Post Reply Email Thread
28th August 2013, 05:21 AM |#131  
Flag Poznań
Thanks Meter: 136

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnegie0107

I've followed instructions as carefully as possible, but I feel like I must be missing something. No matter how I try, I can't figure out how to get my nook to boot from the sdcard after I've written the image (so I can go on flashing files). I have a fair bit of experience with Linux, Android, and Android hacking, but I feel like my brain must just not be working here. Something tells me I'm making a noob mistake.

http://code.google.com/p/nst-recover...2.zip&can=2&q=

dd if=~/2gb_clockwork-rc2.img of=/dev/your_sd

if it does not work there is something wrong with your uSD.

28th August 2013, 08:45 AM |#132  
Flag Springytown
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by osowiecki

http://code.google.com/p/nst-recover...2.zip&can=2&q=

dd if=~/2gb_clockwork-rc2.img of=/dev/your_sd

if it does not work there is something wrong with your uSD.

Hmm. The SD seems fine. Both my nook and phone recognize it. Terminal output indicates that it wrote the image successfully. But my nook just boots normally with the sdcard inserted.
28th August 2013, 11:41 AM |#133  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnegie0107

Hmm. The SD seems fine. Both my nook and phone recognize it. Terminal output indicates that it wrote the image successfully. But my nook just boots normally with the sdcard inserted.

I had exactly the same problem. I bought a new card reader and that seemed to make it work ( I was using my phone before as an external usb and it didn't seem to like that)
23rd September 2013, 01:07 PM |#134  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
stuck at boot
i'm new to nook community, but i have quite big experience with android devices and such. i'm stuck at the first boot after glownooter install from cwm. i guess i could f*ck up as i didn't check which version my simpletouch with glowlight has. i thought the process is so bulletproof that even didn't backup. can anyone point me to the process of clean rom revert or maybe some other tip?

the device easily reboots into the cwm when i install the microsd. otherwise stuck at boot.
23rd September 2013, 01:40 PM |#135  
Flag Montreal
Thanks Meter: 26

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by apkraven

i'm new to nook community, but i have quite big experience with android devices and such. i'm stuck at the first boot after glownooter install from cwm. i guess i could f*ck up as i didn't check which version my simpletouch with glowlight has. i thought the process is so bulletproof that even didn't backup. can anyone point me to the process of clean rom revert or maybe some other tip?

the device easily reboots into the cwm when i install the microsd. otherwise stuck at boot.

This post draws some conlusions over which version of Glownooter should be used with which Nook software release.

Still, here's a good link for full reset options; at least the Nook retains a complete copy of the factory ROM internally so that, if rooting isn't bulletproof, factory reset is!

Also, once you're rooted, do take heed that there are a few cleanups you'll need to make.

Ian
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dr_diem For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dr_diem Ad-Free
23rd September 2013, 03:36 PM |#136  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
thank you for your help , Ian

anyone have a tip for installing the relaunch launcher? i downloaded the apk, but it says only the nook purchased apps can be installed even though the nookcolor tools has the box of "non-market apps" checked...

ps> managed to solve the problem only with the nookmanager. now it's all okay.
18th October 2013, 08:23 PM |#137  

More
Kobo and installing apps
Hi I have everything running nicely, kindle app installed. Thanks to everyone involved in the development.
I have been trying to use kobo from the market as well but have run into problems. It loads and syncs my library but when I click on a book the screen flashes goes grey and then I am straight back in the library. I thought maybe I needed a different version so have tried finding an older version which is when I ran into my second problem. I can't seem to install apps. I have downloaded apks and put them onto my sdcard but I cannot launch a file explorer. Supermanager does nothing, literally and I have tried installing apps using the market on a browser, dolphin as nothing else works, but it says they are already installed. I am clearly missing something, any ideas would be great either to get an explorer or market search or someting to let me install apps. Thanks in advance.
18th October 2013, 08:55 PM |#138  
Flag Montreal
Thanks Meter: 26

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by djchem

Hi I have everything running nicely, kindle app installed. Thanks to everyone involved in the development.
I have been trying to use kobo from the market as well but have run into problems. It loads and syncs my library but when I click on a book the screen flashes goes grey and then I am straight back in the library.

Have you removed the DRM from the titles? Each ecosystem (Kindle, B&N, Kobo, etc.) have their own non-interchangeable protection formats so you'd need to remove that (which, depending upon where you live, may be illegal) in order to read the same files via different readers.

If I'm off the mark and you are trying to read Kobo-bought files then it might just be indeed that the Kobo reader no longer properly supports Android 2.1 (which is what the Nook runs)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchem

I thought maybe I needed a different version so have tried finding an older version which is when I ran into my second problem. I can't seem to install apps. I have downloaded apks and put them onto my sdcard but I cannot launch a file explorer. Supermanager does nothing, literally and I have tried installing apps using the market on a browser, dolphin as nothing else works, but it says they are already installed. I am clearly missing something, any ideas would be great either to get an explorer or market search or someting to let me install apps. Thanks in advance.

Yeah Google Play won't run on the Nook so you'll need to install SearchMarket (browse to this URL using the Nook's web browser: http://www.appbrain.com/app/searchma...o.searchmarket) in order to install items from Google Play.

Hit 'Thanks' if I helped,

yan
20th December 2013, 03:51 AM |#139  
Victorville
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Just got a Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight. A bit confused with the instructions. At step 10, it seems to be implied I should have files on the SD card. Was I supposed to save all the downloads to the SD Card BEFORE writing CWM to it?

Also, it it really easy to brick it if I do something wrong?

EDIT: Figured it out. I put the files AFTER writing CWM.
11th January 2014, 12:27 AM |#140  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Nook STG 1.2 cannot root.. sdcard is created,, both zips are placed in the root of the sccard. I boot it from the power off screen with the prepared SDcard in, It just flashes the gear/geared N logo on the screen, I can pull the SD card and hold the power button. It'll boot back into the stock rom, so it hasn't managed to make any changes at all.

OS = Win7.

Used WinImage, had to set the VHD file type to all to pick the .img file as that isn't a type listed in the dropdown box. .ima is .img is not. Still seemed to restore it. Will look for another app to restore that img.

---------- Post added at 07:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova5

Nook STG 1.2 cannot root.. sdcard is created,, both zips are placed in the root of the sccard. I boot it from the power off screen with the prepared SDcard in, It just flashes the gear/geared N logo on the screen, I can pull the SD card and hold the power button. It'll boot back into the stock rom, so it hasn't managed to make any changes at all.

OS = Win7.

Used WinImage, had to set the VHD file type to all to pick the .img file as that isn't a type listed in the dropdown box. .ima is .img is not. Still seemed to restore it. Will look for another app to restore that img.

That was it.. the program could not properly restore the image. I used USB Image Tool to restore it and got the expected CWM recovery screen.
13th January 2014, 03:04 AM |#141  

More
Curious if anyone is able to install Dropbox. When I try to search on the Nook it doesn't show up and using a laptop to try and install remotely I'm told it's not compatible with my device. I'm having the same problem with Aldiko. Is this expected and if so what is the workaround?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)