[USERS CAN REQUEST][TUTORIAL]Motorola Defy Mini XT320/XT321 Custom SBF with fastboot

Search This thread

rootdefyxt320

Oct 4, 2012
Sydney, NSW
New Way to Root DEFY MINI XT320/XT321 if you don't have fastboot.

1. Download the Fastboot SBF attachment and the root Defy Mini Attachment
2. Extract all the files out of the zip making sure all the files are in the same place.
3. Put phone in flash-mode by powering off your device and pressing Vol-, Power Button and camera button simultaneously and connect it to the computer.
4. Install RSD-Lite if you haven't done so.
5. Now select the SBF and it will flash fastboot to your phone. Don't worry about the flashing errors because it won't affect the phone at all. Disconnect the phone out of the computer and pull out the battery to get out of flashmode.
@MauroSZ and me have confirmed it .
6. Put the update.zip in the root of your sdcard
7. Now go to the folder where you extracted root Defy Mini Attachment.
8. Now make sure your phone has USB Debugging enabled.
9. Now click on the file named start_cwm_recovery.bat
10. Now using the Volume buttons to navigate and power button to select, select the option 'Apply update.zip from sdcard'
11. Now select yes to install the zip file.
12. Now select reboot system now and select Yes to Fix Root.
13. Now your device is rooted.
@Anushan use this method if you don't know how to make a custom SBF.

Attachments

• XT320_XT321_Fastboot.sbf.zip
    384.9 KB · Views: 6,027
  • RSDLite6.1.5.zip
    5.8 MB · Views: 5,357
  • root_defy_mini_XT320_XT321.zip
    6.8 MB · Views: 7,397

wintry

Oct 24, 2013
Worked first time

I'm new to Android and have been looking for a way to root my Defy Mini for several months. I was a bit wary of previous methods, but this method is much more straightforward and worked first time for me.

Well done!

MauroSZ

Dec 18, 2012
I'm new to Android and have been looking for a way to root my Defy Mini for several months. I was a bit wary of previous methods, but this method is much more straightforward and worked first time for me.

Well done!

Which post did you use, #1 or #41 ?

Sent by Smartphone Using Tapatalk 2

Previous methods looked complicated and I did not dare to make root. However, this metod (post #41) is easy even for me, noob. I made root in a minute. Great, congratulations and thanks. :)))

The only thing I can not detect which key combination get into CWM Recovery :(
Do you know?

Last edited:

MauroSZ

Dec 18, 2012
@darko150 you can get into cwm simply double clicking on the .bat file as it is explained in step 9, using this custom recovery as temporary. Of course you dont need to install update.zip if you already rooted your phone, but to make a backup (nadroid) before any mod like removing bloatwares.

Reactions: alana.phil

MauroSZ

Dec 18, 2012
Yeah, so I on this way went into CWM when I backed up.
How do I get into CWM if I needed Restore cell phone that Brick?

If you tried some mod that softbricked your phone:

- extract root_defy_mini_XT320_XT321.zip on your PC in C:\ using "extract files" option (don't use "extract here")
- the folder "C:\root_defy_mini_XT320_XT321" will be created
- open a cmd window on your PC ( start -> cmd <ENTER> )
- type and press <ENTER>
Code:
cd C:\root_defy_mini_XT320_XT321
- with your mini powered off keep pressed <vol+><vol-><power> for 8-10 seconds
- you will see FASTBOOT MODE on device screen
- connect your mini on PC via USB and wait some seconds for the driver
- type and press <ENTER>
Code:
 fastboot boot recovery-cwm.img
- wait for about 1 minute then CWM will appear on device screen
- restore a nandroid on your bricked mini that was made before when it still was ok.

Last edited:
Reactions: darko150

shah4344

May 23, 2012
Good job

2. Extract all the files out of the zip making sure all the files are in the same place.
3. Put phone in flash-mode by powering off your device and pressing Vol-, Power Button and camera button simultaneously and connect it to the computer.
5. Now select the SBF and it will flash fastboot to your phone. Don't worry about the flashing errors because it won't affect the phone at all. Disconnect the phone out of the computer and pull out the battery to get out of flashmode.
10. Now using the Volume buttons to navigate and power button to select, select the option 'Apply update.zip from sdcard'

Thanks..its really works for me.. :victory:

Gr3yNinja

Nov 30, 2013
Thank you!

thanks to your Tutorial i was able to root my xt321 in 10 mins flat!! :good:
used the 3rd method. simple and efficent.
but alas, i kinda messed it up while tryin to remove bloatware .
could please upload a stock version of the following sbf??? or redirect me??? hotfile hosting is down , and i'm lost! :confused:

Carrier Name: Retail
Firmware: TNBST_4_05.28.0BRPD_flex_IRD_SEA_Retail_v10
Software Full Version: 5.40.11.XT321.AsiaRetail.en.03

Last edited:

MauroSZ

Dec 18, 2012
Hey guys, you should do a nandroid backup just after rooting to prevent this.

jazubon

Dec 9, 2013
is it rooted?

Hi

I followed your instructions but I'm not sure if my phone is rooted...I am a complete novice and really have no idea what I should be seeing, but the phone looks exactly the same as before. Could you tell me what to do next? I'd be very grateful....I got all the way to 'YES to fix root' but I just don't know what to do now? All I want to do is get rid of all the apps that came with the phone, to make some space in ram.

Thanks, any info gratefully received

Last edited:

MauroSZ

Dec 18, 2012
Hi

I followed your instructions but I'm not sure if my phone is rooted...I am a complete novice and really have no idea what I should be seeing, but the phone looks exactly the same as before. Could you tell me what to do next? I'd be very grateful....I got all the way to 'YES to fix root' but I just don't know what to do now? All I want to do is get rid of all the apps that came with the phone, to make some space in ram.

Thanks, any info gratefully received
1) Do a nandroid backup ! Look up the post #47 of this same thread. If you mess up your phone trying uninstall blots you can recovery it easily.

2) Install Root Checker app from Google play and verify if your phone is really rooted.

The phone will be almost the same just after rooting. Actually you need root access do mod it, but it is the next step.

You can use the same ClockWorkMod to partition your SDCard creating a second EXT3 partition easily. If you use Minitool Partition Wizard instead (more difficult), you can choice EXT4 that is better. Copy your SD Card contents to PC before!

After partitioning your SD card, install Link2SD from Google Play and LINK ( I said "LINK", not "move") apps to sdcard second partition.

To LINK or uninstall native apps, you have to remount R/W the FLEX folder first otherwise it will fail. You can use Root Explorer or Root Browser Lite app to do it.

Reactions: jazubon

superk9

Dec 10, 2013
Hi,

I'm having trouble with this, can someone please answer some questions before I pull out the last of my hair.........

Step 3 - Putting into flash mode. No problem here
Step 4 - RSD-lite install. I'm assuming this is installed on my PC/Laptop

I'm also assuming here that my phone should be visible in this tool if I click 'Show Device'?
My phone is not being picked up to display and I can't find it if I use the 'browse' icon.
What am I missing that I can't seem to view the phone on my PC?

I'm also assuming that I use the 'browse' option to find the 'fastboot.sbf' file, which then has it's properties displayed in the 'File Properties' section. and when I click 'start' thats what does the flashing?

Step 8 - What does 'USB debugging' mean?

Thanks, Rob.

1) Do a nandroid backup ! Look up the post #47 of this same thread. If you mess up your phone trying uninstall blots you can recovery it easily.

2) Install Root Checker app from Google play and verify if your phone is really rooted.

The phone will be almost the same just after rooting. Actually you need root access do mod it, but it is the next step.

You can use the same ClockWorkMod to partition your SDCard creating a second EXT3 partition easily. If you use Minitool Partition Wizard instead (more difficult), you can choice EXT4 that is better. Copy your SD Card contents to PC before!

After partitioning your SD card, install Link2SD from Google Play and LINK ( I said "LINK", not "move") apps to sdcard second partition.

To LINK or uninstall native apps, you have to remount R/W the FLEX folder first otherwise it will fail. You can use Root Explorer or Root Browser Lite app to do it.

I've just so did.
my procedure:
1. made backup
2.with /system/app mover.apk declared undesirable system applications as user applications (Maps, Facebook, Twiter...) and then uninstall them.
3.partitioned SD card with MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition on my computer
4.install Link2Sd and link all user application on SD card

Last edited:
Reactions: MauroSZ

rootdefyxt320

Oct 4, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Hi,

I'm having trouble with this, can someone please answer some questions before I pull out the last of my hair.........

Step 3 - Putting into flash mode. No problem here
Step 4 - RSD-lite install. I'm assuming this is installed on my PC/Laptop

I'm also assuming here that my phone should be visible in this tool if I click 'Show Device'?
My phone is not being picked up to display and I can't find it if I use the 'browse' icon.
What am I missing that I can't seem to view the phone on my PC?

I'm also assuming that I use the 'browse' option to find the 'fastboot.sbf' file, which then has it's properties displayed in the 'File Properties' section. and when I click 'start' thats what does the flashing?

Step 8 - What does 'USB debugging' mean?

Thanks, Rob.

Make sure all the Motorola Drivers are installed to your computer, If not please download them from here: http://d-h.st/33x

Yes, when you click on Start on RSD-Lite, this will FLASH the SBF to your phone.

This will let you enable 'Fastboot Mode' on your phone.

USB Debugging means you debug it from a Windows, Linux or Mac as a host. This lets you use adb.

Reactions: superk9

superk9

Dec 10, 2013
Great thanks, I shall check when home tonight but am thinking I don't have the drivers.

Another couple of questions tho - sorry, this technology stuff is a bit over my head.
If you want a motorcycle restored I can help with that :laugh:

How do I take a nandroid backup so I can restore if I stuff it up removing bloatware?
How do I check that I have USB Debugging enabled?
Whats adb you mention above?

Cheers, Rob.

rootdefyxt320

Oct 4, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Great thanks, I shall check when home tonight but am thinking I don't have the drivers.

Another couple of questions tho - sorry, this technology stuff is a bit over my head.
If you want a motorcycle restored I can help with that :laugh:

How do I take a nandroid backup so I can restore if I stuff it up removing bloatware?
How do I check that I have USB Debugging enabled?
Whats adb you mention above?

Cheers, Rob.

You make a Nandroid backup in CWM Recovery. You will see a screen on your phone saying 'ClockworkMod Recovery v6.0.2.9' Now using the Volume Buttons to navigate and Power Button to select option, go to 'Backup and Restore' then select 'Backup'
You check if USB Debugging is enabled by going to Settings -> Applications -> Development and now check if the USB Debugging box has a tick. Make sure your phone is turned on before using the file 'start_cwm_recovery.bat'
ADB is a protocol used to communicate and debug the device from the computer (host).

Reactions: Boxerig

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    New Way to Root DEFY MINI XT320/XT321 if you don't have fastboot.

Hey Defy Mini Users, I've been able to make custom SBF's and include fastboot and Bootloader 01.0a in them.

Refer to this post for a new way to root Defy Mini XT320/XT321 for those without fastboot: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=46445136&postcount=41

Refer to this post if you don't understand on how to root Defy Mini XT320/XT321: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=48952575&postcount=70 Thanks to @jonaut :D

Request which firmware you want me to do and I will do it for you.

Now you don't need to do Alin Razvan method anymore to obtain fastboot. This method is based on @ManOLCZ method. So credits to him for the original method. I went a step further by including an older bootloader. Bootloader 01.0a can fix battery charging issues if you are not using original Defy Mini Battery and it is the native bootloader for fastboot mode.

How to get Bootloader 01.0a and fastboot on Motorola Defy Mini XT320/XT321 SBF:

1. Download the attachments below.
    2. Extract all the zip files
    3. Open Motorola Android Depacker and select the button 'Open From file' and select the SBF file for your phone and open it.
    4. Click on the button 'Split to folder' to split your desired SBF file.
    5. Now select the button 'Open from File' and change the selection of file type to 'MOTOBLUR mbn image (*CG2.smg)' go to the folder called nameofsbf-extracted which contains CG2.smg and open it.

NOTE: nameofsbf-extracted this means the name of the SBF file with the word extracted at the end. Here's an example: TNBST_4_0A.1F.0ERPS_flex_WE_Orange_Spain-extracted

6. Now go to the folder CG2-Extracted to and replace the files with the one from the 2nd attachment.
    7. Now go to Motorola Android Depacker and select 'Open Files Folder' and select the folder named CG2-Extracted.
    8. Select 'compile file' and it should be place in a folder named rebuilt
    9. Now copy the custom CG2.smg to folder with the files named 'firmware.hmg' and 'RAMDLD.smg'
    10. Now open SBF Recalc and select the button 'Open CG-Folder' and select where CG2.smg, firmware.hmg and RAMDLD.smg are.
    11. Now select 'Create SBF-File' and wait for a moment. Now wait a moment and your custom SBF file will be created.
    12. Your SBF is now ready to be flashed with RSD-Lite.

Guys all Defy Mini XT320/XT321 SBF's are all hosted here: http://www.filefactory.com/f/835cff656c4785cd

Thanks to @daywalker04
    Does anyone know which .sbf is the newest? I mean by having the most recently updated software.

This firmware is the newest: TNBST_4_17.21.A7RPS_flex_WE_Retail_Nordics_v4_0816_NOAPR_sec_20120816_MSU.sbf
    Flashing Fastboot Only SBF

You can't hardbrick due to locked bootloader. I will try to make a fastboot only SBF. RSD can't seem to send the jump command to jump into RDL Mode so it won't flash the SBF at all. Ok, I compiled my fastboot only SBF for XT687 using SBF ReCalc. Would you be willing to test it please. Just extract the SBF out of the zip file and flash the SBF with RSD.

It works. Thank you. What I did :p:

- Booted into CWM and did a nandroid
    - Still on CWM, all wipes
    - Reflashed the firmware (RSD Lite 6.1.4) that was running on my XT687, it is the latest but without fastboot (1)

- Turned on the phone and verified if every thing was OK
    . really it was liked I took it out from the box ( both sim, data network, wifi etc)

- Flashed the fastboot only SBF that you packed.
    . Some files were flashed and at certain point an error occurred ( see 2 pictures attached and the error text in the end (2) )
    . I had a intuition this error can be ignored. I was right.

- Disconnected from PC and removed the battery shutting it down
    - Powered on the phone to see if every thing was OK. Really was ( both sim, data network, wifi etc)
    - Booted into CWM only to test my flashable update.zip to root it ( I made it :) using @Bin4ry method files and permissions ) - It works ! :)
    - Booted into CWM again to restore my nandroid (success)

Now my device is working firmware 2_27G_2009 and fastboot 2_27D_2009 like was before, but MODEM files were not flashed at this time. I have not notice any difference yet. Are MODEM files restored by nandroid ? :confused:

I think you've made the third method. First was AR only. The second is flashing a custom SBF. The third is flashing fastboot only SBF, easier than AR method, because you can be relaxed waiting the error to shut down your phone removing battery. The third is faster than the second and you don't loose any data. If you solve errors it will be prettiest but now it is already good.

=====================================================================
    (1) I got fastboot before using AR method
    (2) RSD Lite 6.1.4 error

Code:
    2013/10/12 14:31:18 | 0 | ERROR: Phone[0000]: Error flashing subscriber unit. Device API Error: 0xE0020014 Address: 0xDC800 Command: BIN ->(567)FlashOp
    2013/10/12 14:31:18 | 0 | ERROR: Phone[0000]: Flash failed. ->(1195)PST_FP_FlashThread
    2013/10/12 14:31:18 | 0 | ERROR: Flash failure: Phone[0000]: Error flashing subscriber unit. Device API Error: 0xE0020014 Address: 0xDC800 Command: BIN (Error Code: e0020014),
    Detailed Error Details: Direction of the Error=3000, Command Value=300000, Code Group Number=2 ->(625)FlashHdlr