[GUIDE] House of Moto

Search This thread

bigv5150

Jan 8, 2011
Ok since there is a new house of moto and some of the instructions have changed I am deleting the old instructions go here http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php/topic/28162-house-of-moto-20/ and follow Samuri's instructions if you get stuck I will still attempt to help you out I am not going to re write all the instructions again. Trying to piece it together will cause more confusion then help. Please read then re-read his instructions they are all you need after all he created the house of moto. If you cant figure it out pm me or post here and I will try to help the best I can. Here are his instructions for quick reference but you have to got to the above link to download everything.

ALL CREDIT GOES TO SAMURI HL FOR CREATING THIS AWESOME TOOL.

Please do yourself a favor and read, read again, and read one more time before installing and using this tool. If it's set up correctly, it's very easy to use. But if you don't follow directions, it'll either not work or not do what you expect. Failure to read and follow the directions is NOT a defect of the tool!

Mission statement for tool:

This will allow users to have a user friendly framework automation tool for new Motorola devices. Easily customized for any device that allows RSD or fastboot flashing of custom scripts that perform various functions. Most notably is when a user screws something up and the phone no longer boots (so called soft bricking). The KEEP DATA and/or FULL scripts can restore the partitions of the phone to minty factory fresh in the event that your phone doesn't boot.

WARNING: Upgrades from 1.4 are NOT supported. Install CLEAN. You have been warned.

SETUP:

Required Steps
o) You MUST have the latest Motorola USB driver installed: http://lmgtfy.com/?q...rola USB driver
o) Download: HouseOfMoto_2.0.zip
o) Extract the HouseOfMoto folder in the zip to your hard drive. IMPORTANT: Make sure no spaces are in the path. (Windows users should extract it to C:\)
o) Download the support file for your device and extract into your HouseOfMoto directory. (see device support below)
o) Download your FXZ from here: http://sbf.droid-developers.org/ [Site is back, BUT, very limited. It'll take time to repopulate it]
o) Add the FXZ files to your HouseOfMoto\FXZ_xtYYY directory. (see Adding the FXZ below)

Optional Steps
o) If root exists for your device, add the files to the root folder. Make sure run.bat and/or run.sh exists.

CLARIFICATION: When I say "if root exists for your phone" I'm referring to a root exploit that has a run.bat script in order to install root. If that doesn't exist for your phone, or your root exploit does not have a run.bat, this does not apply to you. This is ONLY for adding an option to root your phone to the House of Moto menu as a convenience option. It is NOT a required step.

Linux/Mac Notes:

o) You may need to chmod +x HouseOfMoto.sh
o) You may need to run HouseOfMoto.sh as sudo

Usage:

o) Your phone MUST be in AP Fastboot mode. Try holding volume down and pressing the power button when the phone is off.
o) Run the HouseOfMoto.bat or HouseOfMoto.sh in your HouseOfMoto directory
o) On first run:
Enter your device model (xt926, xt875, etc)
For Windows: Select flash mode: rsd or fastboot
o) Flash mode on Windows can be changed from the main menu
o) Phone model can be changed from the main menu
o) Select the script you wish to flash
o) Follow directions!

Adding the FXZ:

This part confuses a LOT of people so I'm going to use the FXZ for the xt926 as an example of how this should work. Obviously you'll need to use the proper FXZ for your device, but, the concept is generally the same.

This is a point that many get wrong so please follow this carefully...

When you open your VRZ_XT926_9.8.1Q-79-1_CFC.xml.zip file, you will see a directory inside it. You must go INTO the directory inside the zip. There you will see a whole bunch of files. Select them all, and extract them into the FXZ_xt926 folder. All the files must be at the root of the FXZ_xt926 folder, NOT in a sub folder within it. If you have this:

HouseOfMoto\FXZ_xt926\VRZ_XT926_9.8.1Q-79-1_CFC.xml\boot.img

It's wrong. If instead you have this:

HouseOfMoto\FXZ_xt926\boot.img

It's correct.

DEVICE SUPPORT:

o) xt875
o) xt907
o) xt912
o) xt926
o) xt1030
o) xt1080

NOTES:

o) xtYYY is the device model...i.e. xt1058, xt895, etc

DA FAQ:
Q: What flash mode should I pick?
A: Whether you use RSD or fastboot is a personal choice and completely up to you. If you have problems flashing in one mode, you can switch to the other and try again to see if you get better results.

SUPPORT:

If I tell you to create a log and post it, you are to run the CreateLOG.bat file to your c:\HouseOfMoto directory and post the results in this thread.

Last edited:

lioryte

Dec 30, 2008
Miami
OP Plz update on Houseofmoto v1.4 when creating the FXZ version only the phone model, (i.e. FXZ_xt1080) Is needed. Also the Thread name needs to be [GUIDE] Return to stock and stickty IMO

Ansky11

Feb 21, 2013
Just want to make sure I'm understanding this right. I rooted my Maxx with PwnMyMoto. I also made some modification to allow for wifi tethering. I'm pretty sure I want to return to 100% stock, so that I can receive OTA updates. I can use House of Moto to accomplish this, and my Maxx will be like it was, fresh outta the box?

bigv5150

Jan 8, 2011
Just want to make sure I'm understanding this right. I rooted my Maxx with PwnMyMoto. I also made some modification to allow for wifi tethering. I'm pretty sure I want to return to 100% stock, so that I can receive OTA updates. I can use House of Moto to accomplish this, and my Maxx will be like it was, fresh outta the box?

Yes what is better is you can choose the save data fxz and it will return you to stock but leave all your apps and data alone.

redddog

Jul 27, 2011
** Moderators if this is in the wrong forum please move it also be advised I have contacted Samuri and he is fine with me posting this information.

ALL CREDIT GOES TO SamuriHL

Ok guys we have root this is great but I keep seeing guys having problems with installing it jcase has been great in evolving the root apk to accommodate us. I just thought I would try to lend some assistance because I know he is busy and a lot of us aren't as computer savvy as these guys. If you didn't have a bionic then you may not know who Samuri is but he made a tool for bionic owners it was great and very useful. He has since moved on from the bionic but after I contacted him about a tool for the Maxx he as usual came through. He created a Moto tool for several of the new devices and old. It is located here---> http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php/topic/28162-house-of-moto/ This tool will let you fxz full or fxz save data. If you don't know the difference fxz full will wipe the phone to out of the box fresh. Save data will install just the system but not touch your user data ie apps, wallpaper etc. Now to the good news any one that is having an issue still with root download use the above tool and use the fxz save data option it will wipe out root and you can start fresh. It will give you back your stock recovery as well. I had no problem with root but I tested this to make sure it would work. I just re-rooted the whole process took less than 15 minutes.

Below I will give instructions for the laymen if you find the instructions a little confusing in the House of Moto. If you get stuck PM me and I will try to help I am no genius when it comes to this but I have made most of the mistakes and learned from them. If I can't figure it out then you will have to contact the creator Samuri. But be forewarned he has little patience for stupidity. This is the reason I am taking the time to do this to assist him with the less knowledgeable. Remember he no longer owns a moto phone he did this out of the goodness of his heart.

Set up and installation:

1) install the House of Moto 1.2
2) Run it and let it extract to c:\HouseOfMoto it does this automatically
3) Create an FXZ_xxx_xtYYY directory where xxx is the FXZ version (MR4, 98.72.22, etc) and xtYYY is your device (xt926, xt875, etc) it should look like this FXZ_12.7.7_xt1080. You can go here---> http://sbf.droid-developers.org/ and download the FXZ for your device
4) Add the FXZ files to your new FXZ_xxx_xtYYY directory
5) Add the scripts for your device to your rsd_scripts and/or fastboot_scripts directories. See Adding support for an xtYY device. The scripts are at the bottom of the first post under support just find your phone download and execute, it will put them in the proper file in the house of moto.
6) the next step talks about root but we don't need that since we have an apk to re-root so I disregarded this step.

Using the House Of Moto:

1) Run the HouseOfMoto.bat in your c:\HouseOfMoto directory be advised if you make a desktop short cut of the run bat. file it will throw an error stating you need to install rsd which is already installed in the tool. You have to run the House of moto bat. file from within the house of moto folder.
2) On first run: Enter your device model (xt926, xt875, etc) Select flash mode: rsd, fastboot [snapdragon], or fastboot [omap]
3) flash mode can be changed from the main menu
4) device model can be changed from the main menu
5) Select the script you wish to execute ie. Full FXZ Save Data FXZ
6) Follow directions!

There are further instructions in the above thread for creating the FXZ file. I will say this simply when you create the FXZ file it should not have a file folder inside it. Meaning the FXZ file you placed in the House of Moto will say if you have a maxx FXZ_12.7.7_xt1080. When you open this file it shoud contain the whole FXZ not another file you have to open. So extract the FXZ then cut and paste it in the FXZ folder if you don't you will get an error.

This is what your house of moto should look like when you open it:

fastboot_scripts---> will contain Full_xt1080(or whatever phone you use) and Keep-data_xt1080 (or whatever phone you use)

FXZ_12.7.7_xt1080--->again when you open this file you should see the FXZ files not a folder that you have to access.
root
rsd
rsd_scripts---> will contain Full_xt1080(or whatever phone you use) and Keep-data_xt1080 (or whatever phone you use)
utils
flashmode
House of Moto
phone--->you will not see this until you type in what phone you want to use in step 2 above under using the house of moto

Just to sum things up the above tool will put everything where it needs to be except the FXZ that you have to do yourself. Good luck this is truly a useful tool.

One more thing I sent Samuri the xml files for the moto x (verizon and at&t models) also the mini and ultra he said the xml files are so close it was ridiculous. This is a quote from Samuri for being able to use this tool with an ultra mini or moto x

An anonymous donor sent me the xt1030, xt1058, and xt1060 FXZ xml's. They all use the same files as the xt1080 in their respective FXZ's. It's just a matter of me renaming the xt1080 scripts a bunch of times for the different models and packaging them up. Or if people need it before I get them posted, take the xt1080 package and rename the 4 scripts to xt10xx depending on your model and it'll work just fine. Moto's making my life a lot easier that's for sure! In fact I'll write a batch file so that if I ever have to change them for any reason it'll just create them all. LOL.

Dammit. I knew I'd be the one idiot.

Followed to the letter and when I run the .BAT, I get :

"Warning: Please check input file. Either XML format is wrong or image files associated with it are missing."

Any ideas that an idiot may be able to follow along with?

FIGURED IT OUT:

Didn't save to C drive. saved it to desktop.

Last edited:
Reactions: chewybang

doomedromance

Sep 23, 2009
Pearl City
Trying to do this but it seems to fail to install recovery even though it says successful. Tried to download fxz file a couple times and it always gives errors on unpacking, which may be issue.
It was successful at destroying my sim card though.... I have no service now.

chaseacej

Nov 21, 2008
One thing to keep in mind that stumped me for a few was the model number. When you go to download the FXZ file the droid maxx is xt1080m. You don't use that as your model number you type into house of moto. Just use xt1080.

Reactions: inkdaddy66

Qb411

Nov 8, 2013
Difficulties with howto...

Sorry guys,

I'm having a hell of a time but I have a problem related to this. At current my phone took the OTA while I was rooted and its now boot-looped. I'm trying to revert to the stock firmware, and someone suggested this option. I'm having problems with the step here:

5) Add the scripts for your device to your rsd_scripts and/or fastboot_scripts directories. See Adding support for an xtYY device. The scripts are at the bottom of the first post under support just find your phone download and execute, it will put them in the proper file in the house of moto.

This step is odd, what scripts are you supposed to add to the RSD/Fastboot scripts? Where do I get the scripts? From the FXZ passage?

beelow319

Feb 7, 2012
Sorry guys,

I'm having a hell of a time but I have a problem related to this. At current my phone took the OTA while I was rooted and its now boot-looped. I'm trying to revert to the stock firmware, and someone suggested this option. I'm having problems with the step here:

This step is odd, what scripts are you supposed to add to the RSD/Fastboot scripts? Where do I get the scripts? From the FXZ passage?

the scripts are near the bottom of the post where you download houseofmoto, scroll down til you see Support in bold. theres a link for xt1080 scripts, just download them and place them in the correct folder.

the3dolla

Jun 5, 2010
hmmmm

the scripts are near the bottom of the post where you download houseofmoto, scroll down til you see Support in bold. theres a link for xt1080 scripts, just download them and place them in the correct folder.

I had trouble with this when I chose fastboot omap and did the "keep data" option. It went through said it flashed stuffs, but I still had root. I changed it to fastboot snapdragon and did it again and then it worked. I have a Droid Maxx and used Pwnmymoto a month ago, which flashed my recovery, thus the need to fixor that.

---------- Post added at 07:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:46 PM ----------

I had trouble with this when I chose fastboot omap and did the "keep data" option. It went through said it flashed stuffs, but I still had root. I changed it to fastboot snapdragon and did it again and then it worked. I have a Droid Maxx and used Pwnmymoto a month ago, which flashed my recovery, thus the need to fixor that.

Also, just FYI, update went fine and hotspot still works, guess I won't worry about adaway working until an easy root method is found, so I can unroot easier for kitkat.

SamuriHL

Aug 5, 2010
Just chiming in to say if you all need anything let me know. I've helped a lot of people today get their MAXX back to stock so they can take the ota. Seems to be working once people get it setup properly.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 4

Reactions: jughead75

daca1001

Oct 13, 2007
Kinda stuck. Tried using the flash with data for my XT1080 and the screen says waiting on device. I know i did something wrong but not sure what. Any help would be appreciated.

Device is plugged in via USB. I think I have everything in the right folders. Can I just close the command prompt window without hurting the phone?

Attachments

• xt1080_house_of_motto.png
    xt1080_house_of_motto.png
    50.7 KB · Views: 243

bigv5150

Jan 8, 2011
Ok I updated the instructions I wrote these instructions with the first house of moto and the naming of the fxz changed. Your FXZ file in house of moto should look like this FXZ_xt1080 or what ever phone you are using not FXZ_12.7.7_xt1080. Sorry for the confusion if you were having a problem with house of moto finding the FXZ this is why.

If this was an issue for anyone I am sorry to be honest I stopped checking this thread a while ago. I created this thread on Sept. 19 and kept trying to tell people to download the tool even if they did not need it, better to safe then sorry. I kept checking but no posts or ?'s so after a month or so seeing no one posting here I figured no one cared or wanted this tool and I forgot about it until I received a pm a few days ago. If you have a question I will try to help but please give me as much info as possible.

Last edited:

daca1001

Oct 13, 2007
Ok I updated the instructions I wrote these instructions with the first house of moto and the naming of the fxz changed. Your FXZ file in house of moto should look like this FXZ_xt1080 or what ever phone you are using not FXZ_12.7.7_xt1080. Sorry for the confusion if you were having a problem with house of moto finding the FXZ this is why.

That got me passed my issue. Phone rebooted and now its updating. We'll see what happens from here. Thanks for the update.

bigv5150

Jan 8, 2011
In regards to what flash mode to use its rsd for the fxz keep data or full fxz. If you want to run fast boot commands then you would chose fastboot snapdragon.

Reactions: inkdaddy66

bigv5150

Jan 8, 2011
That got me passed my issue. Phone rebooted and now its updating. We'll see what happens from here. Thanks for the update.

You should be good now this tool is awesome you will use it again and again trust me. You will do something stupid to your phone and have a DOH!!! moment and this will fix it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok since there is a new house of moto and some of the instructions have changed I am deleting the old instructions go here http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php/topic/28162-house-of-moto-20/ and follow Samuri's instructions if you get stuck I will still attempt to help you out I am not going to re write all the instructions again. Trying to piece it together will cause more confusion then help. Please read then re-read his instructions they are all you need after all he created the house of moto. If you cant figure it out pm me or post here and I will try to help the best I can. Here are his instructions for quick reference but you have to got to the above link to download everything.

ALL CREDIT GOES TO SAMURI HL FOR CREATING THIS AWESOME TOOL.

Please do yourself a favor and read, read again, and read one more time before installing and using this tool. If it's set up correctly, it's very easy to use. But if you don't follow directions, it'll either not work or not do what you expect. Failure to read and follow the directions is NOT a defect of the tool!

Mission statement for tool:

This will allow users to have a user friendly framework automation tool for new Motorola devices. Easily customized for any device that allows RSD or fastboot flashing of custom scripts that perform various functions. Most notably is when a user screws something up and the phone no longer boots (so called soft bricking). The KEEP DATA and/or FULL scripts can restore the partitions of the phone to minty factory fresh in the event that your phone doesn't boot.

WARNING: Upgrades from 1.4 are NOT supported. Install CLEAN. You have been warned.

SETUP:

Required Steps
    o) You MUST have the latest Motorola USB driver installed: http://lmgtfy.com/?q...rola USB driver
    o) Download: HouseOfMoto_2.0.zip
    o) Extract the HouseOfMoto folder in the zip to your hard drive. IMPORTANT: Make sure no spaces are in the path. (Windows users should extract it to C:\)
    o) Download the support file for your device and extract into your HouseOfMoto directory. (see device support below)
    o) Download your FXZ from here: http://sbf.droid-developers.org/ [Site is back, BUT, very limited. It'll take time to repopulate it]
    o) Add the FXZ files to your HouseOfMoto\FXZ_xtYYY directory. (see Adding the FXZ below)

Optional Steps
    o) If root exists for your device, add the files to the root folder. Make sure run.bat and/or run.sh exists.

CLARIFICATION: When I say "if root exists for your phone" I'm referring to a root exploit that has a run.bat script in order to install root. If that doesn't exist for your phone, or your root exploit does not have a run.bat, this does not apply to you. This is ONLY for adding an option to root your phone to the House of Moto menu as a convenience option. It is NOT a required step.

Linux/Mac Notes:

o) You may need to chmod +x HouseOfMoto.sh
    o) You may need to run HouseOfMoto.sh as sudo

Usage:

o) Your phone MUST be in AP Fastboot mode. Try holding volume down and pressing the power button when the phone is off.
    o) Run the HouseOfMoto.bat or HouseOfMoto.sh in your HouseOfMoto directory
    o) On first run:
    Enter your device model (xt926, xt875, etc)
    For Windows: Select flash mode: rsd or fastboot
    o) Flash mode on Windows can be changed from the main menu
    o) Phone model can be changed from the main menu
    o) Select the script you wish to flash
    o) Follow directions!

Adding the FXZ:

This part confuses a LOT of people so I'm going to use the FXZ for the xt926 as an example of how this should work. Obviously you'll need to use the proper FXZ for your device, but, the concept is generally the same.

This is a point that many get wrong so please follow this carefully...

When you open your VRZ_XT926_9.8.1Q-79-1_CFC.xml.zip file, you will see a directory inside it. You must go INTO the directory inside the zip. There you will see a whole bunch of files. Select them all, and extract them into the FXZ_xt926 folder. All the files must be at the root of the FXZ_xt926 folder, NOT in a sub folder within it. If you have this:

HouseOfMoto\FXZ_xt926\VRZ_XT926_9.8.1Q-79-1_CFC.xml\boot.img

It's wrong. If instead you have this:

HouseOfMoto\FXZ_xt926\boot.img

It's correct.

DEVICE SUPPORT:

o) xt875
    o) xt907
    o) xt912
    o) xt926
    o) xt1030
    o) xt1080

NOTES:

o) xtYYY is the device model...i.e. xt1058, xt895, etc

DA FAQ:
    Q: What flash mode should I pick?
    A: Whether you use RSD or fastboot is a personal choice and completely up to you. If you have problems flashing in one mode, you can switch to the other and try again to see if you get better results.

SUPPORT:

If I tell you to create a log and post it, you are to run the CreateLOG.bat file to your c:\HouseOfMoto directory and post the results in this thread.
    The House of Moto replacement project is moving along. I've nicknamed it the FXZ Flasher for now until I get all the bugs worked out and all the functionality I want added to it, but, essentially the latest version I posted today will allow you to drop the jar file (it's a java app) into an FXZ, run it (executable jar), select the FXZ's xml file, and then you can flash FULL or KEEP DATA options. It uses a hidden fastboot process to run each step from the FXZ's xml script. Once it's tested enough I'll add a custom option so you can select which steps to execute from the FXZ's xml file. The beauty of this solution is that as long as there's an FXZ for your device, this tool supports it automagically. No need for me to maintain support files. Plus it gives a UI to Linux and Mac users (in theory....untested at the moment as to whether it works) to flash FXZ files without custom scripts. It's my hope that it becomes more useful than the current batch file solutions we're all used to. Those who want to continue using RSD to flash can use my FXZ Script Generator to generate RSD scripts for your FXZ. That will also get a custom option at some point soon so you can select what to flash from the FXZ.
    I have Droid MAXX myself, still waiting for the new FXZs.
    All Droid Mini / Ultra / MAXX files are up again.
    Nice job got it up and running quick very simple instructions and user friendly when setting up.

Wait til you see what's coming. Script based utilities are history very soon. I've been busy with S4 stuff today as we just got 4.4 and I had to make ODIN images and update root, but, maybe tonight I'll get back to cleaning up my UI for the "no script flashing machine(tm)"! LMAO. It'll work on Windows, Linux, and Mac all from the same jar file. The POC is already done for it. Just need to clean it up and finish writing the flashing code.