Android 4.3 with sense 5.5

Search This thread

FYL21

Mar 18, 2013
Definitely Taiwan will get it first! Look at One X+, Taiwanese version got 4.2 before all the others.

I really hope they fix the audio crackling at high volumes, perhaps my unit has a defective headphone amplifier, but another user, tsokh, also noticed the same thing =/ Galaxy S4 with Snapdragon 600 had a similar problem, but I contacted HTC the rep told me that nobody else has complained to them about this issue (but then again I contacted HTC North America not Taiwan, a bit of a language barrier and they give you similar replies everytime there).

Also Beats Audio is kinda buggy if you listen to speakers with Beats on, and plug in your headphones the volume increasing effect of Beats is actually reversed and it actually decreases your volume, then turning Beats off actually increases the volume (leading to the audio crackling too). Even worse, after I do this, I start getting an occasional audio ZAP like not crackling but a loud squeak at the same location of a song.

daorderdillon

Jul 27, 2012
nassau
Definitely Taiwan will get it first! Look at One X+, Taiwanese version got 4.2 before all the others.

I really hope they fix the audio crackling at high volumes, perhaps my unit has a defective headphone amplifier, but another user, tsokh, also noticed the same thing =/ Galaxy S4 with Snapdragon 600 had a similar problem, but I contacted HTC the rep told me that nobody else has complained to them about this issue (but then again I contacted HTC North America not Taiwan, a bit of a language barrier and they give you similar replies everytime there).

Also Beats Audio is kinda buggy if you listen to speakers with Beats on, and plug in your headphones the volume increasing effect of Beats is actually reversed and it actually decreases your volume, then turning Beats off actually increases the volume (leading to the audio crackling too). Even worse, after I do this, I start getting an occasional audio ZAP like not crackling but a loud squeak at the same location of a song.

I don't ever get that

Sent from my HTC Butterfly using xda premium

FYL21

Mar 18, 2013
I don't ever get that

Sent from my HTC Butterfly using xda premium

It's only occurs with songs that have a slow deep bass, example would be the slow part of Touch by Daft Punk, some R. Kelly songs. With most songs audio quality is great but I notice a little bit of high-pitched EMI on the left channel at the beginning of each track.

The audio crackling is very apparent with in-ear headphones and earbuds, if you have the volume above 11/15. I find 12/15 to be the ideal listening volume so I do notice it a little bit, but using PowerAMP it SOMETIMES doesn't happen. (but with PowerAMP I get occasional audio popping as opposed to the crackling distortion)

With higher impedance on-ear headphones you only get it at the maximum volume setting (Beats off).

The HTC rep advised me to have it checked with RMA (I might just go to a service center in Taiwan to ask about it the next time I go, it takes about 2 weeks for a factory repair though)

Does anybody use Bluetooth for listening to music? If it doesn't happen on Bluetooth it might be the headphone amplifier.

Last edited:

gelo01

Sep 18, 2012
Manila
OnePlus 8T
It's not only the butterfly S that is affected by the crackling sound on high volumes. I can confirm that it's also happening in One S and X..

FYL21

Mar 18, 2013
It's not only the butterfly S that is affected by the crackling sound on high volumes. I can confirm that it's also happening in One S and X..

are you getting the same problem? I thought it made sense because the Butterfly s uses the same chipset as the i9505 GS4 which also had its own share of audio problems. It might only affect a few units as daorderdillon says he doesn't have the same problem with the song in question. It may also be that only 901e are affected as he has 901s.

Strangely I never got this problem on my One X+ but I did get constant skipping which bothered me but mostly only happens if the screen is on and I'm doing something with the phone. Original HOX had a bad DAC and a lot of users disliked the audio quality (never tried myself), HOX+ much cleaner but kinda lacking in bass and treble.

The new update does seem to make the touch screen more responsive. I was having problems with the shift key and the back button, also playing Lep's World 2 where the jump button didn't always respond (perhaps it's because they updated it recently). Finally, there used to be a continuous hiss in the background even after you stop music playback. With IEMs the hiss is still quite noticeable at the beginning and end of songs (including a high-pitched EMI on my left speaker), but it stops soon after you pause the music.

Last edited:

zounduser

Mar 2, 2012
sioux falls SD
are you getting the same problem? I thought it made sense because the Butterfly s uses the same chipset as the i9505 GS4 which also had its own share of audio problems. It might only affect a few units as daorderdillon says he doesn't have the same problem with the song in question. It may also be that only 901e are affected as he has 901s.

Strangely I never got this problem on my One X+ but I did get constant skipping which bothered me but mostly only happens if the screen is on and I'm doing something with the phone. Original HOX had a bad DAC and a lot of users disliked the audio quality (never tried myself), HOX+ much cleaner but kinda lacking in bass and treble.

The new update does seem to make the touch screen more responsive. I was having problems with the shift key and the back button, also playing Lep's World 2 where the jump button didn't always respond (perhaps it's because they updated it recently). Finally, there used to be a continuous hiss in the background even after you stop music playback. With IEMs the hiss is still quite noticeable at the beginning and end of songs (including a high-pitched EMI on my left speaker), but it stops soon after you pause the music.

Can u please b so kind and post a stock backup of the new OTA? that would b awesome. Please reply back.

Sent from my HTC Butterfly S using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

FYL21

Mar 18, 2013
Can u please b so kind and post a stock backup of the new OTA? that would b awesome. Please reply back.

sorry haven't rooted (yet anyways), still a noob here =/... Due to that headphone issue which I think may be due to the amp I don't want to risk my warranty yet, I'll be going back to Taiwan in a few months and maybe get a repair...

Last edited:

zounduser

Mar 2, 2012
sioux falls SD
sorry haven't rooted (yet anyways), still a noob here =/... Due to that headphone issue which I think may be due to the amp I don't want to risk my warranty yet, I'll be going back to Taiwan in a few months and maybe get a repair...

Did u take the OTA update? How is it? Im most interested in the camera enhancements. Any feedback would b great. Thanks bro.

FYL21

Mar 18, 2013
Did u take the OTA update? How is it? Im most interested in the camera enhancements. Any feedback would b great. Thanks bro.

There isn't much difference actually the camera seems the same. Keyboard and buttons seem to be more responsive as I had some problems before under the screen protector.

Also, charging animation means your screen will always be on, I only realized this yesterday and I really hate it - what if your screen burns in? (good thing it's not AMOLED, but still there might be some retention as I get that on my iPad 2) Right now the only solution is to charge under standby mode.

Last edited:

Cxpher

Aug 14, 2011
What is the version number of this update?

Sent from my HTC Butterfly s using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Cxpher

Aug 14, 2011
Still haven't got mine yet. Are there any new features in Sense 5.5? Can't seem to find any videos.

Sent from my HTC Butterfly s using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Attachments

• 1380037935541.jpg
    1380037935541.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 206

Top Liked Posts