[RECOVERY][ROOT] Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini LTE (GT-I9195)

Search This thread

hansare

Nov 16, 2010
Berkelland
@arco68

can you please provide me your source for GT-I9195_Kernel_v1.zip?
Because I would like to add bln mod to it and don't want to use the unmodified stock kernel from samsung.

I hope you succeed to add BLN.
That would be great.
Do you intend to share that BLN-upgraded kernel with us?
Thank you very much for that in advance.

---------- Post added at 01:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 AM ----------

Beware to all users that Samsung put the Knox counter in the last update today ver.I9195XXUBMJ7 Italy.

Does this mean that all earlier firmwares don't have the Knox problem?
So we can flash back if we want?

PIKO1982

Dec 29, 2008
Naples
Hi all. I ve flashed the last itv firmware xxubmj7 and i flashed the v1 kernel. Is this the last kernel available for 4.2.2?
Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9195 using xda app-developers app

Unjustified Dev

Recognized Developer
Oct 21, 2012
Memphis , TN

I didn't know how to contact you but I want to ask something please. My email is android.c357@gmail.com if you use hangouts please add me so that we can chat much faster it has to do with some kernel things with msm8930-common it's about merging changes from another msm8930 called lt02 which is the tab 3

Here's a diff of the mach dropped on top of yours
https://github.com/TeamRegular/andr...mmit/007fec8484d1e87dcade876846fdf3d9ce8bdb32

Sorry if this is the not the best way to contact you.

kieronspitter

Aug 18, 2013
I've recently purchased a galaxy express 2 device which is very similar in terms of specs as the s4 mini. Could anyone help me rooting this device?

I'm having trouble removing the three KNOX files. Maybe it's because I have the latest Samsung firmware installed?

I exactly followed arco68's steps. SuperSU app and binaries are installed. However, every time I allow root access the security information warning pops up with the little shield in the notification centre.

When trying to delete the files I enabled "Root Explorer" in ES File Explorer and chose "Allow" when it asked for root permissions, but I still cannot remove the files from /system/app. It just says it cannot remove them. Does anyone know what to do?

EDIT:
So I thought about this some more.... can't I just use CWM to delete the KNOX files?

Can I just make a script with something like

Code:
delete("/system/app/KNOXAgent.apk");
delete("/system/app/KNOXStore.apk");
delete("/system/app/ContainerAgent.apk");

put it in a zip on the sdcard, mount /system and run the script in CWM? I know next to nothing about scripting for CWM. Do I just put it in a zip file under the \META-INF\com\google\android\updater-script? Does it matter which binary I use?

If something could go very much wrong, please say so... otherwise I'm willing to try this.

Last edited:
I tried with a script as follows. It works:
Code:
ui_print("Mounting system partition....");
mount("ext4", "EMMC", "/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/system", "/system");

ui_print("Your warranty is now void! Enjoy!");

I put it in a zip on the sdcard in the META-INF/com/google/android directory, along with some update-binary I found somewhere and installed the zip in CWM.

The KNOX files are now gone along with the warning messages but:

- When I try to use root functions, they still fail, they continue to try to get root permissions, in a loop.
- When I open the SuperSU app, it asks me to update the su binary ("The SU binary needs to be updated. Continue ?"), but that fails too and cannot be used otherwise.

What's going on?

Last edited:

keekooceeaou

Aug 5, 2011
I had the same problem (couldn't update SuperSU from Google Play).
I updated SuperSU by flashing in CWM and problems with SU disappeared (on I9195XXUBMJ7 firmware).

ValenteL

Aug 25, 2011
Espinho
I tried with a script as follows. It works:
Code:
ui_print("Mounting system partition....");
mount("ext4", "EMMC", "/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/system", "/system");

ui_print("Your warranty is now void! Enjoy!");

I put it in a zip on the sdcard in the META-INF/com/google/android directory, along with some update-binary I found somewhere and installed the zip in CWM.

The KNOX files are now gone along with the warning messages but:

- When I try to use root functions, they still fail, they continue to try to get root permissions, in a loop.
- When I open the SuperSU app, it asks me to update the su binary ("The SU binary needs to be updated. Continue ?"), but that fails too and cannot be used otherwise.

What's going on?
It's normal. See my post #436 page #44.
Flash on recovery the UPDATE.SuperSU-1.65.zip from Chainfire. This solve the root problem.

And about KNOX I delete also the .odex files on Stock Roms.

Last edited:
Thanks, ValenteL! With the UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.65.zip installed via CWM I finally have root access!

I have no idea why the original binaries didn't work.... are they old and incompatible with newer firmware?

To arco68: Do you know why it didn't work?
Can new users install the UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.65.zip without installing the rootkit v1? Could you add this information to the start post?

Last edited:

ValenteL

Aug 25, 2011
Espinho
Thanks, ValenteL! With the UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.65.zip installed via CWM I finally have root access!
I have no idea why the original binaries didn't work.... are they old and incompatible with newer firmware?

To arco68: Do you know why it didn't work?
Can new users install the UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.65.zip without installing the rootkit v1? Could you add this information to the start post?

I always flash before, the RooKit V1 because it install the busybox 1.21.1 and the SuperSuNoNag-v1.00.apk also, a appl recommended by Chainfire to Dev.s on same Thread from SuperSu.
After I flash the UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.65.zip.

Reactions: Quigley

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    WARNING! ONLY USE THIS ON THE GT-I9195 MODEL!

Hello all S4 Mini owners!

I'm happy to finally release ClockworkMod recovery and an insecure kernel for the GT-I9195. With these two installed on your device, obtaining root is easy.

Attached to this post is the necessary files needed for this task. Download the following files:

• Odin_v3.09.zip (if you don't have it already)
    • recovery-clockwork-6.0.5.1-serranoltexx.tar.zip
    • S4Mini_RootKit_v2.zip (contains SuperSU v1.89 and BusyBox v1.21.1) ONLY FOR STOCK ROM! NOT FOR CM OR OTHER AOSP BASED ROMS!
    Extract recovery-clockwork-6.0.5.1-serranoltexx.tar.zip file to your computer.

The procedure is as:

1. Copy the " S4Mini_RootKit_v2.zip" to your device SD card.
    2. Turn off the phone.
    3. Press and hold home, volume down and power. Download screen should appear.
    4. Connect USB cable, and press volume up.
    5. Start Odin, uncheck "F. Reset Time", and then click AP button.
    6. Select "recovery-clockwork-6.0.5.1-serranoltexx.tar.md5" file that you previously extracted, and press Start button. The phone will reboot when finished.
    7. After the phone resets (it vibrates) IMMEDIATELY hold volume up and home buttons to boot into recovery mode.
    8. Select the option to install the ZIP file you have previously copied to your device and begin flashing it.
    9. After flashing using CWM, reboot into system and enjoy your rooted device.
    10. Optional: Flash GT-I9195_Kernel_v1.zip (Only for Android 4.2.2, not KitKat) to use a custom stock kernel, which might fix battery drain for some.
      Kernel changelog: https://github.com/arco/android_kernel_samsung_msm8930-common/commits/stock
    If you get warnings about applications doing not permitted actions, delete the following files from system/app, or let SuperSU fix it for you.

• KNOXAgent.apk
    • KNOXStore.apk
    • ContainerAgent.apk
    I'm still working on CM, and have the last few days been struggling with rewriting the audio config that defines mixer control and usages. Samsung uses completely different names than what's in the audio hal in CM, and rewriting it and testing is a huge pain. And then on top of that Android 4.3 was released, so even more work bringing that up too.
    [OFF-TOPIC] What do you think about releasing a second CM9/CM10 EOL for our old Galaxy W to include the MasterKey exploit patches? I don't think it's a good idea to leave us with security risks :)[/OFF-TOPIC]

Yes, there will be new releases of that soon. But keep that discussion to the Galaxy W forums. :)

Quick question before I root it, what do you mean by "insecure"? Certainly not shy, but as in unstable or as in unsafe?

An insecure kernel has disabled the root prevention checks that Samsung added. Other than that it's the same as stock kernel. Although in this kernel I also made two minor changes to allow apps to read the kernel log and the full logcat.
    Added version 6.0.5.1 to first post.
    Recovery version 6.0.5.0 added to first post.