Thanks Meter: 174

By Myriachan, Senior Member on 27th June 2013, 09:04 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
30th September 2013, 09:10 PM |#41  
Thanks Meter: 326

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by geniv

After switching from a Surface RT to a XPS10 and finding out it the jail break doesn't work

The jailbreak works on the XPS10 too, unless you updated it to 8.1 of course

30th September 2013, 09:31 PM |#42  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixSixSevenSeven

The jailbreak works on the XPS10 too, unless you updated it to 8.1 of course

I did all the updates as of yesterday and the JB doesn't work (I use v1.20 which worked on the sufraced RT)
I really doubt 8.1 was pushed to my device that early.
1st October 2013, 09:36 AM |#43  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Denver
Thanks Meter: 563

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by geniv

I did all the updates as of yesterday and the JB doesn't work (I use v1.20 which worked on the sufraced RT)
I really doubt 8.1 was pushed to my device that early.

The jailbreak works on all 8.0 devices. You would know if you were on 8.1.

Not to mention that this is horribly off topic for this thread.
The Following User Says Thank You to netham45 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift netham45 Ad-Free
4th October 2013, 11:38 AM |#44  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Seattle
Thanks Meter: 2,921

More
@geniv: Actually, RT (including 8.1) *does* allow doing the same thing as Android. The ability to sideload apps, without getting them from the store or going through Microsoft approval, is well documented and has been known for over a year...

PowerShell (as Admin) > Show-WindowsDeveloperLicenseRegistation > enter credentials > install .APPX all you want.

Android does not (without significant work) let you run "desktop" Linux apps (well, graphical ones) as it lacks an X11 server. WRT does at least have the desktop mode... With that said, I agree that MS is screwing up by the numbers here. They are wasting engineering time (design, dev, test, maintenance) that could be better spent on actual features, they are pissing off users, and they are crippling their own product. I don't expect them to *help* us, but they could at least stop wasting their time breaking things!
The Following User Says Thank You to GoodDayToDie For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift GoodDayToDie Ad-Free
4th October 2013, 02:05 PM |#45  
Thanks Meter: 22

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodDayToDie

With that said, I agree that MS is screwing up by the numbers here. They are wasting engineering time (design, dev, test, maintenance) that could be better spent on actual features, they are pissing off users, and they are crippling their own product. I don't expect them to *help* us, but they could at least stop wasting their time breaking things!

You can say that again. I'm pretty irked (to put it nicely) that Microsoft deliberately broke the jailbreak in 8.1. I know they said they couldn't guarantee it would work in future versions, but I was hoping they'd just leave it alone, or better yet, give us an official way of unlocking the desktop. Looks like I'll be staying at 8.0.
4th October 2013, 05:09 PM |#46  
Thanks Meter: 102

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodDayToDie

Android does not (without significant work) let you run "desktop" Linux apps (well, graphical ones) as it lacks an X11 server.

Natively lacks an X11 server, yes. But there is a partial X11 server app. I don't know if I consider spinning up a Linux chroot "significant work", and you can use a VNC client in the absence of a proper X11 server. Granted not a high performance solution, but it's a possible one.
9th October 2013, 05:56 AM |#47  
Flag California
Thanks Meter: 93

More
well that really sucks. I may just downgrade back to 8 to get back app support. I love my RT, but not being able to sideload is a bunch of bull.
9th October 2013, 07:36 AM |#48  
Flag Thessaloniki
Thanks Meter: 221

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globalrebel

well that really sucks. I may just downgrade back to 8 to get back app support. I love my RT, but not being able to sideload is a bunch of bull.

You can sideload....

Sent from my GT-I9505 using xda app-developers app
9th October 2013, 10:50 AM |#49  
Thanks Meter: 326

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globalrebel

Sideloading and running desktop applications are actually 2 seperate things. Sideloading simply means installing software from somewhere other than the built in app store, namely firing up Visual studio 2012 express, making a windows 8 app and deploying it to your tablet (actual touch app that is) which can be done on a non jailbroken device. I think you can install .appx on the device natively too.
I know you meant desktop but as this is a development forum it is perhaps best to not confuse the 2 terms.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SixSixSevenSeven For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift SixSixSevenSeven Ad-Free
10th October 2013, 06:52 PM |#50  
Flag California
Thanks Meter: 93

More
I apologize, I was talking to not being able to load a lot of the apps that had been ported to RT. (FileZilla, Transmission GUI, etc) I apologize for muddying the waters
11th October 2013, 01:45 AM |#51  
Retired Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 221

Donate to Me
More
Hehe.
Yesterday MS and Asus released several updates. Asus firmware update blocks the UEFI hole I was using to run unsigned apps on 8.1 - now my UEFI hangs instead of booting to EBL. The update is safe for ordinary users, it was just my own fault.
So now I have an unbootable device and heading to service
I assume that service would replace the motherboard (as I have the screen blinking issue, that can be fixed only with MB replacement), and after receiving the device back - I'm planning to boot from USB and scan disk for deleted files (or better to make a sector-by-sector disk image and work with it). Maybe I'll get some extra tools, like the ones here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2477285
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)