Just took an update through Samsung Kies - I545VRUDMI1

Search This thread

lynyrd65

Jul 11, 2010
Tulsa
I bet this enables the AWS radio.

Can modems be flashed seperately in Odin?

enviado por mi telefono cellular

rmorris

Jan 24, 2007
Los Angeles
Chicago is an area with AWS but I am in the burbs. Maybe just downtown.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using xda app-developers app

I just ran two speed tests. Inside my office I got 5 down. Outside of it (literally in the hallway) I got 30 down.....

Also, there is only one place where I drop calls on my drive. I started dropping calls there maybe a month ago and as of yesterday and today, I don't drop the calls. I'm thinking they took a tower off to upgrade and now it is back up and allowing AWS.

joeyx2

Sep 30, 2010
Is there a Web site somewhere that shows the locations where the New aws bands are? I'm in Virginia Beach and would like to know if it's in this area.

Bait-Fish

Aug 10, 2011
Southern California
Please don't rape my drop box. Modem https://db.tt/PLtz5Pbg
I'm interested in the new modem, but two download attempts to my phone result in files that are only 28.4 kb and MD5s. On top of that, they're empty.

@Surge1223, I didn't notice a dedicated thread yet. Have you posted this modem? I'm interested in its MD5 too before I attempt a flash. Many thanks!

Update: Chrome on my phone wasn't handling the download right. Using a different browser and device it worked

--OctOS powered VZW GS4 Dev Edition

Last edited:
You will lose root with no method of rerooting after and no way of downgrading back to ME7 either.

A new root method is tested working and coming soon for public, so no worries.

I am not guaranteeing anything as far as release is concerned but the new root method is definitely working of fully stock VRUDMI1 device (it's just being sorted out amoungst a few folks but hopefully will come sooner rather than later).

If you take the Samsung Kies update or the manual tar file via ODIN you will lose root guaranteed and no way around that. If you just simply took the OTA (which just came out today) you will lose root as well.

However if you used Voodoo OTA Root Keeper and then took the OTA (likely what those folks on Droid-Life comments did) then it will keep root but if you lose it for some reason later on you won't get it back until the new root method is released for this new build.

This is usually the case with all Samsung devices for the longest time now.

Are you congratulating him for no reason? You 100% sure this new update uses the new AWS? :confused:

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Any links to threads or sites for this new root method?

Acedroid1

Feb 11, 2012
Stoughton, MA
I can confirm that using voodoo ota root keeper does in fact work. Mind you I'm only rooted, no safestrap or anything. Glad it worked, been a few months since I've been on android (returned from an iPhone 5)and glad not much has changed.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Mightycaptain

May 19, 2013
Morganton, NC
I'm interested in the new modem, but two download attempts to my phone result in files that are only 28.4 kb and MD5s. On top of that, they're empty.

@Surge1223, I didn't notice a dedicated thread yet. Have you posted this modem? I'm interested in its MD5 too before I attempt a flash. Many thanks!

--OctOS powered VZW GS4 Dev Edition

Might have to download to the pc first and transfer, I don't know why that matters sometimes for some people but it seems too. I DL last night straight to the phone . No issues. Ran the radio all day. Less impressed now than I was last night. But if it enables that extra band it would be worth it.

Reactions: Bait-Fish

lynyrd65

Jul 11, 2010
Tulsa
To see what band you are on dial *#0011# and you will see the lte engineering screen.

Band class 13 is 700mhz lte

band class 4 is aws lte

The DL Bandwidth tells you which bandwidth of LTE is in your area

For example "DL Bandwidth: 10mhz"
Means you are on a 10x10mhz lte deployment.

Once someone shows band 4 on an engineering screen screenshot we know this modem enables AWS.

ToastyZ71

Sep 29, 2011
To see what band you are on dial *#0011# and you will see the lte engineering screen.

Band class 13 is 700mhz lte

band class 4 is aws lte

The DL Bandwidth tells you which bandwidth of LTE is in your area

For example "DL Bandwidth: 10mhz"
Means you are on a 10x10mhz lte deployment.

Once someone shows band 4 on an engineering screen screenshot we know this modem enables AWS.

That code does nothing in the dialer.

jeboo

Recognized Developer
Apr 2, 2010
I just took a quick look at aboot.mbn in this update and it looks like the "version" has been updated from the ME7 aboot. This likely means if you flash the MI1 bootloaders, you will NOT be able to revert to ME7/MDK bootloaders. The highlighted values below are checked when aboot is updated and most likely triggers the qfuse update if the new aboot ver > curr qfuse ver.

(Disclaimer: I don't have an i545, but I'm basing this off my analysis of the MF3 (ATT) bootloaders, which are very similar)

For reference, I'll show the change you can find with a simple hex editor:

MI1
Code:
0000000[B][COLOR="Red"]4[/COLOR][/B]00000009 SW_ID1

ME7
Code:
0000000[B][COLOR="Red"]3[/COLOR][/B]00000009 SW_ID1

Dollyllama

Oct 29, 2010
Flashed the new modem via safestrap. Thank you for posting the zip. In the event that I wish to flash back to the old me7 modem, is that available as well in a flashable zip?

vzwnexus

Sep 27, 2012
PORTLAND
Reactions: Dollyllama

Dollyllama

Oct 29, 2010
I didn't take it that way at all...I did search but only came up with Odin results... I'm tired I guess... Thank you for the help.

lynyrd65

Jul 11, 2010
Tulsa
That code does nothing in the dialer.
FYI this is what the screen looks like

te7ubyma.jpg

I flashed the new modem in safestrap. I am only seeing band 13 (700mhz) in my area (Tulsa, OK)

ToastyZ71

Sep 29, 2011
FYI this is what the screen looks like

te7ubyma.jpg

I flashed the new modem in safestrap. I am only seeing band 13 (700mhz) in my area (Tulsa, OK)

Since I'm only rooted, not unlocked (was on ME7, now MI1) I was a bit hesitant to try the steps for unlocking the codes myself. I did find and use the app on the play store and also verified band 13 here in Chicago suburbs. We'll see if it's the same at work tomorrow, closer to the city.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Please don't rape my drop box. Modem https://db.tt/PLtz5Pbg
    PLEASE NOTE BEFORE UPDATING TO THIS NEW BUILD

If you are on VRUAMDK, of course do not update AT ALL (due to the same bootloader situation that was on VRUAME7 - this has not changed). Just wait until the dev for the ROM you are currently running updates it to the new VRUDMI1 build themselves and then flash that.

If you are on VRUAME7, it is not yet confirmed that the root exploit is patched in VRUDMI1. The VRUAME7 root method does not work yet on VRUDMI1 because that exploit was coded to check for VRUAME7 build even if it does work on other builds. I am currently trying to get a hold of the user who helped to modify that exploit to work on VRUAME7 to do the same for the new build so we can test if the entire exploit is patched as of yet or not. Until then, please note there is no confirmation that the exploit has patched in the new build. As far as Safestrap is concerned, that will have to be determined AFTER we get root up and running on a full VRUDMI1 build (however if I had to guess, most likely Safestrap was not yet patched, but again, we will have to wait and see after we get root).
    I just took a quick look at aboot.mbn in this update and it looks like the "version" has been updated from the ME7 aboot. This likely means if you flash the MI1 bootloaders, you will NOT be able to revert to ME7/MDK bootloaders. The highlighted values below are checked when aboot is updated and most likely triggers the qfuse update if the new aboot ver > curr qfuse ver.

(Disclaimer: I don't have an i545, but I'm basing this off my analysis of the MF3 (ATT) bootloaders, which are very similar)

For reference, I'll show the change you can find with a simple hex editor:

MI1
    Code:
    0000000[B][COLOR="Red"]4[/COLOR][/B]00000009 SW_ID1

ME7
    Code:
    0000000[B][COLOR="Red"]3[/COLOR][/B]00000009 SW_ID1
    You guys realize this new update fixes root exploit that took a few months to surface on ME7 and probably made it even more difficult to install safestrap on locked bootloader?

On top of that this is still only 4.2.2 so not worth the risk at this time.

Sent from my Galaxy S4