FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Learn about the repo tool , manifests and local manifests and 5 important tips !

1,407 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,567

By Red Devil, Senior Member on 18th June 2013, 03:41 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
2nd November 2013, 05:14 PM |#81  
Thanks Meter: 720

More
Plug
no mention of using the groups switch?
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2496326

we should ALL be using more use of group tags in the manifest. In Jean-Baptiste's (you know, Google's own lead project manager) example he trimmed down to from 8.5GB to 3.6GB with some simple group switches to tailor for his build environment and target

I wish you would make a video. I have the attention span of a gnat :P

Thank you for writing this all out, though. I'm still trying to figure out how these projects come together. Maybe the groups thing will help you as well. I'll keep this thread subscribed so I can document anything I come up with.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jawz101 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jawz101 Ad-Free
2nd November 2013, 09:00 PM |#82  
OP Senior Member
Flag Mumbai

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawz101

no mention of using the groups switch?
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2496326

we should ALL be using more use of group tags in the manifest. In Jean-Baptiste's (you know, Google's own lead project manager) example he trimmed down to from 8.5GB to 3.6GB with some simple group switches to tailor for his build environment and target

I wish you would make a video. I have the attention span of a gnat :P

Thank you for writing this all out, though. I'm still trying to figure out how these projects come together. Maybe the groups thing will help you as well. I'll keep this thread subscribed so I can document anything I come up with.

Thanks for the kind words.I know about the specific groups that can be downloaded during the sync.. I was thinking why people didn't ask about it yet !! my aim of the guide was to help noobs start off in the right direction, and learn on how the tool can be used for various projects. I thought of adding it sometime ago. But from the relatively low feedback, I guess no one really has the patience to read even this much. Adding stuff to will reduce the readers even more
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Red Devil For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Red Devil Ad-Free
2nd November 2013, 09:21 PM |#83  
Inactive Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 5,801

Donate to Me
More
If you add that stuff then it will be cherry on the cake bro.. we are here to help.. If people are not giving any response to this then they are at loss as they are missing a big deal.. Well, till u struggle you don't learn..

Regards,
vishal_android freak
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vishal_android freak For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift vishal_android freak Ad-Free
2nd November 2013, 11:34 PM |#84  
Thanks Meter: 720

More
I have a few questions.. do I need anything that says emulator or eclipse to actually build the rom? I'd assume these are only needed if you plan on developing (eclipse) or test from your local machine (emulators)?

Wouldn't you be able to use eclipse & android-sdk on their own if you have it on your computer independently?
3rd November 2013, 05:46 AM |#85  
Flag Mumbai

Donate to Me
More
Emulator is used for testing the roms you compiled.. Eclipse for apps and other debugging stuff.. Once you compiled successfully, chances are less that rom wont boot.. If you are not sure then you can you emulator to test your rom..

Regards,
vishal_android freak
25th November 2013, 07:10 AM |#86  
Flag Purgatory
Thanks Meter: 166

More
hi there i already build my homemade cm10.2, so i would like know how to change the name in about phone...?for example like as you tap the about phone you will see "cyanogenmod Version" how to change that name to my rom name...?
25th November 2013, 04:16 PM |#87  
Flag Mumbai

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by roshan2989

hi there i already build my homemade cm10.2, so i would like know how to change the name in about phone...?for example like as you tap the about phone you will see "cyanogenmod Version" how to change that name to my rom name...?

The name under cyanogenmod version is by default created on compile time.. Later on, after the flashable zip is created, open build.prop and there you will see "ro.display.buildid" and "ro.cmversion" or similar lines or search for "cm-build_date-UNOFFICIAL-device_name.zip" replace it with the name you want to..

Regards,
vishal_android freak
9th December 2013, 03:44 PM |#88  
Thanks Meter: 858

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Devil

Thanks for the kind words.I know about the specific groups that can be downloaded during the sync.. I was thinking why people didn't ask about it yet !! my aim of the guide was to help noobs start off in the right direction, and learn on how the tool can be used for various projects. I thought of adding it sometime ago. But from the relatively low feedback, I guess no one really has the patience to read even this much. Adding stuff to will reduce the readers even more

Lovely guide! I wish I found this when I started compiling android a year ago. Could have saved me tons of time and bandwidth and headache.

I found this thread from here: http://docs.omnirom.org/Setting_Up_A...le_Environment

@Red Devil I really appreciate your guide. I wouldn't mind if you wrote more to include this "group" feature.
The Following User Says Thank You to akash3656 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift akash3656 Ad-Free
9th December 2013, 03:50 PM |#89  
OP Senior Member
Flag Mumbai

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by akash3656

Lovely guide! I wish I found this when I started compiling android a year ago. Could have saved me tons of time and bandwidth and headache.

I found this thread from here: http://docs.omnirom.org/Setting_Up_A...le_Environment

@Red Devil I really appreciate your guide. I wouldn't mind if you wrote more to include this "group" feature.

woah I did not notice it there ! thanks @pulser_g2 or whoever has included it there. I feel honored to have contributed to such a great project as Omni .

Sent from my Explorer A310e using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Red Devil For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Red Devil Ad-Free
10th December 2013, 11:47 AM |#90  
Flag Manama, Bahrain
Thanks Meter: 655

More
@Red Devil I find your guide extremely useful. Thank you for taking the time and effort into putting it up here for everyone
If you could please add the 'groups switch' guide. That would be wonderful.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nasty_z For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Nasty_z Ad-Free
10th December 2013, 02:58 PM |#91  
Recognized Contributor / Themer
Flag Chennai
Thanks Meter: 25,067

Donate to Me
More
Thanks a ton for your effort.

Was looking for this kind of guide.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vivek_Neel For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Vivek_Neel Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
compiling, guide, repo tool, rom, sync

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)