Official statement from Google regarding the Cyanogen controvery

Search This thread

LukStarkiller

Aug 19, 2008
One day with 4.0.4 and now this, I'm very sad to see that a great build is gone.

Google will be the new Microsoft in a few years

cal3thousand

Feb 10, 2009
Here is google's information:

Our headquarters are located in the heart of Silicon Valley.

Google Inc.
1600 Amphitheatre Parkway
Mountain View, CA 94043
Phone: +1 650-253-0000
Fax: +1 650-253-0001

I say we BOMBARD them with support for Cyanogen and how we will move to other platforms if this hypocrisy is to continue.

Cyanogen did NOT MOD their closed sources (and apparently closed minded) applications. He modded the open source parts.

ALL of us that BOUGHT Google powered phones OWN the rights to use those applications. It should not matter that my ROM is modded. WE PAID FOR THE GOOGLE APPS!!! THEY STILL GET OUR INFORMATION and make loads of cash off of it. ****, I'm going to start using YAHOO! and BING

Everyone, right now, go and turn off the function that shares information with Google on your G1. That is a step in the direction of really making Android not worth it for them. Because right now as it stands, Android will not be worth it for me.

Oh, and don't forget to write or call Google and tell them what you are doing and why. Cyanogen and Android need us to protect them from Google right now. Give support in the only way that really gets the message to Google.

Z҉A҉L҉G҉O̚̕̚

Jul 3, 2009
www.last.fm
Man, this entire situation is just messed up. With Cyanogen quitting and Google being hypocrites (do no evil my ass :mad:), my G1 is my first and last Android phone. I'm glad I didn't have to pay for my phone (received as a gift).

Oh well, time to chose another phone. And Windows Mobile is looking better and better.

kylez64

May 25, 2009
Las Vegas
lets face it, android without root/Cyanogen sucks.

I was just about to get the hero through sprint too.

I guess its time to go underground for real android development. :(

Chosen_on184

Jul 27, 2009
smh guess its between palm ( blah ) the did the same thing to lewish when he was making roms ......

Guess its off to the dark side with iphone in hand:( ... at least i hear they got hacks to get market apps free ova there

Google bing is way better search enginge and google chrome sucks money b&lls

bubonik

Apr 19, 2006
Portland
To the people that compare this situation to microsoft, this exact thing happened but keep in mind that this was a few years ago. About 2006 and it was Microsoft vs XDA-Developers.com. In the end it was found that when we bought our winmo devices we also bought licenses for the software distributed. In order to please microsoft the hosting of Roms was removed from this website. So the way roms are distributed will change but who knows when or how or if it will even be enough after what they just did. I personally will be pulling people away from android as soon as I can find a good replacement phone.

zambezy

Oct 8, 2008
OK correct me if Im wrong...

WHO CARES ABOUT GOOGLE!!! Android is still the best Phone Platform. Its weak now but its gaining speed. ( and google is salivating over the profits to come )

Backup your original build & new builds that are are leaked.

Extract what APK's you want.( Make sure they the ones that you are entitled to, Blah, Blah, what ever we have been doing this to Microsoft for the last 20 years )

Download the striped down ROM. extract it and repackage. Resign it. INSTALL and enjoy. Cyan you did nothing more than provided the base application and instructions on how to modify the build with our own applications)!!! nothing for them to go on.

It will be little harder than just "install any zip from SDCARD".Who cares. This may be a good thing as more people will be forced to learn the innerworkings of android.

EMERYfan1988

May 9, 2008
hmmmm.....

What i dont understand.... is that everyone with a g1 brought their phones with android and all of google's (Closed source apps) installed. so if we take these apps and put them with some other build of android how is it bad. the mt3g and g1 both have pretty similar apps... idk... i think google is having issues making business deals bcuz of how much the community has done on top of their basic builds... and frankly i thinks its the monster they created! so deal with it..... you wanna market it as a OPEN_SOURCED platform... then dont send letters like these to people doing work for your company...

cause i know at least 5 people that have bought g1 to have and TINKER with....

kabluey

Jul 23, 2009
Seattle
Really the end?

I've been reading some of the other posts talking about a barebones rom without the protected apps. I like the idea but could it work? i'm comfortable pushing my own apk's to the zip file before flashing it that way the blame won't be on the dev. If that's what it takes to keep better roms coming, I'm all for it.

zambezy

Oct 8, 2008
BTW... its funny but HTC has not sad a word about their builds being used in custom roms... If you ask me they are million times more appealing than googles crap. I switched to HERO builds 2 weeks after I got my phone and I have not looked back. I hate the lame simple and ugly google interface!!! Its like comparing a REAL phone and child's toy....

HERO ALL THE WAY!!!!

prince.siraj

Feb 18, 2009
Loma Linda
BTW... its funny but HTC has not sad a word about their builds being used in custom roms... If you ask me they are million times more appealing than googles crap. I switched to HERO builds 2 weeks after I got my phone and I have not looked back. I hate the lame simple and ugly google interface!!! Its like comparing a REAL phone and child's toy....

HERO ALL THE WAY!!!!

oh so since hero is all HTC's Google can only shut the cupcake/donut stuff down? sweet!!!! and i totally agree with ya
here's the cue for cyanogen to jump on the hero bandwagon

rich0

Jan 19, 2009
There are ways around this...

Easiest solution to the Google mess is:

1. DON'T DISTRIBUTE ANYTHING WITHOUT A LICENSE.
but
2. Go ahead and make a ROM that works great with all of the usual closed source apps (whether published by Google or whoever).
3. Make it really easy for users to install those apps if they happen to have them.

Some have suggested that users installing their own Google apps is not legal. I don't see any distribution involved here - a user is uninstalling an app from their phone (by virtue of wiping it out of flash), and then reinstalling that same app onto the same phone. You don't need a license if you aren't copying software.

However, regardless of the merits of this argument, frankly, it isn't really cyanogen's concern what people install on their own phones. As long as he isn't the one doing it he should be clear. No doubt some people install pirated software on Ubuntu, but that doesn't make the Ubuntu team responsible.

And yes, it would be great to have some open-source alternatives to the proprietary google apps. Then everybody could use them (even those who don't own phones that came with them).

It isn't all that uncommon in the linux world for software to be distributed without key parts (such as a binary firmware blob) - users are told where to get it legally, and what to do with it. No distribution, no C&D letter.

This isn't the end of the world by a long shot.

Some have mentioned that getting the binaries supplied by Google to work requires a convoluted series of steps. Well, no big deal - somebody just needs to write instructions. Maybe even a script that does the whole thing (put update.zip in this folder, put apks in that folder, run program xyz, then wait an hour). No need for Cyan to even have anything to do with this part of the operation as long as he leaves hooks in.

AbsoluteDesignz

Sep 16, 2007
New Jersey
I'm confused...what phone on the market lack access to googles apps? How are we or any dev violating googles TOS if no one is putting anything on a phone that didn't already have the google apps on them?

That's like being sued by microsoft for souping up the version of windows that came with your PC...