[APP][MOD]Hangouts v2.0 VZW

Search This thread

renzo.olivares

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 6, 2011
Title says it all it's the hangouts 2.0 app modified so that MMS for verizon actually works, I just added verizon's apn's back to the apns.xml in /res/xml/apns.xml because google left them out......

heres the link to the app: http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23203820527945732

for some reason i can't get it to install just by pressing install. i had to remove the hangouts/talk app....and then had to use es file explorer to move the modded hangouts app to /system/app/ then it worked. but yea i can finally send mms now :)

ickedmel

Jul 10, 2010
What are your guys thoughts on hangouts using as sms instead of sense sms ?

Sent from my dlx using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

volfan22

Apr 3, 2011
Title says it all it's the hangouts 2.0 app modified so that MMS for verizon actually works, I just added verizon's apn's back to the apns.xml in /res/xml/apns.xml because google left them out......

heres the link to the app: http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23203820527945732

for some reason i can't get it to install just by pressing install. i had to remove the hangouts/talk app....and then had to use es file explorer to move the modded hangouts app to /system/app/ then it worked. but yea i can finally send mms now :)

I am running Crdroid 4.3 and I couldn't get it to work using your instructions. Just force closes every time I open the app.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda app-developers app

Johnson90512

Feb 7, 2010
Atlanta

I moved it there, but how do I use it once its been moved?

I saw your post, and thought "maybe I could inject Straight Talk's APN info in, and get MMS working too!" ... I can't even compile the APK through APKTool. I keep getting errors about no resource with given name... Decompile worked, but compilation didn't. Did you use anything special to recompile the APK once you edited /res/xml/apns.xml?

Last edited:

Johnson90512

Feb 7, 2010
Atlanta
I saw your post, and thought "maybe I could inject Straight Talk's APN info in, and get MMS working too!" ... I can't even compile the APK through APKTool. I keep getting errors about no resource with given name...Decompile worked, but compilation worked. Did you use anything special to recompile the APK once you edited /res/xml/apns.xml?

We're you able to get this installed? I can't for the life of me figure out how, no matter what I do, it doesn't work.

We're you able to get this installed? I can't for the life of me figure out how, no matter what I do, it doesn't work.

I need to get recompilation to work before I can install it... Unfortunately, I don't know what I'm missing as to why I get the resource not found errors.

DevonL

Oct 1, 2010
Hm, not entirely sure if I'm missing something or what. Running Newt's latest release of Sense 5.0 and I can't even change the permissions to write to /system/app/ utilizing ES File Explorer. I set it as Root Explorer and when trying to change permissions to Writable for Group/Other I get "Sorry, operation failed." If I don't change the permissions at all and just try and paste it I am told "Permission denied."

EDIT: Was able to utilize root browser to get your apk to /system/app/ but still cannot get the app to install.

Last edited:

Johnson90512

Feb 7, 2010
Atlanta
Thank you, I thought I was crazy. I have tried everything I know, and I saw all htese posts about Hangouts working just fine with pictures, and I thought maybe mine was broken. So if you can shed any light Joelz, we would love you forever....again :)

DevonL

Oct 1, 2010
So I transferred it into /system/app/ (as an apk), removed the update of Hangouts and then Disabled Talk through app settings. Rebooted the phone - no Hangouts. Used Root Explorer to try and install Hangouts from /system/app/ - still just says "App not installed."

EDIT: Just to rule it out, I modified the permissions of the apk. Still nothing.

Johnson90512

Feb 7, 2010
Atlanta
So I got it. After you place it in the /system/app restart your phone

So I removed the other hangout app, and then went into es file explorer and copy and pasted the apk into the /system/app/ folder then restarted the phone, but nothing shows up in the app drawer, and I can't install it. What am I doing wrong?

---------- Post added at 05:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:59 AM ----------

So I transferred it into /system/app/ (as an apk), removed the update of Hangouts and then Disabled Talk through app settings. Rebooted the phone - no Hangouts. Used Root Explorer to try and install Hangouts from /system/app/ - still just says "App not installed."

EDIT: Just to rule it out, I modified the permissions of the apk. Still nothing.

I did the same thing as you, what rom are you using?

DevonL

Oct 1, 2010
So I removed the other hangout app, and then went into es file explorer and copy and pasted the apk into the /system/app/ folder then restarted the phone, but nothing shows up in the app drawer, and I can't install it. What am I doing wrong?

---------- Post added at 05:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:59 AM ----------

I did the same thing as you, what rom are you using?
Newt's last stable build of Sense 5

Kagedin

Jul 28, 2010
I was able to get it to install by backing up the original hangouts app then removing it from data/app then moved the modified one to system/app and changed permissions, then rebooted. The app worked but unfortunately mms isn't working, I haven't been able to receive mms messages they don't appear in hangouts or the default messaging app. I'm running NOS GPE.

Sent from my DLX using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I thought I did, but what are the permissions supposed to be, maybe I'm not setting them to the right thing. So I put it in system/app/ then change the permission then restart, and I then it should just show up or I should be able to install it or what? Because the last times I've done it, nothing shows up when I restart it: :)

Thank you for working with me

Easy answer is to check some other apps permissions. It should be all for owner, read for group, none for other. If using chmod, the chmod code would be 740.

i'm using it right now, multipart sms is all i'm missing other than that i like the UI better of hangouts

It's definitely better than CM's built in messenger.
    i dont need the apns just tell me what carriers and i'll add them, tell me in the next day, don't want to update 3-4 times for one carrier lol, also you must make 100%%%% sure that the original hangouts/talk app is removed from your before you try to install in /system/app/ and /data/app/