CM, but have good technical skills in Windows.

I installed CM 7.2 Stable when it first came out, and now CM 10.1.2 Stable - I started over from scratch.
I am l-o-v-i-n-g CM 10.1.2 Stable. It has breathed new life into my Nook Color.
I used a 16GB Sandisk Class 4 card (one of the cards recommended by leapinlar), and the install went very smoothly.

I did Readme 1 and Readme 3.
For now I skipped Readme 2 (V6 Supercharger ...). If I find I need it, I will come back and use your instructions.

I also installed leapinlar's "sdboot script", which he recommends in his Guide. It doesn't seem to be included in your instructions.
[GUIDE] Nook Color Updated Installation Instructions for CM7/CM9/CM10/CM10.1 on SD

Lilla

eltrkbrd

Jan 11, 2008
Leapinlar's sdboot script advice + v6 SuperCharger Minfree & SD Speed Tweak values?

I also installed leapinlar's "sdboot script", which he recommends in his Guide. It doesn't seem to be included in your instructions.
[GUIDE] Nook Color Updated Installation Instructions for CM7/CM9/CM10/CM10.1 on SD

Lilla

Hi Lilla,

I'm thrilled you've found the guide I wrote useful and I really appreciate your feedback! Honestly though, I couldn't have accomplished any of it without standing on the shoulders of giants here in the XDA forums.

Thanks for the tip about leapinlar's sdboot script; I'm going to give that a shot! I really like the idea of being able to update CM more easily from SD without having to connect to a PC first.

I wonder, would it be possible to flash completely different ROMS using that method? For example, the latest Chameleon OS 4.2.2 ROM looks very interesting... What are your thoughts on that?

I'm using a 16GB Sandisk C4 MicroSD in my Nook Color too. Supposedly, the V6 Supercharger script makes a substantial difference and it also has a SD Speed tweak option; I've set mine for 2048 based on what I've read but couldn't find any posts on V6 SuperCharger settings specifically optimized for the NC running off SD.

I was able to add a SManager widget to the home screen for V6 by bringing up the app drawer from the launcher and selecting it from one of the many widgets screens. I noticed it takes a few minutes after rebooting for the V6 boot scripts to run, otherwise V6 Supercharger will only report 50% supercharged when running the widget instead of 100%. This was driving me crazy for a bit because I thought it wasn't working when it fact it was; just a bit delayed...

Is there any specific reason you haven't installed V6 SuperCharger yet? I have read some reports of the placebo effect in regards and to be honest, I haven't tried stock CM 10.1.2 enough to know the difference with or without it. It was initially a real pain to setup on CM 10.1.2 / JB 4.2.2 (in CM 7.2 it was easy) but I have included the latest ADB files in my attached 299MB download so running the ultimatic_jar_patcher_adb.sh (in Step 11 of README 2) should work just fine without having to download the Android SDK and all that jazz...

Would anyone running V6 SuperCharger on their NC care to chime in what the optimal Minfree & SD speed tweak values are?

Kind Regards,
Eltrkbrd

:victory:

Last edited:

LILLA45

Jul 4, 2012
Readme 2
3.If you don't see the above devices; try rebooting your PC & Nook Color and connecting to a different USB port on your computer, then disabling & re-enabling "Android debugging" on the NC under "Settings" > "{} Developer options" -

Consider: Regarding "Settings > {} Developer options" (above), you might want to include the following (or similar) wording.

Note: On Android 4.2 and newer, Developer options is hidden by default. To make it available, go to Settings > About tablet and tap Build number seven times. Return to the previous screen to find Developer options.

I wonder, would it be possible to flash completely different ROMS using that method? For example, the latest Chameleon OS 4.2.2 ROM looks very interesting... What are your thoughts on that?
I have no experience with using this method, so hopefully someone with experience will answer this question for both of us.

Is there any specific reason you haven't installed V6 SuperCharger yet?
I want to get the feel of how things work without it, so that if/when I do install it, I can better access the benefit it is providing.

Again, thank you for your contribution. It complements what Leapinlar has done. I am a BIG fan/follower of Leapinlar's posts/advise.

Lilla

Last edited:

eltrkbrd

Jan 11, 2008
Guide suggestion & battery life on NC CM10.1.2

Consider: Regarding "Settings > {} Developer options" (above), you might want to include the following (or similar) wording.

Note: On Android 4.2 and newer, Developer options is hidden by default. To make it available, go to Settings > About tablet and tap Build number seven times. Return to the previous screen to find Developer options.
Lilla

Thanks for your suggestion; instructions updated! :)

Out of curiosity, what kind of battery life are you getting on your Nook Color running CM 10.1.2? For example, how many hours do you get while it's awake, with the screen on and WiFi enabled, vs. when it's in deep sleep?

Something is draining my NC if I put it to sleep with WiFi enabled.

For example, looking at "Partial Wakelocks"; "WeatherUpdateService" seems to be hogging up a lot of my battery...

BetterBatteryStats is available free from here and will assist with battery drain issues:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1179809

Kind Regards,
Eltrkbrd

Last edited:

LILLA45

Jul 4, 2012
Out of curiosity, what kind of battery life are you getting on your Nook Color running CM 10.1.2? For example, how many hours do you get while it's awake, with the screen on and WiFi enabled, vs. when it's in deep sleep?

Something is draining my NC if I put it to sleep with WiFi enabled.

For example, looking at "Partial Wakelocks"; "WeatherUpdateService" seems to be hogging up a lot of my battery...

BetterBatteryStats is available free from here and will assist with battery drain issues:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1179809

I am having a similar battery draining issue. I installed BBS (thanks for link), next I need to read up on how to use it.

In an attempt to minimize things that use the battery I have done this...
o I may experiment with this setting, but am probably more comfortable with using default here. I'm concerned that frequent connects/disconnects from the router might be problematic, especially if you do not have a static IP address assigned to your device in the router.
Settings > Wireless & Networks > Wi-Fi > Advanced. Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep: Only when plugged in (def=Always).
o Settings > Interface > Launcher. Homescreen. Disable Show Outlines. This has nothing to do with battery, but looks better to me.
o Settings > Interface > Lock screen. Screen Security. Disable Vibrate.
o Settings > Interface > Lock screen (or System). Clock widget. Disable Weather panel. Otherwise, since I keep location access off most of the time, weather is reported as a question mark which is ugly.
o Settings > Device > Sound. Disable these: Touch sounds, Screen lock sound, Volume Adj sound, Volume rocker music controls.
o Settings > Personal > Location access. Access to my location: Off. If I am going to run something that needs location, I will first temporarily turn this On.
o Settings > Personal > Language & input. Disable Google voice typing. Not needed since Nook Color doesn't have a microphone.
o Settings > Personal > Language & input. Voice Search: Disable all related items.
o Settings > Accounts > Email > Account settings > name@centurytel.net. Inbox check frequency: Everyday (vs.Every X min).
o Settings > Accounts > Google. Uncheck Sync for App Data, Browser, Calendar, Contacts, People - I don't use these. I left Sync for Drive checked.
Web history: Off; Personal results: Off
o Settings > Accounts > Outlook.com > Account setting. Sync settings. Enable push: Disable. Frequency: manually.
o I Disabled automatic updating for most Apps. To do this, open Play Store app. Click down arrow. Do the following for each app you want to change.
In left column, click on the app. In right column, uncheck "Allow automatic updating" box.
Tip. If you are in portrait mode, you need to switch to landscape mode, otherwise you will not see this box.

With the above settings I am getting about 10-13% battery drain per hour with some light usage.

During the following tests there was no user activity.
Test #1. Over a 12 hr period, with WiFi on, I lost about 9% drop in battery power.
Test #2. Over a 12 hr period, with WiFi off (vs turning Airport mode on), I lost about 4% in battery power.
Test #3. Over a 12 hr period, with Airport mode on (vs WiFi only off), I lost about 2% in battery power.

CONCLUSION 1: In the Guide linked below, I read that it is more affective to turn Airport mode on than to turn WiFi off, and Test #2 and Test #3 above definitely support this.

CONCLUSION 2: It appears that when WiFi is on, something is preventing my device from deep sleep. I am using BBS to try to understand/minimize/resolve this issue.

Tip. I am finding the following resource very helpful for working with BBS:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1827676
[GUIDE] The Total Newb's Guide to Wakelocks
A Comprehensive (but not by any means definitive) Guide to Wakelocks
Note/Lilla. Read posts 1,2,3 and 7.

Lilla

Last edited:

eltrkbrd

Jan 11, 2008
Battery optimization on Nook Color

Thanks for sharing your battery saving tips; especially the link on the XDA Wakelock guide; I'm digging through it now!

I also have turned off "Location access". How did you set yours to "Enabled only when needed"?

Also how did you remove the google voice search / services?

Apparently there's no way to remove the Google search widget from the home screen without switching launchers. I would like to just disable the microphone icon / feature altogether but that doesn't seem like an option.

I went to settings > language & input > keyboard & input methods and disabled "google voice typing".

Then I went to Settings > Apps > All and scrolled down to "com.google.android.voicesearch". From there I tapped "Clear data" and then "disable".

I see what you mean by airplane mode; I tried that initially and figured I didn't need it after changing the advanced wifi sleep option but it seems most apps play nicer with it on regarding sync.

For example, BBS shows WeatherUpdateService (com.cyanogenmod.lockclock.clock) with a partial wakelock of over 1.5 hours (out of 9 hours)! Do you have that issue on your NC?

----

These settings made a huge difference in battery drain during deep sleep on my NC:

Set Wi-Fi to automatically turn off during sleep:
Under Settings > Wi-Fi > Advanced -
  1. Uncheck "network notification"
  2. Set "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep" to "only when plugged in"
  3. Check "Wi-Fi optimization"

Change home screen clock widget update from 15 mins (default) to every 8 hours:
Under Settings > Lock screen (or System) > Clock widget > Weather panel -
  1. Set "Update interval" to "8 hours"
  2. Check "Use custom location" (I entered my City & State manually here)

Google Account sync set to manual:
  • Settings > Accounts > Google > Uncheck Sync for App Data, Browser, Calendar, Contacts, Gmail and People details (recheck & uncheck to manually sync from here).
  • Note: You can also sync Google services, such as contacts and calendars, in their own dedicated apps. You can also sync Gmail manually from your inbox by pressing "Menu", then "Refresh."

----

Of course, screen brightness and processor utilization are two major factors.

Under Settings > Performance > Processor, I have Minimum CPU set for 300 MHz & Maximum CPU set for 800 MHz with "Set on boot" checked.

I'm still monitoring the battery drain; especially while awake as there appears to be something hogging my battery. I suspect WiFi and/or certain applications that I'm using over the LAN/WAN to be the cause.

Here are some Android Battery Saver Apps I found to aid with that:

Greenify -

Note: Greenify saves battery by reducing wakelocks and standby power usage. It hibernates apps that persistently run in the background; polling the Internet, pushing notifications, etc thereby preventing them from opening via wakelocks and alarms which task killers alone cannot.

Wake Lock Detector (simplified version of BBS) -

Deep Sleep Battery Saver -

One Power Guard -

Here are some useful guides in regards:

Kind Regards,
Eltrkbrd

I am having a similar battery draining issue. I installed BBS (thanks for link), next I need to read up on how to use it.

In an attempt to minimize things that use the battery I have done this...
o Disabled location access (Settings > Location access). Set to Enabled only when needed.
o Set mail to Fetch manually (vs. Push)
o Disabled automatic updating of most Apps.
o Disabled items under Settings > Voice Search. Not needs since Nook Color doesn't have a microphone.
o Settings > Sounds. Disabled these: Touch sounds, Screen lock sound, Volume Adj sound, Volume rocker music controls.

With the above settings I am getting about 10-13% battery drain per hour with some light usage.

Overnight Test #1. Over an 8 hr period, with WiFi on, I lost about 6% drop in battery power.
Overnight Test #2. Over a 12 hr period, with Airport mode on, I lost about 2%. FYI, I read that it is more affective to turn Airport mode on than to turn WiFi off.
Overnight Test #3. Tonight I will test by turning WiFi off (vs turning Airport mode on).

CONCLUSION: It appears that WiFi is preventing my device from deep sleep. I am using BBS to try to understand/minimize/resolve this issue.

Tip. I am finding the following resource very helpful for working with BBS:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1827676
[GUIDE] The Total Newb's Guide to Wakelocks
A Comprehensive (but not by any means definitive) Guide to Wakelocks
Note/Lilla. Read posts 1,2,3 and 7.

Lilla

Last edited:

LILLA45

Jul 4, 2012
I also have turned off "Location access". How did you set yours to "Enabled only when needed"?
I simply return to settings and make the change manually. I refined the wording in my original post to clarify this.

Also how did you remove the google voice search / services?
I simply disabled it, I did not remove it.
o Settings > Personal > Language & input. Voice Search: Disable all related items.

Apparently there's no way to remove the Google search widget from the home screen without switching launchers.
You can try this... o Settings > Interface > Launcher. Homescreen. Disable Search Bar. This will remove the left sidebar where Google search icon and microphone icon are normally displayed. I also like to Disable Show Outlines, it looks better to me. The screen looks a little bare to me without the left sidebar, so I added it back. There doesn't seem to be a way to use the space for anything else, unless I'm missing something.

I would like to just disable the microphone icon / feature altogether but that doesn't seem like an option.
I haven't seen such an option either.

I went to settings > language & input > keyboard & input methods and disabled "google voice typing".
I did the same. I added it to my list of setting changes in my original post.

Then I went to Settings > Apps > All and scrolled down to "com.google.android.voicesearch". From there I tapped "Clear data" and then "disable".
I don't see this, probably because I already disabled Voice Search in settings.

I see what you mean by airplane mode; I tried that initially and figured I didn't need it after changing the advanced wifi sleep option but it seems most apps play nicer with it on regarding sync.
Yes, this is a good setting. I'm so glad to have learned about it. Over a 12 hour period (with device left untouched) I experienced a 4% battery loss with WiFi off, vs. a 2% battery loss with Airplane mode on. So, a 50% difference in favor of using Airplane mode.

For example, BBS shows WeatherUpdateService (com.cyanogenmod.lockclock.clock) with a partial wakelock of over 1.5 hours (out of 9 hours)! Do you have that issue on your NC?
No I don't have that, probably because I disabled location services, and removed weather panel from my lock screen and my homepage.

Thank you for sharing your settings and resource list. I think the Wi-Fi setting was an especially good find! Seems like it should help. I added it.

I updated my settings in my original post to reflect what I am currently using, in case that might be helpful.

Last edited:

affirmwealth

Dec 23, 2012
I found this thread while searching for a way to speed up my Nook Color.

Right now I have an SD Card with CM 10.1 on it. It works but is painfully slow. Will this help?

I was going to scrap the SD card and just root my Nook Color but I would prefer not to...at least for now.

medt123

Sep 2, 2013
Nook HD+ 9""

I followed your guide and everything worked flawlessly a while ago. THANKS a lot

But I got B&N Nook 9" HD+ yesterday and I am wondering if there is similar guide for it as well (although I have Play Store App I cannot use all of my apps on Nook HD+).

Any advice?

Thanks

vashslayar

Sep 13, 2013
Lost almost all my microSD's space in formatting. Help?

Hello, when using the SD formatted suggested, it shrunk my Sandisk microSDHC 16gb Class 6 available data max from 14.GB to 247MB, which makes it impossible to install all the files needed to upgrade. Any help with fixing this problem or do I have to go and get a new microSD?

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
Hello, when using the SD formatted suggested, it shrunk my Sandisk microSDHC 16gb Class 6 available data max from 14.GB to 247MB, which makes it impossible to install all the files needed to upgrade. Any help with fixing this problem or do I have to go and get a new microSD?
That is the size it is supposed to be. That is not big enough for the zips you want to flash?

Sent from my Nook HD+ running CM10.1 on emmc.

vashslayar

Sep 13, 2013
RE:

That is the size it is supposed to be. That is not big enough for the zips you want to flash?

Yes, and that is the problem. I am simply trying to do as the directions say, but there doesn't seem to be enough room. I downloaded the required files via the hyperlinks, so perhaps they aren't the right files? Perhaps I am installing the gaaps and encore to the wrong part of the SD (tried to install all files to SD when it was now called "boot," though the directions say to simply install the alt)?

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
Yes, and that is the problem. I am simply trying to do as the directions say, but there doesn't seem to be enough room. I downloaded the required files via the hyperlinks, so perhaps they aren't the right files? Perhaps I am installing the gaaps and encore to the wrong part of the SD (tried to install all files to SD when it was now called "boot," though the directions say to simply install the alt)?
You don't say what the files are or how large they are. Try doing just the rom and flash that followed by doing the gapps next. They must be really large to exceed 247MB.

Edit: I see what is wrong here. You are trying to put too many files on the SD. You should only be putting the CM zip and gapps on there, not the whole content of the 299MB zip.

BTW, the author copied a lot of these instructions and files from my original SD installation thread without giving me much credit other than linking my original posts. He did add the V6 supercharger installation instructions which my thread does not have. Go to my thread linked in my signature for the original SD instructions.

Last edited:

vashslayar

Sep 13, 2013
Thanks!

You don't say what the files are or how large they are. Try doing just the rom and flash that followed by doing the gapps next. They must be really large to exceed 247MB.

Edit: I see what is wrong here. You are trying to put too many files on the SD. You should only be putting the CM zip and gapps on there, not the whole content of the 299MB zip.

BTW, the author copied a lot of these instructions and files from my original SD installation thread without giving me much credit other than linking my original posts. He did add the V6 supercharger installation instructions which my thread does not have. Go to my thread linked in my signature for the original SD instructions.

Your version of installation seems to have rectified the problem, thank you! The problem I have been trying to fix by this update still persists, though. Whenever I try to use anything Google-based, the program simply crashes instantly. Play, Gmail and whatnot are all affected. When I open up running apps, it shows they are still active, yet they just quit again if I try to open them. Oh well, one problem at a time, I suppose. Thank you again!

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
Your version of installation seems to have rectified the problem, thank you! The problem I have been trying to fix by this update still persists, though. Whenever I try to use anything Google-based, the program simply crashes instantly. Play, Gmail and whatnot are all affected. When I open up running apps, it shows they are still active, yet they just quit again if I try to open them. Oh well, one problem at a time, I suppose. Thank you again!
Make sure the version of gapps matches the ROM you flashed.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 2 using XDA Premium

neo2020

Apr 21, 2009
cant install cm mod

I have followed the instructions to a t and my nook color just boots normally. I am using a 2gb sd formated with rom and gapps on it as well as the other 2 files and when I boot the nook with sd installed it never boots cm?

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
I have followed the instructions to a t and my nook color just boots normally. I am using a 2gb sd formated with rom and gapps on it as well as the other 2 files and when I boot the nook with sd installed it never boots cm?
Following these simplified instructions is sometimes not enough.

Sometimes it is difficult to make a bootable SD so that it will actually boot in a Nook Color. See my Nook Color Tips thread linked in my signature and read item A9 for some ideas.

Last edited:

DickTater

Jun 29, 2013
SDCard/Adapter not recognized after writing image

"write the generic-sdcard-v1.3-CM7-9-10-10.1-larger-Rev6.img file to the formatted MicroSD card. Make sure you choose the correct drive letter otherwise you will erase the wrong drive! Eject the USB MicroSD card/adapter from the PC and reinsert it back into the PC (select "continue without scanning" if prompted by Windows)"

Writing the image seemed to go fine. But when I reinserted the USB MicroSD card/adapter back into the PC, it does not recognize it. It cannot see it as a drive. Now I cannot even reformat the MicroSD card and start over.
Any ideas?

DizzyDen

Feb 7, 2011
Assuming you're talking about in windows... go into Administrative Tools... Computer Management... Storage... Disk Management and see if the drive is listed there with no drive letter assigned. If it is... select the first partition... right click... change drive letter and assign a drive letter for it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This all started with the hell I went through trying to get V6 Supercharger 100% on my NC running 10.1.2 off SD (services.jar patch wasn't working). This is a simplified guide made by an Android newbie for other newbies. I've tried to consolidate everything into simplified instructions and a single post.

Offline, I have everything broken up into 3 folders including all the installation files and source links; very neatly organized - even my technically challenged, significant other could follow these steps...

Everything all zipped up is about 299 MB (see download link below). Simply download and extract that to your Windows PC, then open and follow the readme.txt files.

I'll clean this post up as time allows. This is just my small way of giving back.

Thanks to all the masters here in the XDA community; it's a far reach for us lowly users... ;)

Your feedback and suggestions are appreciated.

Kind Regards,
    ~Eltrkbrd

README 1

[Guide] Nook Color Installation Instructions for CM 10.1.2 on SD (simplified):
    1. Install the SDFormatter software on Windows.
    2. Insert your USB MicroSD card adapter (with Sandisk Class 4 MicroSD inserted) into your PC.
    3. Format MicroSD with SDFormatter.
    4. Use Win32DiskImager.exe to write the generic-sdcard-v1.3-CM7-9-10-10.1-larger-Rev6.img file to the formatted MicroSD card. Make sure you choose the correct drive letter otherwise you will erase the wrong drive!
    5. Eject the USB MicroSD card/adapter from the PC and reinsert it back into the PC (select "continue without scanning" if prompted by Windows).
    6. Use Windows Explorer and copy both the cm-10.1.2-encore.zip & gapps-jb-20130301-signed.zip files to microsd (this installs cyanogenmod android rom & google apps).
    7. Copy both the uAltImg & uAltRam files from the AlternateCWM-SDInstalls-Rev2-v6.0.1.2 directory to the USB MicroSD card/adapter (x:\boot) (this CWM will nandroid backup the SD, wipe dalvik-cache or cache, fix permissions, etc).
    8. From Windows Explorer, right click the drive letter to eject the USB MicroSD card/adapter and then insert it into your Nook Color (while it's powered off).
    9. Turn the Nook Color on and wait for Cyanogenmod to boot. Setup your google account when prompted (wifi connection required).
    10. Hold the power button down and reboot your Nook Color. Enjoy!

Please note:
    At this point, you will have a stable version of Android 4.2.2 installed on your Nook Color thanks to the CyanogenMod team & the XDA community. You can stop here but I would recommend installing v6 SuperCharger, the 720p Flash & Video Patch and the Netflix Xposed mod (README 2 & README 3 below).

Sources:

Download this entire guide including source files here:

Alternatively, you can click the links in each step of this guide to download the files separately.

----

Newbie App Guide (Addendum):

If you're fairly new to Android, here are some recommended Android Apps (APKs) that will put some pep back into your Nook Color.

General Apps -
    • ES File Explorer (excellent file manager; free from Google Play)
    • Airdroid (easily transfer files from/to your NC wirelessly from your PC; no USB cable required!)
    • MX Player (think VLC but for Android; this is an excellent multimedia player supporting a wide array of video codecs)
    • Cool Tool (useful cpu, memory, battery utilization meter, etc.)
    • ZArchiver (like 7zip but for Android; very simple and handles most all file archive types automatically)
    • SD Tools (simple performance guage to easily benchmark your SD card performance)
    • Titanium Backup (popular backup application)
    • Spotimote (use this awesome app with Spotimote server & Spotify on your Windows PC to turn your Android device into a Spotify remote)
    • Gmail (not included with gapps)
    • Youtube (not included with gapps)
    • Netflix (new version from Google Play using Xposed mod or install w/o Xposed mod by downloading older version netflix-1.8.1.apk)
    • OfficeSuite Pro (works amazingly with "gesture typing" keyboard included in Android 4.2.x)

eBook Apps -
    • Calibre Companion (manage your ebook collection and easily sync your ebooks wirelessly from your PC to your Android device; Calibre Portable for Windows highly recommended)
    • Mantano Reader (PDF & EPUB support, works great with Calibre companion)
    • RepliGo PDF Reader (excellent support for PDFs featuring text resizing / reflow; it even automatically reflows multi-column pages into single pages).
    • Moon+ Reader (supports many different ebook formats including PDF in pro version)
    • FBReader and CoolReader (also worth checking out but no PDF support)

----

README 2

[Guide] v6 SuperCharger + Service.jar patching Instructions for CM 10.1.2 (simplified):
    1. Note: On Android 4.2 and newer, the "Developer options" are hidden by default. To make it available, go to "Settings" > "About tablet" and tap "Build number" seven times. Then, return to the previous screen to find the developer options.
    2. From the developer options screen, enable "Android debugging" and tap OK on the "Allow USB debugging" dialog when prompted.
    3. From your PC, install the "nookcolor-easyADB.exe" drivers.
    4. After the driver installation is complete, plug your Nook Color into your PC via USB. Do NOT "turn on USB storage" if prompted on your Nook Color.
    5. From your PC, open Windows Explorer and copy the file "v6_supercharger_for_android-update9_rc12-blackdog-63457_fix.sh" (right click > "save link as" to download this file) & the entire "supercharger_starter_kit" directory to My Computer > Portable Devices > NookColor > SD card.
    6. From your Nook Color, open the "Play Store" > search for "SManager" (free), & install it (select browse as root; superuser access - remember this choice forever).
    7. Launch SManager & enable "Mount/system as rw" from advanced options.
    8. From SManager, navigate to /storage/sdcard1/SuperCharger_Starter_Kit/ and run StartMeUp.sh as SU, then follow the prompts to install busybox & sqlite3/zipalign.
    9. Reboot your Nook Color.
    10. Now from smanager, open "v6_supercharger_for_android-update9_rc12-blackdog-63457_fix.sh" and follow prompts but don't reboot, simply press (E) to exit when prompted and proceed to next step.
    11. From your PC, navigate to the "Ultimatic_Jar_Patcher_Tools_RC7_TEST6_ALL_DEX_ALL_OSes_NO_FLASH" directory, right click "ultimatic_jar_patcher_adb.sh", select run as administrator (accept Secure USB debugging notification on Nook Color otherwise it will hang).

Sources:

Important Notes:

1. As of JB 4.2.2, you will have to tap to accept the adb secure usb debugging message that pops up on your Android device, otherwise Ultimatic_Jar_Patcher will hang after you see "daemon started successfully".
    2. Java is required on your PC; you may also need to set your Windows path variable to point to your java installation directory. On Windows 7 x64 add this to Windows environmental settings path variable - ";C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin" (without the quotes but prefixed with a semicolon).
    3. Optionally, you can also download only the Android SDK Tools from here (after extracting the .zip, you only need to run SDK Manager.exe update for Platform-tools), then replace the 3 files in the Ultimatic_Jar_Patcher_Tools directory with the three updated ADB files below (located in the android-sdk-windows\platform-tools dir):
      • adb.exe​
      • AdbWinApi.dll​
      • AdbWinUsbApi.dll​

----

Windows 7 ADB USB driver installation & troubleshooting:

1. Check windows device manager to make sure there aren't any "unknown" or "other" devices showing
    2. You should see the following listed under device manager:
      • Android Device > Android Composite ADB Device​
      • Portable Devices > (two drive letters)​
    3. If you don't see the above devices; try rebooting your PC & Nook Color and connecting to a different USB port on your computer, then disabling & re-enabling "Android debugging" on the NC under "Settings" > "{} Developer options" -
    4. From the Nook Color, go to "Settings" > "Storage" > tap the overflow menu icon (the three small vertical dots located in the top right of the display) > then tap "USB computer connection" > and check "Media device (MTP)", making sure "Mass storage" is unchecked.
    5. Now when connected via USB, the Nook Color should appear under My Computer on Windows as "Nook Color Portable Media Player" and if you double click on that you will see two partitions; one that says "Internal Storage" and the other that says "SD Card".
    6. Lastly, if none of that works, remove the following devices from device manager containing the Hardware ID "2080":
      • USB Composite Device​
      • USB Mass Storage Device​

----

ADB USB console test:

1. Click the Windows Start menu, then type "cmd" & press ctrl + enter (without quotes) to open the command prompt with administrator privileges.
    2. Type: "adb devices" (without quotes) and press enter.
    3. You should see the serial # of your Nook Color listed and the word "device" next to that if the Android Debug Bridge (ADB) connection was successful between your PC & NC (if not, make sure your path to adb.exe is correct & that the nook color USB drivers are installed properly).
    4. As of CM 10.1.2 (JB 4.2.2), you will have to tap to accept the ADB secure USB debugging message that pops up automatically on your Nook Color; otherwise the connection will fail.

----

README 3

Nook Color CM 10.1.2 720p Flash & Video Patch download & instructions:
    1. Open the Android Browser on your Nook Color and go to (XDA DDL shortlink): http://goo.gl/Nu8DW
    2. The patch file, libstagefright-omxcodec-patch-for-cm-10.1.0-encore.zip will be saved to the "Download" directory by default. Open "File Manager" and navigate there to verify the download completed successfully.
    3. Power off your Nook Color.
    4. Power on your Nook Color and hold the Nook "U" button down until you see the "Cyanoboot" menu.
    5. Use the minus volume button to scroll down to the "SD Card Alternate" option and press the Nook button again to select that option.
    6. Select "install zip from sdacard".
    7. Select "choose zip from sdcard".
    8. Scroll down and select the "Download" directory (verified in step 2).
    9. Select the libstagefright-omxcodec-patch-for-cm-10.1.0-encore.zip file.
    10. Confirm install by selecting the option "- Yes - libstagefright-omxcodec-patch-for-cm-10.1.0-en" option.
    11. You will see "Install from sdcard complete".
    12. Press and release the Power button once and once again until you see the menu option "reboot system now".
    13. Press the Nook button to select that option and wait for it to reboot. Enjoy!

Source:

Netflix Workaround
    • Netflix Xposed mod here (to download latest version of Netflix from Google Play on your Nook Color).
    • You can download the older version of Netflix 1.8.1 here directly from the web browser on your Nook Color (no mod required). Note: You must go to Settings > Security > and enable "Unknown sources" first. Then after the download is complete, open "File Manager" on your Nook and navigate to the "Download" directory and click the netflix-1.8.1.apk to install it.
    Thanks

Thanks for the simplified instructions for installing android on my nook Color They are certified idiot proof. I supplied the nook and the idiot and it works perfectly