[HowTo] Opera Tablet Mode

Search This thread

ryan.nguyen

Jan 1, 2013
Thanks! I know that already, but I found that a bit too heavy for my ageing Streak.

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk 2

Oh, I don't think so. I'm very happy with DS till now. And Opera beta is not too heavy. Try-out with Off-Road mode On and Off-Road images: Low quality. Hope you'll be satisfied :good:

Last edited:
Reactions: Razak RK

dralex88

Jan 16, 2010
Can anyone help guide me to do this for my Z Ultra, please? Need the Phone mode badly... I don't know how to get ADB to use the commands...

Thanks in advance

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Opera Mobile is a nice browser and to my knowleage the only one that can turn off animated gifs. On the Streak Mini opera mobile has a clumsy interface: With the big buttons at the top and the bottom, there is less space for the content.
    Basically you have what you see in attachment one.

When you start opera on the Streak 7 or another devices with 800x480 you will get the sleek tablet mode interface. Like in attachment two.

What happend? Opera Inc. deliberately turns tablet mode off for the model name "Dell Streak"
    Here I will show how circumvent this.

Prerequisites:
    • adb and a connection to your device
    • java
    • aapt from android-sdk
    • apktool.jar
    • signapk.jar with testkey.x509.pem and testkey.pk8 (google for them, or create you own)
    • minimal commandline skills, how to edit text files
    • 20 MiB space in a temporary directory

Make a nandroid-backup before you tinker around!

Recipe:
    1. Fetch the opera-apk from your device with adb pull /data/app/com.opera.browser-1.apk
      Sometimes it is -2 or -3. Have a look with adb shell ls /data/app/com.opera.browser*
    2. Decompile the apk with java -jar apktool.jar d -r com.opera.browser-1.apk com.opera.browser
    3. You will find the model name "Dell Streak" inside "com.opera.browser/smali/com/opera/common/CommonUtils$2.smali"
      and "com.opera.browser/smali/com/opera/common/CommonUtils$1.smali"
      Basically these files define who should see tablet mode, and who not.
    4. Edit "com.opera.browser/smali/com/opera/common/CommonUtils$2.smali" and remove the lines
      Code:
          const-string v0, "Dell Streak"

invoke-virtual {p0, v0}, Lcom/opera/common/CommonUtils$2;->add(Ljava/lang/Object;)Z
    5. Edit "com.opera.browser/smali/com/opera/common/CommonUtils$1.smali" and add the following line lines just before "Dell Streak 7"
      Code:
          const-string v0, "Dell Streak"

invoke-virtual {p0, v0}, Lcom/opera/common/CommonUtils$1;->add(Ljava/lang/Object;)Z
    6. While at it, we should remove the unused libraries in "com.opera.browser/lib/armeabi". Delete the directory (leave armeabi-v7a alone!) and later gain 8 MiB space on your streak /data partition.
    7. Now we compile the changes into an (unsigned) apk with java -jar apktool.jar b com.opera.browser com.opera.browser_unsign.apk
    8. Sign the apk with java -jar signapk.jar testkey.x509.pem testkey.pk8 com.opera.browser_unsign.apk com.opera.browser.apk
    9. We can't update the opera-apk on the device, because we changed the signing key. That is no problem as long you have no preferences changed in opera or didn't made bookmarks. So it is time to backup your opera configuration with adb shell tar cf /data/local/tmp/backup.tar data/data/com.opera.browser/opera
    10. Now we uninstall the old opera apk with adb uninstall com.opera.browser
    11. ... and install the modified apk with adb install com.opera.browser.apk
    12. Last step is to get back our old configuration with adb shell tar xf /data/local/tmp/backup.tar

I'm not so ever responsible of any damages you create while trying to reproduce this guidance.

Have fun,
    hunderteins
    No probs in applying the patch, dumb question - can opera top bar be removed?
    Did you mean a patched apk? I can share mine.
    Hi dude.. Really a very nice work:) looks great..:) Can you upload the final apk file alone..? since I m not very keen with this work please.. ;) B. R