FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[APP] Linux-on-Android project (Complete Linux Installer)

2,889 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,814

Post Reply Email Thread
4th November 2013, 12:52 AM |#1861  
Flag Cleveland, Ohio
Thanks Meter: 506

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcianoS

I'm experimenting with it now. Just FYI (I understand it's not a supported image, so I don't expect any help with this), I'm having the following issues.

1. When I first start it from the app, I get an error message in the Terminal:

mount: mounting devpts on /data/local/mnt/dev/pts failed: no such file or directory
Error: Unable to mount /data/local/mnt/dev/pts!

2. If I then exit the terminal and Start linux again, I get a dialog box that says that another image is already mounted and that I can chroot into it (in the app). If I say Yes, this time archlinux does boot (I gett the root@localhost prompt).Everything seems to work!

3. However, once I log out of MATE, disconnect, and exit, the linux environment is not properly shut down. In particular, I have some stray processes (dbus for instance) and hence the image is not unmounted. Not sure if this has any negative consequences, but it is not what "usually" happens with LOA. The only way I can get rid of this is by rebooting---I tried killing processes via ps from the terminal, but either I kill too many and get bumped out of the root shell, or I don' tkill enouhg and the image still does not unmount (when I give the umount command, I get a "device or resource busy" error).

Just fyi...

I had to slightly change the bootscript.sh file to work with Arch Linux. It will still work with all other images. You can download it here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/linu...ix.sh/download

Just rename to bootscript.sh and place in /data/data/com.zpwebsites.linuxonandroid/files/
The Following User Says Thank You to k3v0 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift k3v0 Ad-Free

4th November 2013, 03:27 AM |#1862  
Flag Chicago, IL
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Yes, that worked! Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to MarcianoS For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MarcianoS Ad-Free
4th November 2013, 07:00 PM |#1863  
North Potomac
Thanks Meter: 899

More
I've really gotten to appreciate using Mate on fedora 19. The problem I'm finding is that the repositories for Fedora don't have some of the software I need to use. On the other hand, I can find pretty much everything i need for Ubuntu 13.10 using the Ubuntu and Debian repositories. But here I am using LXDE (KDE, for some unknown reason, did not work on my GN3) which is less customizable than Mate and hence a little more difficult to use on phone screen. Is there a way to install Mate on Ubuntu 13.10. What repository would I use for this and would I put mate-session at end of xstartup file?

Thanks!
4th November 2013, 07:06 PM |#1864  
Flag Cleveland, Ohio

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mscion

I've really gotten to appreciate using Mate on fedora 19. The problem I'm finding is that the repositories for Fedora don't have some of the software I need to use. On the other hand, I can find pretty much everything i need for Ubuntu 13.10 using the Ubuntu and Debian repositories. But here I am using LXDE (KDE, for some unknown reason, did not work on my GN3) which is less customizable than Mate and hence a little more difficult to use on phone screen. Is there a way to install Mate on Ubuntu 13.10. What repository would I use for this and would I put mate-session at end of xstartup file?

Thanks!

Mate is not available for armhf for any Debian-based distro: Kali, Ubuntu, Debian, etc. Only Fedora and Arch Linux can run Mate on ARM, at the moment.

The repository and installation instructions are here http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/download but sadly only available for x86 and amd64.
The Following User Says Thank You to k3v0 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift k3v0 Ad-Free
6th November 2013, 03:05 PM |#1865  
North Potomac

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by k3v0

Mate is not available for armhf for any Debian-based distro: Kali, Ubuntu, Debian, etc. Only Fedora and Arch Linux can run Mate on ARM, at the moment.

The repository and installation instructions are here http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/download but sadly only available for x86 and amd64.

I was trying to get wxmaxima to work and noticed there was no version of maxima for arm on fedora 19. As it turns out the arm rpm for fedora 20 installed and worked with the wxmaxima that is available for fedora 19 on LoA. Think I'm luckly here!.

A couple of problems.

1)When my screen times out I cannot log back in as my fedora password does not work. I tried to reset it in the root@localhost terminal but it does not recognize it.
2)When I try to use the default terminal I get the error:

There was an error creating the child process for this terminal
grantpt failed. Operation not permitted

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help!

EDIT: For now I set the screen saver so it does not lock the screen. Just wondering why the password doesn't work...

EDIT 2: I found on the web that

mount -o remount,gid=5,mode=620 /dev/pts

fixes the problem with the terminal.
The Following User Says Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mscion Ad-Free
6th November 2013, 07:57 PM |#1866  
Flag Cleveland, Ohio

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mscion

A couple of problems.

1)When my screen times out I cannot log back in as my fedora password does not work. I tried to reset it in the root@localhost terminal but it does not recognize it.
2)When I try to use the default terminal I get the error:

There was an error creating the child process for this terminal
grantpt failed. Operation not permitted

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help!

EDIT: For now I set the screen saver so it does not lock the screen. Just wondering why the password doesn't work...

Thank you for testing this image.

I just downloaded the most recent Fedora image (the same one you are running) and my password works though I left it as the default: fedora

To reset your password you can always
Code:
 rm /root/DONOTDELETE.txt
Edit: removed rather unhelpful suggestion
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to k3v0 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift k3v0 Ad-Free
7th November 2013, 05:21 PM |#1867  
Flag Cleveland, Ohio

More
Updated Fedora 19 image to v3 and moved out of Beta. Thanks @mscion for testing. Am now working on the Fedora 20 image.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/linu...les/Fedora/19/

Edit: Fedora 20 posted to SF

http://sourceforge.net/projects/linu...les/Fedora/20/
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to k3v0 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift k3v0 Ad-Free
15th November 2013, 11:12 AM |#1868  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xda23

Hi! everytime that try to download a image it downloads and says that download is complete but then it says file is bad size.what would cause that to happen. And how do I fix this problem for I can download a successful image. Thanks

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda app-developers app

I had the same problem when I used es file explorer to open the zip file. But when I used zarchiver, i can extract the same file i downloaded with no problem.

Sent from my WM8850-mid using Tapatalk
19th November 2013, 07:31 PM |#1869  
North Potomac

More
Change Boot Linux Icon
Hi. Hopefully without sounding too picky, I would like to request that the Boot Linux icon be replaced with the one that is used to initially set up boot scripts and such. As can be seen in the screen shot the boot linux (widget) icon on the left isn't as nice as the starter one. I would suggest replacing the starter icon with the letters LoA overlayed on the image of Tux. If you can give some guidance on how to replace the boot linux with tha starter so I can do it myself that would be fine too.
Thanks and I do appreciate your efforts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-11-19-10-53-51.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	2402662  
The Following User Says Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mscion Ad-Free
25th November 2013, 11:51 AM |#1870  
Thanks Meter: 53

More
I get an error when starting VNC using the Ubuntu 13.10 Large Ext4 image:

/root/init.sh: line 110 [: ==; unary operator expected

This is on my Nexus 7 2013 running stock Kit Kat with ElementalX 2.1 kernel.\

Edit:/ Just tried the small image too and it's doing the same thing.
25th November 2013, 03:16 PM |#1871  
Flag Cleveland, Ohio

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPWNtehNOOB

I get an error when starting VNC using the Ubuntu 13.10 Large Ext4 image:

/root/init.sh: line 110 [: ==; unary operator expected

This is on my Nexus 7 2013 running stock Kit Kat with ElementalX 2.1 kernel.\

Edit:/ Just tried the small image too and it's doing the same thing.

Did you respond to the questions about starting vnc and ssh or just press enter?

Also, on kitkat you need to enter the superuser password at the prompt. By default that password is ubuntu (all lowercase)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)