Official Google event tomorrow evening in NY

Search This thread

Rock-&-Roll-Hedgehog

Jul 7, 2012
A number of blogs/tech sites are saying invitations have been sent out for a "Google Play" event in New York tomorrow (24th October) at 19.00hrs local time (0:00hrs 25th October BST (UK time)). That part seems to be definite.
Tech Radar say that they were told by Google it was just a meet & greet event, so no launches. But what some others are saying is that Kitkat 4.4, Nexus 5 & Nexus 10 2 might be launched at this event. Kitkat I think is an outside possibility, Nexus 5 & Nexus 10 2 not so much.

So far we have only rumours/speculation as to when these products (& OS) might be launched. I'm not stating this as gospel. But I thought it worth posting just in case even if it is only for Kitkat. And people would at least be forewarned in case they live stream it.
http://www.hngn.com/articles/15363/...xus-10-2-made-by-asus-to-debut-october-24.htm

love
Mrs Hedgehog

PS Not that I am desperate for them to release the Nexus 10 2 or anything. ;)

Last edited:

Warren_Orange

Jun 2, 2011
I think it's been confirmed that it's not for those devices.

Sent from my Nexus S using xda app-developers app

Sythrix

Jun 23, 2012
A number of blogs/tech sites are saying invitations have been sent out for a "Google Play" event in New York tomorrow (24th October) at 19.00hrs local time (0:00hrs 25th October BST (UK time)). That part seems to be definite.
Tech Radar say that they were told by Google it was just a meet & greet event, so no launches. But what some others are saying is that Kitkat 4.4, Nexus 5 & Nexus 10 2 might be launched at this event. Kitkat I think is an outside possibility, Nexus 5 & Nexus 10 2 not so much.

So far we have only rumours/speculation as to when these products (& OS) might be launched. I'm not stating this as gospel. But I thought it worth posting just in case even if it is only for Kitkat. And people would at least be forewarned in case they live stream it.
http://www.hngn.com/articles/15363/...xus-10-2-made-by-asus-to-debut-october-24.htm

love
Mrs Hedgehog

PS Not that I am desperate for them to release the Nexus 10 2 or anything. ;)

Sorry but these websites (IBTimes, Christian Post, etc) it's referring to are little better than a webcrawler putting together information that looks kind of like an article. They frequently just make up random crap to get clicks for their site and vicariously, ads. I would wait for a site such as android central or droid life to make some kind of announcement. As of right now, all official information is that the event will feature no news at all, and is just a small get together.

Rock-&-Roll-Hedgehog

Jul 7, 2012
Sorry but these websites (IBTimes, Christian Post, etc) it's referring to are little better than a webcrawler putting together information that looks kind of like an article. They frequently just make up random crap to get clicks for their site and vicariously, ads. I would wait for a site such as android central or droid life to make some kind of announcement. As of right now, all official information is that the event will feature no news at all, and is just a small get together.
I have freely admitted in the OP that I am clutching to the shortest of straws. And stated that I think it unlikely. However clutch I will. Even if we just get some more info on Kitkat I'm interested.

Sythrix

Jun 23, 2012
I have freely admitted in the OP that I am clutching to the shortest of straws. And stated that I think it unlikely. However clutch I will. Even if we just get some more info on Kitkat I'm interested.

Oh there's nothing wrong with that. I'm doing the same thing. I wish they'd turn around and say "psych! Everything will will be there! But I don't see them doing that.

Now that Apple has released the iPad Air, it puts them on the defensive end though. The more time that passes, the more likely people will overlook the Nexus 10. I'm not entirely sure Google cares though. They've already infiltrated the Apple ecosystem with most of their apps. Google's strategy is certainly one of slow, constant persistence. These tablets and phones are a kickback to people who support them I think, not a direct competitor with any other brands tablets. That's how it seems to me anyways.

Hopefully they don't keep us waiting too long. I sold the N10 in anticipation for this, and I've been waiting patiently for a while now. Come on Google.... don't wander into the world of Valve time....

Last edited:

abdel12345

Dec 25, 2012
We;; is 8:38 and no news about the event. It hasn't been streamed on youtube like other times and thers no updated blog about it either. Also theres been lots of errors with google services today? Coincidence? or could they have had some issues? Hopefully we'll know what went on in the conference by tomorrow but it most likely wan't any of the devices since it wasn't public.

prb304

Aug 9, 2009
Very suspicious that we've heard nothing I think.
I wonder if they did something huge and its all under embargo until a certain time?
Its quite odd to not hear anything from any of the major tech sites.

abdel12345

Dec 25, 2012
I wonder if they did something huge and its all under embargo until a certain time?

One of the "friends" that were invited made it sound like all they did was hang out with a bunch of other Google employees according to an article I read but why would they send out invites for that. I agree with u and I think they're planning something big and bribing the sites to stay quiet

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda app-developers app

Rock-&-Roll-Hedgehog

Jul 7, 2012

One of the "friends" that were invited made it sound like all they did was hang out with a bunch of other Google employees according to an article I read but why would they send out invites for that. I agree with u and I think they're planning something big and bribing the sites to stay quiet

I think you might both be being sarcastic.

love
Mrs Hedgehog
P.S I have just let go of that very short straw I was holding. No Nexus 10 2 clues. No Kitkat insights..... Woe is me.

Rock-&-Roll-Hedgehog

Jul 7, 2012
I was being 100% serious!
Ignore me I'm paronoid (& was 1/2 joking any way). Seen this....... curiouser & curiouser. http://www.geekosystem.com/google-play/

I didn’t break an NDA. The Google Play team didn’t think I would react the way I did when I got the invitation, and neglected to include some kind of note asking me not to share it.

a lot of speculators figured that Google engineered all of this on purpose to generate buzz in anticipation for their actual release event three days from now.

And some sites are saying it'll be the 31st of November not the 28th.

abdel12345

Dec 25, 2012

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I think you might both be being sarcastic.

love
    Mrs Hedgehog
    P.S I have just let go of that very short straw I was holding. No Nexus 10 2 clues. No Kitkat insights..... Woe is me.

I was being 100% serious!