[Q] Unable to install downloaded apk, can't press install button

Search This thread

AngryHapposai

Feb 16, 2012
Chilly-Mazarin
Just in case...

In case some others are impacted, I'm currently using the excellent "SlimBean + OpenPdroid + Halo" ROM by DennisBold, and the "floating" Halo notification ring causes this exact same problem. :(

Luckily, you only need to disable it (two taps on the ring and then move it to the "delete" zone on top) and the apk manager install button responds again.

After you're finished installing your apk, just open up the notifications area and click on the Halo icon to put it back on screen. :good:

Azuma73

Dec 15, 2010
South-Central, ....PA.
In case some others are impacted, I'm currently using the excellent "SlimBean + OpenPdroid + Halo" ROM by DennisBold, and the "floating" Halo notification ring causes this exact same problem. :(

Luckily, you only need to disable it (two taps on the ring and then move it to the "delete" zone on top) and the apk manager install button responds again.

After you're finished installing your apk, just open up the notifications area and click on the Halo icon to put it back on screen. :good:

Totally fixed my "install" issue!!
Funny how it was such a simple thing as just havin' halo on screen!?!?!?
Mooch-a$$ Grassy-a$$ holmes!!!

Reactions: AngryHapposai

DennisBold

Jul 10, 2012
London

I detailed a fix (quick fix) on my thread, and it would be a bit rude of me if I didn't let you guys know about it. Try this:

http://184.173.234.188/SlimBean/Test/PackageInstaller.apk
Copy the file to your folder that contains ADB
Code:
adb root
adb shell
busybox mount -o remount,rw /system
rm -rf /system/app/PackageInstaller.apk
exit
adb push PackageInstaller.apk /system/app/
Or you can download the APK on your phone then using a file manger. Replace the PackageInstaller.apk in /system/app/ with the apk you downloaded.

Then reboot. You should be able to install an application with Halo enabled now.

Sent from my HTC

Last edited:

pvyParts

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 11, 2010
I detailed a fix (quick fix) on my thread, and it would be a bit rude of me if I didn't let you guys know about it. Try this:

http://184.173.234.188/SlimBean/Test/PackageInstaller.apk
Copy the file to your folder that contains ADB
Code:
adb root
adb shell
busybox mount -o remount,rw /system
rm -rf /system/app/PackageInstaller.apk
exit
adb push PackageInstaller.apk /system/app/
Or you can download the APK on your phone then using a file manger. Replace the PackageInstaller.apk in /system/app/ with the apk you downloaded.

Then reboot. You should be able to install an application with Halo enabled now.

Sent from my HTC

I take it you edited the pakageinstaller to ignore the overlays.

I sorta am in 2 minds with this. As per my previous posts here.

*Edit* good job none the less. Just wanted to have a chat about it. Ill pop over to your thread laters.

Pvy

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

alphasurfer

Jun 25, 2013
Thanks dennis,

Your solution worked for me! I'm running a paranoidandroid halo build for samsung tab 2 p3113!

prateek.khurana31

Jun 5, 2013
Greater Noida
Compile a list of all apps which cause this problem

Hi guys

need some advice here.

I've been installing apk file from dropbox for testing purpose for few weeks. Occasionally I couldn't press the install button (on the install screen), but it resolved itself after few attempts.

However, it doesn't seem to work any more. I just can't press the install button, but OK for the Cancel button. I've tried restarting with/without pulling out the battery. It still doesn't work.

Have googled the issue, only able to find this thread
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1150096
But I don't have screen filter app installed, so that doesn't explain my issue.

Anyone have the same issue and know how to fix it?

Much appreciated.

Cheers

Tony

PS. Im installing from dropbox.

for me it was the screen filter app which was causing this problem...I think one should take pain and compile a list of all such apps mentioned in this thread which cause this problem so that people are aware of...i was just going for a factory reset and this thread saved me.

G

GuestK00456

Solution for those with Lux

Lux is the problem. I had the same issue; I just hit the "sleep" button in the Lux ongoing notification, and voíla, the Install button worked.

this-is-me

Sep 9, 2010
I haven't read the whole thread, but if this workaround hasn't been mentioned, there is an easy way to solve this without the need for disabling stuff. I use a whole bunch of overlay programs, and I'm not about to go to each of them and disable them.

When there's an install window on the screen, just hold down on the cancel button until it turns blue, then slide off of it. Then the install button works fine.

rakesh111989

Feb 22, 2012
Hi guys

need some advice here.

I've been installing apk file from dropbox for testing purpose for few weeks. Occasionally I couldn't press the install button (on the install screen), but it resolved itself after few attempts.

However, it doesn't seem to work any more. I just can't press the install button, but OK for the Cancel button. I've tried restarting with/without pulling out the battery. It still doesn't work.

Much appreciated.

Cheers

Tony

There is another way which will always work, If you don't want to waste your time.

Just use adb to install. As shown in the post below.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1474956

TheFletch

Dec 20, 2006
Souther California
thefletch.net
Gesture Launcher also inhibits INSTALL button

Just an FYI, if it hasn't been mentioned before. Gesture Launcher also inhibits use of the INSTALL button on non-Play store installations. In fact, any of the many screen dimmers seem to force the same problem.

Reactions: kbaltodano

Abdullahku

Nov 16, 2013
Abu Dhabi
Hi guys

need some advice here.

Much appreciated.

Cheers

Tony

Are you using a custom rom, or HTC stock rom?

mikeataol

Nov 21, 2013
another apk

Thanks for this

I had the same issue installing apps after I used an app Ive used many times previously

"screen adjuster" screenadjuster.apk

Allows changing Red, Blue, Green and brightness and contrast as a service.

hiennx2k4

Jan 5, 2008
I think the reason is conflict license (maybe caused by new version of Google Play Store). There is an easy to solve this problem. You can manually install any application by LuckyPatch (as system or normal application). (Need ROOT)

Mahesh.j

Mar 15, 2015
I had similar issue with lenovo & screen filter

Try installing seconds after a clean boot. I believe my problem was caused by the auto brightness app Lux.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
It worked just by disabling the filter, it was an awesome finding. I was going mad with the button issue. Thanks a lot

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Try installing seconds after a clean boot. I believe my problem was caused by the auto brightness app Lux.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Just in case...

Had the same problem with Twilight on the LG Nexus 4.
    Hi guys

need some advice here.

Much appreciated.

Cheers

Tony

OMG! It works, thanks.

I was suspecting Lux causing the problem, but I only disabled the app, didn't uninstall it. Once I've uninstall Lux, it just works!!

I wanted to let the developer know the problem, but I can't replicate it. Any idea what the causes?

Iff lux puts a full screen overlay up that is what causes the issue. I think it is security thing. :)

Some of my apps had the same issue.

Pvy.

Sent from my TEAM powered Arc S