SafeStrap on Active

Search This thread

br0adband

Mar 28, 2008
So no one makes the same mistake, can you explain how to delete a rom slot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using xda app-developers app

When you have ROM slots and you'd like to delete one or more of them, it's simple:

You must choose a ROM slot such as the stock one and make it active meaning the one you wish to delete cannot be active. So if you only have Slot 1 in use and you decide to delete it completely, you need to make the stock ROM active, then go back to the list of slots, select the one you wish to delete (now that the stock ROM is active) and the Delete button will be available as an option. Press that and the ROM you're looking at will be deleted in a second flat (the slot will be deleted removing the partition for it, etc, but it happens very very fast).

So far it's nice - it's very nice actually - that Hashcode has put some blocks into place in this version of Safestrap: we can't install a ROM directly to the stock ROM spot (the device itself), and we can't obviously delete that as well. I made a booboo earlier that surely would have bricked my GS4A if it weren't for those blocks Hashcode has in place so, more thanks his way for saving us from ourselves with this tinkering and the usual Murphy's Law style stuff and mistakes we all make from time to time.

tl;dr find the ROM slot you want deleted, then make another one active, go into the one you want deleted (with another one active) and the Delete button will be an option. Can't delete the active one so you have to choose at least the stock ROM to be active - and no you can't delete the stock ROM thankfully.

That should cover it.

br0adband

Mar 28, 2008
I don't see the unlock symbol on mine, no (just rebooted into the AOSP ROM after installing the camera patch, everything is working at this point, data speeds are slightly faster for some reason, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth work fine, the camera is functional but features are missing from the stock camera app as expected). If, however, I go ahead and reinstall the Xposed Framework and put Wanam into it for some purpose THAT will trigger the custom unlock icon at boot time.

Never bothered me since it's only there for a second or so and I know it'll be there so, why even pay attention to it. ;)

br0adband

Mar 28, 2008
Hmm it wont let me create a rom slow... i select the partition size and the "Create rom slot" is grayed out what can i do?

Is your particular device full of stuff? The slots are created using space on the internal storage of the phone, not the microSD card - so if you have a lot of 'stuff' internally (a lot of big apps installed, a lot of music or videos in that storage space) it might be that it simply doesn't have room to install much of anything.

Check how much space you have on internal storage and try again, that's all I can suggest.

yankeesfan714

Jan 6, 2013
For reference. What size is everyone setting their ROM slot partition size to? Only reason I ask is because I made mine 2gb and I have about a gig left. That's normal right?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537

Fortune090

Jun 26, 2008
The issue with that ROM is that it won't install because the build.prop file doesn't have the required device identifier so the installation grinds to a halt. I made an attempt to mod the build.prop but was unsuccessful in doing it so I have to leave that aspect in more capable hands I suppose. One would think if they can install and use that on the I9295 International model if we can just get that build.prop edited for the I537 then perhaps we'd get some 4.3 lovin' happening. :D

One thing I'm curious about is will the MF1/3 modules still work with a 4.3 rom since technically MF1/3 are 4.2 roms?

br0adband

Mar 28, 2008
One thing I'm curious about is will the MF1/3 modules still work with a 4.3 rom since technically MF1/3 are 4.2 roms?

Only way we're going to find out is if someone is able to patch that ROM so it'll install for us using Safestrap, I'm just not quite that technically adept but, I'm willing to be the guinea pig if anyone can get that patch in place. It's not like I'm gonna break anything, either it'll install and power up or not, if not then it gets deleted on the next reboot into Safestrap, and so on.

Small steps...

---------- Post added at 04:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:57 PM ----------

For reference. What size is everyone setting their ROM slot partition size to? Only reason I ask is because I made mine 2gb and I have about a gig left. That's normal right?

Well I did a full clean factory reset of my GS4A before I did all this so, I have nothing "on" the phone's internal storage so it's all there to play with. The way it's set up you should be able to do a full 4 2GB ROMs if you're so inclined. Battery is charging on mine at the moment so I can't check (finally got my actual legit Samsung OEM battery about an hour ago, doing a full first charge just to be safe... but at least now my NFC will work, w00t!).

I think the GS4A has what, 11GB of useful space after a factory reset, something like 4.7GB set aside for Android itself, some small amounts for other stuff, leaving about 11GB for the end user. I could be wrong there, I really haven't spent time scoping out every last bit of available space but I think my guesstimates aren't that far off.

Reactions: namitutonka

my-blue-snog-box

Aug 5, 2013
Frostburg, MD
Hmm it wont let me create a rom slow... i select the partition size and the "Create rom slot" is grayed out what can i do?

To create a ROM slot, you need X amount of space in /data. I backed up all my user apps on my stock ROM slot to extSdCard with TiBU, did a factory reset on stock, and then had more than enough space for ROM Slot 1. Then if you want to permanently go back to stock as it was, you can delete slot 1, boot stock, and restore all apps.

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk 4

yankeesfan714

Jan 6, 2013
If I have installed SS and want to Odin back to stock I can as long as stock ROM is enabled in SS?

Sent from my GT-I9295 using xda premium

my-blue-snog-box

Aug 5, 2013
Frostburg, MD
If I have installed SS and want to Odin back to stock I can as long as stock ROM is enabled in SS?

Don't quote me on this, but it is my understanding that if you Odin MF1, EVERYTHING is wiped; you restore with stock firmware and no SS. You can backup stock ROM through SS and restore if necessary.

Reactions: yankeesfan714

yankeesfan714

Jan 6, 2013
Don't quote me on this, but it is my understanding that if you Odin MF1, EVERYTHING is wiped; you restore with stock firmware and no SS. You can backup stock ROM through SS and restore if necessary.

I do indeed want to Odin back to mf1 and start all over. Root ,recovery, flash Google ROM. I had my phone setup for months. I flashed Google ROM and only have 1.46gb in my storage. Not sure if that is normal or average. And what did you set your partition size to in SS? I did 2gb

my-blue-snog-box

Aug 5, 2013
Frostburg, MD
I do indeed want to Odin back to mf1 and start all over. Root ,recovery, flash Google ROM. I had my phone setup for months. I flashed Google ROM and only have 1.46gb in my storage. Not sure if that is normal or average. And what did you set your partition size to in SS? I did 2gb

2gb was fine for me. But what is going on that you feel the need to flash MF1?

br0adband

Mar 28, 2008
That person might be stuck on MF1 like so many others hence the statement to just flash back to it again...

Gambit_Villa

Sep 19, 2013
Goldsboro
getting parsing error when opening SS apk anyone else experience this issue? im using the US at&t S4A MF3

EDIT: redownloaded the apk and it installed with no problem

Last edited:

ShimaMiku

Jun 17, 2007
New England
I'm new to this SS method. I have it installed, and my stock ROM is MF1. I have a 64gb micro SD card in my phone, but I haven't done anything as of yet because I'm not sure on the partition portion.

So if the internal memory is 16gb, and you turn in into two partitions...do they share "internal sd card" memory, or is it two partitions now? For instance, is it:

Partition 1: Total Partition Storage = (system memory 1) + (user memory 1)
Partition 2: Total Partition Storage = (system memory 2) + (user memory 2)

OR:

Partition 1: Total Partition Storage = (system memory 1) + (shared user memory)
Partition 2: Total Partition Storage = (system memory 2) + (shared user memory)

Reason I ask is because I'm trying to determine how much storage to partition. If it is shared, I only have to account for the system data, but if it is two entirely separate "user data" partitions, then I have to figure out how much I leave in stock versus AOSP (since stock is much more bloated).

Anyone else find a good balance?

baldwyn

Apr 6, 2010
What's up with the cam patch being gone now? All I get is Error 410 - Gone

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 4

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm a new user who can't post in development yet, but I wanted to let everyone know this procedure worked for loading a custom ROM (NOT flashing / bootloader crask) and all hardware working AFAIK) for my S4 Active i537 with the MF3 Kernel using Safestrap:

Procedure for my Samsung S4 Active i537 MF3 - I537UCUAMF3 - US, AT&T:
    Downloads section has a new Safestrap version:
    Safestrap-JFLTEATT-ACTIVE-3.6x-B09.apk

CHANGELOG:
    • No more wipe error on /cache
    • Reworded the /boot not found message as INFO
    • Boot partition should be protected in stock now. (In past versions, a boot.img file in a .zip being flashed to stock would overwrite the actual boot partition and force the use of ODIN to restore the stock boot partition).
    • 3rd and 4th CPUs are reattached correctly after 2nd-init (this was reflected in lower benchmarks)
    • Installation scripts were debugged a bit. But still seeing some users not getting a clean uninstall. :/ I'll work on this more.
    • TWRP update to 2.6.3.0 (See change log here: http://www.teamw.in/project/twrp2). And if you like TWRP don't forget to let them know.

From a local build stand point, this update was HUGE for me. I redesigned how the recovery files are built in order to support / maintain more devices in a better manner. This portion was not reflected in the change log but hopefully helps keep the builds consistent across several devices in the same family (VZW, ATT, ATT-ACTIVE).

INSTRUCTIONS FOR UPGRADING
    • Boot to your stock ROM
    • Install the new APK via file manager
    • Make sure to agree to the warning about replacing the existing APK
    • Once you're in the new APK (you'll note 3.60 in the lower left corner), use the "Install Recovery" button.

That's it. Now you can reboot into recovery and go right back into your ROM slot.
    Added the ATT ACTIVE MF3 stock kernel modules to the downloads section.

http://xdaforums.com/devdb/project/?id=681#downloads

If you're on the locked MF3 build: Keep this .zip on the device and flash it after any ROMs that are installed. They will sync up the kernel modules and restore wifi, bt, etc.
    I think I'll wait to try this until a new thread is created with a tutorial. Safe strap is foreign to me, I'm itching to install it but I do t want to jump the gun. I've waited months to be able to flash ROMs so what's a couple days/weeks.

You can go ahead and install the apk and check out the recovery if you want: it's just an apk so you won't brick. I will write up a tutorial if you give me a bit.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2428226.
    I am hoping that @Hashcode will be willing to help with making it work for the Active.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 4

I have PM hashcode and told him that if he needs a loaner device that I would send mine.