Post Reply Email Thread
17th September 2013, 08:12 PM |#6841  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Ottawa/Gatineau, Canada
Thanks Meter: 4,140

Donate to Me
More
Spirit Free Sept 18: http://d-h.st/H4x

Also available in the beta groups for Spirit Unlocked and Light, and likely to be promoted to "production" soon.

- Remove a "feature" I accidentally left enabled in the September 7 Free version. I shouldn't discuss this feature publicly, but if I told you, you'd want to run this newer version.

- Disable the disablement of Huawei and ZTE devices.

- Disable Menu-> Test-> Email-> Logs.

The first is because I'm not providing detailed technical support for Unlocked or Light anymore, so I "don't care" (Yeah, I do care, but I can't let myself be bogged down anymore with Spirit1.)

The second is also due to stopping detailed tech support. Hopefully the pirate debug logs will decrease.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to mikereidis For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mikereidis Ad-Free

17th September 2013, 08:24 PM |#6842  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaratas

Thanks, i bought a copy and tried it but it says the block is still in place. (Version on Google Play 2013_09_07)

I understand this. Take your time off, i am in no position to demand a thing. I will check this thread regularly for updates.

It's in the beta: https://plus.google.com/communities/...70995675059664

And will be in "production" soon.
The Following User Says Thank You to mikereidis For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mikereidis Ad-Free
17th September 2013, 08:31 PM |#6843  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunker88

So far its only been the original Galaxy S that had a chance of possible hardware damage. For the Galaxy S3 you should be fine, worst case it doesn't work and you uninstall.

Thanks.

Yes, for GT-I9000 only.

But it's not a problem on stock or stock derived ROMs on which the Samsung FM app runs.

And it's not a problem on CM7 or similar Android 2.3 ROMs that support the old CM FM app.

But, since March 23, 6 months ago, I think only 1 person has claimed speaker damage when using digital audio mode.

1 report every 6 months is much better than 1 per month or per week, which are both frequencies previously seen, as my attempts at workarounds apparently made progress.

But then again, a LOT of people have moved on from GT-I9000 now, after 3.4 Galaxy Sx generations.
The Following User Says Thank You to mikereidis For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mikereidis Ad-Free
17th September 2013, 09:05 PM |#6844  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Galaxy S2 Omega v12 AOKP milestone-1 (4.2.2)
i installed Spirit FM unlocked on my Omega v12 AOKP milestone-1 Galaxy S2

couldn't get the audio to work with any of the choices, not even galaxy S2 test

any hint or i should forget & desinstall???

on my stock 4.1.2, FM radio is native and works fine (everyday use) so i miss it on my new rom
18th September 2013, 05:40 AM |#6845  
Flag Delhi,India
Thanks Meter: 264

More
Mike sir,
Happy vocation.
With latest version on lg optimus g pro it starts but no audio.
Anyway, just to inform not to bother.
Happy to get informed over spirit 2. Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 4
18th September 2013, 09:10 PM |#6846  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lagrossebete

i installed Spirit FM unlocked on my Omega v12 AOKP milestone-1 Galaxy S2

couldn't get the audio to work with any of the choices, not even galaxy S2 test

any hint or i should forget & desinstall???

on my stock 4.1.2, FM radio is native and works fine (everyday use) so i miss it on my new rom

For GT-I9100 try "Digital Auto".

If nothing works, and Spirit has SU, I think there is something unusual about the audio. GT-I9100 is still the most popular phone buying Unlocked and gets LOTS of testing by me and others.
19th September 2013, 12:30 AM |#6847  
Flag McMinnville, TN
Thanks Meter: 24

More
Mike just to let you know the Casio Commando 4G (on Verizon Wireless) works with the FM chip (Qualcomm MSM8960) in digital mode, using the Digital OneXL/S/Sony profile, also works with Digital Auto profile in Spirit. The phone is rooted and needs root. App WILL work unrooted but gives no audio, however RDS and signal meter displays. Maybe even Spirit 2 can work. This may be the only known Verizon phone to support digital FM chipset. Only current issue is with the stock app as well as Spirit is auto muting with low signal. Hope we can work on a fix when you return from your break.

Thanks

Sent from my Casio Commando 4G with the XDA App.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1379546992783.jpg
Views:	2183
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	2267016  
19th September 2013, 03:02 PM |#6848  
Flag Maribor
Thanks Meter: 216

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereidis

I never really took a proper break last time.

This time for real.

It was a joke because of this.

Sent from my LG-P760 using Tapatalk 2
19th September 2013, 10:01 PM |#6849  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmguy

Mike just to let you know the Casio Commando 4G (on Verizon Wireless) works with the FM chip (Qualcomm MSM8960) in digital mode, using the Digital OneXL/S/Sony profile, also works with Digital Auto profile in Spirit. The phone is rooted and needs root. App WILL work unrooted but gives no audio, however RDS and signal meter displays. Maybe even Spirit 2 can work. This may be the only known Verizon phone to support digital FM chipset. Only current issue is with the stock app as well as Spirit is auto muting with low signal. Hope we can work on a fix when you return from your break.

Thanks

MSM8960 is the SOC / System on Chip / CPU etc. Spirit doesn't care about the SOC, assuming it's ARM (don't support Intel any more) and assuming you don't have one of the broken versions of Spirit that won't run on older ARMv6 SOCs.

FM/BT/WiFi combo chip is Qualcomm WCN3660 and audio is Qualcomm WDC9310 or similar. These 2 chips are what Spirit needs to support a device.

Did you try many Audio Methods while unrooted ? Most likely to work is "Sony/QC Intent" which uses a Qualcomm defined Intent that their sample FM apps use.

If you're looking for "fun" you can try setting Digital-> Sample Rate to 44101. On these chips the default 44100 sample rate gets converted to 22050 and 44101 actually sets it to a real 44100.

If the audio gets weird, you have the problem that made me change it to 22050 in the first place. Sony Z didn't have this problem and could use 44101 = 44100.

Sometimes the problem can be fixed, or results just changed, by setting AF-> AF Period to something other than the default 500. This changes the digital audio buffer size, and it can be changed while FM is running for immediate feedback.

The default AF Period of 500 turns into a buffer size of 320 bytes, which is 160 audio samples, or in stereo, 80 samples. Using multiples of 80 or 320 seems to work best.

Small buffer sizes can result in audio dropouts. Large sizes will result in a lot of audio delay; change the frequency and it takes a while for audio to catch up.

On every other audio chip, the default buffer size is 4096 bytes, which seems a good tradeoff.

At one time I tried sample rates of 48000 and 96000; I don't recall if that worked, but every device is supposed to support 44100, so that's the Spirit default. I think the Qualcomm audio chip was the only one I saw that could be changed from 44.1K, but the whole 22050 Hz and 320 byte hacks have kept me from being happy about this chip.
19th September 2013, 10:11 PM |#6850  
Flag McMinnville, TN
Thanks Meter: 24

More
Quote:

MSM8960 is the SOC / System on Chip / CPU etc. Spirit doesn't care about the SOC, assuming it's ARM (don't support Intel any more) and assuming you don't have one of the broken versions of Spirit that won't run on older ARMv6 SOCs.

FM/BT/WiFi combo chip is Qualcomm WCN3660 and audio is Qualcomm WDC9310 or similar. These 2 chips are what Spirit needs to support a device.

Did you try many Audio Methods while unrooted ? Most likely to work is "Sony/QC Intent" which uses a Qualcomm defined Intent that their sample FM apps use.

If you're looking for "fun" you can try setting Digital-> Sample Rate to 44101. On these chips the default 44100 sample rate gets converted to 22050 and 44101 actually sets it to a real 44100.

If the audio gets weird, you have the problem that made me change it to 22050 in the first place. Sony Z didn't have this problem and could use 44101 = 44100.

Sometimes the problem can be fixed, or results just changed, by setting AF-> AF Period to something other than the default 500. This changes the digital audio buffer size, and it can be changed while FM is running for immediate feedback.

The default AF Period of 500 turns into a buffer size of 320 bytes, which is 160 audio samples, or in stereo, 80 samples. Using multiples of 80 or 320 seems to work best.

Small buffer sizes can result in audio dropouts. Large sizes will result in a lot of audio delay; change the frequency and it takes a while for audio to catch up.

On every other audio chip, the default buffer size is 4096 bytes, which seems a good tradeoff.

At one time I tried sample rates of 48000 and 96000; I don't recall if that worked, but every device is supposed to support 44100, so that's the Spirit default. I think the Qualcomm audio chip was the only one I saw that could be changed from 44.1K, but the whole 22050 Hz and 320 byte hacks have kept me from being happy about this chip.

You are right, I quoted the WRONG chip it's the BT Chip Qualcomm WCN3660. I tried digital 44101 it worked fine no issues at all. Still that darn mute - low signal thing rears it's head. If I could fix that I'd love the digital. I can unroot or deny Spirit access to a SU shell and see if Spirit runs with that mode if you'd like. I can tell it's digital regardless. There is a lag in the stations being changed and the audio catching up. This was in STOCK mode in Spirit. The OEM App is the same. Nevertheless you can now add the Casio "GzOne" Commando 4G (darn long name I know lol ) to your approved list! Spirit works perfect. I'll go ahead and reject root shell access and see if Spirit will still work with audio out.

EDIT

Tried Spirit in a "unrooted" (Root access removed). Spirit ran and I DID hear audio in the same digital audio setting. However it was for lack of a better word. Choppy or crackly. Not staticy as it was a strong local station. I sent you a debug log for it. Atleast we know there is 1 (even if it's semi-low specd) phone on Verizon that supports Digital audio FM.
20th September 2013, 12:25 AM |#6851  

Donate to Me
More
September 18 release is now on Play (in a few minutes ?) for those not in the beta testing groups.

Quote:

Spirit Free Sept 18: http://d-h.st/H4x

Also available in the beta groups for Spirit Unlocked and Light, and likely to be promoted to "production" soon.

- Remove a "feature" I accidentally left enabled in the September 7 Free version. I shouldn't discuss this feature publicly, but if I told you, you'd want to run this newer version.

- Disable the disablement of Huawei and ZTE devices.

- Disable Menu-> Test-> Email-> Logs.

The first is because I'm not providing detailed technical support for Unlocked or Light anymore, so I "don't care" (Yeah, I do care, but I can't let myself be bogged down anymore with Spirit1.)

The second is also due to stopping detailed tech support. Hopefully the pirate debug logs will decrease.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
spirit fm radio receiver ota

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)