FORUMS

[GUIDE]Swap Internal Memory to External & Vice Versa

1,415 posts
Thanks Meter: 578

Post Reply Email Thread
The Xperia M sure packs a lot in such a small device, but then, does it pack enough internal memory to install a huge number of applications? It does not. With just a little over 2 GB, it is very cumbersome to find that you cannot download data for large games. This guide aims to resolve that issue. Although it is not very user friendly at the moment (it requires you to type a few lines on the phone), I will get back to creating a script that you can execute this weekend.

Note: This guide requires you to be rooted. For rooting, you can follow this guide.

Quote:

Step 1: Setting up stuff

1. Find and download a suitable file explorer that allows you to modify and browse system files. I recommend Root Explorer. (Optional)
  2. Download and install Terminal Explorer from the Google Play Store.
  3. Download and install Script Manager from the Google Play Store. (Optional)

Step 2: Walking the path
  1. Open Terminal Emulator and type in
    Code:
    su
  2. Your root manager should request you for permission. Grant the app superuser permission.
  3. Type in
    Code:
    vold
  4. Press enter
  5. Type in
    Code:
    mount -t vfat -o umask:0000,uid=1000,gid=1023 /dev/block/vold/179:33 /storage/sdcard0
  6. Press enter.
  7. Type in
    Code:
    mount -o bind /data/media /storage/sdcard1
  8. Press enter.

And, that's it! You're almost done. Go to Settings > Storage and check the internal and external storage to see that they have been mounted. You can now install huge games and enjoy them on your M. This is a temporary workaround until this weekend as I will write a script to automate this once my exams are over. If anyone else wants to do it, they're welcome to!

Note: You will have to type this again every time you reboot the device. A bit cumbersome, but I hope you can hold on till the weekend.

Credits:
@darz
@raw235
@mattiadj
@Ace King 34
The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to gadgetroid For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift gadgetroid Ad-Free
21st October 2013, 05:55 PM |#2  
Flag Malang
Thanks Meter: 50

More
not work in FW XM Dual

how to swap internal and external in FW XMD ?
21st October 2013, 10:04 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Talking It Worked!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetroid

The Xperia M sure packs a lot in such a small device, but then, does it pack enough internal memory to install a huge number of applications? It does not. With just a little over 2 GB, it is very cumbersome to find that you cannot download data for large games. This guide aims to resolve that issue. Although it is not very user friendly at the moment (it requires you to type a few lines on the phone), I will get back to creating a script that you can execute this weekend.

Note: This guide requires you to be rooted. For rooting, you can follow this guide.

And, that's it! You're almost done. Go to Settings > Storage and check the internal and external storage to see that they have been mounted. You can now install huge games and enjoy them on your M. This is a temporary workaround until this weekend as I will write a script to automate this once my exams are over. If anyone else wants to do it, they're welcome to!

Note: You will have to type this again every time you reboot the device. A bit cumbersome, but I hope you can hold on till the weekend.

Credits:
@darz
@raw235
@mattiadj
@Ace King 34

Worked for me
13 GB internal storage
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_1970-01-02-00-14-54[1].jpg
Views:	8994
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	2341095  
The Following User Says Thank You to gavanid For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift gavanid Ad-Free
22nd October 2013, 03:16 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Mysore

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerialus

not work in FW XM Dual

how to swap internal and external in FW XMD ?

I will need your help for that. If you can use ADB and pull these files for me and zip and upload here, it would certainly be very helpful.

Pull the folder "/dev/block/vold"

Open Terminal Emulator that you downloaded and run these scripts

Code:
cat /proc/partitions > partitions
Press enter

Code:
mount > mount
Then, on the computer, open a command prompt window (or terminal on Linux) and type in

Code:
adb pull /partitions
Code:
adb pull /mount
Put these two files in the zip along with the vold folder and post them here. I will look into it and provide you the guide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jereMarfil24

@gadgetroid , will it work in Xperia M Dual 4.2 ?

Since it runs 4.2, I can't be very sure, as Sony may have changed device names. Once the above user submits the files, I will look into it and post the guide.
22nd October 2013, 04:49 AM |#6  
Flag Malang

More
Quote:

I will need your help for that. If you can use ADB and pull these files for me and zip and upload here, it would certainly be very helpful.

Pull the folder "/dev/block/vold"

Open Terminal Emulator that you downloaded and run these scripts

Code:
Press enter

i never use ADB ,, but i will try,,

when i do
Code:
in terminal emulator, the result is "can't create partitions: read only file system"

what is my fault?
22nd October 2013, 10:47 AM |#7  
Flag HARDA
Thanks Meter: 1,570

Donate to Me
More
Did u written su above?

Sent from my C1904 using Tapatalk 4
22nd October 2013, 11:14 AM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Mysore

More
Quote:

when i do

Code:
in terminal emulator, the result is "can't create partitions: read only file system"

what is my fault?

Perhaps you aren't rooted. That is why the script in the OP didn't work for you either.

When you type in su in the terminal, do you get any prompt on your phone?

Or perhaps it could be that you haven't rooted the device completely. You need busybox for making any operations on the ~/ partition.
22nd October 2013, 11:29 AM |#9  
Flag Malang

More
Quote:

Perhaps you aren't rooted. That is why the script in the OP didn't work for you either.

When you type in su in the terminal, do you get any prompt on your phone?

Or perhaps it could be that you haven't rooted the device completely. You need busybox for making any operations on the ~/ partition.

my device is already rooted and have Busybox installed,,

please look at my attachment
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-10-22-17-16-51.jpg
Views:	3018
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	2342417   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-10-22-17-19-16.jpg
Views:	2942
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	2342418   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-10-22-17-20-01.jpg
Views:	2923
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	2342419  
22nd October 2013, 12:58 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Mysore

More
Quote:

my device is already rooted and have Busybox installed,,

please look at my attachment

Have you used root fixer? As mentioned by the OP of the root thread? If you have ES File Explorer, just try mounting the system partition as r/w over there. If it reboots immediately, then you aren't rooted properly yet.

The Following User Says Thank You to gadgetroid For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift gadgetroid Ad-Free
22nd October 2013, 12:58 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 128

More
Quote:

i never use ADB ,, but i will try,,

when i do

Code:

what is my fault?

If I understand right the command will create the files "partitions" and "mount" directly into the root path that's why it claims "r/o file system"

try
Code:
cat /proc/partitions > /sdcard/partitions
and pull it on your computer then with
Code:
adb pull /sdcard/partitions
same with "mount"

this should create those files into the sdcard which is not read only.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
development

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)