[Guide] Tmobile N3 on AT&T's Network the Unofficial Developer Edition, CM11/KitKat

Search This thread

mircury

Jul 18, 2007
Louisville
[Guide] Tmobile N3 on AT&T's Network the Unofficial Developer Edition, CM11/KitKat

This is for people who have AT&T Service and are looking at the T-Mobile US Note 3 (N900T).

Why are people wanting to use a T-Mobile Note 3 on AT&T?

Because AT&T, much like Verizon, has tried to lock down their phones making it very difficult to use custom ROM's or apps that require root. AT&T and Tmobile's networks are similar. The N9005 is not an option since it does not have the required LTE bands. The N900T (Tmobile Note 3) is bootloader unlocked. More on that later. The progress made on the N900A is shown below. Note the limitations because of the locked bootloader.

As of 10/7/2013 root has been obtained for Jellybean AT&T version which is being phased out. This will not trip the trip the KNOX warranty counter.
As of 12/5/2013 custom ROMS can be flashed to the old Jellybean AT&T version. No kernel flashing.* If you don't have an Odin version of your stock ROM do not try this. This does not trip the KNOX warranty counter.
As of 12/16/2013 Safestrap is available for the AT&T version. This will allow you to flash custom ROMS but not kernels.*
As of 1/21/2014 KitKat is available for the N900A.
As of 6/15/2014 a simple root app was made available by geohot. Geohot used an exploit discovered in the linux kernel. It took nearly 5 months for root to be obtained on this update. If you are an AT&T customer I would seriously consider switching to T-mobile completely and not give your support to AT&T. This will be the norm for new phones going forward from AT&T. This current root exploit has already been patched in the latest kernel. So again, no current root method will work in future updates. If you are forced to use AT&T as a carrier like me, this guide is for you.

*Custom kernels still remain out of reach at this point for the AT&T version. The bootloader is still locked. This means no AOSP based ROMS like Cyanogenmod, and future versions of Android with its associated kernel will only be available for the AT&T version when AT&T releases it or there is an AT&T leak.

Does the T-Mobile Note 3 support ALL bands used by AT&T?

Yes it supports all bands used by AT&T. Full compatibility.

What bands does the T-Mobile Note 3 support? Is it good for traveling outside the US?

The phone supports a large number of bands from the US, Canada and Europe. This was taken from the back of the box.
GSM: 850, 900, 1800, 1900 UMTS: Band 1 (2100), Band 2 (1900), Band 4 (1700), Band 5 (850)
LTE: Band 4 (1700), Band 17 (700), Band 1 (2100), Band 2 (1900), Band 5 (850), Band 7 (2600)

Bands 900, 1800 and 1900 give good coverage in Europe but you will need to verify what bands the foreign carrier uses.
LTE bands 3 and 7 are the most popular in Europe. This phone does not have LTE band 3.

What does carrier/SIM locked mean? Is it the same as bootloader locked?

No. US phones that operate on GSM networks require a SIM card. The carriers don't want you taking your phone to another carrier without fulfilling your contract so they lock your phone to themselves and the SIM cards they offer. Once you fulfill your contract or pay for the phone in full they should be willing to issue you an unlock code. Some carriers like T-mobile make you wait 45 days after you buy the device to unlock it. SIM unlocking the phone will allow you to put a SIM card from another carrier in the phone. See the next question if T-mobile will not unlock your new Note 3.

How can I carrier/SIM unlock my T-mobile Note 3 if T-mobile won't?

Several people have used cellunlocker.net including me. Select U.S.A. T-Mobile and N900T as your device. This also removes any region lock. Chainfire also has an app that is used for the region lock on international phones that has the side effect of SIM unlocking the T-mobile note 3. This works by patching the modem. It requires root. Info on rooting can be found below.

Will LTE work on AT&T?

Many people have confirmed that LTE works. There is no speed difference between an AT&T branded phone and the Note 3. Documents obtained from the FCC and also on T-Mobile's site say it supports the frequencies used by AT&T. Do NOT give AT&T your IMEI to your Tmobile Note 3. If you do, AT&T's system will remove your LTE data even though it works perfectly. Give them another AT&T Android IMEI if you have to or if you are coming from an Android phone don't even talk to them. Just remove the SIM in your old phone and put it in your new phone. If you mess up and give them the IMEI some people have gone to the store and gotten the IMEI off the demo unit then gone home and called ATT to change the IMEI. You can also get an AT&T Android LTE IMEI from a family member or friend's phone. It will not effect their service in any way. One user also reported explaining the issue to a rep that changed the default plan and manually made it a plan with LTE. I'm not sure that a lot of reps on AT&T's front line know how to do this though.

What APN settings will my Note 3 need for AT&T and MVNO's?

NAME: ATT Phone
APN: phone
MMSC: http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
MMS proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
MMS port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
APN type: default,mms,supl,hipri

Then go to the home screen menu setting, more networks, mobile networks, network mode and change to LTE/WCDMA/GSM.

Video guide done on a S4. Credit: Sunny Nath

If you are using a Straight Talk SIM use this.
NAME: Straight Talk
APN: tfdata
PORT: 80
MMSC: http://mms-tf.net
MMS PROXY: mms3.tracfone.com
MMS PORT: 80
APN Type: default,mms,supl,agps,fota,dun,hipri,entitle

Then go to the home screen menu setting, more networks, mobile networks, network mode and change to LTE/WCDMA/GSM.

If you are using Aio Wireless from AT&T
Name: Aio Wireless
APN: ndo
Proxy: Not Set
Port: Not Set
Username: Not Set
Password: Not Set
Server: Not Set
MMSC: http://mmsc.aiowireless.net
MMS Proxy: proxy.aiowireless.net
MMS Port: 80
MNC: 150
Authentication type: Not Set
APN type: default,mms,fota,hipri,supl

Root, custom recoveries, roms, and kernels for the T-mobile US Note 3

Warning: Flash roms at your own risk. Do NOT flash a N900 rom or a N9005 rom unless the dev has specifically stated that it will work with the N900T. These could have different bootloaders, modems, kernels and other files that are not compatible with our Note 3.

The T-Mobile Note 3 has a dev community that is very large and growing rapidly. You have plenty of options to customize just about everything available on your Note 3. You can flash roms and kernels that give you extended run time and overclocking. We can even cut out the carriers and flash international roms with some modifications so we can have the latest and greatest directly from Samsung. Using custom recoveries such as TWRP will trip the KNOX counter.

For TWRP recovery use this. This is the recommended recovery for the N900T and is the first step to flashing roms and kernels.
TWRP 2.7.0.0 TeamWin Recovery Project is available here.

If all you need is root use this.
CF Auto Root is available for the N900T (T-mobile).

For CWM recovery use this.
The first step is to flash a CWM recovery and can be found here. After that you can flash a pre-rooted ROM that is compatible with the N900T or flash SuperSU here.

Android 4.4 KitKat and Cyanogenmod (CM11)

The Samsung build of Android 4.4 Kitkat (has Touchwiz) has been released for the T-Mobile and international versions. Please visit the development forums to download the Kitkat rom of your choice based on Samsungs stock build.

CM11 is remarkably stable and fast on the Note 3. Cyanogenmod is a rom built off of source code released from Google (AOSP). Cyanogenmod version 11 (CM11) is based on Android 4.4 Kitkat. It is often the fastest way to get the latest Android releases from Google. Cyanogenmod supports phones long after they are abandon by the carriers and device makers. It comes with no carrier apps or bloat. CM11 for the Note 3 is my daily driver.

You will need a few things when flashing to Cyanogenmod.
1. Get the latest nightly from cyanogenmod.org.
2. Get the gapps "full modular package" from here. You will need to flash both the nightly and gapps .zip files in the recovery of your choice. (TWRP or CWM)
3. (optional) S-pen functionality add on for CM can be found here in the play store. You can also follow this guide for additional S-pen features.
4. (optional) You can use the new photosphere camera app that is here. This camera is only available on Nexus devices. It's supposed to have better stitching of photo's than previous apps. The stock CM11 camera app does not have photosphere.
5. (optional) A KNOX partial replacement is here. It is basically truecrypt for android. It creates an encrypted container and you can store sensitive files in it. Encryption and decryption is done on the fly so it is very fast.

Further Reading:
Dev section for the Tmobile version

Last edited:

vince2398

Mar 28, 2010
This is helpful. I have a T-Mobile S3 unlocked on AT&T getting hspa+ and it always runs hot/warm, not sure if it's because it's not an AT&T phone. I just worry this may also be the case with a T-Mobile N3. I wonder if this is happening on T-Mobile S4 running on AT&T LTE. Would be great if someone can comment. Thanks

Reactions: rawhide85

jmichaels1982

May 30, 2011
Long Island, NY
Negri electronics questions

Thank for this awesome write .

Couple of questions

Negri electronics tmobile phone , is it bootloader unlocked ?

How are they in terms of defective items and returns ?

SHould i bother with their insurance or go with square trade ?

Thanks again !

mircury

Jul 18, 2007
Louisville
Thank for this awesome write .
Couple of questions
Negri electronics tmobile phone , is it bootloader unlocked ?
How are they in terms of defective items and returns ?
SHould i bother with their insurance or go with square trade ?
Thanks again !

No problem!

Negri has stated that it is the same phone that you can buy in the store. So yes it is bootloader unlocked. There is a 25 day return policy. I'm using squaretrade. Squaretrade is cheaper but will only fix your phone up to the value of your policy so if you have multiple failures then they will not pay over the value of the policy.

Negri's return policy can be found here.

Last edited:
Reactions: sk8ordie0

sk8ordie0

Oct 15, 2011
Thanks man........ Can't wait to get,root,& flash my TMO note3!!!( been preordered from Negri since sept 23rd)

rooted,recovered,and rebooted from the ol' i777.......

hollywould

Apr 18, 2007
Huntington Beach
Awesome stuff!! Thanks so much for this great write up. I know there are many of us waiting to get our hands on an LTE Note 3 on AT&T. Really glad I'm going to be able to avoid getting the AT&T locked bootloader model. Thanks again for all your help.

Pikezer1337

Feb 12, 2013
Apparently the CWM for the T-Mobile variant is not working at the moment because it is outdated. Thought this might be important.

mircury

Jul 18, 2007
Louisville
Apparently the CWM for the T-Mobile variant is not working at the moment because it is outdated. Thought this might be important.

I think he was just saying he didnt want to flash the one from 9/25 because the others are newer (9/29) and support exfat. I dont think it was a technical problem if you are referring to Diablohtr's post. That's what I thought anyway.

Reactions: sk8ordie0

petard

Feb 12, 2006
Thanks! I'm looking at getting one of these for use on AT&T! I'm SICK of AT&T's bull**** but unfortunately am quite locked in with them.

I'll buy the N900A from AT&T and flip it and then buy the N900T.

flashcity90

Nov 29, 2011
Just unlocked my phone can confirm that cellunlocker.net works and that att lte works on the tmobile version of the note 3! you have to physically go turn lte back on after switching sim cards

Reactions: mircury

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

This is for people who have AT&T Service and are looking at the T-Mobile US Note 3 (N900T).

Why are people wanting to use a T-Mobile Note 3 on AT&T?

Because AT&T, much like Verizon, has tried to lock down their phones making it very difficult to use custom ROM's or apps that require root. AT&T and Tmobile's networks are similar. The N9005 is not an option since it does not have the required LTE bands. The N900T (Tmobile Note 3) is bootloader unlocked. More on that later. The progress made on the N900A is shown below. Note the limitations because of the locked bootloader.

As of 10/7/2013 root has been obtained for Jellybean AT&T version which is being phased out. This will not trip the trip the KNOX warranty counter.
    As of 12/5/2013 custom ROMS can be flashed to the old Jellybean AT&T version. No kernel flashing.* If you don't have an Odin version of your stock ROM do not try this. This does not trip the KNOX warranty counter.
    As of 12/16/2013 Safestrap is available for the AT&T version. This will allow you to flash custom ROMS but not kernels.*
    As of 1/21/2014 KitKat is available for the N900A.
    As of 6/15/2014 a simple root app was made available by geohot. Geohot used an exploit discovered in the linux kernel. It took nearly 5 months for root to be obtained on this update. If you are an AT&T customer I would seriously consider switching to T-mobile completely and not give your support to AT&T. This will be the norm for new phones going forward from AT&T. This current root exploit has already been patched in the latest kernel. So again, no current root method will work in future updates. If you are forced to use AT&T as a carrier like me, this guide is for you.

*Custom kernels still remain out of reach at this point for the AT&T version. The bootloader is still locked. This means no AOSP based ROMS like Cyanogenmod, and future versions of Android with its associated kernel will only be available for the AT&T version when AT&T releases it or there is an AT&T leak.

Does the T-Mobile Note 3 support ALL bands used by AT&T?

Yes it supports all bands used by AT&T. Full compatibility.

What bands does the T-Mobile Note 3 support? Is it good for traveling outside the US?

The phone supports a large number of bands from the US, Canada and Europe. This was taken from the back of the box.
    GSM: 850, 900, 1800, 1900 UMTS: Band 1 (2100), Band 2 (1900), Band 4 (1700), Band 5 (850)
    LTE: Band 4 (1700), Band 17 (700), Band 1 (2100), Band 2 (1900), Band 5 (850), Band 7 (2600)

Bands 900, 1800 and 1900 give good coverage in Europe but you will need to verify what bands the foreign carrier uses.
    LTE bands 3 and 7 are the most popular in Europe. This phone does not have LTE band 3.

What does carrier/SIM locked mean? Is it the same as bootloader locked?

No. US phones that operate on GSM networks require a SIM card. The carriers don't want you taking your phone to another carrier without fulfilling your contract so they lock your phone to themselves and the SIM cards they offer. Once you fulfill your contract or pay for the phone in full they should be willing to issue you an unlock code. Some carriers like T-mobile make you wait 45 days after you buy the device to unlock it. SIM unlocking the phone will allow you to put a SIM card from another carrier in the phone. See the next question if T-mobile will not unlock your new Note 3.

How can I carrier/SIM unlock my T-mobile Note 3 if T-mobile won't?

Several people have used cellunlocker.net including me. Select U.S.A. T-Mobile and N900T as your device. This also removes any region lock. Chainfire also has an app that is used for the region lock on international phones that has the side effect of SIM unlocking the T-mobile note 3. This works by patching the modem. It requires root. Info on rooting can be found below.

Will LTE work on AT&T?

Many people have confirmed that LTE works. There is no speed difference between an AT&T branded phone and the Note 3. Documents obtained from the FCC and also on T-Mobile's site say it supports the frequencies used by AT&T. Do NOT give AT&T your IMEI to your Tmobile Note 3. If you do, AT&T's system will remove your LTE data even though it works perfectly. Give them another AT&T Android IMEI if you have to or if you are coming from an Android phone don't even talk to them. Just remove the SIM in your old phone and put it in your new phone. If you mess up and give them the IMEI some people have gone to the store and gotten the IMEI off the demo unit then gone home and called ATT to change the IMEI. You can also get an AT&T Android LTE IMEI from a family member or friend's phone. It will not effect their service in any way. One user also reported explaining the issue to a rep that changed the default plan and manually made it a plan with LTE. I'm not sure that a lot of reps on AT&T's front line know how to do this though.

What APN settings will my Note 3 need for AT&T and MVNO's?

NAME: ATT Phone
    APN: phone
    MMSC: http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
    MMS proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
    MMS port: 80
    MNC: 410
    APN type: default,mms,supl,hipri

Video guide done on a S4. Credit: Sunny Nath

If you are using a Straight Talk SIM use this.
    NAME: Straight Talk
    APN: tfdata
    PORT: 80
    MMSC: http://mms-tf.net
    MMS PROXY: mms3.tracfone.com
    MMS PORT: 80
    APN Type: default,mms,supl,agps,fota,dun,hipri,entitle

If you are using Aio Wireless from AT&T
    Name: Aio Wireless
    APN: ndo
    Proxy: Not Set
    Port: Not Set
    Username: Not Set
    Password: Not Set
    Server: Not Set
    MMSC: http://mmsc.aiowireless.net
    MMS Proxy: proxy.aiowireless.net
    MMS Port: 80
    MNC: 150
    Authentication type: Not Set
    APN type: default,mms,fota,hipri,supl

Root, custom recoveries, roms, and kernels for the T-mobile US Note 3

Warning: Flash roms at your own risk. Do NOT flash a N900 rom or a N9005 rom unless the dev has specifically stated that it will work with the N900T. These could have different bootloaders, modems, kernels and other files that are not compatible with our Note 3.

The T-Mobile Note 3 has a dev community that is very large and growing rapidly. You have plenty of options to customize just about everything available on your Note 3. You can flash roms and kernels that give you extended run time and overclocking. We can even cut out the carriers and flash international roms with some modifications so we can have the latest and greatest directly from Samsung. Using custom recoveries such as TWRP will trip the KNOX counter.

For TWRP recovery use this. This is the recommended recovery for the N900T and is the first step to flashing roms and kernels.
    TWRP 2.7.0.0 TeamWin Recovery Project is available here.

If all you need is root use this.
    CF Auto Root is available for the N900T (T-mobile).

For CWM recovery use this.
    The first step is to flash a CWM recovery and can be found here. After that you can flash a pre-rooted ROM that is compatible with the N900T or flash SuperSU here.

Android 4.4 KitKat and Cyanogenmod (CM11)

The Samsung build of Android 4.4 Kitkat (has Touchwiz) has been released for the T-Mobile and international versions. Please visit the development forums to download the Kitkat rom of your choice based on Samsungs stock build.

CM11 is remarkably stable and fast on the Note 3. Cyanogenmod is a rom built off of source code released from Google (AOSP). Cyanogenmod version 11 (CM11) is based on Android 4.4 Kitkat. It is often the fastest way to get the latest Android releases from Google. Cyanogenmod supports phones long after they are abandon by the carriers and device makers. It comes with no carrier apps or bloat. CM11 for the Note 3 is my daily driver.

You will need a few things when flashing to Cyanogenmod.
    1. Get the latest nightly from cyanogenmod.org.
    2. Get the gapps "full modular package" from here. You will need to flash both the nightly and gapps .zip files in the recovery of your choice. (TWRP or CWM)
    3. (optional) S-pen functionality add on for CM can be found here in the play store. You can also follow this guide for additional S-pen features.
    4. (optional) You can use the new photosphere camera app that is here. This camera is only available on Nexus devices. It's supposed to have better stitching of photo's than previous apps. The stock CM11 camera app does not have photosphere.
    5. (optional) A KNOX partial replacement is here. It is basically truecrypt for android. It creates an encrypted container and you can store sensitive files in it. Encryption and decryption is done on the fly so it is very fast.

Further Reading:
    Dev section for the Tmobile version
    just want to add another confirmation that this works, TMO N-900T Samsung Galaxy Note 3 on ATT network with LTE enabled...also if anybody is wondering the visual voicemail works for me, just have to download the app in the play store, search att voicemail it should be first result. thanks to everybody for the help.
    A Special Thanks to Mircury!

So, you swayed me to get the 900T and run it on the AT&T network. Followed the instructions to the letter in your OP and all is well. Coming from the original Note, I did have to take the extra step and cut/shave/file my AT&T SIM card down to a Micro SIM format but templates are easily available online.

With all the folks running the 900T on AT&T we may need to petition the moderators for our own sub-forum!

Again, BIG Thanks!
    So the TMobile will be good enough for AT&T right?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk now Free

Yes...
    Atlanta. And yeah, I'll let y'all know the results.

Wanted to let everyone know that I successfully unlocked it with cellunlocker.net Everything works perfectly. I followed this guide for the APN info and able to send/receive MMS just fine.

Thanks again!