[ROM/ROOT/CWM] Sero 7 Pro (US) - dopa v2.0

Search This thread

dolorespark

Jan 28, 2013
** DoPa5 v1.0 (AOSP v5.0.2_r1 - Lollipop) is now available for US/UK/AU users **

If you would like to upgrade from the stock ROM, see this post for downloads and installation details

DoPa v2.0 is an enhanced version of the stock ROM that features a custom-built kernel. It is based on Hisense's August, 2013 update (build P756.6.02.20) and is intended for US (8gb) versions of this tablet. It does not support the 32gb models sold in the UK and Australia. See Post 2 below for packages to root this tablet and install CWM Touch recovery.

This ROM de-bloats the original, roots it using SuperSU, and adds several useful apps, among them: Apex Launcher and ES File Explorer. It also includes several Xposed Installer modules to tweak your system, including GravityBox and my Phab7 UI switcher. For the hackers amongst us, ADB always runs as root.

The kernel is built from Hisense's source and offers enhancements and bug fixes. Most notably, it provides USB-OTG support so you can connect USB storage devices (e.g. thumb-drives) to your tablet using an OTG cable. It comes in two flavors, a non-overclocked version included in the main package, and a separate overclocked version that can be installed (and uninstalled) independently.

Installation
Having CWM installed is a prerequisite; if you haven't installed it yet, see Post 2. This ROM is intended to function as an update, preserving your apps and data. Unless you want to start from scratch, do NOT wipe or clear anything - the install script will do what's needed.
  • copy the file(s) to your internal or external SD card
  • reboot into CWM, then select "install zip"
  • I recommend you select "toggle signature verification"; enabling this will confirm the file hasn't gotten corrupted (if you get a verification error, stop, then copy the file to a different SD card)
  • choose the menu entry corresponding to where you put the file(s), then select "sero7pro-bld60220-dopa-v2.0.zip" from the list
  • after confirming your selection, the update will display what it's doing; you should NOT see any error messages
  • if you'd like to install the overclocked kernel, you can do so once the main package is in place, or at some later time
  • reboot
Notes
  • when you attach a drive using the USB-OTG feature, it is automatically mounted at '/usbdisk'. Be aware there is no easy way to unmount it - you may have to use adb or a terminal app to ensure a clean unmount. This should only be an issue if you write to the disk; if you're only reading, it may be safe to just pull the plug.
  • the overclocked version of the kernel runs the processor at 1.5ghz rather than the standard 1.3ghz. Using it may result in a significant loss of stability on some systems. You may want to install one of the many apps that let you control the maximum speed to regain stability and reduce power consumption.
  • much of the app-bloat this ROM tries to eliminate (such as Sams Club or Playstore Magazines) may still be present if you've ever gotten updates for any of these apps. To get rid of them permanently, uninstall them using Settings->Apps->Downloaded. For "system" apps like the Google stuff, select "Uninstall updates", then "OK" when it asks if you want to revert to the factory-installed version (which doesn't exist anymore). The apps will be gone for good.
  • to enable the many tweaks offered by GravityBox and Phab7, open the Xposed Installer app and enable it via the "Framework" option but don't reboot yet. Back out and choose "Modules", then tap directly on the checkbox to the left of each module's icon (not on the icon or text). Now, reboot to activate their features.

Note: GravityBox's Quick Settings tiles and statusbar mods only work with the Phone or Phablet UIs (i.e. not Tablet UI). To get the full effect from Tablet UI, open Apex Launcher's settings and select "Homescreen settings->Use tablet UI mode"
  • Geek Alert: with the addition of DriveDroid (not included), this kernel lets your tablet emulate a USB CD drive that can be used to boot your PC. See the app's description for details.
Credits
  • xboxexpert - for getting things going
  • randomblame - for many of the patches used in this kernel
Files

new and improved:
old and tired: (do not use with v2.0)
miscellaneous:
  • sero7pro-bld60220-removed.zip - files that were removed from the DoPa ROMS (note: unlike the other files here, this is not a flashable zip. Unzip it, copy the apps you want to your SD card, then install them from there)
  • stock-v60220-full-update.zip - the complete 6.02.20 update from Hisense - this is the closest you'll get to the original stock ROM
GPL Notice: the source code for this kernel is available at https://github.com/dolorespark/android_kernel_hisense_m470bsa on the 'master' branch.

DoPa

XDA:DevDB Information
Sero 7 Pro (US) - DoPa v2.0 Modified Stock ROM, ROM for the Android General

Contributors
dolorespark
ROM OS Version: 4.2.x Jelly Bean
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.1.x
Based On: Stock ROM

Version Information
Current Stable Version: 2.0
Stable Release Date: 2014-01-22

Created 2015-01-26
Last Updated 2015-01-27

Last edited:

dolorespark

Jan 28, 2013
Root/CWM packages

These packages will root and install CWM Touch recovery on the US (8gb) model of the Sero 7 Pro. There are separate versions for Windows and Linux. They have been tested under Win XP, Win 8, and Ubuntu, and should avoid problems encountered with other root/recovery packages.

The packages are modular so that you can run some or all of the functions as-needed. They consist of 4 scripts:
  • step0-DoItAll - displays some setup info then runs all 3 of the following
  • step1-adb - enables ADB ("Android Debug Bridge") to locate the tablet
  • step2-root - roots the tablet and installs the SuperSU app
  • step3-cwm - installs CWM Touch Recovery v6.0.3.2
Versions of ADB for each OS are included, so no other packages or downloads are needed. Usage should be fairly simple: unzip the package into a convenient directory, doubleclick on step0-DoItAll, then follow the (minimal) instructions. Alternately (and better), open a command prompt/bash shell, change to the directory where you unzipped everything, then run the script(s) from there.

Avoiding Frustration
If you haven't rooted an Android device before, please read the following because there are a few "gotcha"s. If you have but things aren't going as expected, review the following in case you missed/forgot something.
  • Developer options must be visible in the Settings app. If they aren't, select "About tablet", then tap on "Build number" 7 times. A small popup will tell you that you're now a developer. Back out to the list of settings categories - you should now see "Developer options".
  • USB debugging must be enabled under "Developer options". Please be sure it is. If it isn't, select it then tap OK when a warning popup appears.
  • Both Windows and Linux require extra files to be in place before ADB can communicate with your tablet. Click on the button for your OS to see the ugly details.
    • Windows

Windows requires USB drivers to be installed. Drivers that will work with the Sero7Pro (and possibly any Android device) are included in the package.

After enabling "USB debugging" and connecting your tablet, a wizard may pop up to guide you through the steps. If not, force it to appear by opening Device Manager. Look under "Other devices" where you should see something like "Android phone". Doubleclick on it, then select the "Install driver" button on the window that appears.

When the wizard pops up, tell it you'll select the drivers, then choose the option that tells it where to look. Click the "Browse" button and navigate to the directory where you unzipped the package. Select the usb_driver folder, press "OK", then "Next" - the drivers should install without any problems.

Notes: On Windows XP, the first wizard to pop up may want to install drivers for "MTP" which XP doesn't support. If so, cancel out of that, then wait for the "Andoid Phone" wizard to appear. On later versions of Windows, you may get a popup warning that the drivers aren't signed properly; if so, select "Install driver anyway". On Win 8-64bit, driver installation will fail unless you started the current session with "Driver signature enforcement" disabled.
    • Linux

Linux (or at least Ubuntu) doesn't allow user programs to access USB devices directly without the appropriate permissions in place. This package includes a file named 99-android.rules which provides those permissions

If you've never provided access to other USB devices, just copy the file to /etc/udev/rules.d. Otherwise, you can either copy it or merge its contents with the .rules file containing your other USB entries.

Note: both the rules.d directory and its contents are owned by root. You will probably have to use the sudo command to gain access. For example, from a bash shell whose current directory is the one where you unzipped the package, you'd enter "sudo cp 99-android.rules /etc/udev/rules.d". Also, be sure the file's permissions match the others in that directory. If not, run "chmod 644 /etc/udev/rules.d/99-android.rules".
Notes
  • When you're done, open the SuperSU app to enable it. It will ask to update the su binary. After selecting OK, the app will be enabled and will popup warnings whenever an app requests root access for the first time.
  • The Linux script is actually designed for both Linux and Mac OS X. However, I haven't fully tested it yet so I don't want to make any incorrect claims of support. You may have to correct some file permissions and will almost certainly have to run it from the Terminal app.
Files
sero7pro-root-win-dopa.zip - Windows
sero7pro-root-unix-dopa.zip - Linux

Last edited:

dolorespark

Jan 28, 2013
[Obsolete] Remove Screenshot Button / Add Instant UI Switcher

The mod originally described in this posting is now obsolete with the release of the DoPa v2.0 ROM which has both features built in.

If you are running an older version of that ROM, or XBoxExpert's ROM, or even the stock ROM, you can still remove the screenshot button using this CWM-installable package: sero7pro-sysui-dopa-v1.1.zip.

If you'd like to try Phab7, an on-the-fly UI switcher that lets you select Phone, Phablet, or Tablet UI modes, see this thread. Note: you must install the SystemUI mod to switch to Phone UI - without it, SystemUI will force-close when you do.

Last edited:

gberpa

Nov 3, 2011
Thanks for the nice work and good instructions. I'm using your stock ((build P756.6.02.20) rooted now and plan to try the ROM soon without Link2SD operational to keep all my apps.

taba4real

Aug 13, 2013
Antutu result for this ROM

12979 is my antutu result for this ROM while my previous stock ROM result was 11948 while 12339 was result of XE ROM. Thank you!

larryf

Aug 24, 2010
12979 is my antutu result for this ROM while my previous stock ROM result was 11948 while 12339 was result of XE ROM. Thank you!

I'm getting 13861 on this ROM, 11249 on the previous XE ROM.

Ran it twice, results were very close. I did leave all the 'tweeks' in from Xbox's post, not sure if that makes any difference.

Larry

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Cooter007

Apr 1, 2011
Rock Hill, SC
Why am I getting 10500 on this ROM then?

Did you run it with the raw system? What I mean, is did you run it after the ROM settled out and after a few reboots or did you flash and then run the benchmark? It is probably over kill but I like to let the ROM sit for awhile and then do a couple of reboots before I run bench marks. My first score was very close to larryf's score (13,800) the first time I ran it, but after I added live wallpaper, Nova launcher, Xposed, etc. my last score was 11395. I assume any benchmark program would shutdown all non essential programs before running but that may not be the case.

EDIT: Wow, I rebooted right after I type this and ran AnTuTu again and it scored 14,425.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kmwd7jgjpcw233y/Screenshot_2013-10-07-22-38-57.png

Last edited:

lordroy

Feb 20, 2012
Richmond VA USA
Did you run it with the raw system? What I mean, is did you run it after the ROM settled out and after a few reboots or did you flash and then run the benchmark? It is probably over kill but I like to let the ROM sit for awhile and then do a couple of reboots before I run bench marks. My first score was very close to larryf's score (13,800) the first time I ran it, but after I added live wallpaper, Nova launcher, Xposed, etc. my last score was 11395. I assume any benchmark program would shutdown all non essential programs before running but that may not be the case.

EDIT: Wow, I rebooted right after I type this and ran AnTuTu again and it scored 14,425.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kmwd7jgjpcw233y/Screenshot_2013-10-07-22-38-57.png

I flashed it days ago with this ROM, lots of reboots etc. Not sure what I am doing wrong or why my score is so low.

Cooter007

Apr 1, 2011
Rock Hill, SC
Last edited:

lordroy

Feb 20, 2012
Richmond VA USA
It may have something to do with my minimal approach to this tablet. I bought this tablet to use in the car. After setting up Nova Launcher, I'm pretty much down to two addition; ODB2 and CoPolit.

My desktop ----- https://www.dropbox.com/s/rsdp9oskbhtg9jp/Screenshot_2013-10-07-23-05-38.png

Of course as soon as I mention something, my Sero decides to play nice.

Just got a score of 13861. I didnt change anything, it just decided to score better for some reason.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ** DoPa5 v1.0 (AOSP v5.0.2_r1 - Lollipop) is now available for US/UK/AU users **

If you would like to upgrade from the stock ROM, see this post for downloads and installation details

DoPa v2.0 is an enhanced version of the stock ROM that features a custom-built kernel. It is based on Hisense's August, 2013 update (build P756.6.02.20) and is intended for US (8gb) versions of this tablet. It does not support the 32gb models sold in the UK and Australia. See Post 2 below for packages to root this tablet and install CWM Touch recovery.

This ROM de-bloats the original, roots it using SuperSU, and adds several useful apps, among them: Apex Launcher and ES File Explorer. It also includes several Xposed Installer modules to tweak your system, including GravityBox and my Phab7 UI switcher. For the hackers amongst us, ADB always runs as root.

The kernel is built from Hisense's source and offers enhancements and bug fixes. Most notably, it provides USB-OTG support so you can connect USB storage devices (e.g. thumb-drives) to your tablet using an OTG cable. It comes in two flavors, a non-overclocked version included in the main package, and a separate overclocked version that can be installed (and uninstalled) independently.

Installation
    Having CWM installed is a prerequisite; if you haven't installed it yet, see Post 2. This ROM is intended to function as an update, preserving your apps and data. Unless you want to start from scratch, do NOT wipe or clear anything - the install script will do what's needed.
    • copy the file(s) to your internal or external SD card
    • reboot into CWM, then select "install zip"
    • I recommend you select "toggle signature verification"; enabling this will confirm the file hasn't gotten corrupted (if you get a verification error, stop, then copy the file to a different SD card)
    • choose the menu entry corresponding to where you put the file(s), then select "sero7pro-bld60220-dopa-v2.0.zip" from the list
    • after confirming your selection, the update will display what it's doing; you should NOT see any error messages
    • if you'd like to install the overclocked kernel, you can do so once the main package is in place, or at some later time
    • reboot
    Notes
    • when you attach a drive using the USB-OTG feature, it is automatically mounted at '/usbdisk'. Be aware there is no easy way to unmount it - you may have to use adb or a terminal app to ensure a clean unmount. This should only be an issue if you write to the disk; if you're only reading, it may be safe to just pull the plug.
    • the overclocked version of the kernel runs the processor at 1.5ghz rather than the standard 1.3ghz. Using it may result in a significant loss of stability on some systems. You may want to install one of the many apps that let you control the maximum speed to regain stability and reduce power consumption.
    • much of the app-bloat this ROM tries to eliminate (such as Sams Club or Playstore Magazines) may still be present if you've ever gotten updates for any of these apps. To get rid of them permanently, uninstall them using Settings->Apps->Downloaded. For "system" apps like the Google stuff, select "Uninstall updates", then "OK" when it asks if you want to revert to the factory-installed version (which doesn't exist anymore). The apps will be gone for good.
    • to enable the many tweaks offered by GravityBox and Phab7, open the Xposed Installer app and enable it via the "Framework" option but don't reboot yet. Back out and choose "Modules", then tap directly on the checkbox to the left of each module's icon (not on the icon or text). Now, reboot to activate their features.

Note: GravityBox's Quick Settings tiles and statusbar mods only work with the Phone or Phablet UIs (i.e. not Tablet UI). To get the full effect from Tablet UI, open Apex Launcher's settings and select "Homescreen settings->Use tablet UI mode"
    • Geek Alert: with the addition of DriveDroid (not included), this kernel lets your tablet emulate a USB CD drive that can be used to boot your PC. See the app's description for details.
    Credits
    • xboxexpert - for getting things going
    • randomblame - for many of the patches used in this kernel
    Files

new and improved:
    old and tired: (do not use with v2.0)
    miscellaneous:
    • sero7pro-bld60220-removed.zip - files that were removed from the DoPa ROMS (note: unlike the other files here, this is not a flashable zip. Unzip it, copy the apps you want to your SD card, then install them from there)
    • stock-v60220-full-update.zip - the complete 6.02.20 update from Hisense - this is the closest you'll get to the original stock ROM
    GPL Notice: the source code for this kernel is available at https://github.com/dolorespark/android_kernel_hisense_m470bsa on the 'master' branch.

DoPa

XDA:DevDB Information
    Sero 7 Pro (US) - DoPa v2.0 Modified Stock ROM, ROM for the Android General

Contributors
    dolorespark
    ROM OS Version: 4.2.x Jelly Bean
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.1.x
    Based On: Stock ROM

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 2.0
    Stable Release Date: 2014-01-22

Created 2015-01-26
    Last Updated 2015-01-27
    Root/CWM packages

These packages will root and install CWM Touch recovery on the US (8gb) model of the Sero 7 Pro. There are separate versions for Windows and Linux. They have been tested under Win XP, Win 8, and Ubuntu, and should avoid problems encountered with other root/recovery packages.

The packages are modular so that you can run some or all of the functions as-needed. They consist of 4 scripts:
    • step0-DoItAll - displays some setup info then runs all 3 of the following
    • step1-adb - enables ADB ("Android Debug Bridge") to locate the tablet
    • step2-root - roots the tablet and installs the SuperSU app
    • step3-cwm - installs CWM Touch Recovery v6.0.3.2
    Versions of ADB for each OS are included, so no other packages or downloads are needed. Usage should be fairly simple: unzip the package into a convenient directory, doubleclick on step0-DoItAll, then follow the (minimal) instructions. Alternately (and better), open a command prompt/bash shell, change to the directory where you unzipped everything, then run the script(s) from there.

Avoiding Frustration
    If you haven't rooted an Android device before, please read the following because there are a few "gotcha"s. If you have but things aren't going as expected, review the following in case you missed/forgot something.
    • Developer options must be visible in the Settings app. If they aren't, select "About tablet", then tap on "Build number" 7 times. A small popup will tell you that you're now a developer. Back out to the list of settings categories - you should now see "Developer options".
    • USB debugging must be enabled under "Developer options". Please be sure it is. If it isn't, select it then tap OK when a warning popup appears.
    • Both Windows and Linux require extra files to be in place before ADB can communicate with your tablet. Click on the button for your OS to see the ugly details.
      • Windows

Windows requires USB drivers to be installed. Drivers that will work with the Sero7Pro (and possibly any Android device) are included in the package.

After enabling "USB debugging" and connecting your tablet, a wizard may pop up to guide you through the steps. If not, force it to appear by opening Device Manager. Look under "Other devices" where you should see something like "Android phone". Doubleclick on it, then select the "Install driver" button on the window that appears.

When the wizard pops up, tell it you'll select the drivers, then choose the option that tells it where to look. Click the "Browse" button and navigate to the directory where you unzipped the package. Select the usb_driver folder, press "OK", then "Next" - the drivers should install without any problems.

Notes: On Windows XP, the first wizard to pop up may want to install drivers for "MTP" which XP doesn't support. If so, cancel out of that, then wait for the "Andoid Phone" wizard to appear. On later versions of Windows, you may get a popup warning that the drivers aren't signed properly; if so, select "Install driver anyway". On Win 8-64bit, driver installation will fail unless you started the current session with "Driver signature enforcement" disabled.
      • Linux

Linux (or at least Ubuntu) doesn't allow user programs to access USB devices directly without the appropriate permissions in place. This package includes a file named 99-android.rules which provides those permissions

If you've never provided access to other USB devices, just copy the file to /etc/udev/rules.d. Otherwise, you can either copy it or merge its contents with the .rules file containing your other USB entries.

Note: both the rules.d directory and its contents are owned by root. You will probably have to use the sudo command to gain access. For example, from a bash shell whose current directory is the one where you unzipped the package, you'd enter "sudo cp 99-android.rules /etc/udev/rules.d". Also, be sure the file's permissions match the others in that directory. If not, run "chmod 644 /etc/udev/rules.d/99-android.rules".
    Notes
    • When you're done, open the SuperSU app to enable it. It will ask to update the su binary. After selecting OK, the app will be enabled and will popup warnings whenever an app requests root access for the first time.
    • The Linux script is actually designed for both Linux and Mac OS X. However, I haven't fully tested it yet so I don't want to make any incorrect claims of support. You may have to correct some file permissions and will almost certainly have to run it from the Terminal app.
    Files
    sero7pro-root-win-dopa.zip - Windows
    sero7pro-root-unix-dopa.zip - Linux
    [Obsolete] Remove Screenshot Button / Add Instant UI Switcher

The mod originally described in this posting is now obsolete with the release of the DoPa v2.0 ROM which has both features built in.

If you are running an older version of that ROM, or XBoxExpert's ROM, or even the stock ROM, you can still remove the screenshot button using this CWM-installable package: sero7pro-sysui-dopa-v1.1.zip.

If you'd like to try Phab7, an on-the-fly UI switcher that lets you select Phone, Phablet, or Tablet UI modes, see this thread. Note: you must install the SystemUI mod to switch to Phone UI - without it, SystemUI will force-close when you do.
    DoPa v2.0 available

v2.0 of the DoPa ROM is now available. Here's a changelog of sorts:
    • all of the enhancements and fixes which were previously add-ons have been incorporated into the ROM: removal of the Screenshot button, support for USB-OTG, and the random MAC address fix
    • all of the apps are up to date as of 2014/01/22
    • the PhabletUI and TabletUI Xposed modules have been replaced by my Phab7 UI switcher
    • the stock kernel has been replaced by one I built from Hisense's source code (which is what merits the 2.0 designation). It includes 2 of the 3 fixes mentioned in the first bullet point, along with several esoteric bug fixes lifted from randomblame's TakTik kernel. In addition, changes to the kernel and the init.*.rc files used during bootup enable apps such as DriveDroid to emulate USB mass storage devices
    • for those with a need for speed, an overclocked version of this kernel is also available
    • a change to /system/build.prop (which may prove problematic) should increase the builtin speakers' maximum volume
    Overall, the changes are not earth-shaking but are probably worth the 10 minutes required to install them.
    USB-OTG support package

I've posted a new package (sero7pro-usbotg-dopa-v1.1.zip -see OP) that enables you to connect USB drives to your tablet. It works with the current DoPa v1.1 ROM and may work with xboxexpert's.

Drives are automatically mounted at /usbdisk when attached. There's no built-in way to unmount them, so use caution when detaching a drive you've just written to (if needed, you can do a clean umount using "adb shell umount /usbdisk"). Unmounting shouldn't be an issue if you're only reading from the disk.